PDA

View Full Version : Database ideas

Twin Double
01-20-2017, 11:59 AM
Hello,

I would like to create a personal database to start keeping detailed
records of track profiles. I guess my main question is what kind of database
set-up are you using? Do you actually set up an MYSQL database or are you
just storing info in spreadsheets and filing them away on your computer?

As you can probably tell I'm new to data mining and storing info in databases to query at a later time. Any advice I receive to help get me up and running on this would be greatly apreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Matt

upthecreek
01-20-2017, 12:05 PM
http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=117713&highlight=Excel+spreadsheet

DeltaLover
01-20-2017, 12:34 PM
Depending on your data structure you have to select between a relation database (like mysql) or a NoSQL.

Twin Double
01-20-2017, 01:27 PM
Depending on your data structure you have to select between a relation database (like mysql) or a NoSQL.

I'm getting ready to teach myself PHP (at the moment I do a lot of work in javascript) so I'm hoping mysql can get the job done. I'm planning on taking handicapping very serious this year, with my end goal being developing my own software program in php that can query my MYSQL database. I'm not familiar with NoSQL, going to have to look that up.

pondman
01-20-2017, 03:48 PM
We've kept the screened and weighted sequence for supers on every horse since 2012-- once it's been process. We actually don't process the data for betting with the database. We don't store the variables, just the results. It's just storage, not a decision system.