PDA

View Full Version : Woodbine multi-track/odds channel is the latest to bite the dust

PaceAdvantage
01-12-2017, 02:25 PM
So, what's with all these channels being turned off? (NYRA then Cal Racing Channel and now Woodbine).

And nobody posted about this latest one yet? With all the UPROAR in the NYC NYRA channel thread?

"The decision to shut down HPItv was a difficult one as it will affect some customers and a number of our people that have worked diligently to create and sustain its development," said Sean Pinsonneault, WEG's executive vice-president, strategy and wagering. "The HPItv subscriber base continues to trend downward as more of our customers move online while production costs have risen, making it an unsustainable business case to keep the HPItv multi-track channel operating as the media landscape evolves."

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/218987/woodbines-hpitv-to-shut-down-operations-in-april

HoofedInTheChest
01-12-2017, 02:59 PM
It’s not the actual “Woodbine channel”, it’s the multi-track channel that shows the most current race from 5 or 6 tracks available at the time. It was a great deal for $5.00 a month, and included the odds channel, but it was only available in standard definition.

I never understood why they filmed the races in Hi-Def, and offered the channels in Standard Def, it kind of defeats the purpose.

The other PPV horse racing channels are significantly more expensive, and i believe those channels will still be offered, i could be wrong.

Up next..... The Woodbine Roku Channel, it wouldn’t surprise me at all.

HuggingTheRail
01-12-2017, 03:05 PM
Our main cable provider here in Vancouver never offered it. Emailed them a couple of times, and the one reply I got said I was the only person who had ever inquired about it.

As much as I despise HPI, I do appreciate that we can stream 4 different tracks at the same time now....

HoofedInTheChest
01-12-2017, 03:17 PM
Our main cable provider here in Vancouver never offered it. Emailed them a couple of times, and the one reply I got said I was the only person who had ever inquired about it.

As much as I despise HPI, I do appreciate that we can stream 4 different tracks at the same time now....
I believe Bell was the only provider that offered the HPI channels for the longest time, and Rogers finally got access to the channels a few years ago. Bell is the ontrack provider of internet and TV, so i guess they wanted the exclusive rights to the HPI cash cow. :lol:

Woodbine is turning into a bit of a steaming diaper these days.

PaceAdvantage
01-12-2017, 03:23 PM
It’s not the actual “Woodbine channel”, it’s the multi-track channel that shows the most current race from 5 or 6 tracks available at the time. It was a great deal for $5.00 a month, and included the odds channel, but it was only available in standard definition.Thanks for clarification...I've edited the thread title accordingly.

HuggingTheRail
01-12-2017, 03:23 PM
I believe Bell was the only provider that offered the HPI channels for the longest time, and Rogers finally got access to the channels a few years ago. Bell is the ontrack provider of internet and TV, so i guess they wanted the exclusive rights to the HPI cash cow. :lol:

Woodbine is turning into a bit of a steaming diaper these days.

Maybe the HPI cash backs will increase now :lol:

azeri98
01-12-2017, 06:44 PM
I have the channel, when is it going out of business?

WoxFan
01-12-2017, 06:52 PM
I have the channel, when is it going out of business?

April

EMD4ME
01-12-2017, 08:44 PM
Seems like dumb is following dumber :bang:

elhelmete
01-12-2017, 09:30 PM
Think about this. According to Bloomberg and other sources, ESPN (which many view as the poster child for cord-cutting) lost about 6 million subscribers in the past 2 years.

ESPN.

HuggingTheRail
01-12-2017, 09:57 PM
Seems like dumb is following dumber :bang:

No, this isn't the Ortiz thread.....

AltonKelsey
01-12-2017, 10:30 PM
Think about this. According to Bloomberg and other sources, ESPN (which many view as the poster child for cord-cutting) lost about 6 million subscribers in the past 2 years.

ESPN.

ESPN is a welfare case. I'm forced to pay for it by my cable company as part of the package, even though I never watch it.

elhelmete
01-12-2017, 11:59 PM
ESPN is a welfare case. I'm forced to pay for it by my cable company as part of the package, even though I never watch it.

Ditto.

Without customers paying the $5-8 for ESPN, what chance do unpopular channels have?

appistappis
01-17-2017, 09:02 PM
Maybe the HPI cash backs will increase now :lol:

now thats funny

bpiets
01-19-2017, 03:03 PM
lol...'i' have never heard of any one ever winning any of the monthly offerings as far as draws were concerned ...and this after 40 plus years at woodbine etc...lol...and never chit chatting with those using the off tracks either....lol... :cool:

musola
01-22-2017, 09:21 AM
Been getting the channel on Rogers for at least more than 5 years. I t was $2.49 a month. Now to get the live feeds; a Canadian channel, a US channel and an international channel used to cost $24.99/month(at least that was the price a few years ago)

WoxFan
01-22-2017, 04:01 PM
I had Hpi tv until yesterday, it went downhill after the announcement. Aqueduct, tampa and gulf but no fg, oaklawn. At night, charles town but no penn national.

Gallop58
01-23-2017, 02:11 PM
Goodbye Bell, Hello Shaw Satellite. Only reason I was hanging on was HPI.

HoofedInTheChest
04-23-2017, 05:48 PM
The quad split screen on Woodbine’s multi-track channel is absolute garbage, you can’t read the font on the screen. Not that it matters anyway, because Trakus is just as flaky as it was last season, the fractional times are missing in most races, and when they do appear, they don't jive with the charts. Two weeks in and i'm already pissed off.

Keep up the great work Woodbine!