PDA

View Full Version : Good Luck to Vic Stauffer at OP

turninforhome10
01-13-2017, 10:58 AM
Looking forward to hearing your voice call races again. Best of luck. Love the Oaklawn meet. Sounds like it is going to be a good one.

FantasticDan
01-13-2017, 11:40 AM
Stauffer Excited for Opening Day (http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/219040/stauffer-excited-for-opening-day-at-oaklawn)

:ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

dilanesp
01-13-2017, 02:46 PM
Stauffer said he was so concerned about rust, that leading up to the Oaklawn meeting he planned to go to Fair Grounds Race Course & Slots and practice calling races from the press box.

His past-performance lines include calling icons like 2002 Horse of the Year and three-time Oaklawn Apple Blossom (G1) champion Azeri; 2010 Horse of the Year Zenyatta, a two-time Apple Blossom winner; and 2006 Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (G1) winner Barbaro.

One of the things that nauseates me about corporate sponsorship is how it leads to bad writing from hack publications. Is the money the Blood Horse gets for referring to the Fair Grounds as "Fair Grounds Race Course & Slots" and the Derby as "Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands" really worth putting this sort of dreck in their publication?

And is this sort of writing really worth even one cent? Does Yum! Brands (whatever that is) gain any benefit because the Blood Horse puts that designation in a story about a totally unrelated race meeting's track announcer?

Just stop, Blood Horse. Write in plain English sentences. You don't have to take every last cent from every last source.

upthecreek
01-13-2017, 03:19 PM
Not being shown on TVG, nor is video streaming available?
I see its on TVG2 which I dont get on my cable system and which they removed from the 4NJBets website If I cant watch, I wont wager

cj
01-13-2017, 03:30 PM
Not being shown on TVG, nor is video streaming available?
I see its on TVG2 which I dont get on my cable system and which they removed from the 4NJBets website If I cant watch, I wont wager

Believe races 6-9 are on regular TVG today.

upthecreek
01-13-2017, 03:32 PM
Believe races 6-9 are on regular TVG today.
Youre right I just checked the website Thanks :ThmbUp:

therussmeister
01-13-2017, 03:34 PM
One of the things that nauseates me about corporate sponsorship is how it leads to bad writing from hack publications. Is the money the Blood Horse gets for referring to the Fair Grounds as "Fair Grounds Race Course & Slots" and the Derby as "Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands" really worth putting this sort of dreck in their publication?

And is this sort of writing really worth even one cent? Does Yum! Brands (whatever that is) gain any benefit because the Blood Horse puts that designation in a story about a totally unrelated race meeting's track announcer?

Just stop, Blood Horse. Write in plain English sentences. You don't have to take every last cent from every last source.
Suddenly I got the urge for some Kentucky Fried Chicken.

ebcorde
01-13-2017, 03:42 PM
saw your Photo on Bloodhorse, and enjoyed your contributions to PA :lol:

Been there once, nice nice track, had lot o fun. its off the beaten path. :lol:

lamboguy
01-13-2017, 03:44 PM
i listened to his first race call and boy was he ready!

no doubt in my mind, Vic gives a first class call along with many others calling races these days.

pandy
01-13-2017, 04:12 PM
I wonder if Vic is going to be doing any handicapping for Oaklawn. He's a good handicapper.

affirmedny
01-13-2017, 04:49 PM
I wonder if Vic is going to be doing any handicapping for Oaklawn. He's a good handicapper.

Yes he is on the feed before every race if you can get the feed, LOL.

pandy
01-13-2017, 04:53 PM
Yes he is on the feed before every race if you can get the feed, LOL.

If I was a producer for TVG I would try to broadcast that feed.

HuggingTheRail
01-13-2017, 05:32 PM
Vic does very well at creating the picture....can imagine what is happening even if you aren't actually watching.

Polish Navy
01-13-2017, 05:44 PM
All the best to you and Andrew Giuliani!

garyscpa
01-13-2017, 06:57 PM
Looking forward to hearing your voice call races again. Best of luck. Love the Oaklawn meet. Sounds like it is going to be a good one.

Good to see you post again. :ThmbUp:

turninforhome10
01-14-2017, 04:35 AM
Good to see you post again. :ThmbUp:

Thanks Gary,
Had a rough couple of years but back on track for 2017

upthecreek
01-14-2017, 11:48 AM
Jen Hoyt (@Jenhoyt2150) tweeted at 10:35 AM on Fri, Jan 13, 2017:
@OaklawnRacing @KATVNews @goofonroof It's a great opening day and love introducing Vic to AR fans https://t.co/11ZoQil1v1
(https://twitter.com/Jenhoyt2150/status/819930819083063296?s=09)

EMD4ME
01-14-2017, 04:44 PM
Having not heard VIC since 13, I realized that I really miss his track announcing. He is sharp as a tack a darn very good announcer! :ThmbUp:

As for his posting, :lol: :lol: :lol: Just kidding, just in case you read this VJS :D

Track Phantom
01-14-2017, 06:05 PM
Off 3+ years and comes back as a top 5 announcer in the country. I think he's a great fit for Oaklawn Park, who, in my opinion has the best racing product in the country for any meet (including Del Mar and Saratoga).

chenoa
01-16-2017, 12:42 PM
Vic sounds in top form despite the years off.

Proving still one the best in North America.

A shame and hard to believe that Woodbine passed on him!! :rolleyes:

jimmyb
04-25-2017, 07:01 PM
Someone who posts here and works in the racing business is refreshing. I get the feeling many who run the business and others that work for them consider us nothing but steerage worthy and therefore not worthy of their time.

v j stauffer
04-26-2017, 01:40 PM
Someone who posts here and works in the racing business is refreshing. I get the feeling many who run the business and others that work for them consider us nothing but steerage worthy and therefore not worthy of their time.

I can't speak for what industry people think of the posters. But I can tell you many do in fact read the posts.

One of the major reasons why I decided to tone things down a bit a few years back.

whodoyoulike
04-26-2017, 02:59 PM
I can't speak for what industry people think of the posters. But I can tell you many do in fact read the posts.

One of the major reasons why I decided to tone things down a bit a few years back.

That was you toned down?

It's only been a few years which I've seen you post so, I missed a lot.

no breathalyzer
04-28-2017, 02:56 AM

This is the crack cocaine of post's:headbanger:

EasyGoer89
04-28-2017, 03:13 AM

Hopefully Vic gets to ref a game at the prison again, loved his inmates stories!

v j stauffer
04-28-2017, 01:25 PM
Hopefully Vic gets to ref a game at the prison again, loved his inmates stories!

That was just firmed up yesterday.

First games are set for Saturday May 27.

Looking forward going back "inside"

v j stauffer
04-28-2017, 01:26 PM

I don't know anything about crack cocaine.

Perhaps you do?

v j stauffer
04-28-2017, 01:37 PM
That was you toned down?

It's only been a few years which I've seen you post so, I missed a lot.

That and the futility of dealing with the haters.

Many times I offered an olive branch and invitations to new and productive re-starts.

Many times.

Unfortunately miserable people can only find solace, brief as it may be, in trying to make others feel as horrible as they do.

They have no "outs"

Inner Dirt
04-28-2017, 01:41 PM
I am on data capped satellite internet and Oaklawn is on my banned list. Banned means I can't handicap my way out of a wet paper bag there so I don't bet their races. When I watch races on TVG.net I try to keep the video player on as little as possible. Anyway, anything I watch between 12am-5am does not count toward my data allowance. Are there any Oaklawn Vic calls on you tube I can watch and form my own opinion? I thought Vic was great at Hollywood Park, but maybe that was because after Harry Henson the bar started dropping like a rock thrown in a lake. Harry Henson was the caller when I first attended Hollywood Park in 1979, "and there they go." He will always be my favorite because of nostalgia, sorry Vic.

v j stauffer
04-28-2017, 01:55 PM
I am on data capped satellite internet and Oaklawn is on my banned list. Banned means I can't handicap my way out of a wet paper bag there so I don't bet their races. When I watch races on TVG.net I try to keep the video player on as little as possible. Anyway, anything I watch between 12am-5am does not count toward my data allowance. Are there any Oaklawn Vic calls on you tube I can watch and form my own opinion? I thought Vic was great at Hollywood Park, but maybe that was because after Harry Henson the bar started dropping like a rock thrown in a lake. Harry Henson was the caller when I first attended Hollywood Park in 1979, "and there they go." He will always be my favorite because of nostalgia, sorry Vic.

Absolutely no need to be sorry Inner. Harry was my all time favorite as well. Without his friendship and support I'm quite sure I would never have become an announcer.

The best way IMO to watch stakes race calls is to pull up the charts on www.drf.com. Most come with video.

With the exception of the Rebel by far my best work at Oaklawn was in the stakes. Overall I'd rate it an A-.

My work in the overnight races, especially early in the meeting, was sub-standard to be sure.

That overall grade would be B-. Maybe even C+.

whodoyoulike
04-28-2017, 02:51 PM

There are quite a few Oaklawn park races on YouTube, when I wanted to see the races being discussed (or argued) on here, I would go to YouTube and type:

Oaklawn park (and the date e.g., march 18 2017) and it would bring up that date plus many more. A lot of them were the full day's race card.

You can go to Equibase and find the dates Oaklawn Park ran this year.

Btw, this YouTube search works with a lot of tracks.

whodoyoulike
04-28-2017, 03:00 PM
That and the futility of dealing with the haters.

Many times I offered an olive branch and invitations to new and productive re-starts.

Many times.

Unfortunately miserable people can only find solace, brief as it may be, in trying to make others feel as horrible as they do.

They have no "outs"

From the few posts which I read, I understood exactly why you responded as you did.

And, as someone earlier somewhere on here wrote about your detractors .... just f 'em!

Although my spelling may be incorrect.

Inner Dirt
04-28-2017, 04:45 PM

Absolutely no need to be sorry Inner. Harry was my all time favorite as well. Without his friendship and support I'm quite sure I would never have become an announcer.

The best way IMO to watch stakes race calls is to pull up the charts on www.drf.com (http://www.drf.com). Most come with video.

With the exception of the Rebel by far my best work at Oaklawn was in the stakes. Overall I'd rate it an A-.

My work in the overnight races, especially early in the meeting, was sub-standard to be sure.

That overall grade would be B-. Maybe even C+.

Vic, I am honored that you responded to my post. Glad you are here.

EasyGoer89
04-28-2017, 11:22 PM
That was just firmed up yesterday.

First games are set for Saturday May 27.

Looking forward going back "inside"

Beautiful! :headbanger: