PDA

View Full Version : The Great Bill Mooney

mountainman
01-28-2017, 10:00 PM
Passed away today after an epic and much celebrated battle with an aggressive cancer that attacked most parts of him.

As a racing historian, Bill had no peer, and this brilliant, driven, and supremely talented man considered it HIS responsibility to seek out, dig up and preserve every SINGLE bit, however obscure, of thoroughbred history that he could POSSIBLY salvage and keep from slipping away.

It was my honor to work with him, and eventually (Bill was an acquired taste) we became good friends.

We did have closure when Bill called to say goodbye several days before xmas. His pain was unfathomable, but his spirit remained strong, and I'm grateful for that chance to express my deep respect and admiration for a man whose likes we will not see again.

As an example of his boundless courage and indomitable will, when I gently suggested he simply let go, advised him that his race had been run and well won, he firmly responded: "No, not while there's still work to be done."

Sleep well my good friend, supporter, and mentor. Sleep well.

FakeNameChanged
01-29-2017, 09:58 AM
Nice tribute Mark. RIP.

bobbyt62
01-30-2017, 06:46 PM
sad to read of this. i worked for him (as a college internship) in the late 80's when he ran the publicity department at thistledown. bill loved the history of the game so much. mountainman, he told me some funny stories about harold moses. another of bills proteges who has really done well is damon thayer , current majority leader of the kentucky senate. i look back with fondness on those days , and am thankful for the opportunity to have know bill. goodnight bill...