PDA

View Full Version :  Federal Court Strikes a Big Blow Against Gerrymandering

maddog42
01-28-2017, 07:07 PM
 Federal Court Strikes a Big Blow Against Gerrymandering

https://www.thenation.com/article/democracy-wins-one-as-a-federal-court-strikes-a-big-blow-against-gerrymandering/

Saratoga_Mike
01-28-2017, 07:12 PM
Thank God -- I've lost sleep over this issue.

Actor
01-28-2017, 09:39 PM
"The boundaries of all Congressional districts, or any other political district, precinct, or area shall run North to South unless such boundary is the border of an adjoining state or of the United States."

That should take care of it. :cool:

Actor
01-28-2017, 09:48 PM
 Federal Court Strikes a Big Blow Against Gerrymandering

https://www.thenation.com/article/democracy-wins-one-as-a-federal-court-strikes-a-big-blow-against-gerrymandering/The Repugs are appealing.

The Dems will filibuster the confirmation of any Trump nominee to the court, so the court will remain 4-4.

In a tie the decision of the lower court stands.

So the Dems will bring similar suits in the other red states. The Repugs will do likewise in blue states.

Result: A blue house (and possibly a blue senate) in 2019. :cool:

JustRalph
01-28-2017, 10:00 PM
The Repugs are appealing.

The Dems will filibuster the confirmation of any Trump nominee to the court, so the court will remain 4-4.

In a tie the decision of the lower court stands.

So the Dems will bring similar suits in the other red states. The Repugs will do likewise in blue states.

Result: A blue house (and possibly a blue senate) in 2019. :cool:

You never heard of the Nuke option that Harry Reid invoked? Here it comes again.........

Trump will get his nominee

zico20
01-29-2017, 10:18 AM
I just hope that if gerrymandering for Republican districts goes away then it must also be eradicated for black districts also. It would be disgusting if they allowed gerrymandering because of the Civil Rights Act. Everyone on here knows that districts have been created to increase black membership, both at the state and federal levels.

Allowing ONLY oddly drawn districts to get more black politicians would then have to be a constitutional violation against white people. I bet blacks would be up in arms if they did away with their "safe" districts and their share plummeted.

You can't have it both ways moonbats.

zico20
01-29-2017, 10:20 AM
You never heard of the Nuke option that Harry Reid invoked? Here it comes again.........

Trump will get his nominee

Yes he will, the nuclear option will be used if it comes to that.

rastajenk
01-29-2017, 10:21 AM
I was thinking the same thing. Since when is gerrymandering a Republican sin? Some of the most egregiously head-scratching shaped districts are represented by Dems.

classhandicapper
01-29-2017, 10:43 AM
We should definitely work towards eliminating all gerrymandering.

Jess Hawsen Arown
01-29-2017, 11:59 AM
We should definitely work towards eliminating all gerrymandering.

It is always to the advantage of the political party in power. I'm hopeful that this becomes an issue for the Trump administration. We need some of those clever math whizzes from MIT and Cal Tech to come up with an equitable process based on population that is not manipulatable by politicians.

Marshall Bennett
01-29-2017, 12:20 PM
The way the press secretary explained this morning, unless I missed something, was that the judges order only applies to those that were in route at the time Trump signed the executive order.

HalvOnHorseracing
01-29-2017, 01:11 PM
I just hope that if gerrymandering for Republican districts goes away then it must also be eradicated for black districts also. It would be disgusting if they allowed gerrymandering because of the Civil Rights Act. Everyone on here knows that districts have been created to increase black membership, both at the state and federal levels.

Allowing ONLY oddly drawn districts to get more black politicians would then have to be a constitutional violation against white people. I bet blacks would be up in arms if they did away with their "safe" districts and their share plummeted.

You can't have it both ways moonbats.
Gerrymandering works two ways. Either you draw districts that are heavily black, in essence conceding a seat but making sure they won't have influence in multiple districts, or breaking up a black area by putting it in multiple districts so their vote is diluted. Either way it is meant to minimize black influence in an election. Same thing is true if you substitute Democrat for black.

As a hypothetical say you have a state with 3.5 million people and five congressional districts. Say two million are democrats and 1.5 million are republicans. Theoretically, 3 seats should be democrat, 2 republican. However, a republican house has drawn lines to cluster democrats in one district but disperse them over the other four so that the republicans get a 4 seat to 1 edge. That's the power of gerrymandering.

The point is to avoid what they now have in Wisconsin - drawing districts to favor one party. Breaking up neighborhoods in order to favor one party is supposed to be avoided.

If you look at how most states where there is one party dominance in the legislature draw their district lines, it is to favor their party. Not surprising the people who believe they are getting screwed want the lines to be drawn differently.

Tom
01-29-2017, 02:40 PM
The point is to avoid what they now have in Wisconsin - drawing districts to favor one party. Breaking up neighborhoods in order to favor one party is supposed to be avoided.

Oh, like this is something new?

HalvOnHorseracing
01-29-2017, 03:18 PM
Oh, like this is something new?
Apparently in Republican world, yes

Tom
01-29-2017, 07:22 PM
Oh, so for decades, it has only been a democrat action?
I thought so.

HalvOnHorseracing
01-29-2017, 09:44 PM
Oh, so for decades, it has only been a democrat action?
I thought so.
When the Democrats get control of some state legislatures, I'm sure they'll screw the Republicans like the Republicans screwed the Democrats. What goes around comes around.

MutuelClerk
01-29-2017, 09:45 PM
I wish the districts could secede from these two parties.

zico20
01-29-2017, 10:14 PM
When the Democrats get control of some state legislatures, I'm sure they'll screw the Republicans like the Republicans screwed the Democrats. What goes around comes around.

Hell will freeze over before the Democrats ever get control of my great state of Missouri. Missouri is fast becoming the most conservative state in the union. :jump:

Tom
01-30-2017, 08:16 AM

Been going on for long as I can remember,

rastajenk
01-30-2017, 10:24 AM
E. Gerry was a Founding Father kind of guy, so the practice pre-dates Republicans. Democrats, not so much. :p