PDA

View Full Version : Aqueduct: Saturday, December 3, 2016

Teach
12-03-2016, 12:01 PM
Race One:

:7: Consumerconfidence is my choice in the opener. Yet, the question does remain: Can this Quality Road-sired colt perform on the main? Heretofore, all his starts have been on the lawn. Mechanicsville’s own, Chad Brown, has decided to try him on the South Ozone, NY dirt. Will he respond? As Shakespeare (not the turfster) once said, “…that is the question.” Frankly, there have also been gate issues (off a step slow in his last). Yet, this colt does draw outside which affords him and his jockey, Joel Rosario, the opportunity to see what’s going on…inside. Does he take to the dirt? Does he break alertly? If he does… Oh, he’s been on the shelf for a while. Yet, his November 17 “bullet” work was par excellence. Other :6: , :4: , :2: (watch the board).

Race Two:

:3: Vilma draws in as in MTO in a race that has been taken off the turf and will now be run at one mile on the “Big A’s” main track. This Broken Vow-bred chestnut gelding has been the model of consistency in main track routes. Yet he has been the classic “money burner” as he has gone off the chalk in his last two only to finish second on both occasions. I ask: Is the third time a charm? I’m gonna to take a shot that he can spring the upset. The gelding’s trainer, Linda Rice, has been as “hot as a petardo” on the 4th of July. Others: :10: , :7: , :5:

Race Three:

:6: Splendid Gold is a nicely-bred filly who loves both the Aqueduct oval and the 6-panels sprint distance. You can add to the mix the riding skills of “The King of Philadelphia,” Liston, LA’s own, Kendrick Carmouche. Carmouche is quite adept at “booting” home winners at the six-panels distance. This Brad Cox trainee has faced better. Cox does very well in claiming races; his 30% comes from a very large sampling. This Mineshaft-bred 4 year-old filly has graced the tote in over 50% of her lifetime tries (4 for 5 at six furlongs distance). Others: :5: , :4: , :1:

Race Four:

I must state, unequivocally, that I like the breeding on this first-time starter. I will add that I’m partial to Cozzene-bred turf horses. Obviously, that doesn’t mean, automatically, that this 2 year-old grey filly, :12: Sophie Germain, wins. Yet, at a price, a chance. Chad Brown-trained horses are usually ready. Brown does well with both with horses making turf starts and debut grass efforts. “El Dominicano,” Joel Rosario, is in the irons. I might add that the breeding suggest he can get the distance. Others: :4: , :8: , :2:

Race Five:

:4: Monte Man surprised as a 10-1 shot in his last against slightly weaker. Today’s slight class hike for n2L sprinters shouldn’t prove too imposing for this John Terranova II trainee. This 3 year-old bay gelding has been competitive on the dirt. If all goes well, Kendrick Carmouche should have this More Than Ready-bred gelding closing strongly in the stretch. Oh, I should be mention that John Terranova does very well with horses that won their previous race. Finally, this gelding is moving up by virtue of his last-race win; yet he’s certainly capable of making it two straight. Others: :7: , :5: , :1:

Race Six:

I’m going to take a chance that :1: Whitmore is ready. This Pleasant Colony-bred chestnut gelding was last seen at Churchill Downs on the first Saturday in May in the Kentucky Derby. This Scat Daddy-bred 3 year-old was in the hunt early; yet he faded miserably in the race’s closing stages and finished well up the track. Well, he’s been on the shelf now for about 7 months. His trainer and part-owner, CD-based Ron Moquett, must feel that it’s time to bring this gelding out of “moth balls” and see what he can do in a pari-mutuel race; in this case an optional claimer. The big question that most “punters” must be thinking: Is this gelding ready for his return to the races? I believe that if he’s ready, this gelding can be a force. He’s proven in the past that he can win at this distance. In fact, both his pari-mutuel victories have come at six panels. Others: :6: , :5: , :2:

Race Seven:

:2: Tricked Up is my choice in this one-mile turf allowance n1x. This highly-priced Distorted Humor-bred colt has finished first and second in his two pari-mutuel route turf tries. This colt should benefit from his inside starting post to mount a hedge-skimming trip. He should be in a perfect stalking position that allows him to pounce at the top of the stretch. The most capable Manny Franco is in the irons for trainer Chad Brown. Yes, this colt has been away from the races for nearly 4 months; yet his morning work-tab has been very good. Brown does very well with horses that have been on the shelf. Others: :7: , :10: , :1:

Race Eight:

In the Grade III Go for Wand Stakes to be contested over the distance of one mile for a purse of $250,000 I’m going to try to spring an upset with a distaffer that I feel is a value play, :7: High Ridge Road. Admittedly, this Quality Road-sired bay filly has not competed against the same competition as some of the other fillies and mares entered in this race. Yet, of one thing I’m sure…she can get the distance. In fact, this 4 year-old is a perfect 3 for 3 at eight panels. Furthermore, the filly’s trainer, Linda Rice, does very well with horses entered in graded stakes. If the early speed ties up, this filly will be waiting in the wings to pick up the pieces. Although there’s been a lengthy layoff, a recent “bullet” work signals readiness. Others: :3: , :4: , :5:

Race Nine:

In the finale, a race that has been taken off the turf and will be run on the main over the distance of one-mile, my pick is: :11: Emiliana’s Hope. Yes, racing fans and pundits, this is the proverbial “shot in the dark”. Yet, this Street Cry-bred filly wasn't that rich in turf breeding to begin with. Therefore, I feel that this 2 year-old may be able to handle the main. Admittedly, she didn’t do well in her one foray on the main, but that one was on a sloppy track; thus, there is a plausible excuse. What I’m leading up to is that I don’t have that much of a clue. Yet, this horse has a shot, quite possibly at a price. Others: :10: , :3: , :2: