PDA

View Full Version : Slowww sites

FantasticDan
12-20-2016, 01:26 PM
My main computer is an older laptop, still rockin' Vista :blush: :D . But it's got zero bloat on it and been a rock solid machine for all :8: years I've had it..

But now every site I go to (news, weather, entertainment, etc) feels the need to have videos automatically start playing as my browser (Firefox) tries to open the site. These aren't ad or malware issues, this is actual content on the sites..

Sites that should load in just a second or two now often take forever, bogging down my browser controls. Sometimes I just have to close it up and forget it.

Internet speed is not the problem. Sure, my processor isn't the fastest, but I'm not trying to play the latest video games here..

Anyone else seeing these issues, especially over the past year?

boxcar
12-20-2016, 01:31 PM
My main computer is an older laptop, still rockin' Vista :blush: :D . But it's got zero bloat on it and been a rock solid machine for all :8: years I've had it..

But now every site I go to (news, weather, entertainment, etc) feels the need to have videos automatically start playing as my browser (Firefox) tries to open the site. These aren't ad or malware issues, this is actual content on the sites..

Sites that should load in just a second or two now often take forever, bogging down my browser controls. Sometimes I just have to close it up and forget it.

Internet speed is not the problem. Sure, my processor isn't the fastest, but I'm not trying to play the latest video games here..

Anyone else seeing these issues, especially over the past year?

Yes, I certainly have. I think many sites have figured out workarounds for NoScript that heretofore would block out ads, etc. You might try the AdBlock add-on for FF in addition to NoScript.

FantasticDan
12-20-2016, 01:35 PM
Yes, I certainly have. I think many sites have figured out workarounds for NoScript that heretofore would block out ads, etc. You might try the AdBlock add-on for FF in addition to NoScript.Oh yeah, I've used AdBlock Plus for FF for years, it's a must. :ThmbUp:

boxcar
12-20-2016, 01:37 PM
Oh yeah, I've used AdBlock Plus for FF for years, it's a must. :ThmbUp:

But apparently, it's not doing its job if your connect times are so slow. My wife uses it and NoScript, but I don't. I just use NoScript.

FantasticDan
12-20-2016, 01:48 PM
It's job is to block ads, which it does really well. The problem is that sites are loading their pages with heavy video content..

Delta Cone
12-20-2016, 02:02 PM
I've had more and more problems of late using Firefox. I was about to scrap my PC (it is quite old) but decided to switch to Chrome to see if anything improved. Things are much better now, pages load faster, etc.

I suggest you give Chrome a try.

RunForTheRoses
12-20-2016, 02:03 PM
I use Firefox as my main browser and have had similar experiences the past few months. It will get glacially slow and will often need to be rebooted. I'm up to date with the latest version of FF, don't know what it is, and I have winbloze 10 and a fast processor and decent ram.

May switch to another browser, I have IE and Edge as well but all bookmarks are with FG

chadk66
12-20-2016, 02:04 PM
it's been horrible for the past few months. the sites are so heavy with advertising it's slowed them to a crawl.

FantasticDan
12-20-2016, 02:07 PM
I've had more and more problems of late using Firefox. I was about to scrap my PC (it is quite old) but decided to switch to Chrome to see if anything improved. Things are much better now, pages load faster, etc.
I suggest you give Chrome a try.Chrome stopped supporting Vista about a year ago. But I do have it, tried it a few weeks ago with no real difference. Firefox will stop supporting Vista in 2017.

FantasticDan
12-20-2016, 02:08 PM
Btw just realized I should've put this in the Computer forum, so feel free to move..

Tom
12-20-2016, 03:05 PM
Everything seems to be slow theses days.

Nothing bugs more more than stupid sites that automatically start videos.
IMHO, that is the worst insult you can give someone.

Any site like that is off my list of ever visiting again.

The internet has taken over from TV as being that vast, worthless wasteland.

Robert Fischer
12-20-2016, 03:18 PM
i've got an old clunker as well.

reluctantly downloaded Chrome (mainly for NYRA HD replays)

still use Firefox for most of my favorite sites, but Chrome is faster for the intensive sites. Better use of resources.

I have adblock on firefox, but not on chrome

Inner Dirt
12-20-2016, 03:37 PM
There is a free video blocker I had that used to work great it would just load them as a still picture or a blank rectangle. You could still run them if you wanted by clicking on them. I lost it when I had a computer crash and it wasn't backed up. I don't remember it's name and someone on a Redskin fan forum told me about it in a thread, maybe I can find it. I have issues with videos because of the signal latency of satellite internet and capped monthly data usage.

DeltaLover
12-20-2016, 03:37 PM
My main computer is an older laptop, still rockin' Vista :blush: :D

Vista? Hmm, you are probably the definition of a laggard (http://www.ondigitalmarketing.com/learn/odm/foundations/5-customer-segments-technology-adoption/) :bang:

In less than two weeks we are entering 2017!

Tom
12-20-2016, 03:41 PM
2017, with my XP machine. :lol:

If it ain't broke, why replace it?
I have a new W10 machine I am procrastinating setting up, but when I do, it will ONLY be for using the internet.

All my real work will be done on one of 3 XP machines.

boxcar
12-20-2016, 03:49 PM
2017, with my XP machine. :lol:

If it ain't broke, why replace it?
I have a new W10 machine I am procrastinating setting up, but when I do, it will ONLY be for using the internet.

All my real work will be done on one of 3 XP machines.

Exactly! :ThmbUp: And I'm still jealous of you and kicking myself for not sticking with XP.

JustRalph
12-20-2016, 04:03 PM
Start your system in safe mode with network support

Do nothing but open a browser, load a page that is consistently the same and you're familiar with. See how it performs. If it loads fast.......software or something loading is slowing you down

johnhannibalsmith
12-20-2016, 04:58 PM

Nothing bugs more more than stupid sites that automatically start videos.
IMHO, that is the worst insult you can give someone.

Any site like that is off my list of ever visiting again.

No shit.

With one exception.

CBS Sports pages were the absolute worst of all-time. They auto-loaded videos showing some dumb-ass long highlight show that wasn't even related to the story. Every time. Finally started using ad-blocker and went back one day. The video got pissed that I had ad-blocker and really gave me the business about what a catastrophe it was that I would no longer get to see the damn video. So now I go daily just for a laugh when I need a pick me up.

michiken
12-20-2016, 06:31 PM
Try uninstalling adblock plus and install UBlock Origin (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/ublock-origin/?src=search) instead.

This add-on uses less memory.

Also go to Tools/Add Ons/Plugins and set Flash to prompt you to activate it.

These sites are now using HTML5 videos instead of flash. You can search for an add on to block HTML5 while you are on the mozilla site.

Ken

senortout
12-21-2016, 12:27 AM
atop the firefox browser...right click on 'tools' and in that menu, left click on
'clear cache' I think that will help some of you here.

Agree that too many 'busy doing nothing' things happen on all the big web sites these days. Maybe they are all in cahoots with the internet providers, like AT&T, etc...they charge you for monthly data overuse....ha...the att web page that loads is full of data eating video..so when you go there...same thing. They're in the business of selling data and don't care how you overuse it. You use it incidentally in loading their elaborate web pages. Granted there are other things that really, really eat up data limits much faster than loading web pages.

Try streaming at home in other words try being a cord-cutter and streaming all your tv. It would work fine if there were no data limits but................

Red Knave
12-21-2016, 01:17 PM
Also go to Tools/Add Ons/Plugins and set Flash to prompt you to activate it.
This :ThmbUp:

There's also an add-on that keeps animated gifs from running automatically. I know sometimes they're funny but mostly they're annoying.

tupper
12-21-2016, 03:10 PM
In addition to what others have suggested, you might want to try the NoScript plug-in/extension (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/noscript/) if you are using Firefox. By default, NoScript will prevent all javascript from running, so you decide which scripts run on your machine.

Once installed, you'll see (and disable) all the superfluous tracking scripts the have been slowing down your machine.

The Chrome/Chromium counterpart to NoScript might be Umatrix (https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/umatrix/ogfcmafjalglgifnmanfmnieipoejdcf).

Robert Fischer
12-21-2016, 05:57 PM
free program called 'firemin'

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/firemin.html

(once downloaded)you have to manually search for it and then click it to run the program, each time you choose to use it, but it closes 'memory leaks'

at the moment firefox was using 424,000k before i ran firemin
now FF =17,000k (+600kfiremin)

helps if firefox and the resources are slowing down the machine. good for the CPU if you are taxing it via firefox
did not help with the HD video stuff (got chrome for that)

Parkview_Pirate
12-22-2016, 11:06 AM
I've got a newer PC with big time hardware, running Linux and an ISP providing 125 MBPS download speed.

One thing I've noticed in the last month or so is that it's taking a long time to initially connect to some sites. If I was more paranoid, I'd think it's because somebody is tracking my surfing.

But then I remembered it was only a month or two ago that Obummer and the U.S. handed over control of DNS to an international party, ICANN. The slow response may be due looking up an uncached site IP. I wonder if those guys are moving resources around to slower servers or ones that are overseas?

Things that make you go hmmmm.....

Marshall Bennett
12-22-2016, 12:07 PM
I question the future of the internet. Will it become so trashed, will it even be accessible? Without a new concept more fail-safe, how long will it last?

barn32
12-22-2016, 01:14 PM
Ditto on uBlock Origin (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/ublock-origin/)

You might also want to try:

FlashStopper (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/flashstopper/)

DeltaLover
12-22-2016, 01:20 PM
I question the future of the internet. Will it become so trashed, will it even be accessible? Without a new concept more fail-safe, how long will it last?

http://www.idt.mdh.se/kurser/ct3340/ht09/ADMINISTRATION/IRCSE09-submissions/ircse09_submission_24.pdf

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=what+is+the+future+of+tcp+ip+

JustRalph
12-22-2016, 02:31 PM

These ads and the videos you "have to" watch to read a story or see another vid are driving me nuts.

tupper
12-22-2016, 03:10 PM
I've got a newer PC with big time hardware, running Linux and an ISP providing 125 MBPS download speed.

One thing I've noticed in the last month or so is that it's taking a long time to initially connect to some sites.New rig will have fresh software settings, so you might notice a difference.

Might want to try another DNS server (independent from your ISP). I currently use OpenDNS.

Also, the crazy javascript clusterf**k on most sites is probably the biggest resource hog when browsing. Again, the popular NoScript or uMatrix browser plug-ins can speed things up considerably.

If I was more paranoid, I'd think it's because somebody is tracking my surfing. But then I remembered it was only a month or two ago that Obummer and the U.S. handed over control of DNS to an international party, ICANN. The slow response may be due looking up an uncached site IP. I wonder if those guys are moving resources around to slower servers or ones that are overseas?

Things that make you go hmmmm.....Well, if the slowdown isn't from your DNS server nor from the huge thicket of javascript on most sites, then the problem likely stems from all of the Chinese Muslims with forged birth certificates infiltrating the U.S. through the Mexican border, who are trying to skim our Yonkers picks.

tupper
12-22-2016, 03:12 PM
These ads and the videos you "have to" watch to read a story or see another vid are driving me nuts.Adblock Plus and NoScript/uMatrix should eliminate those problems.

Marshall Bennett
12-22-2016, 05:37 PM
AdBlock was best thing I ever installed on pc. I have the free version too. The best part is watching youtube hassle free as much as i want. What pisses me off are these sports sites takes forever to load because of some useless video trying to load first. Some news outlets do the same.

JustRalph
12-22-2016, 09:41 PM
Adblock Plus and NoScript/uMatrix should eliminate those problems.

Thanks👍

Parkview_Pirate
12-23-2016, 01:05 AM
New rig will have fresh software settings, so you might notice a difference.

Might want to try another DNS server (independent from your ISP). I currently use OpenDNS.

Also, the crazy javascript clusterf**k on most sites is probably the biggest resource hog when browsing. Again, the popular NoScript or uMatrix browser plug-ins can speed things up considerably.

I've been running the new system for about 10 months now with no problems until just the last month or two. I use adblock, flashcontrol and a couple of other extensions to help speed things up, and since the slowdown is "connecting", it's prior to any script or site issues.

That is a good idea to try OpenDNS, which I've used before. It could very well be Comcast is mucking things up - though I can't reproduce the problem at the moment. I'll give that a whirl the next time the connect issue crops up.

Well, if the slowdown isn't from your DNS server nor from the huge thicket of javascript on most sites, then the problem likely stems from all of the Chinese Muslims with forged birth certificates infiltrating the U.S. through the Mexican border, who are trying to skim our Yonkers picks.

:D Could be. If they're skimming my Yonkers picks, they're outta luck, since I rarely play the jugheads. But maybe they could skim my loser Aqu, Tampa or SA selections and play those at Yonkers - they can't do any worse...

JustRalph
12-23-2016, 01:13 AM
Dan, anything work?

FantasticDan
12-23-2016, 02:30 PM
Dan, anything work?I switched over from ABP to UBlock Origin, and that sped things up a little bit. Marginal, at best. Also tried the NoScript suite add-on, and that was interesting.. seeing everything that was trying to run and granting permissions. No question that would be helpful in filtering crap. But I've disabled it for now until I have more time to play with it..

I appreciate all the pointers and input! :ThmbUp:

Marshall Bennett
12-23-2016, 05:59 PM
Hard to not stress how much good CCleaner can be as well. The free version is ample. Check and clean out whatever trash is there you don't need. Do same with start-up. Has several tools, such as cleaning registry also. I go thru and check mine almost daily, it updates frequently and takes only seconds. CCleaner that is.