PDA

View Full Version : George Michael RIP

barahona44
12-25-2016, 06:45 PM
It has been reported that George Michael, one of popular music's biggest stars of the 80's has passed away at age 53

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2016/dec/25/george-michael-pop-superstar-dies-at-53

EMD4ME
12-25-2016, 07:46 PM
Remember him performing live in my clubbing days 15-20 years ago. Sad. 53 is too young.

TJDave
12-25-2016, 07:49 PM
It has been reported that George Michael, one of popular music's biggest stars of the 80's has passed away.

The 80's was the lowest point in American music.

RunForTheRoses
12-25-2016, 07:51 PM
Wasn't much of a fan at all but he was definitely part of the 80s zeitgeist RIP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lu3VTngm1F0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8gmARGvPlI

EasyGoer89
12-25-2016, 09:00 PM
Last Christmas.

RIP to GM certainly way too young.

upthecreek
12-26-2016, 09:10 AM

Wake me up before I Go Go, dont keep me hanging on like a Yo Yo wasnt great lyrics? :lol:

upthecreek
12-26-2016, 09:33 AM
Knew you took the news pretty hard...remember in the 80's everyone else had posters of Joan Jett, Stevie Nicks and Shiela E ....and you had posters of Wham! and Frankie Goes to Hollywood.

Hang in there, buddy :ThmbUp:
Going to ruin my New Years celebration :blush:

NorCalGreg
12-26-2016, 09:36 AM
Going to ruin my New Years celebration :blush:

I thought I deleted it before you could see it....since it was in slightly poor taste

EasyGoer89
12-26-2016, 11:36 AM

It was?

EasyGoer89
12-26-2016, 11:37 AM
Wake me up before I Go Go, dont keep me hanging on like a Yo Yo wasnt great lyrics? :lol:

He criticized an entire decade and hundreds of artists, not just one song.

upthecreek
12-26-2016, 11:46 AM
He criticized an entire decade and hundreds of artists, not just one song.
I can read I WAS just pointing out one song

NorCalGreg
12-26-2016, 11:58 AM

After the wonderful disco era....wait, have you lost your mind Dave? The 90's was somehow a step up? I don't remember it that way. Unless you recall Daft Punk, Ricky Martin, Lil Kim and the Backstreet boys with fond memories.

Fager Fan
12-26-2016, 04:34 PM
Cause of death?

Father Figure was a good song.

elysiantraveller
12-26-2016, 05:33 PM
After the wonderful disco era....wait, have you lost your mind Dave? The 90's was somehow a step up? I don't remember it that way. Unless you recall Daft Punk, Ricky Martin, Lil Kim and the Backstreet boys with fond memories.

Daft Punk :ThmbUp:

STP, Pearl Jam, Nirvana, RHCP, TOOL, Smashing Pumpkins, Oasis for a second...?

Emergence of Hip Hop to mainstream?

90's we're pretty good.

PhantomOnTour
12-26-2016, 05:41 PM
Daft Punk :ThmbUp:

STP, Pearl Jam, Nirvana, RHCP, TOOL, Smashing Pumpkins, Oasis for a second...?

Emergence of Hip Hop to mainstream?

90's we're pretty good.
Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins and the Chili Peppers were all born in the 80's

JustRalph
12-26-2016, 08:06 PM
Some of the stories coming out about how much money he was giving to charity anonymously are astounding.

Obviously a complicated man

elysiantraveller
12-26-2016, 09:09 PM
Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins and the Chili Peppers were all born in the 80's

Granted but none of them brought to the mainstream.

CincyHorseplayer
12-26-2016, 09:35 PM
Granted but none of them brought to the mainstream.

Just a basic curiosity question. Are you even into horse racing? I never see you anywhere in any racing thread and I've been here since 2008. Are you purely offtopic? I just find it bizarre.

elysiantraveller
12-26-2016, 09:47 PM
Just a basic curiosity question. Are you even into horse racing? I never see you anywhere in any racing thread and I've been here since 2008. Are you purely offtopic? I just find it bizarre.

I don't have nearly the opinions I used to. I play pretty infrequently at this point so most of my time in there is merely spent reading others opinions.

CincyHorseplayer
12-26-2016, 09:50 PM
I don't have nearly the opinions I used to. I play pretty infrequently at this point so most of my time in there is merely spent reading others opinions.

That's cool. I was just curious not hostile or anything!

TJDave
12-26-2016, 11:49 PM
It was?

OK, the 80's and the 90's.

Tom
12-27-2016, 01:02 PM
Duh......Sara Michelle Geller tweets

The Buffy alum, 39, had all the best intentions when she took to Twitter to mourn the Wham! star, but instead posted a heartfelt message about Culture Club's Boy George.

“Do you really want to hurt me? I guess you do 2016,” she wrote before using the hashtag #ripboygeorge.

Her blunder was quickly pointed out by fans, who blasted her for her mistake, forcing Gellar to post a lengthy correction.

PaceAdvantage
12-27-2016, 01:06 PM
Twitter idiots...posting just to post and be seen, instead of the supposed "heartfelt" expressions of sympathy that they would like you to believe.

This is why I don't use twitter or facebook or all that other crap. I get my fill of "posting just to post" right here... :lol:

Tom
12-28-2016, 07:52 AM
Twidiots! :lol:

Fager Fan
12-28-2016, 08:42 AM
Some of the stories coming out about how much money he was giving to charity anonymously are astounding.

Obviously a complicated man

It's interesting that so many obit articles talk of how much he did for the gay community. I think it's the opposite. Most people are ok with someone being gay if they are "normal" about their choices, pursuits, and lifestyle. It's doing things like a man going naked in public except for a leather thong, platform shoes, and carrying a whip that most don't get. Or having indiscriminate sex with any willing participant who enters a park or rest stop bathroom. GM being busted for his "lewd behavior" in a park didn't help the gay community but instead hurt it. People like Martina Navratilova are the ones who have helped their cause.

Heroin takes another. I'd love to see Trump target heroin pushers. This is hands-down the most evil and disgusting of drugs.

Tom
12-28-2016, 08:51 AM
It's doing things like a man going naked in public except for a leather thong, platform shoes, and carrying a whip

We have a word for that kind of thing around here......Tuesday.

JustRalph
12-28-2016, 11:12 AM
It's interesting that so many obit articles talk of how much he did for the gay community. I think it's the opposite. Most people are ok with someone being gay if they are "normal" about their choices, pursuits, and lifestyle. It's doing things like a man going naked in public except for a leather thong, platform shoes, and carrying a whip that most don't get. Or having indiscriminate sex with any willing participant who enters a park or rest stop bathroom. GM being busted for his "lewd behavior" in a park didn't help the gay community but instead hurt it. People like Martina Navratilova are the ones who have helped their cause.

Heroin takes another. I'd love to see Trump target heroin pushers. This is hands-down the most evil and disgusting of drugs.

A real wall would help the drug problem.

zico20
01-01-2017, 07:51 PM
It looks like suicide. He was not very good at it, as he attempted it numerous times, according to his boyfriend.

https://www.yahoo.com/celebrity/george-michael-boyfriend-claims-singer-182905332.html

Fager Fan
01-01-2017, 09:49 PM
It looks like suicide. He was not very good at it, as he attempted it numerous times, according to his boyfriend.

https://www.yahoo.com/celebrity/george-michael-boyfriend-claims-singer-182905332.html

The article doesn't shore up a suicide theory. That's just his boyfriend's theory though he gives no evidence to back it up.

delayjf
01-03-2017, 01:38 PM
The death of George Michael was a bit ominous for me.

My wife and I had been discussing the recently loss a good friend who suddenly died of a heart attack.

I then lamented to her that it seemed that most of Christmas songs being played on the radio, were cover versions by more contemporary singers and not the original artist. In this case, Taylor Swift was singing George Michael's "last Christmas". I made a comment to my wife that due to the drugs and lifestyle that GM was known for, it would not surprise me if he were to suddenly pass away as well.

That evening, they announced his death on the news. And while his death was not a surprise, but my predication to my wife the very day he died was.

PaceAdvantage
01-03-2017, 01:57 PM
It's like that time I was sitting on the toilet one morning, doing my thing, and oddly thinking to myself how operators in the old days used to say "One Moment Please" in their twangy operator-voice while they connected your call.

Sure enough, I open my Daily Racing Form and see a horse named "One Moment Please" running in one of the later races at Belmont that day (this was the first or second year I was into handicapping).

Of course, OMP wins and pays something like $20-$30, and I forget to bet it...or was broke by the time that race went off...either way, I screwed myself.

Not sure exactly what this has to do with George Michael dying, except to say we all get these moments of clarity in our lives that we live to regret... :lol: