PDA

View Full Version : Hallowed Dreams

Observer
04-21-2001, 05:34 PM
She didn't win by much ... but she still won!! Her record now stands at 21 wins from 22 starts. She's accomplished this over all sorts of surfaces and is just simply a fast filly who knows how to get home first.

My only disappointment was not getting to see her race last night. Luckily her past couple of races being at the Fair Grounds were easily attainable, and it was clear to see how truly talented she is. I certainly will be looking forward to actually getting to see her race again. Until then, I hope she keeps rockin' and rollin'.

Tom
04-21-2001, 07:25 PM
I don't care what others say, I think this is one special horse and she really deserves the credit for being a champion.
Why isn't racing touting her career? Racing needs a few superstars to catch attention. NTRA-you guys missed the boat.
20 wins is astounding! Salute!!
Tom

Observer
04-21-2001, 09:39 PM
She's not getting any respect because too many people don't like that she's been doing this in her home state of Louisiana. Not enough people are recognizing just how difficult it actually is to go out there race after race and still pull off the wins, especially under less than ideal conditions. They just feel she's facing inferior competition because she hasn't faced the "stars" of the game.

There were attempts to tout her career and her achievements, but when she was coming up on the 16 straight mark, it was met unfavorably by some in the media as well as by much of the general public. While she does continue to receive some media attention, she won't be treated with the respect she deserves until, as they say, "she's tested." And to me, that's a shame. She's one to be enjoyed.

It's ironic, sometimes it just seems you can't win in this game. When certain trainers appear to overmatch their horses, they are criticized. Other trainers who run their horses in spots that seem too soft are criticized for not testing their horse's ability. People need to stop being so judgemental and learn to appreciate all the hard work that goes into this game, from the horses, to the jockeys, to the trainers and everyone in between, particularly to the people who probably get the least amount of credit in the whole game, the grooms.

Druther
04-22-2001, 12:19 PM
For some people being critical is their natural state. The next thing you’ll probably hear about her is that she hasn’t proven anything because she’s never routed.

The other day I was watching the news and during the sports section two commentaries were talking about Tiger Woods winning the “Big 4.” One said it was an unprecedented feat. The other said it wasn’t because he didn’t accomplish it in the same year. The next thing I expect to hear is that Tiger Woods isn’t really an athlete because he’s never played professional football.

Maybe twenty years ago I was sitting in the Santa Anita grandstand waiting to play a horse I thought had an excellent chance to win. He was something like 8-1 and a huge overlay in my opinion if he stayed there. I had another 10 minutes so went and got a cup of coffee. When I returned a man came up and asked, “Who do you like?” So I told him – my experience is just tell them the truth and they’ll go away and leave you alone. As I sat down he sat down next to me and pulled out his Form. I was taking a sip of coffee as he started to speak and turned towards him. He said, “I’d never play that horse. They’re switching to McCarron. McCarron’s a turf rider.”

I was just swallowing the coffee – it caught me as such an incredulous remark I started to cough and spit the hot coffee all over him.

Served him right. And I say “spit on all of them.”

Observer
04-22-2001, 12:41 PM
Thanks for the smile Druther. That was great!