PDA

View Full Version : Unique Bella

SG4
01-08-2017, 11:53 PM
Seriously, we're 6 months into the career of a horse who has been touted as the 2nd coming & now after 2 races of finally putting it together & showing the hype is real nobody has said 1 word about her on all of PA?

Come on shouldn't the Unique Bella vs Songbird or Arrogate or the ghost of Secretariat argument have started by now?

All kidding aside, 3yo filly crop of this year so far has looked mediocre at best, and this one may be in a real different league & they might have to think for real about a Derby prep, although for now they've said Oaks is the goal. If you haven't seen this horse's works for the last several months, check them out on XBTV.com & remember that this was a 2yo filly putting up those kind of times with ridiculous ease. For those who don't know, she's by Tapit out of Distaff winner Unrivaled Belle, and she is a big girl to go with that big pedigree. Dam-sire is Unbridled's Song though, so I'm sure someone will point out they have it on good authority that she only has 1 or 2 more races in her tops. Mike Smith certainly has a way when it comes to finding those good ladies.

Spalding No!
01-09-2017, 12:58 AM
Dam-sire is Unbridled's Song though, so I'm sure someone will point out they have it on good authority that she only has 1 or 2 more races in her tops.
You don't need good authority to question her soundness or longevity. Just read the PPs. A 5 month layoff after her debut? I doubt that was by design.

Let's hope it isn't King Glorious all over again.

letswastemoney
01-09-2017, 01:59 AM
This field wasn't that great, although I agree the filly crop is mediocre.

I need to see more

classhandicapper
01-09-2017, 09:15 AM
The 2yo colt crop and BC Juvenile looked strong. The 2yo filly crop and BC Juvenile Fillies looked a lot weaker. It was probably just a matter of time before someone broke out among the fillies. I was impressed with Shane's Girlfriend's last time. She didn't have an ideal trip yesterday and perhaps she didn't run back to her previous win at DED, but Unique Bella made her look like a slug. That was impressive.

I didn't make a play because of the prices, but I'm starting to realize more and more how much I dislike these stakes for very lightly raced 2yos and 3yos from a gambling perspective.

A lot of recent maiden graduates and NW1 winners with big figures will disappoint badly when faced with the stiffer stakes competition even at this level, but some will reveal they are a lot better than they've shown to date and jump up a lot. The clues as to which ones will go in which direction are there for all to see (workouts - especially in company, visual hints, pedigree, trainer, owner, breeder etc...) but it feels like outsiders using "clues" are at a disadvantage against insiders that are actually getting to see these horses work on a daily basis.

To me, it was fairly obvious that both Unique Bella and American Anthem in the Sham were dangerous and highly likely to be better than their figures. But exactly how do you value "better than they look" against more established ability and quality like Gormley and Shane's Girlfriend? It feels way too much like a guess than a situation where you can know the values well and have a strong opinion on who is better.

cj
01-09-2017, 10:17 AM
There was pretty crazy betting in that race. Unique Bella was 1 to 9 for a while and remained the heavy favorite for a long time, but Shane's Girlfriend actually wound up going off the favorite at 4-5 while Bella drifted to even money.

classhandicapper
01-09-2017, 10:55 AM
There was pretty crazy betting in that race. Unique Bella was 1 to 9 for a while and remained the heavy favorite for a long time, but Shane's Girlfriend actually wound up going off the favorite at 4-5 while Bella drifted to even money.

When they opened up I was interested in betting Shane's Girlfriend at 3-1. I looked at the "will pays" and saw that they were probably going to go off a lot closer than that. So I decided to just watch. I could have sworn she was still around 8/5 while they were loading and then I saw her at 4/5 during the race. I actually got confused during the running of the race about who was who when I saw the odds.

Track Phantom
01-09-2017, 11:06 AM
I was absolutely shocked by this. All the clocker reports had Unique Bella working off the charts (getting A ratings, something rarely seen). Given her breeding and the way she won in her maiden victory, I expected her to go off at 3-5 at most. I know Shane's Girlfriend was awesome at Delta Downs and would get bet, too, but even money on Unique Bella was a surprise. It appears there was a massive "late" bet on Shane's Girlfriend. Now it's 1 for 120,344 the amount of times late money was wrong.

classhandicapper
01-09-2017, 11:27 AM
I was absolutely shocked by this. All the clocker reports had Unique Bella working off the charts (getting A ratings, something rarely seen). Given her breeding and the way she won in her maiden victory, I expected her to go off at 3-5 at most. I know Shane's Girlfriend was awesome at Delta Downs and would get bet, too, but even money on Unique Bella was a surprise. It appears there was a massive "late" bet on Shane's Girlfriend. Now it's 1 for 120,344 the amount of times late money was wrong.

Those Clocker reports seem to have a bigger impact on the betting in CA than elsewhere. Is that true?

cj
01-09-2017, 11:36 AM
Those Clocker reports seem to have a bigger impact on the betting in CA than elsewhere. Is that true?

I don't think any other circuit really has detailed workout reports like SoCal, do they?

Track Phantom
01-09-2017, 01:34 PM
I don't think any other circuit really has detailed workout reports like SoCal, do they?
Not to my knowledge. I know there are some directed at tracks like GP and AQU but the ones for So. Cal. are far more in depth and on point.

I was not a clocker report guy until I met tournament guy Jonathon Kinchen for beers one night here in Austin. He showed me the reports he used and pointed out things like who was up in the workouts (a big deal when you see someone like Tyler Baze working a horse in good work times but he opts for another runner in the race and things like that).

I was on the fence whether they would be beneficial until I used the regularly. I've used all 3 main reports (HR Report, Harrington Report and Turrel Report) and there is one that I trust above the others. On one of these reports, it seems the favorites always get good clocking grades. I don't trust that. But it helps when you can cross-reference all 3. I've found some nice things by doing that.

classhandicapper
01-09-2017, 01:55 PM

DRF has a clocker report in NY, but to be honest I haven't looked at it too much.

Bruno De Julio may also sell some stuff.

EMD4ME
01-09-2017, 06:28 PM

I ask this sincerely as I am NOT a cali capper. Are you referring to Cali late money being wrong? Or overall? I thank you in advance Track Phantom!

EMD4ME
01-09-2017, 06:29 PM
DRF has a clocker report in NY, but to be honest I haven't looked at it too much.

Bruno De Julio may also sell some stuff.

They have it for Bel and Sar but not for AQU, am I right? Thanks in advance also Class!

Track Phantom
01-09-2017, 06:43 PM
I ask this sincerely as I am NOT a cali capper. Are you referring to Cali late money being wrong? Or overall? I thank you in advance Track Phantom!
Normally, the late (and early) money in So. Cal. is pretty accurate. Never understood that phenomenon but somehow those guys that race in the door two minutes to post and just get their bet in at the window are the guys who get it right. They should arrive earlier to make sure they don't get shut out :)

EMD4ME
01-09-2017, 06:45 PM
Normally, the late (and early) money in So. Cal. is pretty accurate. Never understood that phenomenon but somehow those guys that race in the door two minutes to post and just get their bet in at the window are the guys who get it right. They should arrive earlier to make sure they don't get shut out :)

:lol: :lol:

So I misread your post, thought you meant the opposite. My fault.

OK, so they are just like NY lately with the massive unusual money being mostly right....(pushing ML's down a lot).

SuperPickle
01-09-2017, 06:54 PM

Did you see the final hit?

Second to last flash she's 3/5 and Shane's Girlfriend 3/2. Final odds flipped to even and 4/5. That's serious money. Serious wrong money.

EMD4ME
01-09-2017, 06:57 PM

Second to last flash she's 3/5 and Shane's Girlfriend 3/2. Final odds flipped to even and 4/5. That's serious money. Serious wrong money.

Cratos?

Track Phantom
01-09-2017, 07:19 PM
:lol: :lol:

So I misread your post, thought you meant the opposite. My fault.

OK, so they are just like NY lately with the massive unusual money being mostly right....(pushing ML's down a lot).
There is no logic in the late money being more accurate than money bet any other time.

EMD4ME
01-09-2017, 07:57 PM
There is no logic in the late money being more accurate than money bet any other time.

In NY, they open short (horse that sometimes shouldn't and sometimes should as sharp guy horses), they get bet throughout and they fire like crazy.

Was wondering if it's the same out there. I was watching the board yesterday out there and every horse that should be bet but wasn't was dead in the running. Keep in mind, that's 1 day out of a zillion.

classhandicapper
01-09-2017, 08:08 PM
They have it for Bel and Sar but not for AQU, am I right? Thanks in advance also Class!

That sounds right, but I'm not 100% sure. I believe it's for GP right now. I looked at it for a few weeks last year and thought it was useful, but there are only so many hours in a day for handicapping. I play so few maiden races with a lot of FTS, it was less useful to my game than it might be for other handicappers.

classhandicapper
01-09-2017, 08:10 PM

I'm just glad the price was too low for me to get involved because if I bet her and she dropped that hard on the last flash I would have been quite upset given she lost. ;)

classhandicapper
01-09-2017, 08:16 PM
In NY, they open short (horse that sometimes shouldn't and sometimes should as sharp guy horses), they get bet throughout and they fire like crazy.

Was wondering if it's the same out there. I was watching the board yesterday out there and every horse that should be bet but wasn't was dead in the running. Keep in mind, that's 1 day out of a zillion.

The timing of the betting is an interesting phenomenon. I have a friend that's a serious trainer handicapper. He keeps all kinds of stats on trainers and owners that no one publishes. I know for sure he used to track early and late money by trainer and owner. He once told me he found consistent patterns that he's been able to use to supplement his own handicapping.

EMD4ME
01-09-2017, 08:18 PM
The timing of the betting is an interesting phenomenon. I have a friend that's a serious trainer handicapper. He keeps all kinds of stats on trainers and owners that no one publishes. I know for sure he used to track early and late money by trainer and owner. He once told me he found consistent patterns that he's been able to use to supplement his own handicapping.

Good stuff Class and friend. The more one knows that almost no one else knows, the bettor/better :D

cato
01-09-2017, 09:35 PM
Mr. Phantom (and anyone else) - have you reviewed Bruno's workout reports and if so how do you think they compare to the three you mentioned?

Thanks

menifee
01-10-2017, 09:19 AM
Anyone notice that the Beyer on the race came up light? Timeform had it as a much stronger race. Visually, she looked really impressive.

I thought Shane's Girlfriend was the real value in the race when I saw 3-1. So did a whale apparently. I never learn my lesson about Delta form.

NTamm1215
01-10-2017, 12:37 PM
Anyone notice that the Beyer on the race came up light? Timeform had it as a much stronger race. Visually, she looked really impressive.

I thought Shane's Girlfriend was the real value in the race when I saw 3-1. So did a whale apparently. I never learn my lesson about Delta form.

The final time was nothing special when you stack it up with the sprints run right before and right after. That's why the Beyer is light, but it's a good starting point for her 3YO campaign.

For that matter, I'd like Mike Smith to commit to giving some of the fillies he coddles down the stretch the Arrogate Travers treatment and actually ask them to the wire. The public is seduced by "in hand" wins, but being tested/pushed once in a while is a good thing.

classhandicapper
01-10-2017, 02:34 PM
The final time was nothing special when you stack it up with the sprints run right before and right after. That's why the Beyer is light, but it's a good starting point for her 3YO campaign.

For that matter, I'd like Mike Smith to commit to giving some of the fillies he coddles down the stretch the Arrogate Travers treatment and actually ask them to the wire. The public is seduced by "in hand" wins, but being tested/pushed once in a while is a good thing.

I'm not even sure the figure for her matters much based on what I saw. The horses behind her weren't anything special, but they were better than typical maiden graduates. Unless someone new emerges in that division or one of the other fillies improves sharply she may not get asked for her best until she meets her older stablemate. That's a weak looking division. Speaking of Songbird, she probably would have benefited from being more battle seasoned when she hooked up with Beholder. They sometimes need one really tough stretch drive before they are ready for that kind of challenge. She could be tougher this year.

cj
01-10-2017, 03:32 PM
I'm not even sure the figure for her matters much based on what I saw. The horses behind her weren't anything special, but they were better than typical maiden graduates. Unless someone new emerges in that division or one of the other fillies improves sharply she may not get asked for her best until she meets her older stablemate. That's a weak looking division. Speaking of Songbird, she probably would have benefited from being more battle seasoned when she hooked up with Beholder. They sometimes need one really tough stretch drive before they are ready for that kind of challenge. She could be tougher this year.

The figure always matters for proper context, and of course for the other horses as you alluded.

SG4
01-10-2017, 03:57 PM
What Beyer fig did she get assigned for the last win? I was expecting an 87 or so based on the other races of the day.

cj
01-10-2017, 04:11 PM
What Beyer fig did she get assigned for the last win? I was expecting an 87 or so based on the other races of the day.

You can always find stakes Beyer figures here:

http://www1.drf.com/stakeresults/drfStakeResults.jsp

classhandicapper
01-10-2017, 04:29 PM
The figure always matters for proper context, and of course for the other horses as you alluded.

I hear you. Most people start with the figure and go from there.

I'm not sure what various figure comparisons say, but I thought It Tiz Well and Shane's Girlfriend both looked like pretty good horses coming in. Princess Karen didn't even look so bad (2 horse behind her came back to break their maidens). That's not so weak for a January 3yo Grade 2 stake.

There was a little battle in front of Unique Bella, but she moved past those horses easily while 4 wide and not being asked for her best. Then she drew off while still not being asked for her best. I think that was a legit very good race for her even if it didn't come up especially fast and I still think the horses behind her are OK.

AltonKelsey
01-11-2017, 12:33 AM

Many moons ago in NY , Tom Gullo was famous, at least for a period, where some of his winners would get pounded at the last flash. On the order of 10-1 to 6-1, that kind of thing.

Was harder to do back then when $100 tickets were the max.

You never really know who is doing the betting, an owner, trainer, or just a player with a strong opinion and deep pockets.

Track Phantom
01-11-2017, 02:55 AM
Mr. Phantom (and anyone else) - have you reviewed Bruno's workout reports and if so how do you think they compare to the three you mentioned?

Thanks
I think Bruno does a good job, as well. He does a lot of work and is worth augmenting into your handicapping.

cj
01-12-2017, 11:44 AM

I've said for a while now the difference is ~20 points. Beyer gave an 88, I gave a 112 pace adjusted, but the final time figure was a 109. So really, we agreed on the speed of the track.

delsully
02-04-2017, 09:05 PM
This girl goes again tomorrow in the Las Virgines. She's going two turn for the first time against some talented foes. That being said, I think she wins comfortably, as Champagne Room probably won' be cranked. Also, Bella is just more talented.

classhandicapper
02-05-2017, 11:01 AM
It will be fun to see if she breaks out today.

I'm not a huge fan of the last year's BC Juvenile Filly race, but I think that race was probably better than the speed figures assigned and general perceptions about the race. There were quite a few rough trips in there. A few horses have come back to lose at short odds, but they are mostly running well and with better figures. When a bunch of horses looked faster than the figure going in and then run faster than the figure coming out, I think you can be fairly sure than they are better than the figure. The gap between Unique Bella and Champagne Room may be less than the figures imply. If Champagne Room is ready for a good effort off the freshening, she might force Unique Bella to run this time and we'll get to see how good she actually is.

classhandicapper
02-05-2017, 11:04 AM
I'm not sure what various figure comparisons say, but I thought It Tiz Well and Shane's Girlfriend both looked like pretty good horses coming in. Princess Karen didn't even look so bad (2 horse behind her came back to break their maidens). That's not so weak for a January 3yo Grade 2 stake.

There was a little battle in front of Unique Bella, but she moved past those horses easily while 4 wide and not being asked for her best. Then she drew off while still not being asked for her best. I think that was a legit very good race for her even if it didn't come up especially fast and I still think the horses behind her are OK.

I just noticed that It Tiz Well came back and ran impressively next out, albeit against weaker.

RunForTheRoses
02-05-2017, 04:34 PM
Another Superstar!

Psychotic Parakeet
02-05-2017, 04:54 PM
Hollendorfer said the goal with Unique Bella is the Kentucky Oaks.

RunForTheRoses
02-05-2017, 05:08 PM
It was a small field but she didn't break a sweat. All motion. Lets see what the speed fig was.

classhandicapper
02-06-2017, 09:25 AM
I was hoping Champagne Room would come back 100%, run a faster figure, and press Unique Bella enough to at least reveal what she has in the tank. Well, Champagne Room ran a small lifetime top, Mopotism improved more than that, and she still totally toyed with them.

I think my original thought may have been correct. We aren't going to see what she has in the tank until she either takes on Songbird or colts.

Beyer of 98 never asked at any stage. :eek:

cj
02-06-2017, 10:16 AM
I was hoping Champagne Room would come back 100%, run a faster figure, and press Unique Bella enough to at least reveal what she has in the tank. Well, Champagne Room ran a small lifetime top, Mopotism improved more than that, and she still totally toyed with them.

I think my original thought may have been correct. We aren't going to see what she has in the tank until she either takes on Songbird or colts.

Beyer of 98 never asked at any stage. :eek:

118 from me, so we agree right on. It wasn't an easy figure as the only route and for improving 3yos. It could have been higher but I think being conservative was the way to go here given the visuals of the race.

SuperPickle
02-06-2017, 12:51 PM
118 from me, so we agree right on. It wasn't an easy figure as the only route and for improving 3yos. It could have been higher but I think being conservative was the way to go here given the visuals of the race.

CJ I know she went about a second faster than Songbird did last year. What was the fig difference?

classhandicapper
02-06-2017, 01:54 PM

When some people were downgrading Songbird a bit last year because she wasn't putting up big figures early in the year, I felt sure I was watching a horse that was a lot better than her numbers.

I feel the same way now.

It was obvious Unique Bella could have put up a way faster number than she did last time if she was prompting better horses and asked late (it appears that race was also just upgraded from an 88 to a 91).

I think it's also pretty obvious she can do quite a bit better than her 98 also.

If she was chasing better horses yesterday she clearly could have stayed with them without taxing herself and I saw no sign she was anywhere near empty at the end. At this stage there's no telling how good she is, but we are all lucky to get to watch her. I hope she stays sound.

Could you imagine Smith having to choose between the 2 of them? :eek:

cj
02-06-2017, 04:07 PM
CJ I know she went about a second faster than Songbird did last year. What was the fig difference?

She ran a 111 overall, 108 final time.

Unique Bella ran 118 overall, 117 final time.

SuperPickle
02-06-2017, 07:00 PM
She ran a 111 overall, 108 final time.

Unique Bella ran 118 overall, 117 final time.

Considering how much more polished Songbird was at this point (she had already won around two turns twice and won a Breeders Cup) and how unpolished this horse is coupled with her ease in winning Sunday (Smith seemed far more concerned with her doing something nutty versus getting challenged by the other three animals. Basically it was her versus her our insanity.)

VigorsTheGrey
02-06-2017, 08:19 PM
Maybe one of the main reasons trainers don't want to run their top fillies like Songbird, or now Unique Bella, is that the Derby usually runs a maximum of 20 runners and with that many runners packed together, a lot can happen that might prove disastrous for a very valuable future mare...

The derby at times can be a very congested race to find yourself in the middle of, with no place to go and getting beat up, possibly, by the other horses all around you..

classhandicapper
02-07-2017, 09:48 AM
Maybe one of the main reasons trainers don't want to run their top fillies like Songbird, or now Unique Bella, is that the Derby usually runs a maximum of 20 runners and with that many runners packed together, a lot can happen that might prove disastrous for a very valuable future mare...

The derby at times can be a very congested race to find yourself in the middle of, with no place to go and getting beat up, possibly, by the other horses all around you..

If you are going to take a shot at boys, I think early in the year is the best time to do it. My data suggests that fillies develop sooner than colts and that the gap slowly grows as they mature. So in general I think you want to get them before they starting pulling away.

Under the old system, you could get into the Derby without running against boys or by trying boys in a single major prep to see where your filly fit. It's different now. If I had a great filly and the colts looked a little suspicious, I'd probably try the Preakness if I was feeling especially adventurous. The field is smaller, the distance less demanding, and it's still early in the season.

CincyHorseplayer
02-07-2017, 10:24 AM
If you are going to take a shot at boys, I think early in the year is the best time to do it. My data suggests that fillies develop sooner than colts and that the gap slowly grows as they mature. So in general I think you want to get them before they starting pulling away.

Under the old system, you could get into the Derby without running against boys or by trying boys in a single major prep to see where your filly fit. It's different now. If I had a great filly and the colts looked a little suspicious, I'd probably try the Preakness if I was feeling especially adventurous. The field is smaller, the distance less demanding, and it's still early in the season.

I'd try one of the major Derby preps to she where she stood. But is a win or a second enough points to get her in? If she fails it doesn't take the Oaks off the table. If she wins handily all is wide open. This is the smartest route if you were even considering any of this in the first place IMO.

cj
02-07-2017, 10:42 AM

That always seemed to be true, but for whatever reason seems to have vanished the last several years. It wasn't uncommon for fillies to run faster than colts when similar races were carded on the same day, like a Derby and and Oaks prep race. But that hasn't happened in quite a while if memory serves. The colts have been running much faster for a few years now.

classhandicapper
02-07-2017, 11:53 AM
That always seemed to be true, but for whatever reason seems to have vanished the last several years. It wasn't uncommon for fillies to run faster than colts when similar races were carded on the same day, like a Derby and and Oaks prep race. But that hasn't happened in quite a while if memory serves. The colts have been running much faster for a few years now.

The last BC Juvenile and BC Juvenile filly races are good examples of what you are saying.

I suspect it's probably just noise. There has to be a lot of randomness to it unless for some reason one or the other sex is being trained differently now.

Going as far back as when I first began making figures I noticed a lot of the best 2yo fillies were very close or even faster than the best 2yos colts (especially in sprints). But by the time we reached the end the 3yo year or were comparing older horses, the gap was typically more what you would expect unless there was some really freaky filly around or it was a weak male division.

Even right now, a lot of people would probably take Unique Bella over the 3yo colts. Assuming she stays healthy, how many think she's going to be the best 3yo in the country when it comes time for the Breeder's Cup Classic? You never know who, but somebody among the colts will probably jump up and start running some big numbers.

cj
02-07-2017, 12:05 PM
The last BC Juvenile and BC Juvenile filly races are good examples of what you are saying.

I suspect it's probably just noise. There has to be a lot of randomness to it unless for some reason one or the other sex is being trained differently now.

Going as far back as when I first began making figures I noticed a lot of the best 2yo fillies were very close or even faster than the best 2yos colts (especially in sprints). But by the time we reached the end the 3yo year or were comparing older horses, the gap was typically more what you would expect unless there was some really freaky filly around or it was a weak male division.

Even right now, a lot of people would probably take Unique Bella over the 3yo colts. Assuming she stays healthy, how many think she's going to be the best 3yo in the country when it comes time for the Breeder's Cup Classic? You never know who, but somebody among the colts will probably jump up and start running some big numbers.

I agree it is probably just noise. Songbird was the second best horse of her crop behind Arrogate, and Unique Bella is right at or near the top this year. But there has been no depth whatsoever to the division. it isn't just the BC races. The fillies have been coming back WAY slower than males. I find it bizarre based on years past.

picojim
03-28-2017, 01:22 PM
http://www.paulickreport.com/news/thoroughbred-racing/unique-bella-sidelined-indefinitely-due-shin-injury/

out of the oaks

Spalding No!
03-28-2017, 01:30 PM
out of the oaks
She was missing from the worktab this past weekend after her March 19 blitz going 6f.

Meanwhile, this development adds much to the dustup regarding Abel Tasman and the change in trainers. Has to burn the former trainer all the more now.

Abel Tasman just worked this morning for Bob Baffert for the second time, going 7f in 1:25+. The distance is a bit curious considering she hasn't been in the barn for very long, and certainly the final time was not quite up to barn standards.

Maybe Pletcher ought to send a filly out for the Santa Anita Oaks along with Battalion Runner.

VigorsTheGrey
03-28-2017, 04:22 PM
Shin injury, sore shins, shin bothering her, shin injury detected....what are the specifics here...? Is there a fracture in the shin bone....? What was detected by whom....?

SuperPickle
03-28-2017, 05:34 PM
She was missing from the worktab this past weekend after her March 19 blitz going 6f.

Meanwhile, this development adds much to the dustup regarding Abel Tasman and the change in trainers. Has to burn the former trainer all the more now.

Abel Tasman just worked this morning for Bob Baffert for the second time, going 7f in 1:25+. The distance is a bit curious considering she hasn't been in the barn for very long, and certainly the final time was not quite up to barn standards.

Maybe Pletcher ought to send a filly out for the Santa Anita Oaks along with Battalion Runner.

The interview I saw with Pletcher seemed to allude to the Santa Anita Derby being a necessary evil because of the points versus something TAP wanted to do.

So is Abel Tasman the Oaks favorite?

Btw... what's the line on this filly going to Baffert? Just like China Horse Club Don Alberto also uses Baffert. What it shock anyone if they shut her down and she resurfaces with Baffert in time for Saratoga.

SoCalCircuit
03-28-2017, 06:16 PM
Back to back years of people getting suckered in the oaks futures.

CincyHorseplayer
03-28-2017, 10:10 PM
I certainly don't like to see any horse get injured but this sure sets up potentially great betting races for the feature events on Oaks-Derby days. Refreshing.

Fager Fan
03-28-2017, 10:53 PM
Shin injury, sore shins, shin bothering her, shin injury detected....what are the specifics here...? Is there a fracture in the shin bone....? What was detected by whom....?

Shin soreness is a precursor to bucking shins. The only way to avoid bucking is to stop. Some will pinfire to either try to speed up the healing process or keep the shins from ever becoming an issue again. A blister is another option.

The soreness would be detected by the groom or trainer when feeling the legs. There could be heat and sensitivity.

Spalding No!
03-28-2017, 11:11 PM
Shin soreness is a precursor to bucking shins. The only way to avoid bucking is to stop. Some will pinfire to either try to speed up the healing process or keep the shins from ever becoming an issue again. A blister is another option.

The soreness would be detected by the groom or trainer when feeling the legs. There could be heat and sensitivity.
An interesting and perhaps telling fact is that Unique Bella went on the shelf for 5 months immediately following her debut.

outofthebox
09-14-2017, 02:54 PM
Working like a freak at Santa Anita. 58 2/5 on a long hold. Looks like she is right on schedule for BC.

classhandicapper
09-14-2017, 07:08 PM
Working like a freak at Santa Anita. 58 2/5 on a long hold. Looks like she is right on schedule for BC.

I am really looking forward to her coming back. She looked like she could become "anything".

jocko699
10-06-2017, 01:45 PM
She is entered in Sunday's LA Women stake at Santa Anita after recently working in 45 and change.

classhandicapper
10-06-2017, 02:47 PM
They found a VERY easy spot for her return. It's a shame they couldn't get her going sooner because she'd be a welcome addition to the BC Distaff. It looks like they are aiming for the F&M sprint.

jocko699
10-08-2017, 05:41 PM
A little slow out of the gate but she wins easily. Just a workout!

classhandicapper
10-09-2017, 10:15 AM
A little slow out of the gate but she wins easily. Just a workout!

I have mixed feelings about the performance.

She was a little slow out of the gate and raced 3 wide, but there weren't any world beaters in that field. I was expecting a little more. Off that race, she's not unbeatable in the BC. She better have a little more in the tank or she's in for a tough race even if she's best.

jocko699
10-09-2017, 04:28 PM
She also better not be lugging in either. The key is what does she get out of the race. I think Jerry H have to reconsider whether she will be ready in 4 weeks.

GMB@BP
10-09-2017, 04:32 PM
She also better not be lugging in either. The key is what does she get out of the race. I think Jerry H have to reconsider whether she will be ready in 4 weeks.

I would like to see the figures

it seemed like she broke slow, was climbing on heals, chased a slow pace and then drew off.

If it was a fast pace then I take that back but in context think it was fine.

Now is 7F really her thing either way, at a depressed price? I say no.

cj
10-09-2017, 04:36 PM
I would like to see the figures

it seemed like she broke slow, was climbing on heals, chased a slow pace and then drew off.

If it was a fast pace then I take that back but in context think it was fine.

Now is 7F really her thing either way, at a depressed price? I say no.

Should have figures tonight.

cj
10-10-2017, 10:03 AM
112 from me, knocked down a little due to slow pace. Final time figure is 117.

menifee
10-10-2017, 10:28 AM
I actually thought this race made her look vulnerable in the BC. Yes, she probably needed a race after a long layoff, but I thought the lugging in was a bad sign and she needed to be asked to beat a very mediocre field.

GMB@BP
10-10-2017, 12:07 PM
112 from me, knocked down a little due to slow pace. Final time figure is 117.

Yea thats a pretty bad figure, claiming level stuff.

Hard to see her winning off that.

cj
02-11-2018, 05:53 PM
Quite the performance yesterday by Unique Bella. These are the TimeformUS Speed Figures from SA on Saturday.

classhandicapper
02-12-2018, 04:36 PM
Quite the performance yesterday by Unique Bella. These are the TimeformUS Speed Figures from SA on Saturday.

Not bad. ;)

GMB@BP
02-12-2018, 09:05 PM
Pretty ideal setup to run a very fast figure but she is silly talented and I like her much better around two turns.

Where does 133 stack up to other fillies, I am having hard putting it into context. I know that would compete in many of the male races last season.

PointGiven
02-12-2018, 09:12 PM
I watched live. She clicked off 23 and change, 46 and change, 1:10 and change without any asking. So easy.

cj
02-12-2018, 09:19 PM
Pretty ideal setup to run a very fast figure but she is silly talented and I like her much better around two turns.

Where does 133 stack up to other fillies, I am having hard putting it into context. I know that would compete in many of the male races last season.

That is up there---Beholder territory. Rachel and Zenyatta were as well but that was pre-TimeformUS so not easy to compare.

picojim
08-18-2018, 04:28 PM
Unique Bella has been retired
https://www.horseracingnation.com/news/Unique_Bella_retired_after_injured_in_workout_owne r_announces_123