PDA

View Full Version : Magna...again

ranchwest
02-09-2002, 08:24 AM
From this morning's Star-Telegram (Ft. Worth):

Track sale is possible
Lone Star is target of Magna's interest

A sale of the company that manages Lone Star Park at Grand Prairie and holds the state license to conduct parimutuel wagering at the track appears to be picking up steam. A contract could be proposed within two weeks, according to several sources close to the negotiations.
------------------------------

That was from the paper version. I'll see if I can find a link.

Just when I thought things were unlikely to get much worse at Lone Star....

ranchwest
02-09-2002, 08:29 AM
Fort Worth Star Telegram on possible sale of Lone Star Park at Grand Prairie (http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/sports/2636502.htm)

smf
02-09-2002, 12:58 PM
RW,

Ceejay made mention here about a year ago that Remington had changed for the better (fan treatment) when Stronach took over in Oke city. While the employees at LS are the nicest around, the LS management doesn't listen or take into account the suggestions and/or complaints that would benefit both the track and the patrons(sounds like I don't have to tell you, hehehe).

The racing product here has gone down in the past 2-3 years. The mgmnt has been slow to improve the racing surface for the horsemen. Last season the General Admission price went up 50%, the parking up 100% (even with the NHPC "looking out for the players", ROTFLMAO). Maybe change is good in this case?

It might not hurt to boot the current mgmnt out. Since the quality of racing here has gone down, what do we have to lose?

ceejay
02-09-2002, 06:52 PM
Things had only one way to go at Remington. Without new management and serious changes they would likely be closed now. I would have rather seen LS buy RP to operate it as a minor league.

After 1.5 years in power Magna has added lights, and added more night racing and drink specials ($1 beers, margaritas) and tried to market to GenX-ers. They still seem insistant on trying to compete with high school football on Friday nights in the fall for attendance. pretty goofy in this market. They really need to decide if they care about local handle or not.

On the simulcast side, they are making it clear to me that that they would rather not handle my simulcast action. I was a member of their RP100 VIP club (which I paid for) to give me access to a non-smoking suite to play in. That is now only open when racing is live, but the price is the same, so I did not renew. It is apparrent that they don't care if I bet on the internet.

smf
02-09-2002, 08:06 PM
Ceejay,

I'm sorry to hear how Magna's move has turned out the way it has up there. It doesn't sound like Magna's so hot afterall.

It might be foolish on my part to guess that Magna won't buy LS b/c Frank S does some wild stuff that makes little sense (to me). But...., since AP re-opened, LS has really become a notch lower than before. Stidham and others bolted right away, then Ronnie Werner took his 2-3yo stars out last season which was a surprise. His owner (durant) lives 10 minutes from Lone Star, and that really hurt LS.

I can't see Frank buying another Tier2 track but I guess he's gonna try.

Vinnie
02-14-2002, 03:35 PM
Hey folks,

I just wanted to let you guys know that out here by Ocala, FL, Frank (a.k.a. Magna) is also planning on constructing an oval and serious simulcast outlet near the Adena Downs area (400 acres) that Frank S. owns. If you have been to Central Florida, the approximate location will be where I-27 meets I-75. I am glad that there will be a track closer to me so I can go watch some live racing from time to time. The site has been approved for construction, although I am not too sure if they have actually broken ground as of yet.

smf
02-14-2002, 04:00 PM
Vinnie,

I read where Ken McAlpine said that the Ocala track idea was shelved b/c of the tight reg's & restrictions that Fla has. Looks like it won't happen any day soon.

However I suppose you guys m/ get the simo outlet. A friend of mine is moving to the Ocala area next month and w/b glad to have something like that in his area. Good luck!

Vinnie
02-15-2002, 08:32 AM
Hello SMF,

How's it going? If what you say is true then I guess it is rather disappointing info. for me!<g>. However, more than anything, I just hope for a simo center at the very least because then, at the minimum I would have a place closer to me to be able to go and place wagers and watch some racing. The nearest place for me to do this at this point is the Orlando Jai Alai which is a real neat facility, but, it is about an hour or so up the road.

I appreciate the info SMF! Take Care and have a Super Holiday weekend.