PDA

View Full Version : California Chrome appreciation thread

PowerUpPaynter
01-28-2017, 10:52 AM
Good day,

Excited and saddened to watch his last race. Im not even betting it. Iv made my money on him. Just get around safe and enjoy retirement. Congrats big guy! - Not everyday we get a rags to riches story of this magnitude. Iv enjoyed the ride every step of the way.

Cheers

EMD4ME
01-28-2017, 06:16 PM
Chromies should be proud and cherish the memories.

Lemon Drop Husker
01-28-2017, 06:26 PM
Really good horse, with some decent longevity and connections willing to travel. Even to Dubai. Twice.

Won a lot of races.

Not as great as the "Chromies" ever claimed him to be, but certainly left a mark on American horse racing.

CC had a great career.

Alwaysonpoint36
01-28-2017, 06:28 PM
his bankroll speaks volumes....cant be disputed. great horse that anyone on this board would be ecstatic to own

olddaddy
01-28-2017, 06:59 PM
He did what I cant remember ever being done by a derby winner. Went to dubai twice, went to europe to run on grass, came back to run after a long layoff due to sickness and trained by truly nice guy that finally got his due. He will be remembered and should be.

upthecreek
01-28-2017, 07:21 PM
Sherman tells @tvg that X rays have been ordered on California Chrome's right front knee.
4:12 PM - 28 Jan 2017 from Hallandale Beach

pandy
01-28-2017, 07:26 PM
This is the first time he ran bad in his career. Obviously something was bothering him, he's a hard trying horse.

Lemon Drop Husker
01-28-2017, 07:30 PM
This is the first time he ran bad in his career. Obviously something was bothering him, he's a hard trying horse.

The "something" is when everything isn't his way, he doesn't win against as good or better horses.

Arrogate is simply better.

pandy
01-28-2017, 07:56 PM
The "something" is when everything isn't his way, he doesn't win against as good or better horses.

Arrogate is simply better.

I think arrogate is better, too but your comment is ridiculous. Chrome was monstrous off a wide trip in the world cup and ran many other big races including the breeder's cup

HuggingTheRail
01-28-2017, 08:16 PM
Zenyatta would have beat them both.... :lol: :lol:

joeyspicks
01-28-2017, 08:34 PM
Chrome a very good, maybe great horse..... no reason ever to be negative about him. I'm thankful I got to see him run.

AltonKelsey
01-28-2017, 08:36 PM
Chrome ran 6f and spit it out.

If anyone thinks that was a result of some lack of heart, they should give up the game.

Lemon Drop Husker
01-28-2017, 08:56 PM
I think arrogate is better, too but your comment is ridiculous. Chrome was monstrous off a wide trip in the world cup and ran many other big races including the breeder's cup

When he has ran against as good or better, he has always been beat.

Heck, Prince Bishop beat him. Who is he?

Arrogate has beat him twice. 2-0.

Name a race in which Chrome has beat anybody of note. ANYBODY.

Honestly, name a horse of note that Chrome has beat.

cj
01-28-2017, 09:37 PM

Beholder is probably the best horse he has beaten other than Shared Belief in the Classic when 3rd.

Alwaysonpoint36
01-28-2017, 09:37 PM

:D why are you fired up in an appreciation thread? He's a great horse who earned his retirement and owes nobody nothing.

PhantomOnTour
01-28-2017, 09:44 PM
He's a fantastic racehorse, and kudos to his connections for keeping him on the track for 27 races.
You have to go back to Silver Charm to find the last Derby winner who excelled past his 3yr old season....i guess you can include Funny Cide as well but he tailed off badly late in his career. Chrome never tailed off.

He was great for racing...what's not to appreciate about him?

thaskalos
01-28-2017, 09:46 PM

You were blaming EMD for trashing American Pharoah...and now you are doing the same to California Chrome.

cj
01-28-2017, 09:48 PM
You were blaming EMD for trashing American Pharoah...and now you are doing the same to California Chrome.

I don't see how anybody can trash either one. If you can't appreciate those two horses, what is the point?

MargieRose
01-28-2017, 09:50 PM

You're attempting to tear down a two-time Horse of the Year, etc., etc., etc., after his last race and in an 'appreciation' thread, no less. How so very petty of you!

thaskalos
01-28-2017, 09:54 PM
I don't see how anybody can trash either one. If you can't appreciate those two horses, what is the point?

We are getting spoiled...IMO. We've been seeing outstanding horses with surprising regularity lately...and we no longer appreciate the rarity of such occurrences. Normally...it would have taken a decade for American Pharoah's stature to be MATCHED...much less SURPASSED.

Alwaysonpoint36
01-28-2017, 09:57 PM
We are getting spoiled...IMO. We've been seeing outstanding horses with surprising regularity lately...and we no longer appreciate the rarity of such occurrences. Normally...it would have taken a decade for American Pharoah's stature to be MATCHED...much less SURPASSED.

:ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

AltonKelsey
01-28-2017, 10:07 PM
Chrome came to the end of a long career , overcame much mismanagement (remember England ??) , and simply was not himself today.

I suggest picking on more a more worthy target or risk making yourself the subject of ridicule.

Lemon Drop Husker
01-28-2017, 10:24 PM

Yes.

Please delete this post.

Dumbass will be dumbass

Alwaysonpoint36
01-28-2017, 10:26 PM
Yes.

Please delete this post.

Dumbass will be dumbass

did you have a stack or something w/CC in exotics? you're plenty out of character tonight dude :confused:

joeyspicks
01-28-2017, 10:31 PM

EXACTLY. :bang:

pandy
01-28-2017, 10:35 PM

Today's race, obviously something was bothering him.

His records speaks for itself. Secretariat lost to several not-so-great horses and probably never ran against a horse as fast as Arrogate, except for when he beat Forego in the Derby, but Forego wasn't Forego yet.

If you don't think he's a good horse, Okay.

Twin Double
01-28-2017, 10:35 PM
:eek: Seriously; the one time he felt a little pressure he came up short. People act like this horse belongs with the likes of Dr. Fager and stuff. Yes, he was the outstanding 3-year old horse

pandy
01-28-2017, 10:40 PM

Agree. I'm thankful we've had some top quality in recent years with Zenyatta, American Pharaoh, Shared Belief, Chalifornia Chrome, Arrogate. There was a long stretch there where after Cigar the only top horse was Ghostzapper, who only raced a few times.

EMD4ME
01-28-2017, 11:22 PM
:eek: Seriously; the one time he felt a little pressure he came up short. People act like this horse belongs with the likes of Dr. Fager and stuff. Yes, he was the outstanding 3-year old horse

You're starting to make up some ground, after a slow start :lol: :lol: :lol:

Lemon Drop Husker
01-28-2017, 11:42 PM
did you have a stack or something w/CC in exotics? you're plenty out of character tonight dude :confused:

Yeah. I know.

I can be an asshole.

dnlgfnk
01-29-2017, 12:01 AM
If Arrogate deserves all the accolades that many are in a rush to bestow upon him, than it must be stated that, under optimal conditions and as late as 3 months ago, California Chrome possessed brilliant speed to the degree that he drew significant effort from Arrogate in the BC Classic...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vkj3jtY-RPY

After the initial rousing to establish the lead, it was visually impressive to observe California Chrome maintain a dominant lead to the upper stretch in neutral gear before Arrogate, under strong urging, closed the distance between them.

It's quite possible to me that Chrome's physical issue is due to today's different trip (compare his runs to the backstretch) rather than precipitating his dull performance.

LottaKash
01-29-2017, 12:02 AM

Well, if you look at it that way, then who did Arrogate beat ?..

Bunch of nobodies too...haha..

Lemon Drop Husker
01-29-2017, 12:03 AM
Well, if you look at it that way, then who did Arrogate beat ?..

Bunch of nobodies too...haha..

Beat a 2 time HOTY. Twice. :p

LottaKash
01-29-2017, 12:20 AM

Yes, but you said that doesn't count for much, as he beat nobodies...

EMD4ME
01-29-2017, 12:22 AM
Yes, but you said that doesn't count for much, as he beat nobodies...

Oh boy....you're glutton for it.

EMD4ME
01-29-2017, 12:30 AM

I'll help you out. Grade 1 (VS OLDER) CIGAR MILE winner Connect

Grade 1 (VS OLDER) CLARK HANDICAP winner Gun Runner.

Beat 1 of 2 horses to beat American Fake, KEEN ICE, by a pole in the BCC.

Beat all 3 of them by POLES. (all going into the Pegasus).

AltonKelsey
01-29-2017, 12:37 AM
Chrome, obviously not right.

So someone who wants to be taken seriously as a horseplayer, would not be using that as an excuse to rant about supposed lack of whatever.

This is the kind of talk you'd get in an OTB parlor in 1984. The only thing missing is the stench of cigarette butts.

EMD4ME
01-29-2017, 12:40 AM
Chrome, obviously not right.

So someone who wants to be taken seriously as a horseplayer, would not be using that as an excuse to rant about supposed lack of whatever.

This is the kind of talk you'd get in an OTB parlor in 1984. The only thing missing is the stench of cigarette butts.

I agree, he obviously wasn't right, combine that with the early trip and you get these results.

Lemon Drop Husker
01-29-2017, 12:43 AM
I agree, he obviously wasn't right, combine that with the early trip and you get these results.

Not sure what we are talking about, but Arrogate IS better,right?

Lemon Drop Husker
01-29-2017, 12:48 AM
I'll help you out. Grade 1 (VS OLDER) CIGAR MILE winner Connect

Grade 1 (VS OLDER) CLARK HANDICAP winner Gun Runner.

Beat 1 of 2 horses to beat American Fake, KEEN ICE, by a pole in the BCC.

Beat all 3 of them by POLES. (all going into the Pegasus).

There is one thought that always sticks with me.

Find the Alpha in any race, and you have a winner.

The Alpha of all Alphas crushed.

EMD4ME
01-29-2017, 01:20 AM
Not sure what we are talking about, but Arrogate IS better,right?

If you're asking me who is a better horse, Arrogate.

If you're asking me who's "A Race" (ever) was better, Arrogate.

From all angles (except longevity in career), Arrogate.

That's not to demean California Chrome, that is a really NICE racehorse right there.