PDA

View Full Version : Del Mar Wednesday July 21

rrbauer
07-21-2004, 04:48 PM
Got a late start today.....I'll add to this as the day goes:

R1
Have to like the fav ALBATROS; he's worked well on this dirt and lays over this field. DR. HILL had worked well on the dirt here two years ago and ran a decent 2nd when Avila had him. TRICKY TRAVIS drops back to his proper level.

R2
KINSHIP sheds the hood and draws the rail. He has the best early speed here and has worked well since raced. STOVE PIPE comes in fresh, adds the hood and has a good work over this surface (very important factor early in meet). VILLAGE KNIGHT burned a lot of money when favored against this level in debut. This track is not kind to outside draws who can't get over by the turn.

rrbauer
07-21-2004, 05:01 PM
R3

HIGHLY TEMPTING ran big here last year and has a work over track and he's been rested for this. Have to root for EYES LIKE FIRE after learning that Dan Hendricks may not walk again as a result of motorcycle accident earlier this month.

rrbauer
07-21-2004, 05:32 PM
R4

If you saw the way PAZ CIUDADANA took over in the stretch in her US debut, you have to like her a bunch with these. I'll use KIRTLE and ARDUM RELAUNCH as the other ones.

R5
Word in the morning is that TERRITORIAL is a hand full once he gets rolling. His problem is getting rolling! Lots of questions in here and I don't have the answers.

R6
Another with lots of questions. I'll take a stab with LAST MINUTE DETAIL who continues to work well, has the right style for the turf and gets a good turf jock.

rrbauer
07-21-2004, 06:11 PM
R7

Watch out here. BRAHMA BULL is inviting and might just be best....But! NOSE TO IT lost all chance at the break in comeback race and he is fast; MI PINGO could be any kind for Severinsen although he usually works his stock fast; DAMAR WAYNE has the last two races spaced nicely, draws well and will be forwardly placed. Finally, DARK COMMAND, was bouncing around for about a year for Matlow before that first start, so there is some talent here as well as some physical problems.

R8

LUCKY PULPIT could move up here, but TERROPLANE and BLACKDOUN look to be the quality turfers. AUSTIN BARBER comes in from Calder where he showed speed. Speed on this course early in the meet usually gets run down.

rrbauer
07-21-2004, 06:54 PM
R9

HE DOES draws outside what looks to be the other speed and Mr. Tufts makes him 8/5. Craig Lewis doesn't win with firsters that often, but LEGENDINHISOWNMIND has a nice 7f drill and gets Kent for his first chance. 10-1 caught my eye. Then we have
WILL, DARE TO DRIP and FINANCIAL all of which could improve and do some damage here.

rrbauer
07-21-2004, 07:25 PM
In R6 you saw Victor try what he tries every year (I call the condition "Victor-wide") and just like in years past, it doesn't work. You can't rally wide beyond the 3-path in sprints on this dirt course because you take the worst of it and your horse will not get up. The fact that TERRITORIAL was close speaks to his ability.

kingfin66
07-21-2004, 09:25 PM
And let me guess, Espinoza was beating the living daylights out of the horse in the stretch run. That guy whales on his mounts.

CapperLou
07-21-2004, 11:02 PM
This one has gone into my alert file. Like you said--a good ride and wins the race.

I'll take 2-1 or better on him next time out.

I got a break with Village Knight in the 2nd. Would not play kinship due to odds so went to this one due to the money played on him in debut. Got an excellent ride too!!!

Also played Lucky Pulpit and this one is in good form and should win against softer---beaten by a "buzzsaw" today!!

All the best,

CapperLou