PDA

View Full Version : Puerto Rico 51st state?

zico20
01-06-2017, 12:23 AM
The government down there is on the move to get statehood by 2025. Damn, do we really need another state that can't manage its resources properly. But more importantly, where the hell would that new star go on the flag. Maybe we can swap Puerto Rico and give California the heave ho. ;)

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/C/CB_PUERTO_RICO_STATEHOOD?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

LottaKash
01-06-2017, 02:05 AM
According to Barry, that would be the "53rd" State... :D

Actor
01-06-2017, 02:09 AM
[QUOTE=zico20But more importantly, where the hell would that new star go on the flag.[/QUOTE]6 rows of stars alternating between 9 stars per row and 8 stars per row. 3x9=27. 3x8=24. 27+24=51.

barahona44
01-06-2017, 08:08 AM
6 rows of stars alternating between 9 stars per row and 8 stars per row. 3x9=27. 3x8=24. 27+24=51.

Actor,the Betsy Ross of Pace Advantage. :D

Article on the (surprisingly,not that rare) 49 star flag, used for a few months in between Alaska and Hawaii statehood.Not the straight 7 × 7 grid I would have thought.

http://steve-lovelace.com/49-star-flag/

And a overview of Puerto Rico statehood:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statehood_movement_in_Puerto_Rico

johnhannibalsmith
01-06-2017, 11:32 AM
Now seems like the perfect time to finally re-do the flag using stars in sizes that correspond to the size (in terms of influence) of each state. Some truth in advertising and much more artistic; the fringe states need to be reminded of their status.

HalvOnHorseracing
01-06-2017, 01:21 PM
The 10 largest states in terms of population have more people than the next 40 states combined. You could probably fit the state initials in the big states stars if you made the stars proportional.

johnhannibalsmith
01-06-2017, 01:25 PM
The 10 largest states in terms of population have more people than the next 40 states combined. You could probably fit the state initials in the big states stars if you made the stars proportional.

They get to be the planets.

davew
01-06-2017, 01:37 PM

Why would you go population (which is always changing) when you can go square miles?

zico20
01-06-2017, 02:24 PM
Why would you go population (which is always changing) when you can go square miles?

That puts Alaska at the top!

tucker6
01-06-2017, 02:41 PM
I too would swap out California for PR. Was just there last month, and it's beautiful and cheap. In fact, I'd give CA, NY, and MA to the Russians free of charge and remake the flag to 48 states. In 10 years, we will have won the new cold war with less baggage in tow.

JustRalph
01-06-2017, 04:49 PM
The more in debt they get, the more they will demand statehood. Coincidence?

Tom
01-06-2017, 10:31 PM
The only question that matters is, Why do we need them?

Actor
01-07-2017, 06:51 PM
The only question that matters is, Why do we need them?Who is "we"?

zico20
01-07-2017, 07:22 PM
Who is "we"?

The USA would be much better off if Puerto Rico declared their independence and became a sovereign nation.

Actor
01-07-2017, 07:30 PM
The USA would be much better off if Puerto Rico declared their independence and became a sovereign nation.Why?

Tom
01-07-2017, 07:49 PM
Who is "we"?
The United States.
You know, the group PR would be joining?

zico20
01-07-2017, 08:11 PM
Why?

First off, we would not have to send them over 25 billion every year. Btw, that money saved could go to build that great wall you oppose, which would in turn save us billions more a year.

The island is a haven for American billionaires to avoid federal taxes, closing that loophole brings more money back to the US coffers.

Over half of the people are on public assistance, the unemployment rate is sky high, and they are in debt up to their assholes. USA taxpayers send over 2 billion a year to residents down there for food stamps.

Finally, many do not want to speak or learn English, or recite the Pledge of Allegiance.

Best we set them free and let them deal with the mess all by themselves.

barahona44
01-07-2017, 09:47 PM
Independence has never gotten more than 5.5 percent of the vote in the several plebesites held on the island, and they are almost exclusively the radical left.In theory, Congress could force independence on Puerto Rico without consulting the natives but that doesn't seem a likely option.

Actor
01-07-2017, 11:09 PM
The United States.
You know, the group PR would be joining?Does everything have to be determined in terms of "we" and "need"?

Actor
01-07-2017, 11:21 PM
The island is a haven for American billionaires to avoid federal taxes, closing that loophole brings more money back to the US coffers.Would not that loophole be closed if PR became a state?
Over half of the people are on public assistance, the unemployment rate is sky high, and they are in debt up to their assholes. USA taxpayers send over 2 billion a year to residents down there for food stamps.How does that compare (per capita) with the amount spent per year for food stamps for residents of the 50 states?
Finally, many do not want to speak or learn English, ...The U.S. has no official language.
... or recite the Pledge of Allegiance.I don't want to recite the pledge of allegiance, at least not the version passed by Congress. To require me to do so violates my first amendment rights.
Best we set them free and let them deal with the mess all by themselves.Since PR has been a U.S. protectorate since 1898 does not the U.S. have a duty to deal with "the mess"? Assuming there is one of course.

zico20
01-07-2017, 11:54 PM
Would not that loophole be closed if PR became a state?
How does that compare (per capita) with the amount spent per year for food stamps for residents of the 50 states?
The U.S. has no official language.
I don't want to recite the pledge of allegiance, at least not the version passed by Congress. To require me to do so violates my first amendment rights.
Since PR has been a U.S. protectorate since 1898 does not the U.S. have a duty to deal with "the mess"? Assuming there is one of course.

It doesn't matter. The USA saves billions by cutting them loose. The USA should have an official language. Language bonds a nation. We have been carrying them since 1898, it is time for them to stand on their own two feet and quit milking the cash cow dry. They would be in far worse shape if they were independent, and they know it. They don't want to recite the Pledge of Allegiance for a completely different reason.

If we are going to make any territory we have the 51st state I would prefer American Samoa. ;)

MONEY
01-08-2017, 12:28 AM
or recite the Pledge of Allegiance.

As citizens of the United States, Puerto Ricans have participated in every major United States military engagement from World War I onward. During World War II, Puerto Ricans participated in the Pacific and Atlantic theaters, not only as combatants, but also as commanders. It was during this conflict that Puerto Rican nurses were allowed to participate as members of the WAACs.
The members of Puerto Rico's 65th Infantry Regiment distinguished themselves in combat during the Korean War and were honored with the Congressional Gold Medal.[3] During the Vietnam War five Puerto Ricans were awarded the Medal of Honor, the highest military honor in the United States. Presently Puerto Ricans continue to serve in the military of the United States.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_history_of_Puerto_Rico

Tom
01-08-2017, 10:14 AM
Does everything have to be determined in terms of "we" and "need"?

Duh.
Yes, of course.
"We" is the country.....who else would YOU consider?

Why would we add a new state if it did not help the country?
Should me make Iraq a state because we own them one?

Tom
01-08-2017, 10:15 AM
It doesn't matter. The USA saves billions by cutting them loose. The USA should have an official language.

Bingo!
Job #2, right after sovereignty.
A nation that cannot communicate easily will never last.
Language is a bigger wall than Trump could ever build.

Tom
01-08-2017, 10:18 AM
As citizens of the United States, Puerto Ricans have participated in every major United States military engagement from World War I onward. During World War II, Puerto Ricans participated in the Pacific and Atlantic theaters, not only as combatants, but also as commanders. It was during this conflict that Puerto Rican nurses were allowed to participate as members of the WAACs.
The members of Puerto Rico's 65th Infantry Regiment distinguished themselves in combat during the Korean War and were honored with the Congressional Gold Medal.[3] During the Vietnam War five Puerto Ricans were awarded the Medal of Honor, the highest military honor in the United States. Presently Puerto Ricans continue to serve in the military of the United States.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_history_of_Puerto_Rico

Good arguments for.
Both sides need to be fully vetted.
Fairly.
:ThmbUp:

Tom
01-08-2017, 10:21 AM
Does everything have to be determined in terms of "we" and "need"?

Duh.
Yes, of course.
"We" is the country.....who else would YOU consider?

Why would we add a new state if it did not help the country?
Should me make Iraq a state because we own them one?

Jess Hawsen Arown
01-08-2017, 11:17 AM
This attempt for statehood by some Puerto Ricans has been going on for years. Maybe it will happen some day. Personally, I would like to see either statehood or independence-- not the current "in between."

But if they voted to become a state and nobody could figure out how to make a symmetrical flag with 51 stars, I join with those who want to make California an independent country.

Tom
01-08-2017, 11:35 AM
Who gets stuck with the bill for two new desks and chairs for the senate?

Actor
01-08-2017, 02:54 PM
Duh.
Yes, of course.
"We" is the country.....who else would YOU consider?The entire human race.

Tom
01-08-2017, 03:36 PM
The entire human race.

Stupid reply.
What business is it of anyone else but the US?
You want china to weigh in on it?

barahona44
01-08-2017, 04:16 PM
Who gets stuck with the bill for two new desks and chairs for the senate?
Mexico. :)

Actor
01-08-2017, 04:36 PM
Who gets stuck with the bill for two new desks and chairs for the senate?There's a couple down at the Salvation Army store cheap. I'll spring for them.