PDA

View Full Version : Feb 4th: Withers, Holy Bull, Robert B Lewis

PowerUpPaynter
01-23-2017, 08:00 AM
Figured id start a thread about the 3 pts races on the 4th to kick start some derby chatter. Anyone know who is pointed where? The Florida horses look strong this year.

Spalding No!
01-23-2017, 01:06 PM
Withers nomination PPs:

https://www.equibase.com/premium/eqbHorsemenAreaDownloadAction.cfm?sn=SNPP-AQU-20170204-541884

PowerUpPaynter
01-23-2017, 04:16 PM
Withers nomination PPs:

https://www.equibase.com/premium/eqbHorsemenAreaDownloadAction.cfm?sn=SNPP-AQU-20170204-541884

Certainly looks like another weak NY crop. Is Mo Town staying in NY or shipping out?

With all the talent in Florida, woulda thought it would be smart to put the Jersey bred Irish War Cry in NY for the winter. The Florida talent pool is stacked and there is only so many points to go around. The NY prep season looks like a nice easy way to get your horse to the derby whereas your gonna have to run some hard tough races to pick up points....

PowerUpPaynter
01-23-2017, 04:39 PM
... in florida

dont know why i wrote it that way. pure brain fart

Spalding No!
01-23-2017, 11:45 PM
Certainly looks like another weak NY crop. Is Mo Town staying in NY or shipping out?

The NY prep season looks like a nice easy way to get your horse to the derby whereas your gonna have to run some hard tough races to pick up points....
Just a note on a couple nominees.

Likely favorite El Areeb looks like another mid-Atlantic prospect a la Smarty Jones, Afleet Alex, and Barbaro. Exchange Rate was a very good stallion and this horse hails from a strong Sam-Son Farm family.

Also, I mentioned in a different thread the coincidence of the Claiborne broodmare Narrate showing up in a couple pedigrees this year. Sure enough, there is a 3rd Derby prospect. The NY-bred Haul Anchor actually has a blue-blooded pedigree. His 4th dam is Narrate, 3rd dam Yarn, and 2nd dam Spunoutofcontrol (the dam of Fed Biz).

Haul Anchor is by Bernardini. Coincidentally, another Withers nominee, Win With Pride is a "nephew" of Bernardini, having the late Cara Rafaela as his 2nd dam.

PowerUpPaynter
02-02-2017, 07:15 AM
Holy Bull is an absoluute stacked field. Finally a good race on the trail... Irish War Cry could pull the upset.

Raider
02-02-2017, 08:45 AM
The RBL and the Withers look week. Since I work nights, its a good thing, I won't wake up early to watch either one of them, (at least not on purpose). The Holy Bull. that one I do want to watch live.

Lemon Drop Husker
02-04-2017, 08:46 AM
Holy Bull is an absoluute stacked field. Finally a good race on the trail... Irish War Cry could pull the upset.

Holy Bull is an interesting race.

First back for the 2YO champ after his BC Juvy victory. Not sure that Classic Empire is the 3/5 lock that his ML suggests.

Gunnevera, Fact Finding, Talk Logistics, Cavil, and Irish War Cry present an intriguing field.

Will definitely be watching IWC with interest in his 1st go at 2 turns. Training well and 1st time Lasix.

CincyHorseplayer
02-04-2017, 11:20 AM

Love the pedigree and exceptional closing speed. Distance well within the wheel house. This colt is the key to $ money in this race IMO. :ThmbUp:

PowerUpPaynter
02-04-2017, 12:56 PM
Fact Finding scratched... anyone know why?

CincyHorseplayer
02-04-2017, 06:00 PM
Love the pedigree and exceptional closing speed. Distance well within the wheel house. This colt is the key to $ money in this race IMO. :ThmbUp:

9/2 Nope!

Yes the TC season is here. Excited for watching it evolve but it has become a relatively useless betting venture with the parade of underlays and avoidance.

delsully
02-04-2017, 06:23 PM
9/2 Nope!

Yes the TC season is here. Excited for watching it evolve but it has become a relatively useless betting venture with the parade of underlays and avoidance.

The price scared me away too, he looked good today though.

Any word on why Fact Finding scratched?

CincyHorseplayer
02-04-2017, 06:27 PM
The price scared me away too, he looked good today though.

Any word on why Fact Finding scratched?

I didn't hear anything. I thought 6-1 was a reasonable expectation for stretchout horse facing the likes of Classic Empire. 4-1 was absolute dogshit! I didn't have the time to play any horizontal bets today. This would have been an include.

Lemon Drop Husker
02-04-2017, 07:02 PM
I didn't hear anything. I thought 6-1 was a reasonable expectation for stretchout horse facing the likes of Classic Empire. 4-1 was absolute dogshit! I didn't have the time to play any horizontal bets today. This would have been an include.

Yeah, I'm with you Cincy.

15/1 ML, which was an obvious joke, but 9/2 to 4/1? Too many smart people got on him. :p

I was looking forward to this day to bet on IWC. Hopes crushed. :(

dilanesp
02-04-2017, 07:04 PM
Yeah, I'm with you Cincy.

15/1 ML, which was an obvious joke, but 9/2 to 4/1? Too many smart people got on him. :p

Sometimes the smart money is actually smart.

Lemon Drop Husker
02-04-2017, 07:19 PM
Sometimes the smart money is actually smart.

Wow.

We've found Smart Money. It is dilanesp.

Will you ever release selections to the minions?

tanner12oz
02-04-2017, 07:48 PM
I got a future on iwc so I'm.happy with the effort. I dont think we have seen this horses best yet

CincyHorseplayer
02-04-2017, 07:56 PM
What a dull effort from CE. His race as a workout would not have looked very impressive. Once he settled, he idled. No gas.

Lemon Drop Husker
02-04-2017, 07:57 PM
I got a future on iwc so I'm.happy with the effort. I dont think we have seen this horses best yet

Yep.

Romped and was still green.

dilanesp
02-04-2017, 08:22 PM
Wow.

We've found Smart Money. It is dilanesp.

Will you ever release selections to the minions?

No, I'm dumb money. :) I was simply noting that a not insignificant amount of the time, "steam" horses actually come in.

delsully
02-04-2017, 08:34 PM
What a dull effort from CE. His race as a workout would not have looked very impressive. Once he settled, he idled. No gas.

Shades of Mohaymen? Looked an awful lot like last year's FL derby.

Spalding No!
02-04-2017, 09:50 PM
Yep.

Romped and was still green.
Definitely stepped it up, but was gifted an easy lead with the scratch of Fact Finding. Still was a bit rank or at least under stout restraint down the backstretch. He's going to have to settle in the future. Previous race he was headed a couple of times and failed to get away from his rival while all out, so he still needs to show more under pressure.

For now, keeping him in line with Danzing Candy in CA last winter. Next out hopefully shows if he can go on with it.

Lemon Drop Husker
02-04-2017, 09:59 PM
Definitely stepped it up, but was gifted an easy lead with the scratch of Fact Finding. Still was a bit rank or at least under stout restraint down the backstretch. He's going to have to settle in the ture. Previous race he was headed a couple of times and failed to get away from his rival while all out, so he still needs to show more under pressure.

For now, keeping him in line with Danzing Candy in CA last winter. Next out hopefully shows if he can go on with it.

Fair enough.

IWC hasn't won anything of note.

PowerUpPaynter
02-04-2017, 10:13 PM
im liking that 26.8 Iriish War Cry pool 1 future bet. Jersey bred, gotta love it.

Secondbest
02-04-2017, 11:05 PM
CE was all lathered up going in the gate.

CincyHorseplayer
02-04-2017, 11:15 PM
CE was all lathered up going in the gate.

I saw him. He looked fine out on the track before the race. He just didn't fire today. It's only February 4th anyway but I was expecting a big run out of him.

CincyHorseplayer
02-04-2017, 11:16 PM
No, I'm dumb money. :) I was simply noting that a not insignificant amount of the time, "steam" horses actually come in.

That's pretty funny! I have definitely found that a little self deprecation goes a long way! :cool:

FrankieFigs
02-05-2017, 02:41 AM
Even though he didn't beat much, I was once again impressed with El Areeb. I think it's a good idea that the connections are talking about skipping the Gotham. A little break couldn't hurt.

And Irish War Cry did a fine job today. Didn't know how he would do around 2 turns the first time, but definitely had no issue.

PowerUpPaynter
02-05-2017, 10:53 AM
Whats up with El Areeb wearing a necklace?