PDA

View Full Version : College Football Playoffs

FakeNameChanged
12-04-2016, 09:25 AM
The Nittany Lions won the Big Ten Championship last night in a great game. A great season and I don't expect the committee to put in two teams from the Big Ten. I know how it would feel if I were a Washington alumni and moved out of their 4th spot. I'm happy just to have come all the back from the abyss of you know what. I can't believe that idiot commentator had to bring that f-ing crap up as they clinched the deal as time wound down. Rose Bowl will be a great consolation prize. Go LIONS!

upthecreek
12-04-2016, 09:54 AM
The Nittany Lions won the Big Ten Championship last night in a great game. A great season and I don't expect the committee to put in two teams from the Big Ten. I know how it would feel if I were a Washington alumni and moved out of their 4th spot. I'm happy just to have come all the back from the abyss of you know what. I can't believe that idiot commentator had to bring that f-ing crap up as they clinched the deal as time wound down. Rose Bowl will be a great consolation prize. Go LIONS!

Congrats also to another Phila area team, the Temple Owls, who beat up on Navy to win the win the ACC championship :ThmbUp:

Inner Dirt
12-04-2016, 10:50 AM

I was rooting for Va Tech to beat Clemson so Penn State would have had a shot to get in, but unfortunately that didn't happen.

FakeNameChanged
12-04-2016, 11:21 AM
I was rooting for Va Tech to beat Clemson so Penn State would have had a shot to get in, but unfortunately that didn't happen.
VT gave it a shot. Clemson has a chance to beat ALabama, imo. Clemson has always been a tough team for PSU to beat. It's hard to understand how Urban always seems to get around the deal that Conference winners will get into these championships. And I think Urban is a great coach.

Marshall Bennett
12-04-2016, 12:11 PM
Alabama almost appears bored with winning at times. They'll look vulnerable and then switch gears and destroy the competition.
I think they'd beat Clemson because they're a much better team. They'll have to beat themselves to lose. :)

Inner Dirt
12-04-2016, 12:22 PM
Alabama almost appears bored with winning at times. They'll look vulnerable and then switch gears and destroy the competition.
I think they'd beat Clemson because they're a much better team. They'll have to beat themselves to lose. :)

Agreed. I watch Alabama games finally thinking one will be competitive just like last night when Florida easily marched down the field and went op 7-0.
They let the opponent think they have a chance for a while and then they flip a switch and blow them away. You start out watching thinking Alabama might lose let alone cover the spread, then they win by 4 touchdowns or more.

proximity
12-04-2016, 11:15 PM
penn st didn't make it (and probably rightfully so) but they will be a MAJOR threat as long as mcsorley is under center. what a winner!!

JustRalph
12-05-2016, 12:00 AM
JT Barret's arm is a noodle. No accuracy left at all. But I'm legally required to be a Buckeye fanatic.

Mind you, when they won the first one in 2014, I had to pull over on the freeway because I couldn't see through the tears

My wife thought I was crazy

reckless
12-05-2016, 06:26 AM
Penn State got screwed. They won the big 10 title and they beat Ohio State. Yes, the Buckeyes are a better team but why have split divisions, 8 games in conference play, and a title game if the winner is ignored?

forced89
12-05-2016, 08:52 AM
Penn State got screwed. They won the big 10 title and they beat Ohio State. Yes, the Buckeyes are a better team but why have split divisions, 8 games in conference play, and a title game if the winner is ignored?

Agree. If nothing else, Penn State should have replaced Washington.

kingfin66
12-05-2016, 10:07 AM

That is the problem in a 4 team playoff - somebody is always going to get screwed.

MutuelClerk
12-05-2016, 10:34 AM
Penn State got screwed.

If true, good. I'm a Michigan fan, I don't like OSU but I respect them. With the recent happenings that went on at PSU I have no respect for them, their fanbase, or a coach that let those things go on. They're lucky to have remained in the Big 10.

reckless
12-05-2016, 11:28 AM
If true, good. I'm a Michigan fan, I don't like OSU but I respect them. With the recent happenings that went on at PSU I have no respect for them, their fanbase, or a coach that let those things go on. They're lucky to have remained in the Big 10.

Well the coach that let those things go on, Joe Paterno, is dead. His great legacy as a football coach was tarnished forever and imo, beyond reproach.

I have no use for the fanbase well. While I live in Pennsylvania I am NOT a Penn State fan, per se, in case you see my advocacy for the Nittany Lions as solely a partisan issue. Nothing could be further from reality -- Penn State beat Ohio State, won the very strong and deep Big 10 title and simply got screwed over.

Plus they have the most exciting team to come out of the East in many years -- all those 2nd half comebacks are as exciting as anything I ever watched. And they did it a half dozens times this season, Mutuel!

Current coach James Franklin is a minor miracle man for what he did for the program.

MutuelClerk
12-05-2016, 11:42 AM
I understand your point reckless and respect it. That coach may be tarnished in our eyes but it wont be long before another statue is built for him by that deplorable ( TM Hillary) fan base. I'm protective of the Big 10, personally I would never let Notre Dame join after they rejected us. Eventually Notre Dame will have to join a conference in football. I understand logistically the Big 10 is perfect. But screw ND.

ElKabong
12-05-2016, 11:45 AM
A one loss Ohio state team
A two loss penn state team

These two teams tied for the division title

I'll take the one loss team every time. If penn state had only one loss they'd be in because of the win over ohio state. Simple as that

As for their program, they should have been shut down. Period. What took place was FAR worse than what SMU did thirty years ago and they never have recovered. (Same for Baylor btw). As for Franklin, I'm still not convinced. OBrien laid a good foundation.

reckless
12-05-2016, 12:08 PM

I'll take the one loss team every time. If penn state had only one loss they'd be in because of the win over ohio state. Simple as that

As for their program, they should have been shut down. Period. What took place was FAR worse than what SMU did thirty years ago and they never have recovered. (Same for Baylor btw). As for Franklin, I'm still not convinced. OBrien laid a good foundation.

The first bolded part I'll just say that Penn State beat Ohio State. And then they beat Wisconsin for the Big 10 title. Through these blood-shot eyes of mine, I see it that Penn State should have been named to the Playoff Final Four and not Ohio State.

Remember when head-to-head results were important and separated those teams that finished their seasons with the same record?? Plus, Ohio State struggled against a weak Michigan State team while Penn State beat them when the Spartans held a lot more swag.

The second bolded part ... I truly feel that Penn State should have shut down the entire football program for a few years after the Sandusky sex scandal. But they didn't. They should also hang Sandusky but they won't. Oh, if I were King for a Day...

Yes, O'Brien may have laid a good foundation as you say but he left for the NFL a wee bit too soon, imo.

My real hatred in this topic is aimed primarily at the NCAA and not any one school, even Ohio State, the luckiest team in the country.

kingfin66
12-05-2016, 04:45 PM
Agree. If nothing else, Penn State should have replaced Washington.

This comment makes zero sense. Washington also won its conference, had just one loss, and was nationally ranked higher for the entire season. Penn state came on strong and had a great season, but there is no way they should have replaced Washington. Okay, maybe if Washington had just eked by Colorado, but let's not forget that Penn state had to come from behind to with a close one over Wisconsin. With just 4 teams in the playoffs, there will be other teams who have a case to be in. For this year at least, the committee got it right.

cj
12-05-2016, 04:52 PM

You leave out the head to head part though, which in year's past has been touted as huge. They didn't tie for the division. There are tiebreakers in place and they lost the first one.

Marshall Bennett
12-05-2016, 05:05 PM
That is the problem in a 4 team playoff - somebody is always going to get screwed.
I'd like a 6 team playoff format with the #1 and 2 AP ranked teams getting a 1st round bye. This is 2 additional teams and would probably put to rest any complaints that a team had a championship team but didn't get in.

Valuist
12-05-2016, 05:33 PM
The Big Ten tiebreaker is flawed. The head to head should NEVER preceed overall record. At least the committee got it right and took Ohio State, while Penn State will not be a part of the playoff.

cj
12-05-2016, 05:43 PM
The Big Ten tiebreaker is flawed. The head to head should NEVER preceed overall record. At least the committee got it right and took Ohio State, while Penn State will not be a part of the playoff.

Why would anyone use overall record to determine a conference championship? That would be encouraging teams to schedule nobodies like Baylor does. To the best of my knowledge not a single conference uses overall record as a main tiebreaker, if at all.

Valuist
12-05-2016, 05:54 PM
Why would anyone use overall record to determine a conference championship? That would be encouraging teams to schedule nobodies like Baylor does. To the best of my knowledge not a single conference uses overall record as a main tiebreaker, if at all.

I'm sure the Big Ten, in their hubris, didn't even account for the fact their leader could lose a non-conference game. How many times has a top 5 Ohio State or Michigan lost a non-conference game? IMO, the best team in the conference is Michigan, who destroyed Penn State by 39 points, beat Wisconsin easier than the margin indicated, and only lost to Ohio State in OT due to multiple questionable calls.

The problem with using head to head is too much weight is given to one game. At least in the NFL, divisional rivals play twice. In the NBA, its 4 times; MLB teams play divisional rivals 18-19 times.

cj
12-05-2016, 05:58 PM
I'm sure the Big Ten, in their hubris, didn't even account for the fact their leader could lose a non-conference game. How many times has a top 5 Ohio State or Michigan lost a non-conference game? IMO, the best team in the conference is Michigan, who destroyed Penn State by 39 points, beat Wisconsin easier than the margin indicated, and only lost to Ohio State in OT due to multiple questionable calls.

The problem with using head to head is too much weight is given to one game. At least in the NFL, divisional rivals play twice. In the NBA, its 4 times; MLB teams play divisional rivals 18-19 times.

I agree PSU isn't better than those two, but we aren't far off from the "committee" just picking four big names and letting them play. Forget everything else...the games don't matter any more. It is all about the eye test. That, to me, is garbage.

Zydeco
12-05-2016, 07:04 PM
I agree PSU isn't better than those two, but we aren't far off from the "committee" just picking four big names and letting them play. Forget everything else...the games don't matter any more. It is all about the eye test. That, to me, is garbage.

Totally agree! If Ohio Sate is in.. why play the games? Sorry Just Ralph(Columbus West). Me...(Columbus Walnut Ridge!)

zico20
12-05-2016, 10:24 PM
I'd like a 6 team playoff format with the #1 and 2 AP ranked teams getting a 1st round bye. This is 2 additional teams and would probably put to rest any complaints that a team had a championship team but didn't get in.

By the time this thread runs its course, there will be someone on here preaching a 16 team playoff. :D There has to be a limit, and four is it.

ElKabong
12-06-2016, 12:23 AM
The first bolded part I'll just say that Penn State beat Ohio State. And then they beat Wisconsin for the Big 10 title. Through these blood-shot eyes of mine, I see it that Penn State should have been named to the Playoff Final Four and not Ohio State.

Remember when head-to-head results were important and separated those teams that finished their seasons with the same record?? Plus, Ohio State struggled against a weak Michigan State team while Penn State beat them when the Spartans held a lot more swag.

The second bolded part ... I truly feel that Penn State should have shut down the entire football program for a few years after the Sandusky sex scandal. But they didn't. They should also hang Sandusky but they won't. Oh, if I were King for a Day...

Yes, O'Brien may have laid a good foundation as you say but he left for the NFL a wee bit too soon, imo.

My real hatred in this topic is aimed primarily at the NCAA and not any one school, even Ohio State, the luckiest team in the country.

Head to head doesn't trump overall record in most cases, and it didn't here. Not being argumentative.

Look, Texas whipped Oklahoma head to head in 2008 and somehow Oklahoma represented the big 12 in the natty game that year. Both teams had one loss, in conference. Texas kicked Oklahomas ass...didn't matter.

Best way to look at it is like tcu coach Gary Patterson from two years ago when Ohio state was gifted the fourth spot in the cfp..."that's what we get for losing a game in October"....iow, win out and you don't have to worry about it :)

ElKabong
12-06-2016, 12:32 AM
You leave out the head to head part though, which in year's past has been touted as huge. They didn't tie for the division. There are tiebreakers in place and they lost the first one.

College football has always been about total record, at least most of the time. That and strength of schedule. TOSU also had a better non conference win. I like that a one loss team is ahead of a two loss team

JustRalph
12-06-2016, 12:54 AM
Totally agree! If Ohio Sate is in.. why play the games? Sorry Just Ralph(Columbus West). Me...(Columbus Walnut Ridge!)

No sweat.......🤓👍

kingfin66
12-06-2016, 01:17 AM
By the time this thread runs its course, there will be someone on here preaching a 16 team playoff. :D There has to be a limit, and four is it.

I disagree. I believe that 8 teams is the sweet spot. That would cover the 5 major conference champs plus 3 "at large" teams. The at large teams could be determined by a formula similar to what the BCS did. The BCS was not perfect, but the formula did, for the most part, get the right teams most of the time. In fact, I really only recall one year (which one?) where it missed. There really needs to be a system in which the big 5 champs all get in.

zico20
12-06-2016, 05:59 PM
I disagree. I believe that 8 teams is the sweet spot. That would cover the 5 major conference champs plus 3 "at large" teams. The at large teams could be determined by a formula similar to what the BCS did. The BCS was not perfect, but the formula did, for the most part, get the right teams most of the time. In fact, I really only recall one year (which one?) where it missed. There really needs to be a system in which the big 5 champs all get in.

Okay, now we have someone with an 8 team playoff. Do I hear 16? Do you really believe that the conference champ should get a spot. That would render the whole season meaningless in some instances. A few years ago UCLA played for the conference championship with a 6-6 record. If they had won you would have put them in the playoff with six losses? What if they beat the number one team who was 12-0 on a bad call. That is not fair. I bet most people would disagree with you.

EasyGoer89
12-06-2016, 06:27 PM
Okay, now we have someone with an 8 team playoff. Do I hear 16? Do you really believe that the conference champ should get a spot. That would render the whole season meaningless in some instances. A few years ago UCLA played for the conference championship with a 6-6 record. If they had won you would have put them in the playoff with six losses? What if they beat the number one team who was 12-0 on a bad call. That is not fair. I bet most people would disagree with you.

Lets have a 64 team playoff, teams can play 2 or 3 games a week like the NCAABB does, lets separate the men from the boys.

elysiantraveller
12-06-2016, 06:27 PM
Its a very good year if you aren't a fan of the playoffs.

As a homer I can't say Michigan got screwed. We beat Iowa and we are likely in the Playoffs. I do think they are the best team in the country to have a hope of beating 'Bama though.

A few teams got jobbed fairly hard.

Hopefully they expand this to 8.

Zydeco
12-06-2016, 08:05 PM
No sweat.......🤓👍

lol :lol: By the way...Welcome back!

burnsy
12-06-2016, 10:45 PM

I know a lot of people would disagree. But that's why I'm not a big fan of college football. Its a convoluted bunch of crap IMO. People yelling over each other to (hype) and debate something that can be logically done right.

Funny, the NFL does it the way you say it should not be done and its tons better football and a better measurement of a champ. The 9-7 team even wins sometimes........over all comers! The season is the survival of the fittest. Many teams improve, others fall apart.....the 4 team system with all of these conference champs is a complete farce. Not that I really care all that much because I don't pay much attention for the fact I think the way they do it does not count for much because it is not even "football reality".

The other part I disagree with is your "bad call theory". If a team is 12-0 and they need a call to win a game vs. a 6-6.....they probably are getting beat straight up or playing poorly. So counting on a "call" has nothing to do with fairness at all. That's the problem with this whole affair. Football is proven on the grid iron at the end of the season.......the qualifying teams are 0-0 once the post season starts. I know I'm probably in the minority but I just think this whole deal sucks ass for football. I never cared for their other BS (BCS) crap either....its like the Sumo Wrestler skating in that commercial and the judges give him 10's. Just put the best 8 to 10 teams in there and duke it out. I'm willing to bet there will be more fans, more interested and it will get even bigger than it is. I may be the minority but there's many an NFL fan that laugh at this crap besides me.

I've heard the same umpteen arguments from umpteen talking heads on the shows where they basically say the same crap over and over and over again. Let the freaking teams decide. I guarantee the results will be more legitimate. Its just clear they want it to be a "political" F2ck fest!

kingfin66
12-06-2016, 11:54 PM
Lets have a 64 team playoff, teams can play 2 or 3 games a week like the NCAABB does, lets separate the men from the boys.

I will assume that you are not just being silly, but that you are trying to make a bigger point, and your point is well taken (I think): No matter how many teams there are, there will always be a next team or teams out who think that they deserve to be in. This will be true regardless of what multiple of teams are in a playoff.

kingfin66
12-07-2016, 12:04 AM

There actually is precedent for a 16-team playoff. It happens yearly in the FCS. I am definitely not advocating for it as (1) I do not think it is necessary to go that deep and (2) the regular season would need to be shortened to accommodate the extra games. This is not feasible give the size of the major conferences and the need to play 8 or 9 conference games.

I think you are putting too much focus on the issue of meaningful vs. meaningless. The playoff and bowl systems are designed to make money. Besides, situation like the one that you are referencing with UCLA are going to be more the exception than the rule, but certainly are possible given the divisional structure that we are now seeing in football conferences.

I'll bet that most would agree with me that more than four teams are needed for a national playoff. The composition of those teams would certainly be a source of much debate. I firmly believe that eight is the sweet spot and expect to see it within the next three years.

rastajenk
12-07-2016, 09:44 AM
The more teams you have in the playoffs, the less meaning the big regular season games have. If Michigan was one of a Final Eight after losing to OSU, then it becomes less of a big deal.

If Alabama had lost to Florida for some reason, I know it was practically inconceivable but just suppose: would Alabama still get one of the spots?

These conference championship games ARE the first round of the playoffs; losers shouldn't advance. We don't need them AND a quarterfinal round.

But I'm so old-fashioned I still think the old bowl alignments provided more than enough excitement with more better match-ups.

Marshall Bennett
12-07-2016, 12:26 PM
May call me old fashioned too because i never had an issue with coaches and sports writers voting for a champion. Occasionally there will be conflict of interest. The public will always find bias one way or another. The playoff system was suppose to eliminate hard feelings. It hasn't.
Had Alabama lost to Florida in a close game, chances are they would have been national champions anyway with or without playoffs. In the past coaches and sports writers would decide a champion. They are better educated on the sport than the public in general. Strength of schedules and performance to me is everything anyway.

LottaKash
12-07-2016, 03:38 PM
These conference championship games ARE the first round of the playoffs; losers shouldn't advance. We don't need them AND a quarterfinal round.

But I'm so old-fashioned I still think the old bowl alignments provided more than enough excitement with more better match-ups.

Ditto all that...

I was just fine with the old way as well...

EasyGoer89
12-07-2016, 11:12 PM
Its a very good year if you aren't a fan of the playoffs.

As a homer I can't say Michigan got screwed. We beat Iowa and we are likely in the Playoffs. I do think they are the best team in the country to have a hope of beating 'Bama though.

A few teams got jobbed fairly hard.

Hopefully they expand this to 8.

Mich should have won that game vs Ohio State, the guy didn't get the first down late in the game, you lost twice, once on the bad original spot and once on the non-overturn. Tough loss.

elysiantraveller
12-08-2016, 12:42 PM
Mich should have won that game vs Ohio State, the guy didn't get the first down late in the game, you lost twice, once on the bad original spot and once on the non-overturn. Tough loss.

The spot wasn't even my main issue with that game. There were a lot of in-game fouls that OSU got away with and the game tying drive was extended with a bogus Defensive PI call on a uncatchable ball. I can see the flag coming out in that case if a tight game was being called but after watching a lot of the replays later there was A LOT OSU got away with and we got marginal calls on. Not calling foul... just a sucky way for that game to go.

cj
12-08-2016, 05:48 PM

I watched that game and was rooting against Ohio State and I actually think they got the spot right. Certainly didn't see anything on replay that looked like it should be overturned.

maddog42
12-08-2016, 06:36 PM
I watched that game and was rooting against Ohio State and I actually think they got the spot right. Certainly didn't see anything on replay that looked like it should be overturned.

I felt the same way. The spot was at least very close to being correct. I was rooting for Michigan.

MutuelClerk
12-08-2016, 07:18 PM
Huge Michigan fan. We lost because Harbaugh started managing the clock late in the third quarter and playing not to lose. When you're on the road and don't make a first down in the fourth quarter don't blame the refs. Love Harbaugh, just think he mismanaged this game at the end.

tucker6
12-08-2016, 10:43 PM
I saw the same.

ElKabong
12-09-2016, 12:27 AM
The more teams you have in the playoffs, the less meaning the big regular season games have. .

True enough. In the 70s the winner of the Texas ou game in October was in line for a shot at a national title. Lose and you were out, when both were good. It was bigger than life, that entire week.

Then things changed, winning that game wasn't necessary. The game is still a rivalry, but even if both programs were what they once were, the game doesn't carry the weight it did

I love college football, can only tolerate the nfl. My wife is the opposite. She watches Saturday games with me and says " they sure do like drink the kool aid over their college ball don't they". And that's what it's always been about. Chris schenkels ' the color, the pageantry of college football' is what we all bought into fifty plus years ago. Still lives on, just in different forms.

ElKabong
01-03-2017, 12:16 AM
I'm shocked at what Oklahoma is doing to auburn right now. Auburn came in fired up (jaw jacking the Sooners, scoring on their first possession) but Ou has whipped the Tigers physically as well as throwing at will.

A 7 loss Texas team scored 45 points on Oklahoma. Auburn can't do a thing after the opening drive. This is a head scratcher

Speaking of Texas, we are supposed to name our off coordinator tomorrow, fueling speculation Lincoln Riley (ou off coordinator) is the new OC.

Can't see it myself, but the new guy has to be a spread guy since Herman is a spread coach. Looking the teams that played today (timing being that the announcement is tomorrow) Riley is the logical guy unless we're taking someone from the Florida staff.

cj
01-03-2017, 09:05 AM
I'm shocked at what Oklahoma is doing to auburn right now. Auburn came in fired up (jaw jacking the Sooners, scoring on their first possession) but Ou has whipped the Tigers physically as well as throwing at will.

A 7 loss Texas team scored 45 points on Oklahoma. Auburn can't do a thing after the opening drive. This is a head scratcher

Speaking of Texas, we are supposed to name our off coordinator tomorrow, fueling speculation Lincoln Riley (ou off coordinator) is the new OC.

Can't see it myself, but the new guy has to be a spread guy since Herman is a spread coach. Looking the teams that played today (timing being that the announcement is tomorrow) Riley is the logical guy unless we're taking someone from the Florida staff.

Obviously you are no OU fan, nor am I, but since I live here I watch the games and have been to a few. OU improved a lot over the course of the year.

They are a much better team now than in September/October. They had tons of injuries on defense and it took time for the young, inexperienced fill ins to figure it out. Obviously they have the talent.

ElKabong
01-03-2017, 10:52 AM
Tim Beck (Ohio State) named OC at Texas. Not sure why the delay, tOSU played NY eve. Disappointing hires at OC and DC

Rumor in the link below has JT Barrett xferring to UT. Don't see the sense in this, Buechele is a soph with a future, Erhlinger is a frosh we can't wait to play.

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/ohio-state-football-jt-barrett-to-transfer-after-2016-122216

PhantomOnTour
01-03-2017, 10:57 AM
Just heard that Arkansas suspended their TE from the Belk Bowl last week because he was caught shoplifting...from a Belk department store that had given each player a $450 shopping voucher
:faint: Good Lord

ElKabong
01-03-2017, 11:00 AM
Obviously you are no OU fan, nor am I, but since I live here I watch the games and have been to a few. OU improved a lot over the course of the year.

They are a much better team now than in September/October. They had tons of injuries on defense and it took time for the young, inexperienced fill ins to figure it out. Obviously they have the talent.

Ou stuffed Auburn's running game. Auburn led the SEC in rushing offense. Ou shut them down, physically dominated Auburn. DOMINATED them

I haven't been impressed with Ou to be honest as a *national power* (I've seen most of their games on tv, likely 9 or 10), but last night they were dominant against a defense that held most teams under 20 points. Georgia and LSU scored less than 14 points on Auburn...Ou bent them over for 35 big ones...and stuffed Auburn's vaunted power running game, to boot

ElKabong
01-03-2017, 11:05 AM
Just heard that Arkansas suspended their TE from the Belk Bowl last week because he was caught shoplifting...from a Belk department store that had given each player a $450 shopping voucher
:faint: Good Lord

that was quite a joke on hornfans.com and tigerdroppings as well. Funny stuff :) KId actually has a future in the nfl, will prob cost him a few slots down in the draft. But the Arkansas jokes have been flying high on this shoplifting thing :D

ElKabong
01-03-2017, 11:11 AM
re: Beck to UT, not finalized yet. Either the local espn radio station is ahead of the game, or they jumped the gun

http://www.scout.com/college/texas/story/1742708-sources-herman-to-hire-tim-beck-as-texas-oc

LSU won out on this deal by keeping Aranda as DC. Their OC hire looks good as well

PhantomOnTour
01-03-2017, 11:32 AM
Auburn lost their starting QB...Franklin (the backup) was in a documentary i saw on Netflix called Last Chance U.
Good show

ElKabong
01-03-2017, 11:45 AM
Auburn lost their starting QB...Franklin (the backup) was in a documentary i saw on Netflix called Last Chance U.
Good show

my brother texted me last night about that. I have to get a hold of it. Something about an "eligibilty specialist" at a Mississippi Junior College and Franklin III

ElKabong
01-03-2017, 11:50 AM

Something I saw on hornfans.com just now, was posted by an Oklahoma fan ("slowrider"). No way I think the BIG 12 has the best defenses in the ncaa, and I don't put much stock in bowl games b/c some teams are just plain flat going in.... But I thought this was interesting nonetheless

Average points allowed per conference in bowl games:

Big 12- 19.8
ACC- 23.7
BIG 10- 24.5
PAC 12- 26.3
SEC-34.2 (ETA, quick math says this should read 25 ppg)

PhantomOnTour
01-03-2017, 11:54 AM
my brother texted me last night about that. I have to get a hold of it. Something about an "eligibilty specialist" at a Mississippi Junior College and Franklin III
Kelly, starting QB at Ole Miss this season also went to that school, East Miss Comm College in Scooba, Mississippi

ElKabong
01-03-2017, 12:03 PM
Charlie wanted to go the JUCO route, got a few guys from that pipeline. Herman I'm sure will do the same

I know I'm stuck in the dark ages, but I'd like to see a legitimate standard set, nationally. Trying not to go on a 20 paragraph rant, but a lot of the kids we've had come to Austin since 2000 or so, I wonder how they could have been admitted

cj
01-03-2017, 04:15 PM
Tim Beck (Ohio State) named OC at Texas. Not sure why the delay, tOSU played NY eve. Disappointing hires at OC and DC

Rumor in the link below has JT Barrett xferring to UT. Don't see the sense in this, Buechele is a soph with a future, Erhlinger is a frosh we can't wait to play.

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/ohio-state-football-jt-barrett-to-transfer-after-2016-122216

Wow, not sure what he did to get the job.

ElKabong
01-03-2017, 04:28 PM
Wow, not sure what he did to get the job.

got shut out vs Clemson, i guess...

He didn't call plays at OHSU, but still... Expected more than this

EasyGoer89
01-04-2017, 10:17 AM
Anyone think lane kiffin is on the phone to the coaching staff of Clemson and do we think that might be the difference?

JustRalph
01-04-2017, 11:59 AM
I hope JT Barrett transfers. He can't hit the broad side of a barn with a pass anymore. Everything he throws is high. Indictive of a sore shoulder.

There were two OSU teams this year.....the shitty one, and the one who played well for two quarters a game. Hopefully because they are so young.

OSU suffering a huge loss with Malik Hooker going pro :bang:

ElKabong
01-04-2017, 04:02 PM
I hope JT Barrett transfers. He can't hit the broad side of a barn with a pass anymore. Everything he throws is high. Indictive of a sore shoulder.

There were two OSU teams this year.....the shitty one, and the one who played well for two quarters a game. Hopefully because they are so young.

OSU suffering a huge loss with Malik Hooker going pro :bang:

Just going by what I hear.... The o line was very young this season. Is that right? If so, could times are up ahead. I heard in mid season that Ohio state had the second youngest starting lineup. The youngest was Texas... Ohio state was a top ten team with their youth, Texas was a joke

So I think the future in Columbus is bright.

Side note, Beck and our new rb coach from the Bears (zeke Elliott is giving the rb coach major props for his time as rb coach for tOSU) are known as big time stellar recruiters. Hopefully we can reel in those two blue chips from here that committed to the Buckeyes :)

NJ Stinks
01-09-2017, 08:38 PM
I've got Clemson +6 and +6.5. Also have over 51.

Alabama looked mighty good on that first drive.

ElKabong
01-10-2017, 12:28 AM
Clemson just beat Alabama with NO running game. Watson is the best player in cfb, what a clutch performance

And seeing Saban get clowned on the on sides kick was the icing on the cake

rastajenk
01-10-2017, 12:29 AM
Longest useless final second of a game I've ever seen; trying to be like basketball, I presume.

ElKabong
01-10-2017, 12:31 AM
I've got Clemson +6 and +6.5. Also have over 51.

Alabama looked mighty good on that first drive.

Congrats man, go cash in, in style !

PhantomOnTour
01-10-2017, 12:33 AM
Fantastic game...Clemson has some playmakers, that guy Williams will be rich one day.

cj
01-10-2017, 12:37 AM
Clemson wins it for America!

thaskalos
01-10-2017, 12:44 AM
Dabo Swinney over Nick Saban, anyday! :ThmbUp:

Grits
01-10-2017, 12:51 AM
Great game, right down to the last second. Fine win for Clemson.

Coach Saban looked to be really talking to himself, fast and furious, at game's end on the sidelines. Might wanna be careful with that sorta thing, Coach... ;)

MutuelClerk
01-10-2017, 12:55 AM
Saban is kind of like Belichick. Really good at what they do. But LOVE to see them lose.

NJ Stinks
01-10-2017, 12:56 AM
Congrats man, go cash in, in style !

Thanks, Elkabong. :cool: It really did come down to having faith in Watson vs. Hurts. But that Alabama defense is nasty. Good and nasty. The entire Clemson offensive team deserves a lot of credit for getting back up after taking so many brutal hits.

ElKabong
01-10-2017, 12:58 AM
Dabo Swinney over Nick Saban, anyday! :ThmbUp:

At some point Saban is going to retire. Swinney would love nothing better than to win a natty for Bama. Question is, do they ask him when the time comes. The style of offense he's run isn't what the fan base would fall in love with

I'll say this much. No way you can follow Saban and not get canned quickly. That fan base is spoiled to the hilt. I remember sports talk radio on 1080am in Dallas, Bama fans calling for gene stallings head 9 months after winning an MNC in 1992... They're worse than Texas fans and alums.

Dahoss2002
01-10-2017, 02:57 AM
Helluva performance by Watson. EK....that last drive was eerily similar to Vince Young's winning drive against USC in that great title game. You are spot-on about the bama fanbase. I flipped over to the SEC channel where Finebaum and Marcus Spears took a couple calls and could not believe some of the bammers critique of Saban. Great season for both teams. Someone had to lose.

sammy the sage
01-10-2017, 08:33 AM
Clemson scouted the big 12 officials...realized ILLEGAL pick plays not called there...small red-board...had Clemson...just don't like the way it was done...

barahona44
01-10-2017, 09:02 AM
At some point Saban is going to retire. Swinney would love nothing better than to win a natty for Bama. Question is, do they ask him when the time comes. The style of offense he's run isn't what the fan base would fall in love with

I'll say this much. No way you can follow Saban and not get canned quickly. That fan base is spoiled to the hilt. I remember sports talk radio on 1080am in Dallas, Bama fans calling for gene stallings head 9 months after winning an MNC in 1992... They're worse than Texas fans and alums.
You never want to be the guy following the legend.You want to be the guy following the guy following the legend.

FakeNameChanged
01-10-2017, 09:56 AM
VT gave it a shot. Clemson has a chance to beat ALabama, imo. Clemson has always been a tough team for PSU to beat. It's hard to understand how Urban always seems to get around the deal that Conference winners will get into these championships. And I think Urban is a great coach.

Finally gets it done.

ElKabong
01-10-2017, 01:19 PM
Helluva performance by Watson. EK....that last drive was eerily similar to Vince Young's winning drive against USC in that great title game. You are spot-on about the bama fanbase. I flipped over to the SEC channel where Finebaum and Marcus Spears took a couple calls and could not believe some of the bammers critique of Saban. Great season for both teams. Someone had to lose.

I watched most of the game on the sec network. They had finebaum, booger mc, and greg McElroy doing the commentary play by play. I thought booger was going to punch out McElroy a couple of times lol.

Cant stand herbstreit so it was a good option.

Finebaums show ought to be entertaining today, hopfully Phyllis from mulga phones in :)

rastajenk
01-10-2017, 03:04 PM
I did too, El K. I enjoyed them last year with Bret Bielema, so I was hoping they'd be at it again this time. Good mix of coachspeak and storytelling without having to actually "call the game" in any traditional sense. McElwain was a little too technical early, but he warmed up to the task eventually. McElroy was perceptive, and seemed to have fun. Booger is enthusiastic. Good stuff.

NJ Stinks
01-11-2017, 05:43 PM
Clemson scouted the big 12 officials...realized ILLEGAL pick plays not called there...small red-board...had Clemson...just don't like the way it was done...

I know how you feel, Sammy, it looked like a pick play to me to. Here's an article that claims otherwise.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2017/01/10/yes-clemson-ran-a-pick-play-to-beat-alabama-but-it-was-a-legal-play/?tid=pm_sports_pop&utm_term=.b3ccf4b8d7fb

ElKabong
01-11-2017, 07:46 PM
I know how you feel, Sammy, it looked like a pick play to me to. Here's an article that claims otherwise.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2017/01/10/yes-clemson-ran-a-pick-play-to-beat-alabama-but-it-was-a-legal-play/?tid=pm_sports_pop&utm_term=.b3ccf4b8d7fb

I think it's a matter of time before the pick or rub rule is changed in some fashion in the next two years. Right now a CB is really at a disadvantage.

horses4courses
01-11-2017, 08:21 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C16QFilUcAAvtOh.jpg

ReplayRandall
01-11-2017, 09:01 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C16QFilUcAAvtOh.jpg

After you paid that lucky bettor their 100K, how much did they tip you?..:cool:

horses4courses
01-11-2017, 09:13 PM
After you paid that lucky bettor their 100K, how much did they tip you?..:cool:

Not my gig, RR.....different house, different line of work.
Besides, you're dealing with upper management here, my friend. ;)
Gratuities not accepted.

ReplayRandall
01-11-2017, 09:31 PM
Not my gig, RR.....different house, different line of work.
Besides, you're dealing with upper management here, my friend. ;)
Gratuities not accepted.

Well I've been retired from Caesars for about 20 years, my friend, and you work for one cheap-ass joint..:cool:......Congrats, if that's your ticket, surprised you would show the bar code, must already have been branded/cashed.

PhantomOnTour
01-11-2017, 09:39 PM
Well I've been retired from Caesars for about 20 years, my friend, and you work for one cheap-ass joint..:cool:......Congrats, if that's your ticket, surprised you would show the bar code, must already have been branded/cashed.
Doesn't the notation at the bottom of the ticket indicate it was cashed this morning (Jan 11th) at 9:01am?

ReplayRandall
01-11-2017, 09:43 PM
Doesn't the notation at the bottom of the ticket indicate it was cashed this morning (Jan 11th) at 9:01am?

Look at the event date, doesn't it say 1/11/17?....The event was played on the 9th, the whole ticket is skewed and not uniform, looks like a photo-shop overlay of a composite ticket....

PhantomOnTour
01-11-2017, 09:47 PM
Look at the event date, doesn't it say 1/11/17?....The event was played on the 10th, the whole ticket is skewed and not uniform, looks like a photo-shop overlay of a composite ticket....
The event was played on the 9th actually...maybe it's a fake, who knows. Ticket indicates it was bought on Aug 2

barahona44
01-11-2017, 09:48 PM
It has" 02Aug2016" printed in the middle

Edit. P.O.T. beat me with that info.

ReplayRandall
01-11-2017, 09:50 PM
The event was played on the 9th actually...maybe it's a fake, who knows. Ticket indicates it was bought on Aug 2

It's funny looking, kind of faded in spots....BTW, I changed the event date at the same time you posted.

horses4courses
01-11-2017, 10:09 PM
The bet was placed at the Hyatt on the north shore of Lake Tahoe.
Like so many casinos in Nevada, they lease space to the book
operators, William Hill. They are "fast food" version race/sports books,
but I'm glad to see they would take a future bet to lose close to 6 figures.
I doubt Caesars/Harrah's would do that, unless it's for a strong casino player.

NJ Stinks
01-12-2017, 12:04 AM
I won't be able to brag about a future bet ever again!

What a win! :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: