PDA

View Full Version : CD-R vs. CD-RW for burning MP3s

andicap
07-21-2004, 10:11 PM
I know the difference between the two formats.
My question is, does it matter where you put music? Should you use one format for burning music if I don't care about using that CD again, why can't I use a CD-R for music (they're much cheaper).

The reason I ask is that the CD-RWs I have say they are "music" discs on the cover, but the CD-Rs do not.

:confused:

Pace Cap'n
07-21-2004, 10:15 PM
I have burned to both and my ear cannot tell the difference.

Now all I burn to is CD-R.

andicap
07-21-2004, 11:07 PM
thanks!

Hosshead
07-21-2004, 11:41 PM
I got a newsletter from Roxio saying that there was NO difference between blank "Music" cd-r's and blank normal "Data" cd-r's. But they did say to stick with the 700mb/80min type. I think "Music" cd-r's is just a marketing thing.

BillW
07-21-2004, 11:50 PM
Andi,

In any case, don't be afraid to try the -R. The worst that could happen is that you destroy a CD blank.

Bill

andicap
07-22-2004, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by Hosshead
I got a newsletter from Roxio saying that there was NO difference between blank "Music" cd-r's and blank normal "Data" cd-r's. But they did say to stick with the 700mb/80min type. I think "Music" cd-r's is just a marketing thing.

Did they give any reason other than more time/storage?

BTW I just discoveed Live 365 -- all those Internet radio stations!! Wow! Who needs Sirius?

GameTheory
07-22-2004, 12:25 PM
I've actually read that some music cd players have trouble with the RW's, so best to stick with R for music. I have an old CD player that has trouble with anything I burn, but most newer players work fine...

Mike at A+
07-22-2004, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by Hosshead

Wow if that's true a friend of mine is really getting ripped off. He has a CD recorder (not a computer drive - a regular recorder/player that hooks up to his stereo) and he uses the "music CD-R's" that cost close to a buck apiece. I've always used the data CD-R's and the only drawback is that they might not play in an older CD player (like 10 years old). But they play fine in my car changer, my home stereo and my boom box. With over 9,000 songs on my hard drive, I'll stick to the cheap ones thank you.

GameTheory
07-22-2004, 02:56 PM
That's true -- there is no difference. It is just marketing, plus people are stupid are probably wouldn't know what to buy if they didn't plaster MUSIC all over them...

Dave Schwartz
07-22-2004, 03:11 PM
Andi,

What is "Live 365?"

Dave

andicap
07-22-2004, 03:50 PM
Yeah, they don't play in my CD player too, but they do in my DVD player so I can just run that through my stereo.

Live365 (www.live365.com natch) brings you thousands of radio stations that are programmed for the Internet. Some are commercial or public stations that get more exposure through Live 365, but most are just people who have fun playing DJ and spinning discs as it were.

There is a format for every taste and lots of stations within each format. It's free but you can upgrade to an ad-free service with better quality and more choices for $3.65-$4 a month.

But even on the freebie you can program your stations so when you return and log in it has your pre-sets. Unlike regular radio stations it tells you what you're listening to now and what's coming up. You can also see what's on your other stations now.

Tom
07-22-2004, 10:59 PM
Andy....COOL!
Found a great Blues station and a new band that is just my cup of blues.
Thanks

Hosshead
07-22-2004, 11:15 PM
Have enjoyed Live 365 for a long time, as it has just about every kind of music you might want. Just make sure you don't accidentally delete their cookie, or you'll have to set it up again.

Tom
07-22-2004, 11:21 PM
OK, my Visa is smoking from ordering all those great CDs.
What a site.

Dave Schwartz
07-22-2004, 11:24 PM
Andicap,

Will give it a try, thanks.

I am a bit of a music-holic when it comes to oldies. Used to listen to internet radio all the time before the got taken down by the big boys.

Dave

Dave Schwartz
07-22-2004, 11:36 PM
Wow! WHat a great bunch of stations!

Thanks, Andy.

Dave

andicap
07-23-2004, 11:11 AM
Yep,
right now I'm listening to Popa Chubby on radio catorweb from Milan, Italy. Got about 10 presets now with all kind of great stuff. There's one I can't wait to check out -- WBTS from a Civil War buff (War Between the States) from Oslo.

Mike at A+
07-23-2004, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by Dave Schwartz
Andicap,Will give it a try, thanks.I am a bit of a music-holic when it comes to oldies. Used to listen to internet radio all the time before the got taken down by the big boys.Dave

Ah yes oldies. One night about 6 months ago I was on Kazaa and found someone who had everything under the sun and a fast connection to boot. I selected about 400 oldies and went to sleep. When I woke up the next morning, they all came in great and I burned a load of awesome CD's.

Dave Schwartz
07-23-2004, 12:43 PM
Mike,

When we were getting ready to move into our new home about 3 years ago, we decided to build a music server. We ripped about 850 CDs we had.

(Just to give you an idea of the magnitude of that many CDs, the MP3s produce span 35 CDs!)

The music server idea works great. We have connected every stereo in the house to it (via the closest computer), so everyone has "music on demand.

The next step will be video... building our own "TIVO." <G>

It was actually quite inexpensive. (A 600mhz Linux box I paid under $100 for, a 60gb hard drive and some wiring. Nowadays one might do it with a wireless connection and make it even easier.)

Dave

Mike at A+
07-23-2004, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by Dave Schwartz
Mike,

When we were getting ready to move into our new home about 3 years ago, we decided to build a music server. We ripped about 850 CDs we had.

(Just to give you an idea of the magnitude of that many CDs, the MP3s produce span 35 CDs!)<snip>Dave

Dave, if you're that much of a music buff, I recommend you check out www.xitel.com and see a product that they call the "INport". I bought one for $64 including shipping. It allows you to hook up a turntable to your computer via USB and rip records to MP3 files. I have about 1,000 vinyl albums and I am burning lots of CD's from out of print albums that never came out on CD (or are difficult to get). It comes with 30 feet of heavy duty component plugs and the sound quality is nothing short of amazing. Of course if you have scratchy records you'll hear them that way. And the included software is very easy to use too.

Dave Schwartz
07-24-2004, 05:24 PM
Mike,

Actaully, I divested myself of all my vinyl years ago. Even gave away the turn table.

My application computer has an Audigy system that takes just about anything, including VHS and audio tape. What I can't do with it is go OUT to VHS or tape.

Dave