PDA

View Full Version : On social media and cell phones

Grits
12-30-2016, 10:21 AM
Watched this video yesterday, and there is tremendous truth to it. It's an equal opportunity reprimand. Not one solely targeted at millennials. Baby boomers, like many of us here, are taken to task as well.

He is on the mark regarding the imbalance of social media and cell phones in our daily lives. It's all a terrific mess. One that I tire of, and easily remove myself from completely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hER0Qp6QJNU

ebcorde
12-30-2016, 10:44 AM
Watched this video yesterday, and there is tremendous truth to it. It's an equal opportunity reprimand. Not one solely targeted at millennials. Baby boomers, like many of us here, are taken to task as well.

He is on the mark regarding the imbalance of social media and cell phones in our daily lives. It's all a terrific mess. One that I tire of, and easily remove myself from completely.

based on his life experience.

I did not grow up with a 15 year war that won't end. I'd tune out too.
I did not have cable network 24/7 fake news

what these kids taught me.
Cell Phones? I pay $1 a month for a internet phone number, free service
I pay $0 for TV and Movies and I get everything
I could get TV Internet and phone via 1 cell phone,

saved me over $200 a month.

my kids rarely watch TV or sports. if they do its on demand. less TV watching than my generation.

Facebook? for old people and dummies.

they have patience, they simply don't like the system
Also with a good smart phone, what else do you need to buy?

Greyfox
12-30-2016, 11:14 AM
Thank you for posting that video Grits. :ThmbUp:
Quite often I sit at a food court in a shopping center.
Four young people sit at the next table.
They immediately start texting to someone not there and ignore each other.
Social media is wonderful in its place.
However, it is also a means to avoid deeper face to face conversation.

EasyGoer89
12-30-2016, 11:17 AM

Those people are 'more famous' on social media, In real life they're just average Joes, once they pick up the phone, they become a mini Kim Kardashian.

ebcorde
12-30-2016, 11:29 AM

yeah not everything is perfect. I see that too. at least they keep in contact with friends, in the old days move, new job you lost friends.

should research what was said by old people when the first phones came alive.
"all they do is talk on that thing"

ebcorde
12-30-2016, 11:40 AM
sky sports 1 is showing darts. on the right side people are live tweeting

http://cricfree.sc/sky-sports-1-live-stream-ss-1 (cricfree.sc/sky-sports-1-live-stream-ss-1)

watch sports and tweet

Grits
12-30-2016, 11:46 AM
sky sports 1 is showing darts. on the right side people are live tweeting

http://cricfree.sc/sky-sports-1-live-stream-ss-1

watch sports and tweet

Wow. Darts. Don't break bad and have too much fun now. Or better yet, exercise. :lol:

johnhannibalsmith
12-30-2016, 11:53 AM
...people are live tweeting...

If that is one of those weird expressions in a foreign brogue that means people are overrated then I agree.

ebcorde
12-30-2016, 12:00 PM
Wow. Darts. Don't break bad and have too much fun now. Or better yet, exercise. :lol:

:lol:
winner gets 350,000 Euros

Jess Hawsen Arown
12-30-2016, 02:03 PM
Brilliant. I just forwarded the link to friends.

Jess Hawsen Arown
12-30-2016, 02:06 PM
based on his life experience.

I did not grow up with a 15 year war that won't end. I'd tune out too.
I did not have cable network 24/7 fake news

what these kids taught me.
Cell Phones? I pay $1 a month for a internet phone number, free service
I pay $0 for TV and Movies and I get everything
I could get TV Internet and phone via 1 cell phone,

saved me over $200 a month.

my kids rarely watch TV or sports. if they do its on demand. less TV watching than my generation.

Facebook? for old people and dummies.

they have patience, they simply don't like the system
Also with a good smart phone, what else do you need to buy?

One thing is clear from reading your posts. I'm glad I don't know you.

Because if I did, it would end abruptly. Not to worry, I won't be reading your posts any more so my health will remain on an even keel.

Tom
12-30-2016, 02:29 PM

Right under the wire for POY! :lol:

Grits
12-30-2016, 03:00 PM
JessHA, you pulled a good one. I doubt this one can be topped by tomorrow at midnight. Like you, Tom, I'm ROTFLing.....:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Ecord, are you using cheap a$$ Cricket Wireless???

Your poor children, you're abusive, that's garbage. :lol:

As far as the video, I think it's outstanding. There's much to be learned by all of us. I cannot tell you all how often I go out to dinner (usually by myself, or with my son) and I'm noticing the family next to me--4 or more, all fixated and fiddling with their phones. It's terribly sad to me.

CincyHorseplayer
12-30-2016, 05:59 PM

Nice find. It's a topic I ponder all the time thinking about my kids and basically just looking around at the disconnect we have in today's world. Realization happens by just walking around downtown somewhere. People are often baffled by any attempt at having more than a 5 word conversation! One of the big things I see is simply the waste of time with texting. 5 minute conversations that last hours. Too much Facebook IMO cheapens relationships. I asked several longtime friends last summer to "Let's do something" repeatedly and they clam up and disappear many of them. The relationship is the medium not us. What struck me is during his social-psychoanalysis is exactly that kids need an outlet that soothes their psyche more than the instant gratification. The mediocre rewards system plus kids in therapy it is a bad system. I have always taught my children to read and to learn. I said it lets your imagination breathe. But when thinking about while listening to this I realized that it wasn't just learning that worked for me but it was my "therapy" and way to psychologically self soothe. And my kids have better habits than me! The irony isn't lost on me reading this link from a fellow horseplayer! I love to gamble, party, and binge sexually! I have far too many instant gratification habits! But I at least have a decent base. There is balance as I only overindulge in anything infrequently.

But anyway. Nice find Grits. Happy New Year!

ebcorde
12-30-2016, 06:22 PM
Right under the wire for POY! :lol:

this is for the other guy not you

why? all the kids think that way, I'm baffled.
I have to give billionaires my money?

ebcorde
12-30-2016, 06:32 PM
JessHA, you pulled a good one. I doubt this one can be topped by tomorrow at midnight. Like you, Tom, I'm ROTFLing.....:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Ecord, are you using cheap a$$ Cricket Wireless???

Your poor children, you're abusive, that's garbage. :lol:

As far as the video, I think it's outstanding. There's much to be learned by all of us. I cannot tell you all how often I go out to dinner (usually by myself, or with my son) and I'm noticing the family next to me--4 or more, all fixated and fiddling with their phones. It's terribly sad to me.

it's a good website!
I just watch let my wife control the big TV watch shows, I sit in the bedroom

why that guy thinks I'm a terrorist because I explained how kids avoid paying the US billionaires for Media content!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

geez. the whole world is doing it
that Asia is 4/5/G TV,PHONE,WIFI via 1 cell phone $30 a month Seoul is 100% fiber optics. My oldest lived there in Seoul 2 years teaching. also in Japan

ebcorde
12-30-2016, 06:38 PM

Because if I did, it would end abruptly. Not to worry, I won't be reading your posts any more so my health will remain on an even keel.

One thing is clear from reading your posts. you're old.

ebcorde
12-30-2016, 06:46 PM
it's a good website!
I just watch let my wife control the big TV watch shows, I sit in the bedroom

why that guy thinks I'm a terrorist because I explained how kids avoid paying the US billionaires for Media content!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

geez. the whole world is doing it
that Asia is 4/5/G TV,PHONE,WIFI via 1 cell phone $30 a month Seoul is 100% fiber optics. My oldest lived there in Seoul 2 years teaching. also in Japan

As far as the video, I think it's outstanding.

I agree I never look at the phone when out bars,eating, the potential is tremendous. If people chose to use it that way.,their choice.

I can tell you my kids , nephews. only need a Good wi-fi cell phone.
it's like a James Bond Device. for people that know.

Grits
12-30-2016, 07:20 PM
As far as the video, I think it's outstanding.

I agree I never look at the phone when out bars,eating, the potential is tremendous. If people chose to use it that way.,their choice.

I can tell you my kids , nephews. only need a Good wi-fi cell phone.
it's like a James Bond Device. for people that know.

Now, now, ECord, you have no clue as to Jess' age, not that it matters AT ALL. Think about it, you just stated that your oldest has already spent two years teaching in Seoul as well as time in Japan. Unless he moved overseas at age 12 to accomplish this....you, ain't no Spring chicken either. So, just hush on the old business and never complain about aging, it's a privilege denied to many.

Cincy, it sounds like you have a great relationship with your children!! Glad you liked the video. Wishing you much the best, a Happy New Year in 2017. The blessings of good health, good work and many cashed tickets! :)

ebcorde
12-30-2016, 07:26 PM
Now, now, ECord, you have no clue as to Jess' age, not that it matters AT ALL. Think about it, you just stated that your oldest has already spent two years teaching in Seoul as well as time in Japan. Unless he moved overseas at age 12 to accomplish this....you, ain't no Spring chicken either. So, just hush on the old business and never complain about aging, it's a privilege denied to many.

Cincy, it sounds like you have a great relationship with your children!! Glad you liked the video. Wishing you much the best, a Happy New Year in 2017. The blessings of good health, good work and many cashed tickets! :)

AH YOU RIGHT I WENT LOW.