PDA

View Full Version : Aqueduct: Friday, January 6

Teach
01-06-2017, 11:51 AM
Race One:

:2: Vilma draws the rail (that may be the place to be) and has early speed (on what could be a speed-favoring track). Another factor is that this Broken Vow-bred chestnut gelding appears best suited for a two-turn mile. Add to the equation one of the best jockeys, nationwide, Jose Ortiz. Ortiz is keeping it “all in the family” as he rides for Linda Rice (Linda’s having an excellent “Big A” meet), his wife Taylor’s aunt. Others: :1: , :5: , :6:

Race Two:

Yes, I’m gonna try to beat the presumed favorite in this race. I just can’t see myself betting a less than even-money shot. My pick is :5: Cinderela El Chrome with the veteran Aaron Gryder in the irons. This Storm Cat-bred colt was last seen about two months ago at Gulfstream finishing up the track in a non-graded juvenile sprint stakes for Florida state-breds. That, as it turns, was an over-ambitious try. Today, however, this 3 year-old faces the kind of company he can, at his best, handle. John Morrison trains. One note of caution: Morrison has not done particularly well with horses that have been on the shelf. Others: the aforementioned :4: , plus :3: , :6:

Race Three:

In this MC sprint for state-breds I’m giving my nod to :5: Giant Rocks. This Frost Giant-bred gelding has been facing better both in the claiming ranks and in MSWs. This 3 year-old is catching a field he should be able to handle. I also like the turn back to six panels. Those route races looked, by and large, to have been “A Bridge Too Far”. This gelding looks more like a sprinter. One of NYRA’s best, Jose Ortiz, is in the irons; this time for trainer Mike Maker. Maker does very well with horses that go from route races to sprints. Others: :7: , :6: , :2:

Race Four:

I’m giving my tepid nod in what I consider a wide-open race to :9: Celtic Serenade. This lightly-raced 4 year-old Freud-bred New York State-foaled 4 year-old has experienced no success on the lawn. For that matter, this gelding’s only race on the main was uneventful. Yet, in that one, a race contested over a year ago at “The Big A,” was against better. I believe that with proper handling this gelding can get the job done. The gelding’s pilot, Antonio Gallardo, was “the scourge” of both Presque Isle and Tampa Bay Downs. In fact, Gallardo was the second leading jockey in win in 2015 to Javier Castellano. Again, with the right trip, this Storm Cat-bred can get his picture taken. Bruce Brown trains. Others: :8: , :4: , :1:

Race Five:

:3: Ma Can Do It was last seen on the racetrack last October at Keeneland in the Grade II Raven Run. As the results indicated, his connections overestimated this filly’s potential coming off a MSW win at Churchill Downs a few weeks earlier. Now, however, against this OC route field, this filly has a distinct chance. Manny Franco is in the irons for trainer Todd Pletcher. Quite candidly, Pletcher is having, at least for his standards, a mediocre Aqueduct meet. Others: :2: , :5: , :4:

Race Six:

In this claiming route, I’m giving my tepid, lukewarm nod to :7: Put It Forward. This Pit It Back-bred 7 year-old gelding must break alertly (that first turn comes up very quickly) to put himself into contention in this claiming route. I should note that this horses is dropping down the claiming ladder (almost suspiciously so) faster than the express elevator at Boston’s Prudential Tower. If this gelding runs to his ability he can handle this field, but again, why the 2-class+ drop? Jose Ortiz is in the irons for trainer Danny Gargan. Gargan does well when entering horses that are dropping 2+ classifications. Others: :1: , :2: , :3:

Race Seven:

My choice in this n2L claiming sprint is the :5: Shuffle Up. This Harlan’s Holiday-bred is back down in the company with the kind he should handle after trying the rarified air of allowance company at Parx. The most capable Manny Franco is in the stirrups for trainer Jason Servis. Servis does well in most racing categories. My only caveat: this gelding’s been away from the races for over three months. Others: :1: , :4: , :3:

Race Eight:

My pick here is the :9: Woodville. This lightly-raced, well-bred chestnut mare reeled off two straight wins at “The Spa” last summer. In this distaffer’s last effort, she went off as the prohibitive favorite; she didn’t disappoint. This mare is now facing optional claiming company that she should easily handle. My only worry is that this 5 year-old has been away from the races for 4 months. The mare’s trainer, Mike Hushion does reasonably well in that category. Yet, I must profess that I have lingering concerns. If this mare runs back to her previous two tries, she should tower over this field. It’s the layoff that has me on edge, especially at an expected even-money or lower odds. Others: :8: , :4: , :3:

Race Nine:

In the finale, a maiden-claiming sprint, I’m going with :9: Indygo Tigress. This A.P. Indy-bred chestnut filly has shown little in recent tries. Yet, I believe that this race could be a wake up call. The filly has the services of a top-notch pilot, Antonio Gallardo. You can add to the equation that this is the filly’s second start off a layoff. Long Island’s Gary Contessa trains this daughter of Indygo Shiner. A recent sharp work bolsters confidence. Others: :8: , :6: , :4: