PDA

View Full Version : Pylon Insanity

Jess Hawsen Arown
12-17-2016, 09:40 AM
We saw clear examples why gamblers are leaving harness racing in droves at the Meadowlands last night.

In the first race, Pedro's Dream went inside the last pylon of the turn -- saved ground by doing so off the track -- and was not dq'd because the "judges" did not deem it gaining an unfair advantage because the driver did not use the ground saving maneuver to pass the horse in front of him. Give the M1 judges their props for being consistent with the unfair ruling (i.e., ignoring the ground saved) as those who have watched their races before knew the horse would not be dq'd.

At other harness tracks, that horse would have been disqualified in a heartbeat -- highlighting the inconsistency of the game.

Later on, they ignored the unfair advantage rule because of a technicality. In the 8th race, Somesizesomestyle used leaving the course in the stretch to his advantage and won by a nose. Why wasn't there an inquiry? Those familiar with the judges knew there would not be an inquiry. Why? Because he left the course BETWEEN pylons. If the three blind mice do not see a pylon's personal space infringed upon, they have no idea that the horse left the course. I would guess that driver Bret Miller did it on purpose because as a regular, he knew it would go unnoticed.

For you replay watchers, the head on is not available for further review. You only see it immediately after the live race.

Teach
12-17-2016, 10:22 AM
In the first race, a trot, at Monticello Raceway this past Thursday, December 15, driver Mike Miller used the passing lane to win - or at least I thought. Miller was driving an 18-1 long-shot, a mare named A Taste of Justice. After the race, the stewards immediately put the inquiry sign. The replay showed that A Taste of Justice's sulky wheels were just outside the pylons. The mare had won by a nose. Although I did not have a betting interest, I thought the judges made a good decision by taking her down and placing her second to a mare she had nosed out, #2 Run Around Sue S.

titans1127
12-18-2016, 12:08 AM
In the first race, a trot, at Monticello Raceway this past Thursday, December 15, driver Mike Miller used the passing lane to win - or at least I thought. Miller was driving an 18-1 long-shot, a mare named A Taste of Justice. After the race, the stewards immediately put the inquiry sign. The replay showed that A Taste of Justice's sulky wheels were just outside the pylons. The mare had won by a nose. Although I did not have a betting interest, I thought the judges made a good decision by taking her down and placing her second to a mare she had nosed out, #2 Run Around Sue S.Same thing happened 2 races later. Horse was on the lead, went inside 3 pylons at the top of the stretch finished 2nd and was placed 3rd. It was so obvious I knew right away after the DQ in the first(didn't catch the infraction live).