PDA

View Full Version : Chrome 2016 HOY

EasyGoer89
01-21-2017, 10:29 PM
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/219232/california-chrome-again-horse-of-the-year

EasyGoer89
01-21-2017, 11:13 PM
Vote totals

CC 202

A 40

Songbird 5

Highland Reel 1

zico20
01-22-2017, 12:53 AM
Well deserving. Lets hope he finishes off a glorious career with a track record performance. :ThmbUp:

nancy4487
01-22-2017, 07:33 AM
I echo the above wholeheartedly.

PowerUpPaynter
01-22-2017, 11:03 AM
That horse has been so much fun for me to watch. A true all time great. Win or lose I just pray he gets around the track safe and sound and goes on to enjoy retirement and the rest of his life. I absolutely love that horse and he has made me a fair amount of money over his career. Thank you Chrome.

PhantomOnTour
01-22-2017, 12:10 PM
HOY is Le'Veon Bell, duh...

cj
01-22-2017, 12:45 PM
If he didn't win we wouldn't have been graced with that awesome speech by Perry Martin.

94v4VNy2LD4

mostpost
01-22-2017, 01:29 PM
If he didn't win we wouldn't have been graced with that awesome speech by Perry Martin.

94v4VNy2LD4
How can someone be so unaware of how he sounds? At least Steve Coburn was a poor loser after the Belmont. This guy's horse was Horse of the Year and Older dirt male; plus his was Moment of the Year. Yet, he gives new meaning to the term poor winner.

I'm sure you noticed that there was a lot of uncomfortable looking at the floor and forced smiles from the folks behind him. Mrs. Martin looked like she would have rather been anywhere else.

In a night of really bad acceptance speeches, that one stood out.

MonmouthParkJoe
01-22-2017, 03:12 PM
I cringed the whole time he spoke. He almost sounded incoherent at times. Is he like that all the time or was he drunk?

SuperPickle
01-22-2017, 03:54 PM
I posted weeks ago that Arrogate would be closer to third than first and he was. I was stunned he only got 40 votes. The Six voters who did vote either should lose their votes.

Regardless what you think of Crome he is massively hyped by TVG. I was amused Martin attacked the racing media when the largest network acts like horse walks on water.

This is how strong the Crome hype. If the counted the Pegasus in HOY voting and the finish was the same as the Classic (Arrogate by about a length) I still think Crome would get more than 40 HOY votes.

After the margin of last nights votes I'm not even convinced two wins over Crome would have gotten him HOY.

Crome is simply much more popular.

SuperPickle
01-22-2017, 04:03 PM

94v4VNy2LD4

You know some communication professors actually call this the "post November 8th" affect. That people now feel they can get away with saying whatever's on their mind, off the cuff with no consequences.

Turns out no you can't if for nothing more most people have bad ideas and are bad at public speaking.

Btw... I'm totally amused how Perry Martin builds up good will in racing and periodically destroys it and then repeats the cycle. Or a friend puts it "racing wants to love him but he's simply incapable of accepting that love."

ronsmac
01-22-2017, 05:06 PM
You know some communication professors actually call this the "post November 8th" affect. That people now feel they can get away with saying whatever's on their mind, off the cuff with no consequences.

Turns out no you can't if for nothing more most people have bad ideas and are bad at public speaking.

Btw... I'm totally amused how Perry Martin builds up good will in racing and periodically destroys it and then repeats the cycle. Or a friend puts it "racing wants to love him but he's simply incapable of accepting that love."Unless they take the award back or people refuse to send their mares to breed to Chrome, then he basically gets away with it. When it's all said and done , his boring and obnoxious speech doesn't really mean anything. I can't wait until the Pegasus. It should be a great race.

cj
01-22-2017, 08:15 PM
I posted weeks ago that Arrogate would be closer to third than first and he was. I was stunned he only got 40 votes. The Six voters who did vote either should lose their votes.

Regardless what you think of Crome he is massively hyped by TVG. I was amused Martin attacked the racing media when the largest network acts like horse walks on water.

This is how strong the Crome hype. If the counted the Pegasus in HOY voting and the finish was the same as the Classic (Arrogate by about a length) I still think Crome would get more than 40 HOY votes.

After the margin of last nights votes I'm not even convinced two wins over Crome would have gotten him HOY.

Crome is simply much more popular.

Are you spelling Crome wrong as some sort of protest?

EMD4ME
01-22-2017, 08:22 PM
How can someone be so unaware of how he sounds? At least Steve Coburn was a poor loser after the Belmont. This guy's horse was Horse of the Year and Older dirt male; plus his was Moment of the Year. Yet, he gives new meaning to the term poor winner.

I'm sure you noticed that there was a lot of uncomfortable looking at the floor and forced smiles from the folks behind him. Mrs. Martin looked like she would have rather been anywhere else.

In a night of really bad acceptance speeches, that one stood out.

WOW....this guy makes the guy from the RED EYES commercial look like MR. FUN.

Those were the worst 9 minutes of my life. Brutal....

SuperPickle
01-22-2017, 08:41 PM
Are you spelling Crome wrong as some sort of protest?

Maybe 😉

Racetrack Playa
01-22-2017, 08:45 PM
I watched the video, I feel it was awkward and perfect. Eclipse worthy.
Perry made me smile when he was interviewing himself,. To me he looked like Victor E. goofing in the Classic , lookin left lookin right lookin left hahaha,
but whatever he bombed.

Nothing compared to the Zayat kid ralphing at the Derby on network tv.

back to the video
The final couple min. when Frank Taylor? speaks is real , Its nice to see a great racehorse mature and keep racing.

just wondering
Is there an Eclipse Award for Announcers?

johnhannibalsmith
01-22-2017, 11:46 PM

Are we sure it wasn't Neal Cassady?

EasyGoer89
01-23-2017, 02:48 AM
WOW....this guy makes the guy from the RED EYES commercial look like MR. FUN.

Those were the worst 9 minutes of my life. Brutal....

I listened to about a minute and a half and just had to stop. If he would have thought to himself before that speech 'now perry go up there and make sure when you are done, everyone who hears your words is convinced beyond a shadow of a doubt that you're the most unlikeable horse owner in the game and maybe in its history' if that's what he thought to himself, it was job well done.

On my tombstone it will read 'here lies a man who lived a long and fruitful life, except for the minute and a half he can never get back from listening to Perry Martin's 2017 HOY Acceptance speech.

EMD4ME
01-23-2017, 05:36 AM
I listened to about a minute and a half and just had to stop.

On my tombstone it will read 'here lies a man who lived a long and fruitful life, except for the minute and a half he can never get back from listening to Perry Martin's 2017 HOY Acceptance speech.

and the 30 seconds he took to post about it :lol: :lol:

EasyGoer89
01-23-2017, 01:44 PM
and the 30 seconds he took to post about it :lol: :lol:

Exactly! :D

mostpost
01-23-2017, 03:34 PM
I was searching for something, when I ran across a story saying that California Chrome had earned an Equibase speed figure of 130 for the Winter Classic-the highest of and horse in 2016. Then I checked and as I remembered the Beyer for that race was 104. Why the discrepancy? I realize there might be a difference in scale, but it Equibase has it as their best of the year and Beyer has it well below their best.

cj
01-23-2017, 03:43 PM
I was searching for something, when I ran across a story saying that California Chrome had earned an Equibase speed figure of 130 for the Winter Classic-the highest of and horse in 2016. Then I checked and as I remembered the Beyer for that race was 104. Why the discrepancy? I realize there might be a difference in scale, but it Equibase has it as their best of the year and Beyer has it well below their best.

The Equibase figure is ridiculous for that race. I can't be any more blunt than that.

Track Phantom
01-24-2017, 12:02 AM
That is the worst verbal vomit I've ever heard. It was cringe-inducing. Money can't buy class...or even rent it for one night.

Rex Phinney
01-24-2017, 06:15 PM
Perry Martin is a greedy prick.

He has been from day one. I had some interaction with he and Coburn in the spring of 2014, he was a smug prick from the first minute. He wouldn't speak a word to anyone because he felt the world was not worthy what his mouth could spout I guess.

He was a total dick then, he was a total dick when he publicly put down Del Mar in the summer of 2014 and he was a total dick when I encountered him again the evening after the 2015 San Antonio.

At the end Coburn and his wife refused to even sit at the same table with this dolt.

I would pay a million dollars just to mace that guy right in the face.

Vinnie
01-25-2017, 11:12 PM
Rex:

Couldn't add anything more than you did to your post. It was entirely spot on. :)

The speech Mr. Martin gave was nauseating. If you look up the word classless in the dictionary you would most assuredly find a picture of this yahoo just beneath the heading.

no breathalyzer
01-25-2017, 11:15 PM
Sure glad i had the TV on mute for this speech.. i wouldn't want this guys comments smear the accomplishments of a super racehorse.. from what i been reading i might just have to go and watch now just to see how bad it was

dilanesp
01-26-2017, 05:59 AM
Best speech since Mike Love of the Beach Boys was inducted into the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame....

Lemon Drop Husker
01-26-2017, 09:35 PM
Only nice thing I can say is if Perry Martin were a horse, he would have been put out to pasture years ago.

depalma113
01-29-2017, 10:48 AM
Well, at least we never have to hear from this clown again.

rastajenk
01-29-2017, 10:53 AM
He should have enough money to get lucky again.

EasyGoer89
01-29-2017, 03:05 PM
Well, at least we never have to hear from this clown again.

Oh jeez, I'm blaming you if we have to! :D

Rex Phinney
01-29-2017, 11:11 PM
He should have enough money to get lucky again.

Sure he does, if he would actually invest any of it back into the game. So far as I know, aside from trying to hype up the full sister to Chrome this guy has done nothing to put any money back into new stock.

One more reason noone on the shedrow is going to be giving any newfound respect to this guy. He essentially got one in a million lucky and has done nothing but cash the checks the game has offered him. The most respected owners don't do it like that, they understand that reinvesting at least some of that money is what keeps this game going.