PDA

View Full Version : Army/Navy Game Venue

Ocala Mike
12-10-2016, 01:47 PM
Where have I been? I see this game is being played in Baltimore - didn't it used to be played in Philadelphia for like forever? When did they move it and why?

Anyway, I hope Army breaks their losing streak.

Rise Over Run
12-10-2016, 02:52 PM
Where have I been? I see this game is being played in Baltimore - didn't it used to be played in Philadelphia for like forever? When did they move it and why?

Anyway, I hope Army breaks their losing streak.
They've played it in Baltimore a few times over the past 10 years, and they played it once at the Redskins stadium in Landover, Md once as well.

cj
12-10-2016, 03:24 PM
This is the sixth time it has been played in Charm City. That is the third most behind Philly (86) and New York (11).

Inner Dirt
12-10-2016, 06:54 PM
Nice to see Army snap their losing streak. I did not bet so when that happens I just root for the under dog. As usual the Army-Navy game defies modern times, both QBs combined for 8 pass completions and 3 interceptions like something out of the 1940's.

JustRalph
12-10-2016, 07:38 PM
Nice to see Army snap their losing streak. I did not bet so when that happens I just root for the under dog. As usual the Army-Navy game defies modern times, both QBs combined for 8 pass completions and 3 interceptions like something out of the 1940's.

I don't know why the hell they have football teams

cj
12-10-2016, 07:59 PM

Same as every other school, to make money.

barahona44
12-10-2016, 10:06 PM
When you think about it, all 3 service academies have lower costs than other programs.Every single student is on full scholarship already, so there is no need to budget that, and there is no recruiting as such since applicants have to be appointed,
I always wondered why West Point was so mediocre at football the past half century while Air Force and especially Navy have had more success.Maybe there is some recruiting going on and there have been cheating scandals at Navy and Air Force revolving around football players in the past

Inner Dirt
12-11-2016, 09:09 AM
I have a streak dating back to Secretariat (I was 12) of never missing The Kentucky Derby, Indianapolis 500, or the Super Bowl. I pretty sure at least there are a couple times of missing the Army-Navy game in that span, but not many. I never served either so no connection there. Unlike many I enjoy watching a throw back game that I know isn't going to wind up 52-48 where if the team makes the other one punt twice it wins.

Jess Hawsen Arown
12-11-2016, 11:31 AM
I went to one Army-Navy game -- probably the most famous. It was 1963, right after Kennedy was assassinated. Many wanted the game cancelled, but the final decision was based on JFKs love of football.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/college/1963-army-navy-game-helped-national-heal-jfk-assassination-article-1.1525535

But it was also traditional for the military to observe the 30-day national period of mourning. And so on Tuesday, Nov. 26, four days after the President’s death and the same day the Heisman was awarded to Staubach, it was announced that the game would be moved back one week to Dec. 7 with the approval of the Kennedy family. According to some, it was First Lady Jacqueline Kennedy’s ultimate decision that the game be played.

“Some say Jackie Kennedy wanted the game played, but definitely the Kennedy family wanted it because he did love the Army-Navy Game,” Staubach says. “He played touch football, and Robert Kennedy was at some of our games. When we played Michigan, (RFK) was out on the front lawn of our hotel playing touch football every night. There was an affinity for Navy football and especially the Army-Navy game, so I think it was real sincere they wanted the game to be in remembrance of the President.”

The game was also memorable as Navy was overwhelming favorites with Roger Staubach. But Army was driving for the winning touchdown when the clock ran out inside the Navy 5.

anotherCAfan
12-16-2016, 12:19 AM
The game was played once out here at the Rose Bowl. It would be neat to see it played in San Diego or San Antonio.