PDA

View Full Version : Aqueduct: Thursday, December 29

Teach
12-29-2016, 10:40 AM
The Rains in Rockaway (Blvd) Fall Mainly on “The A”. “I think she’s got it!” (Rex Harrison).

All right boys and girls, men and women. Let’s do it! And, a juicy Pick-6 carryover to boot. Frankly, I’ve been going through withdrawal symptoms. So let the races begin.

Race One:

:5: Unrepented won her last against better in the mud at “The Big A” a few weeks ago. The veteran jock, Mike Luzzi, is in the irons. The Wilmington, DE native should have this Louis Quatorze-bred mare in an excellent stalking position. Do I hear stretch “pounce”? This mare appears to love the slop (she’s hit the tote in 3/4ths of her lifetime tries). Chris Englehart does very well with horses who have won their previous race. Others: :6: , :1: , :2:

Race Two:

:2: Even Bette would appear to be the prohibitive stick-out as “The Rains of Ranchipur” continue to pound South Ozone, Queens. My only question is: “Why are the mare’s connections doing the “claiming-race limbo”? How low can you go? Suspicious. Yeah. But it’s hard to look a “gift horse” in the face. Especially with the wet-track lineage of Stephen Got Even. The mare’s trainer, Dave Cannizo (a former assistant to Dale Romans), is having a solid “Big A” meet. This mare looks too good to be true. She’ll likely go off as the prohibitive fave. Possibly a singleton in your exotics? The most capable, Manny Franco, is in the irons. Others: :6: , :7: , :5:

Race Three:

:7: Natalie Victoria catches my eye as a mare who should do well in this claiming route. This aged mare has wet-track breeding written all over her. She’s hit the tote in 8 out of 11 lifetime wet-track tries. The mare’s pilot, “Double-A,” Angel Arroyo, should have this Stormy Atlantic-bred distaffer out and going when the gates open. After that it will be up to “El Panameno” to ration out this mare’s speed. Owner-trainer David Jacobson does very well with horses that have been on the shelf. Others: :5: , :2: , :1:

Race Four:

:5: City Trapper gets my nod in this maiden-claiming state-bred sprint. This bay filly sports solid wet-track breeding, both up and down. I’ll give her “a mulligan” off her last try, her only pari-mutuel start. It was against better. In that one, this filly just couldn’t get her act together. It’s quite possible that this drop in company combined with wet-track conditions might just be the prescription for a trip to the winner’s circle. The apprentice, Addiel Ayala, is in the irons for the most capable conditioner, Charley Baker. Others: :2:, :7: , :4:

Race Five:

:5: Grey Glory is my choice in this 6-panels claimer. This Holy Bull-bred grey gelding has won his last three out in four tries in this same general claiming company. This Flashy Bull-bred is now trained by Ray Handal. Handal is having a solid “Big A” meet. One of NYRA’s leading riders, Manny Franco, has his feet in the stirrups. A decent-recent morning work adds to the confidence level. Others: :7: , :3: , :1:

Race Six:

:8: Malibu Princess, the 2-1 ML favorite, looks to be the best in this allowance sprint, n1x. This Malibu Moon (A.P. Indy)-bred filly would appear to move up on the presumed wet-track conditions. Irad Ortiz, Jr. should have this 3 year-old out and going when the bell sounds and the gates release. She could very well be playing catch-me-if-you-can. This filly’s conditioner, Rudy Rodriguez, is having a solid “Big A” meet. Rodriguez is taking the blinkers off; yet, frankly, he hasn’t had much success when doing that. Still… Others: :4: , :3:, :2:

Race Seven:

:2: Our Cousin Dick is my pick in this MSW route. Dylan Davis reprises the ride for trainer Mike Hushion. Hushion does very well in both the 3rd start off a layoff and MSW categories. This is this 3 year-old Giant’s Causeway-bred’s fourth start. His connections had previously tried him on the turf. Nada. Then, in a race taken off the turf, this chestnut gelding finished third against similar company. I believe this gelding moves up on an “off” track. Again, hard to quantify, but I also believe the gelding’s jock, Dylan Davis, moves up on wet-track conditions. Hey, there are horses for courses and riders for conditions. Others: :1: , :3: , :4:

Race Eight:

In the Damon Runyon non-graded stakes for New York state-breds at a mile and 70, my pick is the ML longshot, :8: Mo Maverick. You won’t need Bret or Bart to tell you that this 2 year-old Uncle Mo-bred bay colt fits “nicely-nicely” in this company. This colt has won his last two. He should move up on the presumed wet-track conditions. Do I hear Lemon Drop Kid? The colt’s conditioner, George Weaver, is an exceptional trainer. To add to the colt’s luster he turned in a 4-panels “bullet” work about a week ago. Others: :1: , :2:, :3:

Race Nine:

In the finale, a 6-panels state-bred claimer, I’m going with the “outside” horse, :9: Ruby One. This First Samurai-bred bay filly did nuthin in her only pari-mutuel start. Yet, I’m willing to give her another shot. I believe this filly will move up on a “Big A” surface that may look like gumbo by the time we finish up today’s card. Mike Luzzi is in the irons for trainer Phil Serpe. Serpe, who does well with horses entered in maiden-claiming events, may be able to “get off the schneid” in this one. This filly does add Lasix; she’s also dropping down in company. Others: :3: , :5: , :6: