PDA

View Full Version : The definition of Conservatism

Jess Hawsen Arown
01-15-2017, 10:59 AM
While the liberals try to paint every evil under the sun on Conservatives, William F Buckley perfectly described the movement in his first issue of The National Review. You will notice that there is no mention of religion or ethnicity. It is all about control of big government.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conservatism_in_the_United_States

William F. Buckley Jr., in the first issue of his magazine National Review in 1955, explained the standards of his magazine and helped make explicit the beliefs of American conservatives:

"It is the job of centralized government (in peacetime) to protect its citizens' lives, liberty and property. All other activities of government tend to diminish freedom and hamper progress. The growth of government (the dominant social feature of this century) must be fought relentlessly. In this great social conflict of the era, we are, without reservations, on the libertarian side. The profound crisis of our era is, in essence, the conflict between the Social Engineers, who seek to adjust mankind to scientific utopias, and the disciples of Truth, who defend the organic moral order. We believe that truth is neither arrived at nor illuminated by monitoring election results, binding though these are for other purposes, but by other means, including a study of human experience. On this point we are, without reservations, on the conservative side."

lamboguy
01-15-2017, 01:27 PM
i think i am going to respond to this. i don't care for either conservative or liberal vision's. i don't like it when someone try's to impose their idea's on how i should live my life either way. all i care about out of government is having good leaders in place that are going to protect the borders and keep the roads moving. in the past election i thought Trump was more in focus to what i believe in. i have no idea what kind of label he walks around in. at some point he was a liberal, now he is something other than a liberal. i have no idea how you can change you mindset in a full circle. but i do like the idea of protecting our worker's, veteran's and border's and not croaking me on taxes.

thaskalos
01-15-2017, 04:35 PM
i think i am going to respond to this. i don't care for either conservative or liberal vision's. i don't like it when someone try's to impose their idea's on how i should live my life either way. all i care about out of government is having good leaders in place that are going to protect the borders and keep the roads moving. in the past election i thought Trump was more in focus to what i believe in. i have no idea what kind of label he walks around in. at some point he was a liberal, now he is something other than a liberal. i have no idea how you can change you mindset in a full circle. but i do like the idea of protecting our worker's, veteran's and border's and not croaking me on taxes.

But what about "morality", Lambo? Don't you agree with Classhandicapper that our "Christian values" ought to be PROTECTED...lest the "liberals" totally DESTROY the society that we are living in?

Tom
01-15-2017, 05:29 PM
They damn near have.

Ocala Mike
01-15-2017, 09:50 PM
Gore Vidal and William F. Buckley go at it during the Dem Convention, 1968. Old enough to remember this hilarity:

http://search.aol.com/aol/video?q=Gore+Vidal+on+William+F.+Buckley&s_it=video-ans&sfVid=true&videoId=F703D9F88A3404AB9D9EF703D9F88A3404AB9D9E&v_t=keyword_rollover

CincyHorseplayer
01-15-2017, 10:02 PM

Right with you here.

Nitro
01-15-2017, 10:15 PM
But what about "morality", Lambo? Don't you agree with Classhandicapper that our "Christian values" ought to be PROTECTED...lest the "liberals" totally DESTROY the society that we are living in?
Christian Values Protected?? How about protecting the Christians themselves!
Have you seen the recent statistics on the people belonging to the most persecuted religious group worldwide?
Of course our Liberal leadership was more concerned about Muslim refugees then about helping those in dire need of basic survival.

thaskalos
01-15-2017, 10:28 PM
Christian Values Protected?? How about protecting the Christians themselves!
Have you seen the recent statistics on the people belonging to the most persecuted religious group worldwide?
Of course our Liberal leadership was more concerned about Muslim refugees then about helping those in dire need of basic survival.

The persecution of the Christians was a requirement that Jesus himself demanded of his followers...as a test of their faith.

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matthew+24%3A9&version=KJV

Nitro
01-15-2017, 11:27 PM
The persecution of the Christians was a requirement that Jesus himself demanded of his followers...as a test of their faith.

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matthew+24%3A9&version=KJV
How convenient of you taking His words out of context. There was obviously a discussion about the “End of Times” between Jesus and the disciples. If you believe that this time has arrived then I would suggest reading the entire passage of Matthew 24.

I doubt very highly that He intended for all Christians to become martyrs.

thaskalos
01-16-2017, 12:20 AM
How convenient of you taking His words out of context. There was obviously a discussion about the “End of Times” between Jesus and the disciples. If you believe that this time has arrived then I would suggest reading the entire passage of Matthew 24.

I doubt very highly that He intended for all Christians to become martyrs.

You are wrong. Jesus said that his followers must "carry their own crosses"...if they are to be worthy of him.

The "heavenly life" doesn't come cheap.

Tom
01-16-2017, 08:19 AM
Gore Vidal and William F. Buckley go at it during the Dem Convention, 1968. Old enough to remember this hilarity:

http://search.aol.com/aol/video?q=Gore+Vidal+on+William+F.+Buckley&s_it=video-ans&sfVid=true&videoId=F703D9F88A3404AB9D9EF703D9F88A3404AB9D9E&v_t=keyword_rollover

Too much actin going on outside that years to really watch the convention.
I was a liberal back then. :blush:

MutuelClerk
01-16-2017, 11:28 AM
Most of our elected Republican officials aren't conservative. They're green. Money talks and represents the actions they take. Political whores. Action speaks louder than empty words.

Jess Hawsen Arown
01-16-2017, 09:44 PM

Donald Trump is not a conservative. He is a populist. He was opposed to the taking out Saddam and during that campaign and he has often espoused the virtues of Planned Parenthood, an organization that many conservatives loathe. I don't believe his Obamacare replacement solution will be a true conservative roadmap.

As for liberal, the label has changed through the years. Liberals from years ago would be considered centrist now. There is something seriously wrong with the mentally challenged liberals of today.

But we agree on the reality of why he was elected. We have no idea what kind of a President he will be, but his positions on the really important issues is why he is the new President.