PDA

View Full Version : Gulfstream Park Exaggerated Post times

Boca Poppy
01-23-2017, 08:25 PM
Is anyone else disgusted by the exaggerated post parades at Gulfstream Park.
I remember four or five years ago when the race that started the rainbow six was always delayed four or five minutes. Today almost every race seems to have a 5-8 minute delay. I've never seen 0 MTP on a tv screen for 5 or 10 minutes unless it's Gulfstream Park.

Does anyone know if they are in violation of any Florida Parimutuel laws by extending these post times?

Thanks

EasyGoer89
01-23-2017, 08:32 PM
If they're not going to honor mtp they should just have the race number why have an MTP if the number on the screen has nothing to do with actual post time.

This stuff is certainly a 'peeve' of many, no excuse for it, just another example of horse players getting pimp slapped.

porchy44
01-23-2017, 08:37 PM
Northfield Park and Thistledowns, both in the Cleveland Ohio area do the exact same thing.

ultracapper
01-23-2017, 10:38 PM
Longacres would be 45 minutes late for the last post every card. 5 minutes here, 8 minutes there. If there wasn't enough money in the pools and there were still enough people milling around the windows, the horses, as they were heading for the gate, would make one more turn, known as the Morrie Turn, named after the president of Longacres at the time, Morrie Alhaddef. This was to make sure everybody got in their bets, and any other bets that might pop into their minds while they were waiting for the race to finally start.

I lost thousands over the years making additional bets into the Morrie Turn. And they were always exotic bets. "Got the winner, this one scares me, awe, damn, I better box them just in case". Always tore those up.

Jack950
01-23-2017, 10:46 PM
Yeah GP and Tampa are frustrating no doubt. Much prefer the NYRA circuit where they run the race on a set post time schedule. GP and Tampa are 5-7 minutes behind the clock.

EMD4ME
01-24-2017, 05:54 AM
I agree. When aqu had the 1.2 million pick 6 the other day, they waited an extra minute and it was an unusual but welcome event . I always seem to look up and see GP at 0 min for quite a while.

upthecreek
01-24-2017, 06:46 AM
Sometimes I think they do it on purpose to screw with other tracks and TVG I was watching one day GP was in their 5 min circle and it was nearing PT in NY As soon as NY started loading,so did GP,horse for horse

Boca Poppy
01-24-2017, 09:41 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong but shouldn't the trainers and owners be upset by this?
Isn't there a greater chance of something happening to a horse during the Post Parade?

I've been watching and playing for 20 plus years but I'm not a horseman. However, there must be a reason why 25 minutes is the average time between races with about 10 minutes for actual galloping (sometimes less).

Isn't there a greater chance in a 20 minute period of horses galloping and jogging around (not following early morning work out track etiquette) of something bad happening than in an 8 or 10 minute time frame?

If I was an owner or trainer with full confidence in my entry, I think I'd be upset about an extra 10 minute warm up so that Stronach can fatten the pools while my horse is navigating around 10 other horses, not to mention 10 outriders.

And as for the bettors, well we all know the effects of this. It's terrible! You go to the window or place a bet in your ADW thinking you've got a good price and 5 minutes later the post parade is still taking place and your 5/1 just went to 2/1 and your exactas all need to be rebalanced.

Shouldn't there be something in the state laws to protect horses, horsemen and bettors when it comes to this issue?

Thanks

Si2see
01-24-2017, 12:09 PM
Has anybody noticed that on several occasions Gulfstream and Oaklawn will load and even gates open at the same time ?

If Oaklawn has between 6-8 mtp and Gulfstream has 0 the gates will open simultaneously

Jason

JimmyQ
01-24-2017, 12:18 PM
Has anybody noticed that on several occasions Gulfstream and Oaklawn will load and even gates open at the same time ?

If Oaklawn has between 6-8 mtp and Gulfstream has 0 the gates will open simultaneously

Jason

Yes I was watching and noticing the same thing a couple Saturday's ago. It was like 2-3 straight races they both opened the gate at the same time. I thought it was the craziest thing

Also, I've noticed the horses at Gulfstream aren't even leaving the walking ring and heading out to the track until 5 MTP where most tracks go at the 10 MTP mark. I think this is clearly a sign that they've informed the jockey's and horseman that there will be a 4-5 minute extended PT every race.

It isn't right but they've obviously informed someone

JimmyQ

johnhannibalsmith
01-24-2017, 02:01 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but shouldn't the trainers and owners be upset by this?

I think the most aggravating aspect of this from that perspective is being in the next race. Most horses and their people have a routine for everything. Getting ready to go up is one of those things. I'm a bit more OCD than your average cat but I wanted to do as little as possible until the last possible second so I didn't have a horse standing in the stall or on the washrack for ten minutes in bridle, lathered in trainer's choice, getting all anxious because he knows what's going on and now we are stuck at a red light that doesn't seem to be working. They call you to get ready, they call you to come up, but if you rely on it and they screw up and you wind up late to the paddock, guess who's fault that is.

Most people I know look at the post time of the race before them. They know they're going to be called up right around post time, more likely a minute or two later so the departing horses can get out of the way before the arriving horses. So you figure out how long this horse takes to get ready, count backwards, if it takes ten minutes, the prior race is 2:15, you stencil into your mind to get ready at 2:05. If they wind up not calling you until 2:25... that just really sucks when you are a control freak and being a control freak isn't the worst attribute in this realm. I'd rather my horse warm up on the track for ten more minutes than stand around ready to run but in a holding pattern getting all stupid before we even leave for the paddock.

ReplayRandall
01-24-2017, 02:15 PM
Gulfstream does itself a huge disservice by not being punctual with its post times. For those who used to make conditional wagers via ADW's, those bettors have all but given up on getting anything close to their conditional wager odds. Consequently, the mgt. at GP must not mind losing that business, as they all must be financial wizards using the laggard way of finally having races go off......Simply stupefying.

SG4
01-24-2017, 10:06 PM
Gulfstream does itself a huge disservice by not being punctual with its post times. For those who used to make conditional wagers via ADW's, those bettors have all but given up on getting anything close to their conditional wager odds. Consequently, the mgt. at GP must not mind losing that business, as they all must be financial wizards using the laggard way of finally having races go off......Simply stupefying.

I wondered if originally maybe tracks were delaying after 0 MTP in order to counteract the last minute conditional betting since there were so many complaints about giant odds changes right after the gate opened. However, now it appears this is just a disservice to the customer & horsemen. Seems like the majority of money comes into the pool almost as horses are loading in the gate anyway still.

mistergee
01-25-2017, 11:53 AM
Many years ago I remember Hialeah Park used to delay post time until eventually you would hear the bell ring signalling the "State" had stopped the betting. So maybe the same rules that were in effect then are still now but not being enforced?

2low
01-25-2017, 05:44 PM
I've often wondered what's longer - last minute of a close NBA game, or the last minute to post at GP.

MonmouthParkJoe
01-25-2017, 05:54 PM
The drag at gulfstream is ridiculous. You would think all the tracks would benefit by coordinating post times and not running on top of each other, but with them it is almost impossible.

Meadowlands harness does the same thing. They have the 0MTP on the tote board, but off to the side out of view is another with at least 4 to 5 mtp for the drivers to know when the race is going off. Drives me nuts.

johnhannibalsmith
01-25-2017, 06:11 PM
Damn, sounds like the "Rillito Shuffle" must have gone by the wayside in the last couple of years. :D