PDA

View Full Version : How about something new on this site ...

jk3521
12-22-2016, 10:46 AM
Something nice....and inspirational !
Be sure to listen to the full song.

http://www.itv.com/news/utv/2016-12-20/co-down-girls-hallelujah-heard-around-the-world/

PhantomOnTour
12-22-2016, 11:14 AM
She is fantastic...really put me in the holiday mood.

Like to wish all my fellow PA posters a Merry Christmas (it gets more and more important to me every year)

Like to take a moment to remember our pal Perry Tunks (aka Robert Goren), a long time member here whom we lost this year.
Also want to wish our friend Raybo all the best this season. Haven't heard from you in awhile, I think of you often when I'm on this site, and I pray you are fighting and winning ! We miss you, sure would be nice to hear from you brother.

Curtis On The Bay - haven't heard from you lately...hope all is well in Baltimore, and I have a feeling I'll hear from you if the Ravens beat the Steelers this weekend :ThmbUp:

Happy Holidays y'all...be near your loved ones and let them know what they mean to you.

TJDave
12-22-2016, 03:01 PM
Interesting lyrics. Who wrote them?

boxcar
12-22-2016, 04:00 PM
Something nice....and inspirational !
Be sure to listen to the full song.

http://www.itv.com/news/utv/2016-12-20/co-down-girls-hallelujah-heard-around-the-world/

Awesome! This little kid has the voice of an angel. Thanks for posting this.

hcap
12-22-2016, 06:30 PM
Interesting lyrics. Who wrote them?
Hallelujah......
Leonard Cohen

http://genius.com/Leonard-cohen-hallelujah-lyrics

TJDave
12-22-2016, 08:11 PM
Hallelujah......
Leonard Cohen

Not those lyrics. :rolleyes:

GaryG
12-22-2016, 08:23 PM
POT....that is a wonderful post and I second that emotion. Merry Christmas to all from the Tennessee hills.

jk3521
12-22-2016, 10:26 PM
Not those lyrics. :rolleyes:

There is also an Easter version if this song.Neither are lyrics by Cohen.

PhantomOnTour
12-22-2016, 11:16 PM
POT....that is a wonderful post and I second that emotion. Merry Christmas to all from the Tennessee hills.
Right on Gary...have a great holiday weekend :ThmbUp:

hcap
12-23-2016, 02:35 AM
Not those lyrics. :rolleyes:That's why I linked to the original. The song, (melody) was written by Cohen who passed away recently.

TJDave
12-23-2016, 05:55 AM
That's why I linked to the original. The song, (melody) was written by Cohen who passed away recently.

Cohen wrote the melody and lyrics. These alternate lyrics totally distort the original meaning.

hcap
12-23-2016, 06:34 AM
Cohen wrote the melody and lyrics. These alternate lyrics totally distort the original meaning.Cohen was a Jewish Zen Buddhist. I knew his roshi, Kyozan Joshu Sasaki he studied with at the Mt. Baldy Zen Center in LA before he died at close to age of 100.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Baldy_Zen_Center

There is something about the haunting melody and the use of "Hallelujah" that supports popular Judeo-Christian religious feelings no matter the original often misunderstood lyrics. However knowing something about Cohen's background helps to know what he might have meant originally.

I think...."The baffled king composing Hallelujah" should be a clue. Zen is suspicious of overly intellectual attempt's to understand what we call the "divine" Music can be more direct as Cohen writes David played.

TJDave
12-23-2016, 02:07 PM
I think...."The baffled king composing Hallelujah" should be a clue. Zen is suspicious of overly intellectual attempt's to understand what we call the "divine" Music can be more direct as Cohen writes David played.

Did you listen to the lyrics this girl was singing?

I heard about this baby boy
Who comes to earth to bring us joy
And I just want to sing of this song to you
It goes like this
The fourth, the fifth
The minor fall, the major lift
With every breath I’m singing, “Hallelujah”

Hallelujah, Hallelujah
Hallelujah, Hallelujah

A couple came to Bethlehem
Expecting child, they searched the inn
To find a place for you were coming soon
There was no room for them to stay
So in a manger filled with hay
God’s only son was born, oh Hallelujah

hcap
12-24-2016, 03:19 AM
Did you listen to the lyrics this girl was singing?

I heard about this baby boy
Who comes to earth to bring us joy
And I just want to sing of this song to you
It goes like this
The fourth, the fifth
The minor fall, the major lift
With every breath I’m singing, “Hallelujah”

Hallelujah, Hallelujah
Hallelujah, Hallelujah

A couple came to Bethlehem
Expecting child, they searched the inn
To find a place for you were coming soon
There was no room for them to stay
So in a manger filled with hay
God’s only son was born, oh HallelujahLyrics written by the Cloverton's, a contemporary Christian music and worship band from Manhattan, Kansas. And as mentioned earlier there is another set of lyrics written by another Christian women for Easter..Cohen's melody is strong enough to inspire these writers but they will never get the original. People understand these things based on the "framing" they are exposed to.
Of course the girl's voice is wonderful and after all it is Christmas.

Better than reading a Trump tweeet but it is not Leonard Cohen. :lol:

hcap
12-24-2016, 03:44 AM
Cohen's powerful tune works fort all. How Christian is a gay performer :cool:

/P_NpxTWbovE

PaceAdvantage
12-24-2016, 02:48 PM
How Christian is a gay performer :cool:What exactly are you saying with this line?

hcap
12-25-2016, 02:03 AM
To quote the lyrics sung by the Christian version NOT Cohen's, which was not centered around one version of "god".

"So in a manger filled with hay
God’s only son was born, oh Hallelujah"

The popular Christian religion as it developed became an exclusive club. Even hating and persecuting the people and religion it sprouted from.
So although the arrangement sung by the 10 year old girl is appropriate and uplifting it destroys Cohen's song and unfortunately reflects that exclusiveness that others of different religions, especially Judaism find objectionable.

Popular interpretations of religion tend to be restrictive and tribal. Insisting there can be only their way. We had a Supreme Court decision about this.

JustRalph
12-25-2016, 12:49 PM
To quote the lyrics sung by the Christian version NOT Cohen's, which was not centered around one version of "god".

"So in a manger filled with hay
God’s only son was born, oh Hallelujah"

The popular Christian religion as it developed became an exclusive club. Even hating and persecuting the people and religion it sprouted from.
So although the arrangement sung by the 10 year old girl is appropriate and uplifting it destroys Cohen's song and unfortunately reflects that exclusiveness that others of different religions, especially Judaism find objectionable.

Popular interpretations of religion tend to be restrictive and tribal. Insisting there can be only their way. We had a Supreme Court decision about this.

Oh boy! Uncle HCAP! Now do Jingle Bell Rock!