PDA

View Full Version : "The Agency"

Teach
01-24-2017, 08:54 AM
“What’ll you have?” our waitress asked. “I’ll have the veal parm with spaghetti,” I replied.

I was sitting at a table in an Italian restaurant. I was seated across from my long-time friend, Nick.

Well, after the waitress had taken our orders, Nick and I engaged in small talk. At the time, I was teaching high school history. Nick, for his part, had just come back from a town in Northern Virginia called Warrenton.
As we waited for our waitress to come back with our entrees, we started talking about our families. I remember Nick saying how much he missed his wife and children.

Well, it was then that I asked, “How are things going at the Central Intelligence Agency?” I recall that at that moment, just as soon as I had uttered the words, “Central Intelligence Agency,” Nick stared across the table at me. His fixated glance was unsettling. It was then that I asked, “Nick, is there something wrong?” Nick then said in a hushed, but emphatic tone, “Walt, don’t ever say the words ‘Central Intelligence Agency’ or even the initials ‘C.I.A.’ in my presence.” He added, “You may think what I’m going to say is “nuts”. That I’m crazy. Paranoid. “But,” he continued, “there are people out there who would want to do me harm, even kill me, that is if they knew what I did and for whom I’m working.” I’m not,” he added, “exaggerating, Walt. This is reality. The reality of working for a government intelligence agency.” Nick concluded, “If for some reason, you need to ask me about the C.I.A, and we’re out in public, just say the words ‘The Agency’”.

That evening as we ate our meals and sipped on glasses of Chianti, Nick gave me a brief overview about what he did at “The Agency”. In hindsight, he couldn’t tell me very much because, as he subtly put it, “There are many things that are not for public disclosure.”

Well, as I was driving home from the restaurant that evening, Nick’s comments gave me pause for thought. Before that evening I hadn’t any idea of the dangers inherent in working for our U.S. intelligence community. I also gained a greater appreciation of the sacrifices made by and the dangers inherent in that type of work. That, on a daily basis, the members of the U.S. intelligence community put their lives on the line to keep America safe.

That’s why, recently, I was appalled at the carefree demeanor of our President as he addressed members of the C.I.A this past Saturday. To think that the President of the United States, standing in front of a memorial wall that lovingly remembers 117 dedicated C.I.A. agents who made the ultimate sacrifice in service to this country, could banter about such meaningless, self-aggrandizing topics is beyond my imagination. Frankly, I believe, that under those circumstances, the President’s approach was totally inappropriate. Yes, I’ll say it, they were shameful. Would DJT have talked about his inauguration numbers at a wreath-laying ceremony at Arlington National Cemetery?

Further, why is our Commander-in-Chief, during his visit to C.I.A. Agency headquarters in Langley, VA, addressing the agents about the number of time he’s appeared on the cover of national magazines? For the life of me… Then, the President airs his “dirty linen” with the news media. His inference was that the “dishonest” media was to blame for his rift with the intelligence community. The “Master Projectionist” is at it, again.
Further, I agree with former C.I.A. Director, John Brennan, “…that Trump should be ashamed of himself. It’s all about his self-aggrandizement. “Me.” “Me.” “Me.”

Furthermore, who gives a rat’s derriere how many people in that room voted for Donald Trump (“I’m not going to ask you to raise your hands”). You’ve got to be kidding me. Talk about insecurity. Furthermore, on that visit to Langley, the first words out of POTUS’s mouth should have been, “Thank you for your dedicated service to our country.”

At the conclusion of his remarks, President Trump tells C.I.A. agents: “I love you. I respect you…” Frankly, when I heard those words, I shook my head. Those kind of comments are usually saved for time where one wishes to assuage one’s wife or lover, maybe over some kind of dispute or even infidelity, but not - under those circumstances - to C.I.A. agents. President Trump then added, “We’re going to start winning again, and you’re going to start leading the charge.” Teddy Roosevelt, where are you?

At this juncture, let me state that my critique is constructive. I hope that Donald Trump grows into the job as President of The United States. My comments have nothing to do with the fact that I am a Democrat, with a capital “D” and a democrat, with a small “d”. This is not a case of “sour grapes”. In fact, I applaud some of President Trump’s early EOs, e.g., TTF, government bloat, etc. This not about policy, it’s about refinement.

In conclusion, I believe we’d all concur that becoming The President of The United States is serious business. I’m sure we also realize that this is not some beauty pageant or reality show. Further, I believe that the comments of The President of the U.S. when spoken, in public, must be both carefully crafted and appropriate for the circumstances, whether he’s speaking with foreign heads of state or, as we most recently witnessed, at “The Agency”.

boxcar
01-24-2017, 09:05 AM
Let Trump speak his mind while he simultaneously implements his policies and agenda. The honesty is a very cool, refreshing breeze compared to the "refined", sophisticated, eloquent, silver-tongued stench we get from establishment politicians.

chadk66
01-24-2017, 09:10 AM
this will surprise nobody considering his hatred for Israel

cj's dad
01-24-2017, 09:10 AM
Wasn't he given a standing ovation at the end of his remarks ? Also, if I remember correctly no, as in zero, agents faces were shown.

By the way, I think your story is a stretch !

Teach
01-24-2017, 09:19 AM
CurtisontheBay-

They're not going to show the agents' faces - under any circumstances - for obvious reasons. As for a standing ovation, you can call it what you will. One news source (I cannot personally verify this) said that the room not only included CIA agents but also included a large following of Trump supporters.

FantasticDan
01-24-2017, 09:23 AM
Wasn't he given a standing ovation at the end of his remarks ?Trump filled the room with his toadies, and they were the ones who supplied the "enthusiastic" reactions. No CIA agent is going to whoop and holler in front of their hallowed Memorial Wall. There have been many reports of how agents there were insulted by the "performance".

http://www.vanityfair.com/news/2017/01/donald-trump-cia-speech

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/sources-say-theres-a-sense-of-unease-in-intel-community-after-trump-cia-visit/

Tom
01-24-2017, 09:39 AM
Ah, yes...cBS.

Alt. News.

boxcar
01-24-2017, 09:45 AM
Trump filled the room with his toadies, and they were the ones who supplied the "enthusiastic" reactions. No CIA agent is going to whoop and holler in front of their hallowed Memorial Wall. There have been many reports of how agents there were insulted by the "performance".

http://www.vanityfair.com/news/2017/01/donald-trump-cia-speech

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/sources-say-theres-a-sense-of-unease-in-intel-community-after-trump-cia-visit/

If I were one of those "insulted" agents, I'd tender my resignation immediately.
I'm sure they could find a much better gig elsewhere -- maybe in Syria or Cuba or something. Maybe Putin would pick them up... :lol:

johnhannibalsmith
01-24-2017, 10:03 AM
Walt, since I know part of this endeavor for you is to enjoy the writing part of it, I'm going to do something I wouldn't ordinarily do and reveal my OCD with what I hope is a constructive criticism. I won't lie, maybe nobody else notices it, but I see it and bothers me so that it manages to interrupt my reading.

For all intents and purposes there are ten paragraphs there. There are, uh, a lot, not sure just how many, of words to choose from.

The word 'well' starts 3 of 10 paragraphs.

The root word 'that' starts 2 of 10.

The word 'at' starts 2 of 10.

The root word 'further' starts 2 of 10.

That's 9 of 10 paragraphs starting with just four unique words. Sometimes it is done intentional and is great but when it isn't, maniacs like me trip all over it for some reason. Perhaps it was intentional. I don't see it if it is. Maybe you could not care less, which is fine, I just couldn't suppress the need to let you know.

Clocker
01-24-2017, 11:18 AM
“The Agency”.

We get it: you don't like Trump's persona or style. Or lack thereof.

Any and all references to the CIA in this post were superfluous and gratuitous, adding nothing to the message of your sermon but distracting from what I assume you were trying to say. I keep looking for relevance, and found none.

Brevity is the soul of with. And wisdom.

Greyfox
01-24-2017, 11:23 AM
I'm surprised Teach that you even knew that Nick worked for the C.I.A.
Even the spouses supposedly don't know that in many instances.
Remember: Loose lips, sink ships.
Nick must have talked too much for you to find out. No?

HalvOnHorseracing
01-24-2017, 11:27 AM
“What’ll you have?” our waitress asked. “I’ll have the veal parm with spaghetti,” I replied.

Veal parm? Who ruins a good piece of veal by covering it in cheese and red gravy? No salad? No soup?

And why didn't we get to know what Nick ordered?

PaceAdvantage
01-24-2017, 11:27 AM
Teach, you have Trump all figured out...congrats man...

Except you don't.

It's a new paradigm baby...Trump world...get on the train, or continue to stare in amazement at things that, in your world at least, "just aren't supposed to be."

It's got to be frustrating for you, I understand. Happy to provide you with an outlet here...anything I can do for you, friend, to ease your pain and your burden.... :ThmbUp:

Clocker
01-24-2017, 11:34 AM
It's got to be frustrating for you, I understand. Happy to provide you with an outlet here...anything I can do for you, friend, to ease your pain and your burden.... :ThmbUp:

Safe space? Crayons? A warm puppy?

Clocker
01-24-2017, 11:55 AM
That’s why, recently, I was appalled at the carefree demeanor of our President as he addressed members of the C.I.A this past Saturday. To think that the President of the United States, standing in front of a memorial wall that lovingly remembers 117 dedicated C.I.A. agents who made the ultimate sacrifice in service to this country, could banter about such meaningless, self-aggrandizing topics is beyond my imagination. Frankly, I believe, that under those circumstances, the President’s approach was totally inappropriate. Yes, I’ll say it, they were shameful. Would DJT have talked about his inauguration numbers at a wreath-laying ceremony at Arlington National Cemetery?

In 2009, President Obama stood in front of that same wall and talked about "meaningless, self-aggrandizing topics", laughing and chatting about trivia things.

President Obama stood in front of that very same wall and said, on April 20, 2009, according to the CIA’s own transcript, this:PRESIDENT BARACK OBAMA: Thank you, everybody. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you, everybody. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

Well, thanks — thank you for the extraordinary welcome. And thanks for those of you who prepared, from the CIA gift shop, the t-shirts — (laughter) — the caps, the water bottles. (Laughter.) Michelle and the girls will appreciate that very much. (Laughter.)

Yes, of course there is video of the moment, as supplied here by none other than the New York Times, that graphically shows both then-CIA Director Leon Panetta, the President, and the CIA employees themselves all joking, laughing, and cheering in a manner that would never even be considered at, say, Arlington Cemetery. At one point Obama even jokes to the audience response, “I got an Amen Corner around here” — which is greeted with a gale of laughter.

Got a good look at that? There is the President of the United States making his first appearance at the CIA. Not one day after being sworn in, as was true of President Trump, but three months later. And what does he do? He opens by cracking jokes about t-shirts, caps, and water bottles. By bringing the visit back to his family. And being greeted by, according to the transcript, repeated “laughter.” Worse still, he was introduced by his new CIA Director, Leon Panetta, who was, again according to the CIA’s transcript, greeted by CIA employees with “Extended cheers, applause” and three rounds of laughter. All vividly evident on video.

https://spectator.org/trump-at-the-cia-the-medias-double-standard/ (https://spectator.org/trump-at-the-cia-the-medias-double-standard/)

PaceAdvantage
01-24-2017, 12:02 PM
That's OK...Teach and all those Trump bashers will ignore such trivialities as Obama yucking it up in front of the SACRED WALL, as they continue to try and paint Trump as Hitler part deux...

I love it, personally. I think Trump's win in 2020 will be even more satisfying than the 2016 version, now that I think about it.

FantasticDan
01-24-2017, 12:33 PM
That's OK...Teach and all those Trump bashers will ignore such trivialities as Obama yucking it up in front of the SACRED WALL, as they continue to try and paint Trump as Hitler part deux...

Obama's speech was all about the CIA.. its officers, mission, challenges, future..

https://www.cia.gov/news-information/speeches-testimony/president-obama-at-cia.html

Trump's speech was a rambling mess that was mostly about.. TRUMP.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/trump-cia-speech-transcript/

PaceAdvantage
01-24-2017, 12:37 PM
Didn't sound like it was ALL about the CIA to me...didn't sound as if Obama was holding to the SANCTITY of the WALL.

Nice damage control Dan. Keep up the yeoman's work. :ThmbUp:

davew
01-24-2017, 12:38 PM
I wonder how much this agency gets downsized/defunded during the rest of Trumps' presidency. Do we still need to overthrow governments and fund, arm and train terrorists?

woodtoo
01-24-2017, 01:29 PM
Good point davew, it seems most times they are "up to no good" interfering in other governments, doing what Russia is condemned for. Didn't they set the stage for the Arab spring also?