PDA

View Full Version : Whatchu Talkin' 'Bout Terry?

kingfin66
12-24-2016, 11:25 AM
It seems that Terry Bradshaw is not too impressed with Mike Tomlin's coaching skills.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/steelers-legend-terry-bradshaw-is-not-a-fan-of-pittsburgh-coach-mike-tomlin-150150755.html

Coaching records for the last three Pittsburgh coaches dating back to 1969 (that is evidence of some great hires):

Noll 193-148-1 .566 (4 Super Bowl wins)
Cowher 149-90-1 .623 (1 Super Bowl win)
Tomlin 92-52-0 .639 (1 Super Bowl win)

headhawg
12-24-2016, 11:33 AM
Well, you know what "Hollywood" Henderson said about Bradshaw, and getting older hasn't helped TB in that department.

MutuelClerk
12-24-2016, 11:40 AM
Can't stand the Steelers. That being said Tomlin is one helluva coach.

Marshall Bennett
12-24-2016, 12:05 PM
I hated the Steelers during the late 70's only because i was such a huge Oiler's fan. Bradshaw was average at best, but a great team leader. Chuck Noll was a great coach, and the Steeler's defense was the best the leagues ever had. That all said, what Bradshaw says doesn't move me much at all.. He's growing old now and his grass-roots judgement sometimes interfere with modern times. I suffer from that to some degree, as many do. :)

JustRalph
12-24-2016, 12:25 PM
If anybody has earned the right to comment, it's Bradshaw.

Btw, I like to remind folks that every time you see a 70's era Steelers highlight with Len Swann et al making some great catch, Bradshaw was on the other end of it. He's one of the last old school GB's. He called 95% of his own plays too. At least that's what I have read. I liked him in the 70's and like him now

Inner Dirt
12-24-2016, 12:52 PM
I think you have to be a pretty damn good coach to win a Super Bowl in the salary cap era. No one has a stacked team on both sides of the ball anymore, even the best teams have holes. Also rules and their interpretation are constantly changing and that requires adapting year to year. It takes a great coach to consistently win in today's NFL. Tomlin's record speaks for itself.

Inner Dirt
12-24-2016, 12:56 PM
I hated the Steelers during the late 70's only because i was such a huge Oiler's fan. Bradshaw was average at best, but a great team leader. Chuck Noll was a great coach, and the Steeler's defense was the best the leagues ever had. That all said, what Bradshaw says doesn't move me much at all.. He's growing old now and his grass-roots judgement sometimes interfere with modern times. I suffer from that to some degree, as many do. :)

It is also rumored that the Steelers were one of the first teams to start the wide spread use of steroids in the late 60's early 70's.

tucker6
12-24-2016, 01:25 PM
As a Steelers fan since 72, my opinion is a little higher than Bradshaw's, but not by much. Tomlin is a good coach. Not a great one. He makes silly mistakes in every game, and can get outcoached several times a year. Until this year, the Steelers have had a propensity to lose to bad teams regularly. That's on coaching in the week leading up to the games more than players.

The test for Tomlin is when Ben retires. I have no doubt he will fail at the test given what he deems acceptable 2nd and 3rd string QB's.

horses4courses
12-24-2016, 02:11 PM
[QUOTE=JustRalph] with Len Swann et al making some great catch/QUOTE]

Ummm....you must mean Lynn Swann?

MutuelClerk
12-24-2016, 02:14 PM
From Len Dawson.

proximity
12-24-2016, 02:44 PM
As a Steelers fan since 72, my opinion is a little higher than Bradshaw's, but not by much. Tomlin is a good coach. Not a great one. He makes silly mistakes in every game, and can get outcoached several times a year. Until this year, the Steelers have had a propensity to lose to bad teams regularly. That's on coaching in the week leading up to the games more than players.

The test for Tomlin is when Ben retires. I have no doubt he will fail at the test given what he deems acceptable 2nd and 3rd string QB's.

this.

it didn't matter but the two point conversion at the end last week seemed strange to me?? i remember a horrible challenge in the patriots game too.

and if jones (?) goes in they have almost no chance. they should claim morris off the colts practice squad.

ldiatone
12-24-2016, 04:55 PM
Can't stand the Steelers. That being said Tomlin is one helluva coach.
:cool:

ldiatone
12-24-2016, 04:59 PM
"Stiiler" talk! I love it! and mayb that" turkey jones" slam did damage to bradshaws brain :rolleyes:

kingfin66
12-24-2016, 08:03 PM

Btw, I like to remind folks that every time you see a 70's era Steelers highlight with Len Swann et al making some great catch, Bradshaw was on the other end of it. He's one of the last old school GB's. He called 95% of his own plays too. At least that's what I have read. I liked him in the 70's and like him now

The guy is a hall of fame qb, but I am referring to his criticism of Tomlin. It is unwarranted imo. Okay, Tomlin has a bizarre fixation with two point conversions. Other than that he is solid.

Tom
12-24-2016, 09:49 PM

Lack of a serious brain is a often compensated for with a very strong arm. :D

PhantomOnTour
12-24-2016, 10:33 PM

Remember seeing a stat around week 6 or 7 that the Steelers are 5-11 in their last 16 games vs teams with a losing record :faint:

Tomlin is not a great X's and O's coach, but on the other hand, Bradshaw isn't exactly what folks would refer to as an X & O guy either, so what the hell does he know?
In his career he threw 212 TD's and 210 INT's...he is basically Calvin Borel...pretty good at what he did, but had a knack for hitting the big one (see Robert Horry).

My main criticism of Tomlin is that he the worst replay challenger in the NFL by a mile

menifee
12-25-2016, 02:49 AM
The guy is a hall of fame qb, but I am referring to his criticism of Tomlin. It is unwarranted imo. Okay, Tomlin has a bizarre fixation with two point conversions. Other than that he is solid.

Expected value in going for two is 1.08 points. Expected value in going for 1 is.948. Obviously, it depends on the score, but the math confirms his strategy.

Marshall Bennett
12-25-2016, 06:01 AM
He, like many QB's of his era, called his own plays and the Steeler's success was 2nd to none. Won't comment on his brain function now, but it was in working order then. :)

JustRalph
12-25-2016, 12:51 PM
He, like many QB's of his era, called his own plays and the Steeler's success was 2nd to none. Won't comment on his brain function now, but it was in working order then. :)

I wonder who would be successful calling their own plays today?

reckless
12-25-2016, 01:14 PM
I never understood why Bradshaw's intellect always seems to be questioned -- actually, I do.

It's how Bradshaw speaks ... if he spoke and sounded in the manner of an Oxford literature professor or had a speaking voice that sounded more like Gregory Peck's, he'd be considered a football genius and all these cheap shots might never happen.

But, Bradshaw's voice is that of a son of Louisiana -- and, sad to say for some, there is an inherent prejudice towards our brothers and cousins who were raised 'country'.

Inner Dirt
12-25-2016, 01:43 PM
Remember seeing a stat around week 6 or 7 that the Steelers are 5-11 in their last 16 games vs teams with a losing record :faint:

Tomlin is not a great X's and O's coach, but on the other hand, Bradshaw isn't exactly what folks would refer to as an X & O guy either, so what the hell does he know?
In his career he threw 212 TD's and 210 INT's...he is basically Calvin Borel...pretty good at what he did, but had a knack for hitting the big one (see Robert Horry).

My main criticism of Tomlin is that he the worst replay challenger in the NFL by a mile

Is that really on him? Isn't there usually a coach in the booth telling him if it is a good idea to challenge or not?

Marshall Bennett
12-25-2016, 06:02 PM
I wonder who would be successful calling their own plays today?
Steve Grogan back in the 80's may have been the last to call plays regularly in the huddle. I've heard Peyton Manning has occasionally, but more likely it's to change a play because of what he sees on defense. They use all the big bucks these days to pay others to do all that thinking for them, often sitting in some press box communicating with the coaches at field level.
I know Landry never would let his q-backs call their own plays with the Cowboys. It's why it was almost a joke seeing substitutions on nearly every play when they had the old helmets. Dan Pastorini was a genius calling his own game with Houston and Bum Phillips basically left him alone unless there were serious decisions to make.
Doubt there is any of them today able to call their own game without making too many mistakes and win any games. Q-backs simply aren't made that way anymore. They're extinct. :)

MutuelClerk
12-25-2016, 07:49 PM

Have you seen Jim Caldwell?

ldiatone
12-25-2016, 08:13 PM
another division title! GO STEELERS

burnsy
12-26-2016, 06:49 AM

Yeah, Big Ben has been throwing some real head shakers this year. Lets just say they were really "fortunate" to win yesterday.

He better start thinking about where he's throwing it or they won't be around long. They call the plays but the QB still has to hit the open guy and he's not reading that well at all. Too many "bad" picks this year. If he throws a couple of those during the playoffs.......bye, bye.

rastajenk
12-26-2016, 01:19 PM
Have you seen Jim Caldwell?My vote would go to Marvin Lewis. I wonder if they keep stats on challenge success or failure.

Dahoss2002
12-27-2016, 04:04 AM

now
Noll's comment on Bradshaw when asked "Would it be helpful to the team if Terry was on the sideline? Bradshaw was injured and didn't travel to the game. Noll replied, "If he can't throw the ball, he isnt any use to the team." I love Terry and he was a great QB and is entertaining in the booth, but I question his coaching abilities and his assessment of coaches as well.

barahona44
12-27-2016, 08:45 AM
My vote would go to Marvin Lewis. I wonder if they keep stats on challenge success or failure.
Rasta Man this is the best I could do.It looks like this goes through the 2014 season only.There's a link to pro football reference.Com but I couldn't find anything.Everything I put in their search function about coaching challenges came back 'No result", no matter how I worded it.
At least through 2014, Tomlin and Caldwell were both in the Top Ten among current coaches.
Don't let Jay Gruden or Bill O'Brien toss that flag, though.They were at the bottom.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nfl/comments/3ef4jp/a_statistical_breakdown_of_challenge_accuracy/