PDA

View Full Version : Temperament and health problem trends among certain families

RacingFan1992
01-26-2017, 11:10 PM
This has been an interesting topic I notice when it comes to certain families of racehorses. What are some things you notice about health problems and temperament in certain genetic families of horses.

Nasrullash, Nashua, Man O' War, Hard Tack, War Admiral and Seabiscuit had nasty tempers that were a useful tool yet awful weapon.

Dr. Fager, TaWee, and Aspridita had stomach issues when the weather heated up.

Seattle Slew, Landaluce, and Swale either suffered from colitis or heart defect.

Alydar and Easy Goer hated fighting in a contest for the lead coming into the stretch.

Native Dancer, Natalma, and Northern Dancer were plagued with hoof and leg problems.

Bleinhem and Whirlaway were crazy and unpredictable as all get out.

Those were some I noticed. What are some that you can think of?

Fager Fan
01-27-2017, 07:58 AM
Unbridled and soft bone.

Tapits have tempers.

Storm Cat passed on offset knees.

chadk66
01-27-2017, 08:57 AM
This has been an interesting topic I notice when it comes to certain families of racehorses. What are some things you notice about health problems and temperament in certain genetic families of horses.

Nasrullash, Nashua, Man O' War, Hard Tack, War Admiral and Seabiscuit had nasty tempers that were a useful tool yet awful weapon.

Dr. Fager, TaWee, and Aspridita had stomach issues when the weather heated up.

Seattle Slew, Landaluce, and Swale either suffered from colitis or heart defect.

Alydar and Easy Goer hated fighting in a contest for the lead coming into the stretch.

Native Dancer, Natalma, and Northern Dancer were plagued with hoof and leg problems.

Bleinhem and Whirlaway were crazy and unpredictable as all get out.

Those were some I noticed. What are some that you can think of?very interesting stuff. I trained during many of those horses era's and didn't know most of that. curious where or how you came up with it. the availability of that info than surely isn't what it is today:ThmbUp:

Big Peps
01-27-2017, 10:05 AM
I have heard that many Freud's have foot issues. Don't know

DSB
01-27-2017, 10:18 AM
One of Maryland's great sires, Not For Love, was known for throwing foals with club foot.

I had one.

jballscalls
01-27-2017, 10:30 AM
There was a sire in Washington named Delineator and his offspring were famous for being crazy and having extreme tempers. But some of them were quite fast.

nijinski
01-27-2017, 02:47 PM
Halo was very hot tempered and his champion son Sunday Silence apparently
wasn't easy to handle . Said to have taken a couple of chunks out of his stud groom .
Storm Bird was also nasty and Storm Cat's are very talented
But also many have a reputation of being difficult and fiery .

I guess it depends on the mom too but many stories out there about
those bloodlines .