PDA

View Full Version : Cal Racing Channel

dogkatcher
01-09-2017, 01:17 AM
Another California relic has gone into the pay channel world.

Live racing from our local tracks and fairs used to be broadcast
by Cal Racing Channel, but as of Jan. 6th you will have to watch
it via RTN services.

Personally used it to not have to listen to TVG yackers. Picture
quality was always very good. Will miss it, and will use my OTB
provider feed in the future. Progress eh???

EMD4ME
01-09-2017, 06:15 AM
You sure you want to talk about this ? :lol: :bang:

Dahoss9698
01-09-2017, 09:20 AM
Looks like the replays are still free.

You can get unlimited live streaming and replays for California races for $5 per month per the website. It's not ideal and having to pay for anything when it used to be free sucks but at least it is very cheap.

RunForTheRoses
01-09-2017, 09:35 AM
This does suck as I have used it recently because njbets has enforced in state only. When I am out of state I can't use my adw, I was at least able to stream santa Anita when I was out there for the breeders cup.

elhelmete
01-09-2017, 12:01 PM
Calracing.com? Works great for me.

Secondbest
01-09-2017, 12:43 PM
Calracing.com? Works great for me.
For free?

elhelmete
01-09-2017, 01:51 PM
For free?

Ooops, I haven't logged on this year for live video. just saw this:

Effective Friday, January 6, 2017, the California industry will utilize a third-party vendor to provide live streaming and enhanced replay services. This change will enable us to deliver better services and products to California racing fans, including HD video, better mobile technology, Roku-enabled video for display on home television sets, and live streaming and replays for racetracks located outside of California. It will also help us to better prevent piracy of our video signals.

cj
01-09-2017, 04:20 PM
This is the online pricing page.

https://www.rtn.tv/package-online.aspx

And the in home pricing, $50 a month with Dish.

https://www.rtn.tv/package-tv.aspx

EMD4ME
01-09-2017, 06:25 PM
Calracing.com users (I used to be one 6-9 years ago or so).....

HOW DOES THIS MAKE YOU FEEL?

elhelmete
01-09-2017, 06:46 PM
Calracing.com users (I used to be one 6-9 years ago or so).....

HOW DOES THIS MAKE YOU FEEL?

I'm happy now with XBTV. If I want some droning on and on in the background, TVG fills that need and they're pretty Calif. centric anyway.

Yeah, it bums me out a little to lose one 'free' option (I primarily used them for replays, as I liked their calendar and search functions). But I adapt.

I never once saw the Cal Racing Channel, not sure I ever got that on whatever cable system I had at any one time. I'm sure it may have been bundled up with a sports tier...which I've never subscribed to.

Ohhh, there's that word bundle again.

You see, unpopular channels (like I suspect Cal Racing was, though I admit to never seeing it) often end up attached to more popular ones to be economically viable. I have virtually ZERO interest in paying for a dozen or more sports channels I will never watch just to get a horse racing channel thrown in.

EMD4ME
01-09-2017, 06:49 PM
I'm happy now with XBTV. If I want some droning on and on in the background, TVG fills that need and they're pretty Calif. centric anyway.

Yeah, it bums me out a little to lose one 'free' option (I primarily used them for replays, as I liked their calendar and search functions). But I adapt.

I never once saw the Cal Racing Channel, not sure I ever got that on whatever cable system I had at any one time. I'm sure it may have been bundled up with a sports tier...which I've never subscribed to.

Ohhh, there's that word bundle again.

You see, unpopular channels (like I suspect Cal Racing was, though I admit to never seeing it) often end up attached to more popular ones to be economically viable. I have virtually ZERO interest in paying for a dozen or more sports channels I will never watch just to get a horse racing channel thrown in.

What's the lag time on XBTV? If any? How quick is their wagering pad? If you don't mind me asking, thanks :ThmbUp:

elhelmete
01-09-2017, 06:55 PM
What's the lag time on XBTV? If any? How quick is their wagering pad? If you don't mind me asking, thanks :ThmbUp:

I'm not such a stickler for lag time, but I find it's not much different than TVG's.

I like their wagering pad. It's very quick for me. The only complaint I have if I had to make one is that the window re-sizes sometimes and requires scrolling to see your bets, esp. exotics. Like when I'm keying a horse or two in a super...the window needs to be really 'long' and sometimes my browser re-sizes the window. I was told it's a 'Chrome' thing....Google, not California.