PDA

View Full Version : Biggest Ticket Winner You Had?

DerbyJackpot
12-09-2016, 04:43 PM
What's the biggest ticket winner you've had? Track? Type Of Wager? Payout?

NorCalGreg
12-09-2016, 05:18 PM
You must mean within this past week--posted right up here on this very site:

Woodbine racetrack in the great country of Canada :rolleyes:

7th Race Dec 4th :1: -WARLORD 165.60 74.30 43.30

wagered $10 American--returned $828 tax-free dollars it did

All with a software program called Pace View PLATINUM

I highly recommend it - as does most everyone else that's ever tried it :)

Have a good day

HalvOnHorseracing
12-09-2016, 05:33 PM
Last Sunday, 2nd at AQU. I gave out 9-10-5 on my blog. Came in in that exact order.

9 Truth in the Lies $50.00 $18.40 $7.20
10 Jet Majesty $5.80 $3.60
5 Comet Sixty Two $3.50

Exact 9-10 $311.50

Trifecta 9-10-5 $1,546

Collected $2,922

I've had much bigger collections on exotic bets, and I've had dozens of win mutuels that paid over $40. This one just popped up because it was recent.

ultracapper
12-09-2016, 06:08 PM
Not even close to the most money I've ever bet on a horse, but I had $210 to win and $70 to place on a Richard Rosales trained horse named "Ancient 'something or other'" when he broke maiden. He was just short of 80-1. He absolutely ground out a 7f win at Santa Anita about 3 or 4 years ago. Had him again when he ground out a 1m win to clear N2L condition about 6 months later at about 25-1. Had more money on him that time, but because of the relatively "short" price on him that day, my profit wasn't nearly what the maiden breaker was.

The maiden win was a work of training art. Ancient "?" had ran twice at Fairplex that summer, both at 1 1/8m, very evident, to me anyway, that those 2 races were tune-ups for a real effort in a cutback situation. Pedroza, who was KING of Fairplex at that time, "worked" Ancient "?" in the 2nd of the 1 1/8m races. I remember thinking Pedroza-off in the 7f "race of effort" was a bad sign, but I had to stick with it. Rosales is one of those trainers that I track. He's been very transparent to me at times, and I've been able to take advantage of that visual transparency numerous times. I think he is a very capable trainer that is able to take advantage of smaller purse opportunities in California.

Rosales, Aguirre, Saavedra, MJones JR, Papa Sherman (minus California Chrome), Schwizer, McCarthy, and a hand full of other capable and/or small time operations can prove very profitable if the time and energy are put into following these types in a regular and diligent manner. I know that all circuits have these capable but small operations, and I would suggest to all handicappers to make an effort to learn some of these trainer's M.O. as well as you can. You can make quick, sizable strikes now and again, and they do wonders for your bankroll/bank account.

Anyhow, that maiden win was my single largest profitable hit of all time. Can't even remember what he placed. $60-$70 kind of feels right. I've never made $20,000 on a single win bet, though I've taken my shots now and again, have gotten the place a few times in those efforts, and have seen my winners get knocked down enough to put me under that golden number a few times also. It will happen, and it'll be sooner than later.

ReplayRandall
12-09-2016, 06:38 PM
Not even close to the most money I've ever bet on a horse, but I had $210 to win and $70 to place on a Richard Rosales trained horse named "Ancient 'something or other'" when he broke maiden. He was just short of 80-1. He absolutely ground out a 7f win at Santa Anita about 3 or 4 years ago. Had him again when he ground out a 1m win to clear N2L condition about 6 months later at about 25-1. Had more money on him that time, but because of the relatively "short" price on him that day, my profit wasn't nearly what the maiden breaker was.

The maiden win was a work of training art. Ancient "?" had ran twice at Fairplex that summer, both at 1 1/8m, very evident, to me anyway, that those 2 races were tune-ups for a real effort in a cutback situation. Pedroza, who was KING of Fairplex at that time, "worked" Ancient "?" in the 2nd of the 1 1/8m races. I remember thinking Pedroza-off in the 7f "race of effort" was a bad sign, but I had to stick with it. Rosales is one of those trainers that I track. He's been very transparent to me at times, and I've been able to take advantage of that visual transparency numerous times. I think he is a very capable trainer that is able to take advantage of smaller purse opportunities in California.

Rosales, Aguirre, Saavedra, MJones JR, Papa Sherman (minus California Chrome), Schwizer, McCarthy, and a hand full of other capable and/or small time operations can prove very profitable if the time and energy are put into following these types in a regular and diligent manner. I know that all circuits have these capable but small operations, and I would suggest to all handicappers to make an effort to learn some of these trainer's M.O. as well as you can. You can make quick, sizable strikes now and again, and they do wonders for your bankroll/bank account.

Anyhow, that maiden win was my single largest profitable hit of all time. Can't even remember what he placed. $60-$70 kind of feels right. I've never made $20,000 on a single win bet, though I've taken my shots now and again, have gotten the place a few times in those efforts, and have seen my winners get knocked down enough to put me under that golden number a few times also. It will happen, and it'll be sooner than later.

The name of that horse was Ancient Stone, who won on Oct. 13, 2013 at Santa Anita, paying- $152.80-60.00
http://www.equibase.com/premium/chartEmb.cfm?track=SA&raceDate=10/13/2013&cy=USA&rn=9

On March 14, 2014 Ancient Stone won again at Santa Anita, paying- $40.40-14.00
http://www.equibase.com/premium/chartEmb.cfm?track=SA&raceDate=03/14/2014&cy=USA&rn=6

Lemon Drop Husker
12-09-2016, 07:41 PM
Today.:jump:

Aqueduct.

Pick 6.

$24 wager. Returned $3,098.00 with 4 payouts for the 5 of 6 consolations.

:3::5:/:4:/:1::3::5:/:6:/:1::7:/:5:

I've wagered into maybe 12 Pick 6 pools in my lifetime. Simply just not a wager I make, but we were at our local OTB here in Lincoln, NE, and the pool was huge, so why not put together a crazy Pick 6 ticket with this massive carryover?

Better to be lucky sometimes as opposed to being good. :ThmbUp:

whisperlunch
12-09-2016, 07:46 PM
Lemon Drop. Great score. Congrats

Lemon Drop Husker
12-09-2016, 07:55 PM
Lemon Drop. Great score. Congrats

Thank You.

It was just a stupid lucky ticket to hit. :cool:

Probably never hit another P6 in my life, much less one I spend $24 upon.

While I 'capped the races for Aqueduct the past couple of days, it really never dawned on me that I would actually wager on the P6.

While out at the only wagering venue in my area, my buddy says "Dude, you have to at least put something into this pool. Be it $2 or $500. Fire something.".

That was 4 minutes to post.

I put my ticket together in 4 minutes, for the obvious cheap, and made all the right calls in "kicking" horses that we all make.

I still can't believe it to be real.

EasyGoer89
12-09-2016, 08:04 PM
Thank You.

It was just a stupid lucky ticket to hit. :cool:

Probably never hit another P6 in my life, much less one I spend $24 upon.

While I 'capped the races for Aqueduct the past couple of days, it really never dawned on me that I would actually wager on the P6.

While out at the only wagering venue in my area, my buddy says "Dude, you have to at least put something into this pool. Be it $2 or $500. Fire something.".

That was 4 minutes to post.

I put my ticket together in 4 minutes, for the obvious cheap, and made all the right calls in "kicking" horses that we all make.

I still can't believe it to be real.

Fantastic! Congrats, amazing price all things considered.

EMD4ME
12-09-2016, 08:07 PM
Today.:jump:

Aqueduct.

Pick 6.

$24 wager. Returned $3,098.00 with 4 payouts for the 5 of 6 consolations.

:3::5:/:4:/:1::3::5:/:6:/:1::7:/:5:

I've wagered into maybe 12 Pick 6 pools in my lifetime. Simply just not a wager I make, but we were at our local OTB here in Lincoln, NE, and the pool was huge, so why not put together a crazy Pick 6 ticket with this massive carryover?

Better to be lucky sometimes as opposed to being good. :ThmbUp:

HEY HEY LDH, WAY TO GO MY MAN!!!!!

That is SOME ROI PAL!!!!

AWESOME :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: (6 thumbs for 6 winners in a nice carryover pool!!!!!!)

thespaah
12-10-2016, 12:34 AM
Largest Win $40 win ticket at Meadowlands...I bet $5 WPS...
Largest show win, $20 and change for $2...Used a coupled entry that finished 1-3. This was a Trot race where the 3/5 made an early break and finished a fast closing 4th.
Largest exacta for $2 was a hair over $300. Belmont. I cannot remember the year..But Eptiome, a champion filly was making I believe her 3 YO debut. She was oh 9/5 or some such. I had her over and under three others. She won by a lip over a 40-1. The exacta paid $160. Had it twice. Had she finished second, it was about 2.5 times that.....My wife was with me, She said I had the worst luck...LOL.....
Largest Trifecta. Just short of a signer. around $580 At of all places, Roosevelt.
Largest win by a friend I was with was almost $2k. He played mostly exactas and doubles. But on this one decided to play a few trifectas. He had to fill out good old IRS 5754....I will never forget that form number. Wish I could fill one out. Just once. ...oh stop it you jokesters. on MY win.....

barahona44
12-10-2016, 10:08 AM
I only bet 2 dollar straight bets, my only 100 dollar plus ticket was at Louisiana downs about 4 years ago, 49-1 paid 102 and change.Also had tickets from Portland Meadows and Belterra that paid in the 90 plus range.

Lemon Drop Husker
12-10-2016, 10:39 AM
HEY HEY LDH, WAY TO GO MY MAN!!!!!

That is SOME ROI PAL!!!!

AWESOME :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: (6 thumbs for 6 winners in a nice carryover pool!!!!!!)

Thanks EMD4ME.

Still a bit surreal. So much chalk, so many small fields, and so many scratches yesterday at the Big A.

But still...., a Pick 6 baby! I can say I hit a Pick 6! :jump:

10 years from now, that $2,934 payout will be $29K, and some miracle horse I singled will have come from 20 lengths behind to win . :D

Longshot6977
12-10-2016, 10:47 AM
Wagered $1 on the 2011 Breeder's Cup classic super with Drosselmeyer on top and it paid a whopping $47,631 for $2. Got me $23,816, my biggest score ever. The ticket cost $24. I put him on top because he won the 2010 Belmont at about 14-1 and I had him to win there too.

PS- I also had it for a dime (those evil dime supers per SRU,LOL) and got another $2,381. Great day! But still chasing another.

judd
12-10-2016, 11:15 AM
most exciting was War Emblem wire-to-wire derby win
$200 win $100 place
was a 20-1 win :)

Lemon Drop Husker
12-10-2016, 11:32 AM
Charismatic, War Emblem, Drosselmeyer in the Belomont, even Birdstone in the Belmont were all great wins, but I have to side with Funny Cide as my greatest handicapping score I am most proud.

A 3YO gelding with zero connections and was just out-horsed by THE horse that year in Empire Maker in the Wood.

Surely they couldn't rebound and get it done in the Kentucky Derby, right? After watching that replay at least a dozen times, and crunching the numbers, it still came up Empire Maker. But..., there was something in your gut that takes you to that horse.

That gut still said Funny Cide. (Hell, the 13/1 price didn't hurt either :lol:, so I'll be a bit honest here.).

My only regrets were the $20 EX Box I had on Peace Rules/Funny Cide. 1st and 3rd. :mad:

DSB
12-10-2016, 11:42 AM
I've always been a small bettor. I enjoy the chase more than the kill...

At a local harness track 20+ years ago, I keyed a horse top and bottom in an exacta with three others for a buck. Cost a total of $6.

One of the horses in the mix was 50-1. He won and my key ran 2nd. The exacta came back just under a grand. I got almost $500.

Good times...

JohnGalt1
12-10-2016, 01:18 PM
My biggest win score paid $80.

It was a $8k maiden claimer at Bay Meadows

The trainer gave this cheap horse a 1 mile workout.

After asking why, I bet $20 on my two horses. the other finished second for the exacta.

Always look for the unusual. Most to the time it means nothing, but........

jahura2
12-10-2016, 01:53 PM
What's the biggest ticket winner you've had? Track? Type Of Wager? Payout?

Got a hold of some free tickets to an infield clubhouse box right on the turf course finish line at Churchill on Ky. Oaks Day May 2, 2003. Open bar and buffet all day so I couldn't lose to start with . I showed up in grubby jeans and a hoodie and was sharing a table with a number of well to do's who didn't know too much about racing.
I told them I was betting a horse in the Aegon Trf Sprint that I had seen get in some traffic trouble at Keeneland. I suggested they bet at least 2 WPS on Fiscally Speaking . Well he got his nose down on the wire in a blanket finish paying 96.80-33.20-12.20, I had the exacta 519.00 and the p3 for 767.00. The rich people thought I was a god. Of course didn't hit another race the rest of the day. :)

Psychotic Parakeet
12-10-2016, 04:20 PM
This is my largest pay out for a win bet:

I ditched my college classes on April 21, 2000 to go to Santa Anita for the whole day. I put a $5 win on Dozey Doats because I liked the way she looked in the paddock, and how she was warming up early on in the post parade; despite going off at nearly 51-1. Some ol' grouchy guy that was next to me on the rail told me flat-out that I was a "complete f***in idiot putting money on her nose." She won by a head, and paid over $258. He walked away grumbling under his breath that women shouldn't be handicapping on pretty pony angles. :p

mostpost
12-10-2016, 04:33 PM
Arljim78, didn't you win something like $40,000 on the Kentucky Derby a few years ago?

JustRalph
12-10-2016, 07:20 PM
Charismatic, War Emblem, Drosselmeyer in the Belomont, even Birdstone in the Belmont were all great wins, but I have to side with Funny Cide as my greatest handicapping score I am most proud.

A 3YO gelding with zero connections and was just out-horsed by THE horse that year in Empire Maker in the Wood.

Surely they couldn't rebound and get it done in the Kentucky Derby, right? After watching that replay at least a dozen times, and crunching the numbers, it still came up Empire Maker. But..., there was something in your gut that takes you to that horse.

That gut still said Funny Cide. (Hell, the 13/1 price didn't hurt either :lol:, so I'll be a bit honest here.).

My only regrets were the $20 EX Box I had on Peace Rules/Funny Cide. 1st and 3rd. :mad:

If you want to take the time, there are some very very good threads somewhere in the bowels of this server on the War Emblem Derby and the Funny Cide Derby.

rrpic6
12-10-2016, 07:54 PM
If you want to take the time, there are some very very good threads somewhere in the bowels of this server on the War Emblem Derby and the Funny Cide Derby.

Yep, They Were the Best of Times. They Were the Worst of Times. The War Emblem story of course. I went War Emblem/All/All/ in the trifecta and had him to end the Pick 4 that day. Wrote down a Pick 6 ticket that cost $600 (they had $1.00 Pick 6's then). I didn't play it. Would have been put up twice by the Stewards via DQ's also. No one had all 6 winners that day. The carryover was over 350K for the next race day. I won over 13K but felt like a real loser.

RR

PS. My biggest hit was a Pick 6 at Bay Meadows in 1999 for over 197K. Had the only ticket on the Friday Night card the day before The Breeder's Cup at Gulfstream. Just lucky the East Coast Sharpies were fast asleep.

FrankieFigs
12-10-2016, 09:17 PM
My biggest 1 race score was the first race September 15, 2008 at Kentucky Downs. I had a feeling about the #10 Cajun Gold after seeing his sire was ranked a "B" on the turf in the 2008 Sire Stats. I figured to go all in when he was 60/1. Went $20 across the board and $2 exacta box with the 1,2 and 11.

10 Cajun Gold......122.80...64.20...30.60 (wins by a nose)
1 Makinforeal....................11.60...10.80 (places by a nose)
5 Parade Critic..............................5.00

$1 exacta 10-1......890.80

Every time I look back on this race I'm amazed I cashed. I know there was a lot of luck hitting a $10k maiden claimer, but I also can't help but smile and feel good knowing I did this at least one freaking time in my life.... :)

handyman1968
12-11-2016, 03:52 AM
Summer of 1991 London, Ontario...small harness track. Took the whole trifecta pool in the last race of the night. Paid CAD3,998 for a 2 dollar bet.

lamboguy
12-11-2016, 04:43 AM
my biggest ticket was bought by mistake at Bally's Hotel in Las Vegas. i bet $20 to win on a horse at Atlantic City Race Course and wound up with a ticket at the Meadowlands. the horse paid $245 to win and they payed me full odds for the first $5 and i got $42 on the other $15. the lucky part about it was that the horse in Atlantic City happened to win paying about $6 so i went to cash my ticket and was shocked with the payoff.

CincyHorseplayer
12-11-2016, 05:11 AM
Crushed this attached race. I had it a 2 horse race. Went on an absolute tear the rest of the month and bet all winter til the end of the Turfway meet in March. Then went back to work! But this race launched one of the best on track and winning streaks eva! :D

MonmouthParkJoe
12-11-2016, 07:46 AM
Took down the monmouth pick 6 pool two years ago that was roughly $9k. A month after that went 5/6 and had it twice for $2700 each. I remember going on a tear for a couple months after that where I couldnt lose. It was a great summer.

Still waiting for my big score. I feel like every summer that passes I wind up being 5/6 in the pick 6 at Saratoga for big money only to lose in the last leg. It is things like this that keep me coming back every weekend.

Inner Dirt
12-11-2016, 09:51 AM
Biggest mutuel price for a win was $100. The horses name was Great Event and it was in the early 90's I was doing OTB in Tijuana, I don't even remember how much I bet. Biggest single day score was a poorly timed pick 6 at Aqueduct in Jan 2008. Hit for $36k, the poor timing was there was no carryover, and with low Beyer Fig speed horses winning most races. I could have been the single ticket winner of a much larger pool. I was watching TVG and they said after 4 races there was only one live ticket left. The only race won by a horse paying single digits was the last one and it was an even money shot. The races weren't close either there was a strong inside speed bias that made magic for a day. Maybe the rail was frozen?

Paseana
12-11-2016, 12:39 PM
I'm a recreational player who just loves the sport and the handicapping challenge. I seldom play any exotics....an occasional exacta, an even less occasional trifecta, and I never dabble in horizontals. I'm pretty much a win and place bettor.

That being said, though, I do like messing around with future bets, and my two biggest scores in 35+ years of playing the horses were on futures. And, oddly enough, they were both hit in the same year, 2003.

I laid $20 on Funny Cide at 93/1 in the first Derby future pool held in late February, I think. He ended up going off in the Derby at 12/1 or so, and I collected $1800! About 4 months later, over Labor Day weekend (about 2 months before the Breeders Cup), I bought a $50 ticket on Pleasantly Perfect in the Classic at 50/1, He won that Classic at around 14/1, and I was rewarded with a payoff of around $2550.

I've only won with one other future bet, hitting California Chrome at 32/1 in pool #2 (only $10 invested for a return of $330), but I have had a couple of near misses on Firing Line (Derby 2nd) at 35/1, and a $20 bet on I Want Revenge (scratch Derby morning as the favorite) at 60/1. That one hurt a little bit, but if you're going to play in the futures sandbox, you have to understand the risks and be comfortable with them.

Anyway, that's my story.

CincyHorseplayer
12-11-2016, 05:49 PM
Took down the monmouth pick 6 pool two years ago that was roughly $9k. A month after that went 5/6 and had it twice for $2700 each. I remember going on a tear for a couple months after that where I couldnt lose. It was a great summer.

Still waiting for my big score. I feel like every summer that passes I wind up being 5/6 in the pick 6 at Saratoga for big money only to lose in the last leg. It is things like this that keep me coming back every weekend.

It's amazing how you have success early in a new meet and it propels you into the stratosphere and by meet's end the whole experience was golden delicious! I had that happen to me nearly the entire year of 2001. I think it was just my "Handicapper's" coming of age! Great memory.

EMD4ME
12-11-2016, 06:04 PM
It's amazing how you have success early in a new meet and it propels you into the stratosphere and by meet's end the whole experience was golden delicious! I had that happen to me nearly the entire year of 2001. I think it was just my "Handicapper's" coming of age! Great memory.

To me, the moral of the story is, scared money is DEAD money.

Hence, why in most cases, one ABSOLUTELY needs to bet with a large bankroll OR a real gambling bankroll.

CincyHorseplayer
12-11-2016, 06:18 PM

Hence, why in most cases, one ABSOLUTELY needs to bet with a large bankroll OR a real gambling bankroll.

I certainly don't deny that reality for myself specifically.

But by the same token I am not devaluing my good racetrack memories and proceeding with a chastised enthusiasm because of that reality!

EMD4ME
12-11-2016, 06:28 PM
I certainly don't deny that reality for myself specifically.

But by the same token I am not devaluing my good racetrack memories and proceeding with a chastised enthusiasm because of that reality!

OMG :( I hope you didn't take it that way buddy!

Those are AWESOME RUNS!

On a minor sidenote, I was pointing out that good players do very well, when they bet without fear.

Weak players, would lose a large bankroll 99% of the time.

thespaah
12-11-2016, 06:57 PM

You said it.
When I was a youngster getting my feet wet in the racing game, I recall one evening at where else, The Meadowlands. I was chatting with this older guy and he said that very same thing to me. Or words to that effect. He said and I quote "never bet with scared money".....
So, here we are nearly 40 years later( YIKES!) and I still to this day adhere to this sage advice. If I don't "feel it" I will sit out the race.

JustRalph
12-11-2016, 07:12 PM

My dads motto. Scared money never wins.

EMD4ME
12-11-2016, 07:15 PM
I've turned $40 into $4000 a kazillion times.

It wasn't $40 of scared money though....Hence why and how I lost the $4000 many times :lol: :lol: :lol:

All I'm trying to say is, it doesn't matter how much, it can't be scared money.

Preferably, you must bet with a ton of profit and not fear a damn thing.

AndyC
12-11-2016, 08:22 PM
..... Scared money never wins.

I know a lot of people who don't bet scared money who might be better off being a little scared. They would save themselves a lot of money.

EMD4ME
12-11-2016, 08:33 PM
I know a lot of people who don't bet scared money who might be better off being a little scared. They would save themselves a lot of money.

On that note, ME TOO :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I know of someone who blows $200,000 a year, every year.

CincyHorseplayer
12-11-2016, 09:22 PM
OMG :( I hope you didn't take it that way buddy!

Those are AWESOME RUNS!

On a minor sidenote, I was pointing out that good players do very well, when they bet without fear.

Weak players, would lose a large bankroll 99% of the time.

OK yeah I thought you were rulers to knuckles there for a second with big bankroll machismo! HAHA!! I don't play with big money or scared money but definitely will not put into play what I can't afford to lose. That said you are right, when I am adequately capitalized I do pretty swell!

coachv30
12-11-2016, 09:41 PM
This year, Hawthorne Harness....

20 cent Super

Ticket cost- $14.40; Return $6180.00

arw629
12-12-2016, 10:21 PM
I was on a real heater a few summers ago betting Del Mar and fired $75 to win on a Steve Miyadi firster in the last race on the card,a maiden claimer on the main track and cashed ...i deposited $55 into my adw that day and finished with $5100 but that hit was the most I ever cashed on a win bet

Stoleitbreezing
12-12-2016, 11:34 PM
A few years ago at Suffolk Downs before it became a boutique meet. I handicapped a maiden race or a NL2 event where I came up with the longshot :9: ridden by journeyman jockey Ronny Rideout. I believe the horse was 83 to 1 or something and I had 5 bucks on him to win. I remember getting a receipt from the teller, but don't know what I did with it.

I had a 54-1 shot at belmont many moons ago after reading Davidowitz's book Betting Thoroughbreds and picking a horse with little know turf sire Ziggy's boy.

I also caught a 103 dollar horse at FG a while back, but most remember missing the P3 when I didn't catch the last leg. So sick!

At cal expo I caught a 114 dollar horse on a 2 dollar win bet. My buddy and I were down to practically nothing and handicapped one of the last races before the OTB was to close for the night. Worked out how you envision it, the big chalk breaks rounding the far turn your bomb has the garden trip and tips out to blow by the tiring leader with no one else coming on.

Biggest score: I caught a superfecta at Turfway a long time ago that paid 2,292.80. I crossed out 5 of the 9 horses in the race and bet it ice cold for $2 dollars :4: :2: :3: :8: I became the "Iceman" around the OTB after that for a few months. :D