PDA

View Full Version : Aqueduct: Sunday, December 11

Teach
12-11-2016, 10:50 AM
Race One:

:6: Altesino, the Jim Bond-trained chestnut gelding, had an excuse in his last. He “lost” his girth holder (DRF). Did that cause the gelding to lose, or was it simply a case of “running out of gas,” or a combination of the two. In any event, this 3 year-old was leading at the top of the stretch, yet he faded and wound up finishing third. If we can assume that all his saddling equipment is working properly, this Posse-bred chestnut gelding can surely make amends. One caveat: Don’t expect much! Even-money would be a gift. This gelding has been away from the races for about a month and a-half. However, his most recent morning work – a “bulleted” 4-panels in :48 flat, handily, is impressive. Jose Ortiz, one of the best, not only on the NYRA circuit but nationally, is in the irons. Look for this Silver Deputy-bred to be out and going when the gates release. Others: :3: , :1:

Race Two:

:1: Milaya has a distinct class edge on the rest of this field. This Giant’s Causeway-bred filly has competed against much stiffer competition. Although this 4 year-old has met with little success against graded and non-graded stakes-types, this particular field shouldn’t pose any major problems; this filly literally stands out like a sore thumb. It should be noted that the filly’s trainer, Mike Dilger – he does very well in most racing categories – has yet to saddle a winner at this “Big A” meet. Yet his charges have hit the tote with regularity, albeit with a limited number of entries. Admittedly, this filly is turning back and shortening up; I don’t believe that should pose a problem. Oh, this distaffer has been away from the races for nearly three months; yet, a recent morning work was decent. Jose Ortiz has the call. Others: :2: , :5:

Race Three:

:6: Daisy Cutter, a 4 year-old filly, should be coming along strongest in the stretch in this one mile and a ‘teenth allowance route. My only concern, and it’s a gnawing one, is that the Aqueduct Inner will be an inside-biased speed-favoring track. If so, be careful. Pay close attention as to how the first two races were run. If all things are equal, this filly can prevail. If not, look for an early-speed types to back up this selection. The most capable Linda Rice is this filly’s conditioner. Linda’s having an excellent Aqueduct meet. She does particularly well with horses that were beaten favorites. Jose Ortiz (where have we heard that name before?) will have his feet in the stirrups. Others: :2: . :4:

Race Four:

:4: My Girl Annie ran a solid 6-panels race in her pari-mutuel “coming-out party”. This 2 year-old filly now stretches out a couple furlongs. I don’t believe that should pose a problem. Her pedigree indicates that she should get the distance. In fact, I wouldn’t be surprised if Manny Franco has this Yes It’s True-bred out and going when the gates open. As cited in the DRF, this distaffer finished with “good energy” in her only start. The pride of Mechanicsville, NY, Chad Brown, is having a sold Aqueduct meet. Brown does very well in most racing categories. To add to this filly’s lustre, she recently “bulleted” four panels in :48-flat, breezing. Others: :1: , :3:

Race Five:

:4: Banner Bill (as a young horse, he raced in the Grade II Saratoga Special) is dropping to a level that I doubt this 7 year-old gelding has ever raced in during his lifetime. At this level, in this company, at this distance… There’s a lot to like. This Rockport Harbor-bred did throw in a clunker in his last against much better at Laurel. In that one, this gelding led in the early stages, yet he faded markedly in the later stages; he ended up finishing about a city-block behind the eventual winner. But today, today is another day. Manny Franco may very well have this Unbridled’s Song-bred contesting for the early lead, or at the very least, be in a good stalking position. This gelding’s trainer, Rudy Rodriguez, is having a solid “Big A” meet. Others: :3: , :1:

Race Six:

In this 25k claiming route, I’m giving my nod to the :3: Abounding Spirit. This Read the Footnotes-bred (a little moisture wouldn’t hurt) ships in from Finger Lakes where she won two-straight, three out of four. Yet, the question remains: Can this filly carry her form to downstate Aqueduct? Sometimes, it’s a big jump. Like going from Triple-A Scranton-Wilkes-Barre to East 161st Street, the Bronx. Yet it has been accomplished recently, and for that matter I wouldn’t be surprised if it didn’t happen, again. This filly should be stalking, or even possibly perambulating on the front end. Charley Baker – he does well with winners of their last race – conditions this Smoke Glacken-bred 4 year-old chestnut. Others: :2: , :4:

Race Seven:

In the 100k non-graded Bay Ridge for New York State-breds, I’m casting my lot with a morning-line medium longshot, :3: Isabelle. This 5 year-old Valid Appeal-bred bay mare would benefit from a bit of thawing as today’s card reaches its later stages. Even so, I believe this mare; she most certainly will be on or near the lead. I believe that will be the place to be. The be question will be: Can “The Louisiana Kid,” Kendrick Carmouche, ration out this mare’s speed so that she has enough stamina to be the first to cross the finish line. Admittedly, this mare hasn’t won in many moons and, I might add, that win came at six panels. Yet, I believe that this heretofore speed-favoring track will work to her benefit. The Hall-of-Famer, Bill Mott, trains this daughter of Successful Appeal. Mott does very well with horses entered in graded stakes company. Others: :1: , :5:

Race Eight:

In the finale, a maiden-claiming sprint, I’m going with a morning-line longshot, :6: Hostilebutawesome. Admittedly, this 2 year-old filly has shown “plenty of nuthin’” in his previous two starts. I mean nada, nihil, cero, epes… Yet, I believe there were excuses, especially in this filly’s last race in which she was bumped at the start and “folded” (DRF) like a cheap suit (Teach). But hark, this Yes It’s True-bred gets aq better post and a new jockey, Manny Franco. Voila! If this filly can avoid early trouble, she, as Marlon Brando said in “On The Waterfront,” becomes “a contendah”. A player. A lot will depend on a clean start. But at a presumed price, “Who could ask for anything more?” Bob Falcone, Jr. is this filly’s conditioner; he’s done well with a limited number of entrants. Others: :7: , :2: