PDA

View Full Version : Who is the best women handicapper in U.S?

fishorsechess
07-23-2004, 06:50 PM
I know Andy Beyer is the best but what about
the best WOMAN handicapper? You see, if young
beautiful women were attract to this game men
horseplayers would have it made. Guess you'll
have to stick to the one step.

JustRalph
07-23-2004, 08:10 PM
I would think PA might know at least one...............

bettheoverlay
07-23-2004, 08:15 PM
Joanne Jones is pretty good. Lauren Stitch knows breeding.

But Andy Beyer the best handicapper? You must have never attended one of his seminars.

Figman
07-23-2004, 08:32 PM
She was Hilary Clinton's mother-in-law! She ruled in Oaklawn's clubhouse constantly cashing big tickets most every day!

PurplePower
07-23-2004, 08:43 PM
Martha Claussen will never be known nationally, but she is the best female "PLAYER" I have seen. She hits more pick 3's than most of the males I know that play at a similar level. And, she does this at the major Thoroughbred tracks on a regular basis. she is not as good with cheap Quarter Horses as she is with Thoroughbreds or with top level Quarter Horses, but she scores more pick three signers than the male players in our circle. Her selections are available before each Sam Houston Race on our simulcast signal (along with our track announcer and some purple guy).

NoDayJob
07-23-2004, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by bettheoverlay
But Andy Beyer the best handicapper? You must have never attended one of his seminars.

You should see him at the track. He needs a giant vacuum sweeper following behind him to pick up all the torn tickets.

NDJ

superfecta
07-23-2004, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by fishorsechess
what about
the best WOMAN handicapper?
Im pretty good myself,I can tell you which women are homely or just plain ugly:D
I don't really think I have seen a woman handicap the horses to the extent most of us do.So if a winning player is rare,a good woman handicapper is the rarest of all.

JustRalph
07-23-2004, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by PurplePower
Martha Claussen will never be known nationally, but she is the best female "PLAYER" I have seen. She hits more pick 3's than most of the males I know that play at a similar level. And, she does this at the major Thoroughbred tracks on a regular basis. she is not as good with cheap Quarter Horses as she is with Thoroughbreds or with top level Quarter Horses, but she scores more pick three signers than the male players in our circle. Her selections are available before each Sam Houston Race on our simulcast signal (along with our track announcer and some purple guy).

I love to see who Martha is picking..........I don't think there would be any much Better. Reid..........good Call!

kingfin66
07-24-2004, 12:53 AM
You are on the pipe if you think that Beyer is the best. He may, and I emphasize MAY, be the best turf writer. There is really no way to quantify who the best 'capper is.

Don't worry about who the best is, just try to learn a little bit from each of the one's who publish handicapping ideas and use things that work for you.

In fact, scratch the above regarding Beyer being the best turf writer. There are lots of good turf writers out there, so picking the best writer is also impossible.

Hell I've had too much wine and really need to go watch EmD race 9. Go 5!

Kingfin OUT.

ranchwest
07-24-2004, 01:36 AM
Joanne Jones is one of the more interesting listens. She talks about Gordon a bit too much, but at least it is refreshing that she thinks highly of her father.

sq764
07-24-2004, 12:02 PM
What about hte woman on Mountaineer? She seems to know what she is talking about..

Tom
07-24-2004, 12:06 PM
Charlse Cantey......NOT
Caton Bradar? Pretty decent.
The Buleah Twins? YES!
Queens of the Pic 4!

cj
07-24-2004, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by kingfin66
There is really no way to quantify who the best 'capper is.

Sure there is, who won the most money!

ranchwest
07-24-2004, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by sq764
What about hte woman on Mountaineer? She seems to know what she is talking about..

How many of Nancy's picks have you played?

stuball
07-24-2004, 12:31 PM
We will never know who is the best because they don't want us to know...makes sense if they are that good they will not be screaming it out to the world...The guy that I knew that was the best was very quiet and unassuming...this was at the time you had to go to the track...to me he was the ultimate professional
and made his living completely at the track....He had a beautiful
home and lived well but was very (how can I say colorless)

I have seen many colorful losers at the track...swearing --throwing chairs....etc..but he would just sit there win or lose..

The only ones out there screaming how good they are well they are selling something

just my 2 cents (spoken quietly I hope !!!)

Stuball

sq764
07-24-2004, 06:09 PM
Ranchwest. none...

The only announcer that I have even seen worth even acknowledging (pick-wise) is the Evangeline Downs guy..

blind squirrel
07-24-2004, 06:26 PM
pardon me for being MR. OBVIOUS:JUDY WAGNER won
the DRF NATIONAL HANDICAPPING TOURNEY{$100,000} and just
won the RIVER DOWNS TOURNEY{$25,000 first prize}

$125,000,she won the most money,case closed!

Suff
07-24-2004, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by blind squirrel

I heard she plays her favorite colors and which Jockey is the cutest...:p

blind squirrel
07-24-2004, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by Suff

beats trip notes,BEYER FIGS,and the"BOUNCE
THEORY" when your $25.00 a day THOROGRAPH
SHEETS suck.

kingfin66
07-24-2004, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by Suff

She is playing in the Emerald Downs Ultimate Qualifying Tournament tomorrow. I'll be sure to ask her which jockey is the cutest, then maybe I'll have a chance too!

hurrikane
07-24-2004, 08:19 PM
I vote for the woman at MNR.

Anyone that can even read a form with all the valium she must have in her has to be good.

Sometimes when I listen to her I think her head is going to fall over on the table and she'll fall over on the floor. Then the tubster will have his way with her...all during the prerace eval.

QuarterCrack
07-25-2004, 12:25 AM
Oh man that is too funny!!
I won't be able to watch MNR again with a straight face now - thanks!

RXB
07-25-2004, 12:26 AM
I like the Mnr Mark & Nancy show. I'd rather listen to those two than most of the others.

Nancy is rather laidback, that's for sure.

JustRalph
07-25-2004, 12:33 AM
Originally posted by blind squirrel

Blind Squirrel........ I believe you have officially found the Nut!

Hosshead
07-25-2004, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by hurrikane@HTR
I vote for the woman at MNR.

Anyone that can even read a form with all the valium she must have in her has to be good.

Sometimes when I listen to her I think her head is going to fall over on the table and she'll fall over on the floor. Then the tubster will have his way with her...all during the prerace eval.
R-O-T-F-L !!!
I vote for the Mark & Nancy show too. Good people, good info. But I'll never be able to watch it again without cracking up! Especially if they catch it on camera.

The Skeptic
07-25-2004, 01:34 PM
I read someone said Judy Wagner. Though Judy's won more then many of us it's definately not her.

She won the RD contest by having 1 wager left on the last race of a no cap contest. Check out the last race at AP last Sunday. Turf race and a first time starter with absolutely nothing pointing to it. Her $0 balance...her $5 with no cap to win - catapulted her in front of everyone $74 win ($2) and she had $5 on it. Her final bankroll was around $200 on this one pick! Yes bombs win the last races of tournaments all the time but one usually has to position themselves for the "hail mary" not to go from $0 to $first. But those were the rules. She won fair and square but clearly that doesn't make her the best.

Winning the NTRA DRF Finals doesn't make one the best either but I will say that Steve Walker is solidly consitant and plays in a minimal number of tournaments. I'll say that Kent Meyer is solid he also plays in a minimal amount of tournaments. As far as Herman Miller & J Wagner the juries still out. Remember she plays in many many tournaments and kinda like Hinson - they play the law of averages which is "play in as many events as possible and you'll win them sooner or later". You can't win unless you show up for the game!

timtam
07-25-2004, 02:57 PM
Margo Flynn at Tampa Bay Then I realized she owns horses

does she steer you away so the prices are better?

Duns Scotus
07-25-2004, 04:33 PM
I'd have no idea if Lauren Stich is the "best" woman handicapper because the "best" box contains so many variables and I think the "man-woman" comparison stuff is a little repellent to me in any case.

What I do know is that she's a first-rate writer on pedigree; has a great sense of humor, and is very kind, sharing her knowledge with Duns-ces like me who've spent all these years treating the power of pedigree with as much enthusiasm as I brought to undergrad calculus, which I failed three times (I think I was ahead of my time). I do know that Lauren bets, and has had many monster scores.

Instead of "best woman handicapper," she gets my vote as one of the best human beings I've ever met in racing.

The Skeptic
07-25-2004, 06:49 PM
Margot has a few horses and is a former trainer herself. However, she is one of the worst. It's really that simple...no one in our clubhouse can stand her. She's aweful. I think the only reason she's still employed here is she's "in" with our owner. It has to be because no one likes her. We all wish she'd go back to training.

timtam
07-25-2004, 06:55 PM
I saw Andy Beyer there as a guest with Margo and she didn't even let the guy talk. I was being facecious when I said that about Margo. She isn't even good lookin Oh well !!