PDA

View Full Version : 12/9 R3 Gulfstream: #2 Gunther Brothers

Lemon Drop Husker
12-07-2016, 06:34 PM
OK, so I'm going through the card for Gulfstream this Friday and I roll into the 3rd race. A 7 Furlong $12.5 Maiden Claimer. Nearly as low as you can go, and obviously you aren't expecting the greatest of horses..., yet...., :2: Gunther Brothers is running.

Gunther is 0 for 38 lifetime as a 6YO gelding. He has pretty much ran at Gulfstream Park his entire racing career outside of some recent races at GP West and some attempts at Delaware, Monmouth, and Tampa. He has ran in 2 MSW races (2nd and 3rd start of career) and finished a well beaten 8th and 10th respectively. In his 38 career races, he has "won" $20,985 and has hit the board 8 times with 2 places and 6 shows.

With all that said, my question is, why is this horse still racing? And not only racing, but his last time out was off of 3 days "rest".

At what point do you give up on a horse? Why not sell him for almost nothing so he can run at a smaller circuit in say a $2,500 Maiden Claimer where he might actually have a chance? When does he officially become a family pet?

Then again, I guess he is "in form" per say. 4 of his 8 lifetime board finishes have come in his last 7 races. With a 12/1 ML, maybe he is finally ready! :ThmbUp:

GO GUNTHER GO! :faint:

johnhannibalsmith
12-07-2016, 06:50 PM
Gunther probably earns about 3 stalls a year with his roughly 20 starts annually on the circuit.