PDA

View Full Version : Man punches kangaroo to save his pooch.

EasyGoer89
12-05-2016, 09:16 PM
Incredible video, its not graphic at all, the kangaroo has the man's big dog in a headlock and the man rushes the kangaroo, who appears to be well over 100 lbs, the kangaroo lets go of the dog and gets in a 'boxing stance' to fend off the man, who catches the kangaroo with a hard right cross, the kangaroo just stands there, maybe a bit dazed, but then thinks better of it and runs away, very interesting video, you can hear the punch land.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIRT7lf8byw

kingfin66
12-05-2016, 09:26 PM
The punch was not too impressive, but I will forgive that given the fact that he was face to face with a wild animal.

Inner Dirt
12-05-2016, 10:31 PM
That was funny, but a rather weak punch.

zico20
12-05-2016, 10:34 PM
It would have went much easier if the guy just had a gun on him. If that was my dog and I was in that situation I would have shot the kangaroo, and never have given it a second thought.

Fager Fan
12-05-2016, 11:29 PM
The punch was not too impressive, but I will forgive that given the fact that he was face to face with a wild animal.

Because it wasn't a punch. It was a slap of its snout. Pretty smart really. A punch would likely miss, and if you know animals, they don't like a slap across the snout.

Amusing video. I've never had personal experience but have always heard Kangaroos are amazingly strong and quite nasty.

Anyone watch Modern Family? I loved this clip: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pIAuK7MALuw

Fager Fan
12-05-2016, 11:30 PM
It would have went much easier if the guy just had a gun on him. If that was my dog and I was in that situation I would have shot the kangaroo, and never have given it a second thought.

I think it's illegal.

Inner Dirt
12-05-2016, 11:57 PM
Because it wasn't a punch. It was a slap of its snout. Pretty smart really. A punch would likely miss, and if you know animals, they don't like a slap across the snout.

Amusing video. I've never had personal experience but have always heard Kangaroos are amazingly strong and quite nasty.

Anyone watch Modern Family? I loved this clip: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pIAuK7MALuw

That was a close fisted punch. Toward the end there are slo mo replays and you can pause it, it is not a slap.

CincyHorseplayer
12-06-2016, 12:45 AM
Yeah he was probably right handed and in a southpaw stance plus the thing had a small head. If he puts some mustard on it he probably misses altogether and the thing is in his face.

Now check this out!

https://www.facebook.com/19apdta/videos/1031724090231355/

Marshall Bennett
12-06-2016, 04:13 AM
That was funny, but a rather weak punch.
Yeah, but can you imagine the outrage had he knocked it out cold. :D

Fager Fan
12-06-2016, 08:09 AM
That was a close fisted punch. Toward the end there are slo mo replays and you can pause it, it is not a slap.

You're right. I thought he opened his hand but it's still a fist after.

Inner Dirt
12-06-2016, 11:19 AM
PETA wants the guy fired from his job as an animal trainer. So Kangaroo lives matter and dogs don't? The dog didn't appear to be resisting for some odd reason.

Inner Dirt
12-06-2016, 11:34 AM
Yeah he was probably right handed and in a southpaw stance plus the thing had a small head. If he puts some mustard on it he probably misses altogether and the thing is in his face.

Now check this out!

https://www.facebook.com/19apdta/videos/1031724090231355/

As someone who used to box I find it comical to watch people throw punches that have no natural talent for it plus no experience. You are correct about the south paw stance. His foot position is correct to throw a straight right jab from not the weak right cross thrown from an improper hand position. The kangaroo on the other hand seemed to have better footwork, defensive positioning and can take a punch. If that fight continues I think the kangaroo wins on points.

CincyHorseplayer
12-06-2016, 02:49 PM
As someone who used to box I find it comical to watch people throw punches that have no natural talent for it plus no experience. You are correct about the south paw stance. His foot position is correct to throw a straight right jab from not the weak right cross thrown from an improper hand position. The kangaroo on the other hand seemed to have better footwork, defensive positioning and can take a punch. If that fight continues I think the kangaroo wins on points.

Nice. :ThmbUp:

JustRalph
12-06-2016, 04:11 PM
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/zoo-keeper-who-punched-kangaroo-9403791

Not fired

Actor
12-06-2016, 05:11 PM
The video starts in the middle. The 'roo has his arms around the dog's neck when we first see it and the dog appears to be breathing. What led up to this situation? 'Roos are herbivores so it's highly unlikely that the 'roo attacked the dog with the intention of eating it. Was the 'roos action defensive?

elysiantraveller
12-06-2016, 06:09 PM
Light on this...

They were hunting.

Those are hunting dogs. They were hunting boars. The dogs released (there are two in the video) actually operate the hunt. The one that we see trotting around is one of the tracking dogs while the dog being gripped by the Kangaroo is a larger "hold" dog.

Basically in a hog hunt tracking dogs are released and if the pig is small they will grab and hold it down for the hunter to come up and slit the boars throat with a knife. If the boar is deemed too big most outfits will drop a larger animal (typically a Great Dane or Dogo Argentina) to take on the boar. These dogs are massive and normally armored like the one in the video who is wearing a carbon fiber type vest for protection when they take on the big ones.

This big one happened to have mistaken identity and went after a big roo. It didn't mind the hold because its basically doing its job of keeping the target held in place. Had the hunter not intervened the Roo would probably have wound up killing the dog because after being released or getting loose the dog would again try to "hold" the Roo in place.

_______
12-06-2016, 06:32 PM

Or rocks back on it's tail and kicks the guy out of frame.

I'm not an expert on interspecies combat but what I find comical is that the best judgement shown throughout is non-human.

thaskalos
12-06-2016, 06:54 PM
Light on this...

They were hunting.

Those are hunting dogs. They were hunting boars. The dogs released (there are two in the video) actually operate the hunt. The one that we see trotting around is one of the tracking dogs while the dog being gripped by the Kangaroo is a larger "hold" dog.

Basically in a hog hunt tracking dogs are released and if the pig is small they will grab and hold it down for the hunter to come up and slit the boars throat with a knife. If the boar is deemed too big most outfits will drop a larger animal (typically a Great Dane or Dogo Argentina) to take on the boar. These dogs are massive and normally armored like the one in the video who is wearing a carbon fiber type vest for protection when they take on the big ones.

This big one happened to have mistaken identity and went after a big roo. It didn't mind the hold because its basically doing its job of keeping the target held in place. Had the hunter not intervened the Roo would probably have wound up killing the dog because after being released or getting loose the dog would again try to "hold" the Roo in place.

Poor hunting dog. It picked on something bigger than a small pig...and the "big game" hunters didn't get to slit the small pig's throat with a knife. Now I understand the dog-owner's outrage. :ThmbUp:

elysiantraveller
12-06-2016, 07:14 PM
Poor hunting dog. It picked on something bigger than a small pig...and the "big game" hunters didn't get to slit the small pig's throat with a knife. Now I understand the dog-owner's outrage. :ThmbUp:

Just a dog owner defending his dog. You'd do the same.

Tape Reader
12-06-2016, 07:19 PM
Are kangaroo’s that intelligent?

My brother-in-law worked in Australia for several years. He was playing golf one day and when he was at the tee box, a kangaroo was at the sidelines, and watching.

He shrugged his shoulders. What? He was told that the Kangaroo was waiting for him to tee off before crossing the path, which it did.

atlasaxis
12-06-2016, 08:04 PM
Looked like a Stockton Slap to me! (for all you Nate Diaz fans! ;) )

Fager Fan
12-06-2016, 09:07 PM
Light on this...

They were hunting.

Where'd you get this info? Interesting nonetheless but curious because I got the impression they were filming for some show. I guess it couldve been a boar hunting show.

elysiantraveller
12-06-2016, 09:18 PM
Where'd you get this info? Interesting nonetheless but curious because I got the impression they were filming for some show. I guess it couldve been a boar hunting show.

The knife he's carrying. The breeds and the armor are give aways. Plus they mention boars a couple of times. I haven't done it but I'm familiar with this type of hunting.

Fager Fan
12-06-2016, 11:59 PM
https://www.google.com/amp/www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/12/07/expert-explains-kangaroo-punched-zookeeper-had-dog-headlock/amp/?client=safari

Interesting back story on the incident. The man was a zookeeper and they'd gone out with a child with cancer who had wanted to hunt boar. They were filming the trip to give to the child and his family.

elysiantraveller
12-07-2016, 08:00 AM
https://www.google.com/amp/www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/12/07/expert-explains-kangaroo-punched-zookeeper-had-dog-headlock/amp/?client=safari

Interesting back story on the incident. The man was a zookeeper and they'd gone out with a child with cancer who had wanted to hunt boar. They were filming the trip to give to the child and his family.

Well there you have it... :cool:

RunForTheRoses
12-07-2016, 10:04 AM
Those kangaroos are tough, my money would be on the too if it went any longer.

There was some terrible late 70s movie where Terry Bradshaw boxes a kangaroo. I couldn't find a video clip.

RunForTheRoses
12-07-2016, 10:05 AM
I think I got this clip from PA but not sure:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rRddLDynsCs

Inner Dirt
12-07-2016, 10:51 AM

I guess that explains why the dog wasn't trying to get away, interesting.

Inner Dirt
12-07-2016, 10:59 AM

Curious what is it you have a problem with? People hunting? I don't hunt and deer are on my property all the time. I get my meat from the store, but see no difference. Killing animals for food is killing animals for food no matter how it is done. Not sure in this case but wild boars can quickly over run an area if they aren't kept in check. They eat like pigs:lol: and too many of them can strip an area clean in no time.

Grits
12-07-2016, 11:27 AM
Thanks, Elysian, for explaining more about the video. ... I've never hunted, never spent time with those who do. That said, it's not for me, though, there are a number of women who hunt I'm sure.

I don't get bothered by those that hunt, doing so, to add meat to their freezers--for their family's consumption. I long ago realized that if these animals were not hunted--they'd starve. I do have a problem with hunting for sport, for wall mounts. Baited fields at exclusive clubs. This bothers me.

Years ago, an attorney friend and his wife hosted a party each February. All of the food consist of game that had been sauteed, stewed, or grilled. All this, along with lots of alcohol. I didn't like any of the venison I tried. But, beyond a doubt, one of the best things I've ever eaten in my life was the grilled quail I had those years I attended. I'll never forget it, and the few times I've ordered it in restaurants since...truly didn't compare.

I love birds, and I couldn't shoot one for anything. The whole time I was eating that quail, I was having a hard time--looking down at my place seeing the tiny bones left of something I've watched through binoculars for years. Been a long, long time since I've eaten quail again. ;)

thaskalos
12-07-2016, 11:47 AM
Curious what is it you have a problem with? People hunting? I don't hunt and deer are on my property all the time. I get my meat from the store, but see no difference. Killing animals for food is killing animals for food no matter how it is done. Not sure in this case but wild boars can quickly over run an area if they aren't kept in check. They eat like pigs:lol: and too many of them can strip an area clean in no time.

I don't have a problem with anything. I am just saying that, IMO, a hunter who uses his dogs to hunt big game prey could hardly be considered a "dog lover"...because he subjects his "pets" to serious danger, in order to pursue his hobby. So...this video clip here could hardly be seen as just a "caring dog owner protecting his beloved pet from danger"...since it's the dog-owner himself who endangered his "pet" in the first place.

Tom
12-07-2016, 12:09 PM
Hunting for food is one thing.
For sport, forget it, unless the prey is also armed and can fire back.

THEN it is a sport.

Inner Dirt
12-07-2016, 12:23 PM
I don't have a problem with anything. I am just saying that, IMO, a hunter who uses his dogs to hunt big game prey could hardly be considered a "dog lover"...because he subjects his "pets" to serious danger, in order to pursue his hobby. So...this video clip here could hardly be seen as just a "caring dog owner protecting his beloved pet from danger"...since it's the dog-owner himself who endangered his "pet" in the first place.

Here is a good dog lover story, on a cold night last winter a Beagle which is a common dog used to hunt deer in these parts shows up on my back porch. I live in the woods where the houses can be 1/4 mile apart or more. He wasn't hungry or thirsty but just kept hanging around. He had a tag on but since it was late I just put a blanket down in the shop and turned on a space heater, I wasn't bringing him in the house as my cat has never been around a dog.

Next morning I call the number on his tag and since the owner's house was on my way out of town I told him I would drop him off. I let the dog ride in the front seat of my SUV. As I drive to the back of the property where the house is I see the trademark hunter's pick up with the dog cage in the back. Mind you even on a clear morning it is in the low 20's. The guy says "thanks" grabs the dog out of my front seat, says "Your fun life is over"
while he shoves the dog in the cage exposed to the elements and goes in the house.

Most of these deer hunters here use dogs with GPS collars and whip antennas on them. They usually hunt in groups sometimes up to a dozen guys. They will walk through the woods in what looks like Civil War skirmish lines. When they do get a deer they will lay it out on a truck tailgate in the local country store parking lot and admire it, like 12 guys with 12 GPS dogs getting one deer is some major feat. It is about as sporting as fishing at a trout hatchery if you ask me.

JustRalph
12-07-2016, 12:39 PM
I hunted deer years ago. It was a good chance to spend time with my brother and some friends. Took one, gutted etc. filled the fridge. Did the math. I was eating venison at triple the price of filet mignon.

It's expensive to hunt. No more do I partake. Been there done that.

thaskalos
12-07-2016, 12:50 PM
Here is a good dog lover story, on a cold night last winter a Beagle which is a common dog used to hunt deer in these parts shows up on my back porch. I live in the woods where the houses can be 1/4 mile apart or more. He wasn't hungry or thirsty but just kept hanging around. He had a tag on but since it was late I just put a blanket down in the shop and turned on a space heater, I wasn't bringing him in the house as my cat has never been around a dog.

Next morning I call the number on his tag and since the owner's house was on my way out of town I told him I would drop him off. I let the dog ride in the front seat of my SUV. As I drive to the back of the property where the house is I see the trademark hunter's pick up with the dog cage in the back. Mind you even on a clear morning it is in the low 20's. The guy says "thanks" grabs the dog out of my front seat, says "Your fun life is over"
while he shoves the dog in the cage exposed to the elements and goes in the house.

Most of these deer hunters here use dogs with GPS collars and whip antennas on them. They usually hunt in groups sometimes up to a dozen guys. They will walk through the woods in what looks like Civil War skirmish lines. When they do get a deer they will lay it out on a truck tailgate in the local country store parking lot and admire it, like 12 guys with 12 GPS dogs getting one deer is some major feat. It is about as sporting as fishing at a trout hatchery if you ask me.
And yet...I make a negative comment in a thread erroneously titled "Man punches Kangaroo to save his pooch"...and you ask me what my problem is.

You should be asking those hunters who masquerade as "dog lovers", what their problem is.

Inner Dirt
12-07-2016, 12:57 PM
And yet...I make a negative comment in a thread erroneously titled "Man punches Kangaroo to save his pooch"...and you ask me what my problem is.

You should be asking those hunters who masquerade as "dog lovers", what their problem is.

I just wanted to know what you objected to, simple as that. You could be a vegetarian for all I know.

TJDave
12-07-2016, 03:09 PM
When they do get a deer they will lay it out on a truck tailgate in the local country store parking lot and admire it, like 12 guys with 12 GPS dogs getting one deer is some major feat. It is about as sporting as fishing at a trout hatchery if you ask me.

I would sooner kill a deer than catch and release a fish. Fishing is not a sport. Neither is hunting.

JustRalph
12-07-2016, 08:09 PM

Not all hunters treat there dogs bad. If you've never seen two or three Beagles or bird dogs barking like crazy because they are excited on the way to a hunt, they are experiencing pure joy. They love it. Just like everything else, individual conduct sets the tone.

elysiantraveller
12-07-2016, 09:07 PM
Years ago, an attorney friend and his wife hosted a party each February. All of the food consist of game that had been sauteed, stewed, or grilled. All this, along with lots of alcohol. I didn't like any of the venison I tried. But, beyond a doubt, one of the best things I've ever eaten in my life was the grilled quail I had those years I attended. I'll never forget it, and the few times I've ordered it in restaurants since...truly didn't compare.

Bird hunting is 95% of what I do. Mostly grouse and me and the dog chase pheasants during the short season. The other 5% is me going and shooting a deer when I run out of venison. Most people don't like it because whoever made it treated it like cow... it's not. The big brown guy and I putting up a woodcock below you can hardly make out the bird...

Gxu79P5KV58

elysiantraveller
12-07-2016, 09:09 PM

Malarkey.

These animals were breed specifically to perform jobs. They love those jobs... I cannot tell you how many times my dog comes home bloodied and wore out and happy as hell.

I can't put boots on or get a gun out without him going absolutely apeshit.

elysiantraveller
12-07-2016, 09:11 PM
I hunted deer years ago. It was a good chance to spend time with my brother and some friends. Took one, gutted etc. filled the fridge. Did the math. I was eating venison at triple the price of filet mignon.

:confused:

My cost was $1.63/lb this year.

thaskalos
12-07-2016, 09:58 PM
Malarkey.

These animals were breed specifically to perform jobs. They love those jobs... I cannot tell you how many times my dog comes home bloodied and wore out and happy as hell.

Do you hunt for sport...or for meat?

elysiantraveller
12-07-2016, 10:05 PM
Do you hunt for sport...or for meat?

Not sure how this is relevant... however... I eat everything I shoot. I shoot deer for meat. I hunt birds because I love working with the dogs.

Meat hunting for birds is a foolish endeavor. It's more about being in the woods and working with the dog. There is a weird sense of harmony in the whole thing when you and your best friend are working together with a single purpose. In the video I posted it said no e-collar in the description so I basically had zero control over what the dog is doing. He could have decided to take a nap, ran away, or whatever... instead he's doing his job and listening to commands because he enjoys it as well.

JustRalph
12-07-2016, 10:23 PM

My Grandfather had coon hounds. They would see him load their carrier into the bed of his truck and the barking and wailing would commence. They would go apeshit and start pacing. I could hear them as they went down the road.

ElKabong
12-07-2016, 11:49 PM
That kangaroo must be related to Jose Bautista. Got bitch slapped and just stood there and took it...

JustRalph
12-08-2016, 12:12 AM
That kangaroo must be related to Jose Bautista. Got bitch slapped and just stood there and took it...

Racist!!

Roo hater!

Inner Dirt
12-08-2016, 10:19 AM

I don't hunt but have had friends that do. Around here deer tags for locals are cheap $20-$25 depending on the county. Had a late friend who lived in the state of Washington, when his sons came to visit and hunt a deer tag for a non resident was $400 while a resident was $40. States generally charge non residents a lot more to hunt and fish.

zico20
12-10-2016, 05:33 PM
The zoo where the guys works at is now investigating the incident to see what "appropriate action" should be taken. They are working with the guy to understand the exact circumstances. Gee, I thought the video was abundantly clear what happened. Shows what I know. :D

http://heatst.com/life/most-australian-man-ever-under-investigation-for-punching-a-kangaroo-to-save-his-dogs-life/

barahona44
12-11-2016, 05:27 PM
New York Giants head coach Ben McAdoo is showing the kangaroo video as player motivation.

http://www.nypost.com/2016/12/11/ben-mcadoo-goes-to-youtube-for-giants-motivation