PDA

View Full Version : Russell Westbrook

Robert Fischer
11-29-2016, 01:39 PM
averaging a triple double

Robert Fischer
11-29-2016, 05:17 PM
Checked him out with a very critical eye.
I was surprised/impressed by how well he is passing the ball.
Genuinely playing great basketball.

The one thing I can find to quibble over, is the lack of general competition among teammates for defensive rebounds. Most teams have Forwards and Centers grabbing more defensive rebounds.

First the 'negative' thinking - Will opposing teams/players who really crash the offensive boards, out-rebound Westbrook?
(Statistically in a small sample using caveman stats, OKC actually rebounds relatively well as a team this season). Still a potential matchup issue.

Positive thinking - He grabs the rebound and is immediately in 'attack mode' with 5 players threatening the defense. His Triple Double games have a few assists and buckets going 'coast to coast'. Defenses have to constantly respect that.

Westbrook has improved his 3 point shooting this year as well. So important.

A little bit of an odd comparison, but his passion and energy right now remind me of Dennis Rodman, only at a skill position.

We are looking at a legitimate MVP candidate.

cj
11-29-2016, 09:06 PM
Checked him out with a very critical eye.
I was surprised/impressed by how well he is passing the ball.
Genuinely playing great basketball.

The one thing I can find to quibble over, is the lack of general competition among teammates for defensive rebounds. Most teams have Forwards and Centers grabbing more defensive rebounds.

First the 'negative' thinking - Will opposing teams/players who really crash the offensive boards, out-rebound Westbrook?
(Statistically in a small sample using caveman stats, OKC actually rebounds relatively well as a team this season). Still a potential matchup issue.

Positive thinking - He grabs the rebound and is immediately in 'attack mode' with 5 players threatening the defense. His Triple Double games have a few assists and buckets going 'coast to coast'. Defenses have to constantly respect that.

Westbrook has improved his 3 point shooting this year as well. So important.

A little bit of an odd comparison, but his passion and energy right now remind me of Dennis Rodman, only at a skill position.

We are looking at a legitimate MVP candidate.

The Thunder have designed their rebounding to be a team game. The bigs box out and the others crash hard. It has worked for them for years, no one player being a big rebounder but the team high up in the NBA team rankings. Westbrook gets so many because he is a superior athlete.

He is a joy to watch this year. I feel like every home game, win or lose, I get value for my entertainment dollar.

Robert Fischer
11-29-2016, 09:34 PM
He's the most entertaining player in the league right now.

FakeNameChanged
11-30-2016, 09:21 AM
Been hearing for a couple years that Westbrook may be the best athlete in any sport right now.

cj
11-30-2016, 02:59 PM
Been hearing for a couple years that Westbrook may be the best athlete in any sport right now.

Hard to really disagree. His speed, jumping ability and power is unbelievable. Add in his unbelievable will and it is hard to imagine a better athlete.

Robert Fischer
11-30-2016, 05:50 PM
vs Washington , tonight 8pm EST

cj
11-30-2016, 07:24 PM
vs Washington , tonight 8pm EST

I'm looking forward to giving Scott Brooks a big ovation tonight. He was great for OKC even if he probably stayed a year too long IMO. He has his flaws as a coach like they all do, but he is a great person that is missed.

cj
12-01-2016, 11:05 AM
Russ played well last night but just couldn't get anything to drop, mostly in the paint where is usually money. Looked like it was going to be a "bad game" triple double. Then, he hit the game tying three late and simply exploded in overtime.

The point guard did everything, including a huge rebound - putback late in the 4th and another one early in OT that totally demoralized Washington. He simply does things no other player can dream of doing.

Was a really nice welcome back for Brooks. OKC fans gave him all the respect he deserved and more. I just hope they don't do that for KD. :) I know I won't.

cj
12-03-2016, 12:08 PM
Sunday is going to be fabulous, get to see Russ and The Brow on the same floor. An argument could be made they are the two best players in the game right now.

Robert Fischer
12-03-2016, 09:39 PM
if i'm reading correctly, the Brow has never had a career Triple Double?, but has put up some awesome stat-stuffing games:

36/14REB/9BLOCKS/7ASSISTS (1 block , 3 assists away from a quadruple-double...)
25/10REB/4BLK/6STL/4ASSTS
28/10REB/4BLK/4STL/4ASSTS
39/13REB/8BLOCKS
26/17REB/9BLOCKS (1 block away from 3D!)
59/20REBS

Last guy I remember capable of those type of stats was a prime Hakeem Olajuwon.

cj
12-04-2016, 04:49 PM
if i'm reading correctly, the Brow has never had a career Triple Double?, but has put up some awesome stat-stuffing games:

36/14REB/9BLOCKS/7ASSISTS (1 block , 3 assists away from a quadruple-double...)
25/10REB/4BLK/6STL/4ASSTS
28/10REB/4BLK/4STL/4ASSTS
39/13REB/8BLOCKS
26/17REB/9BLOCKS (1 block away from 3D!)
59/20REBS

Last guy I remember capable of those type of stats was a prime Hakeem Olajuwon.

A little tough for him to get 10 assists, probably the blocks is the way to go. I remember Serge Ibaka getting a triple double with blocks for the Thunder.

Robert Fischer
12-04-2016, 09:48 PM
5 in a row after the win tonight.

28pts 17REBs 12Assists

not the most efficient 3D in history (10 turnovers, and only 1 Offensive Rebound)

still, he has been putting on a show, and winning.

5 in a row is a LOT of 3Ds!

nba record = Wilt the stilt Chamberlain: 9 in a row

up next = Oscar Robertson, MJ's : 7 in a row

cj
12-05-2016, 12:05 PM
I would guess half those turnovers were not Russ's fault, but I'd have to watch again. He was the best player on the floor last night as usual. Davis is special but needs help since he doesn't control the ball.

Robert Fischer
12-05-2016, 02:09 PM
I would guess half those turnovers were not Russ's fault, but I'd have to watch again. He was the best player on the floor last night as usual. Davis is special but needs help since he doesn't control the ball.

I haven't seen enough of Davis.
My impression is that he isn't a 'Shaq', that rare big that carries a franchise between his dominance, and the media/advertisement dollar and excitement that drives situations where a contending team 'must' be built around him.

Those 'Brow' numbers are some Hakeem-like stats at times and the 'Dream' was a HOF player with a few years of that kind of dominance.

Good test tonight, For Westbrook and OKC 7:30ET at Atlanta
Hawks are favored by 3...

cj
12-05-2016, 09:08 PM
Halfway through the 3rd Quarter and the Triple Double question has already been answered. ✔

cj
12-05-2016, 10:08 PM
Halfway through the 3rd Quarter and the Triple Double question has already been answered. ✔

Beat the Hawks on the road on the second night of a back to back: ✔

Russ: 32 points, 12 assists, 13 rebounds (4 TOs)

Robert Fischer
12-06-2016, 01:22 AM
Beat the Hawks on the road on the second night of a back to back: ✔

Russ: 32 points, 12 assists, 13 rebounds (4 TOs)

He carried them to victory tonight. That was against the spread.
6 in a row , 6 wins.

If he can get a 3D on Friday vs the Rockets, he'll be tied with Michael Jordan and Oscar Robertson for 2nd most consecutive Triple Doubles of all time

cj
12-07-2016, 10:28 AM
I meant to post this the other day, possibly the worst foul call in NBA history. Korver fouls himself by running into his own man, yet Russ was called for a foul.

https://vine.co/v/5PDlvjd6dVp

Valuist
12-08-2016, 12:07 PM
Have to think he's a lock for MVP. Durant and Curry will take away scoring potential for each other. Lebron will coast thru the regular season. Harden is a joke. If one is holding an MVP bet ticket on Westbrook, gotta love the chances of cashing.

cj
12-08-2016, 01:57 PM
Have to think he's a lock for MVP. Durant and Curry will take away scoring potential for each other. Lebron will coast thru the regular season. Harden is a joke. If one is holding an MVP bet ticket on Westbrook, gotta love the chances of cashing.

They need to keep winning and make the playoffs and he'll win it. Big hurdle coming up in January. The Thunder play a huge amount of road games, 12 of 15, and many against tough teams. If they can navigate that stretch at 7-8, maybe even 6-9, they'll be a top 5 or 6 seed and he should be a lock.

cj
12-09-2016, 02:17 PM
Get to see Russ and Harden tonight in person tonight.

Tee
12-09-2016, 04:57 PM
Get to see Russ and Harden tonight in person tonight.

I'll have to settle for watching it on the tv. :(

Don't forget you get to see your other favorite player Patrick Beverley as well. :D

Robert Fischer
12-10-2016, 11:43 AM
7 in a row.

cj
12-10-2016, 12:00 PM
7 in a row.

Not one of his better games in the streak but his teammates were also chucking up bricks. Houston used the perfect strategy in ignoring Roberson to clog up the paint on Russ.

Boston coming up next, will be tough one.

cj
12-11-2016, 09:48 PM
The streak is over, but a new winning streak began. Russ was fabulous.

cj
12-17-2016, 10:47 PM
This was incredible, capped off a 22 assist game (and 26 points, 11 rebounds)

Osxe1GW8AKw

Robert Fischer
12-18-2016, 03:46 PM
This was incredible, capped off a 22 assist game (and 26 points, 11 rebounds)

Osxe1GW8AKw

Wow. One of the best highlights we will see this year.

Valuist
12-20-2016, 07:29 PM
He may not quite yet be at MVP level, but other than Lebron, how many players in the East are better than Giannis Antetokounmpo of Milwaukee?

HoofedInTheChest
12-20-2016, 08:02 PM
He may not quite yet be at MVP level, but other than Lebron, how many players in the East are better than Giannis Antetokounmpo of Milwaukee?
DeMar DeRozan ;)

cj
12-20-2016, 11:00 PM

Not many, maybe Kyrie right now, maybe Paul George, that is about it.

cj
12-20-2016, 11:01 PM
By the way, Russ screwed over by refs last night, got blatantly fouled twice at end of the game and neither called. Not that it matters, but NBA Last Two Minute Report confirmed both.

Valuist
12-21-2016, 12:48 PM
According to Basketball Reference, there's a total of 7 players in the top 16 in both offensive and defensive win shares: Antetokoumpo, Butler, Durant, Gobert, Leonard, Paul and Westbrook. Lebron was conspicuous by his absence from the defensive top 20.

cj
12-21-2016, 12:58 PM
According to Basketball Reference, there's a total of 7 players in the top 16 in both offensive and defensive win shares: Antetokoumpo, Butler, Durant, Gobert, Leonard, Paul and Westbrook. Lebron was conspicuous by his absence from the defensive top 20.

Lebron is kind of coasting. I watched the game last night, and when the game was on the line, he made a couple great defensive plays. I'm sure he's lost a step but he is still so big and strong he can lock down on almost anyone when needed.

Valuist
12-21-2016, 01:33 PM
Lebron is kind of coasting. I watched the game last night, and when the game was on the line, he made a couple great defensive plays. I'm sure he's lost a step but he is still so big and strong he can lock down on almost anyone when needed.

Agreed, no reason to go all out every minute of all 82 games. I think Curry is trying to be more "efficient" in his energy distribution on the offensive end. Of course adding Durant takes a huge load off his shoulders but I don't think he minds.

Robert Fischer
12-21-2016, 06:02 PM
Agreed, no reason to go all out every minute of all 82 games. I think Curry is trying to be more "efficient" in his energy distribution on the offensive end. Of course adding Durant takes a huge load off his shoulders but I don't think he minds.

From afar, it seems like Durant is starting to mesh with Golden State?
I haven't really focused on the NBA much this season yet.

I wasn't a big fan of adding a piece like Durant to a team that I felt was playing an amazing team game.

Valuist
12-21-2016, 06:09 PM

I wasn't a big fan of adding a piece like Durant to a team that I felt was playing an amazing team game.

Yes, he is fitting in great. Some originally felt it might hinder Curry, but that's not the case at all. I also knew Durant was good, but he's even better than I thought. Especially on the defensive end.

cj
12-21-2016, 07:39 PM

What is there to fitting in? You have three of the best shooters ever, the best ball handler, etc, etc. I laughed at people that thought this team wouldn't completely dominate the NBA. I still enjoy watching non-Warriors games, but anything with them is a joke. It is like all the good players at the Y teaming up early on and keeping the court all day. I mean, sure, they are good, but who really cares? I'm not impressed. They should never really lose a game.

Robert Fischer
12-21-2016, 08:38 PM
What is there to fitting in? You have three of the best shooters ever, the best ball handler, etc, etc. I laughed at people that thought this team wouldn't completely dominate the NBA. I still enjoy watching non-Warriors games, but anything with them is a joke. It is like all the good players at the Y teaming up early on and keeping the court all day. I mean, sure, they are good, but who really cares? I'm not impressed. They should never really lose a game.

well, yea.

I mean, I thought a 90rated team running at 99% efficiency, was cooler than a 100rated team running at 90% efficiency.

I wondered if Durant would have a 'Carmelo Anthony' effect on the team, where he would want to slow down the ball, and need his shots.

cj
12-24-2016, 11:12 PM
Exactly.

No reason not to run like normal. Nba playing games on 25th nobody seems to have a problem with that but if tracks want to open (like they normally do on Sunday's) all of a sudden people can't stand it.

If it were profitable they'd probably still be running. I'll be at the Thunder game tomorrow letting Russ entertain me. Greatest point guard we've ever seen :)

arw629
12-24-2016, 11:30 PM
If it were profitable they'd probably still be running. I'll be at the Thunder game tomorrow letting Russ entertain me. Greatest point guard we've ever seen :)

He's leading the league in turnovers and shooting an abysmal .430 from the field but the triple doubles are cool...he's Allen Iverson on steroids

cj
12-24-2016, 11:48 PM
He's leading the league in turnovers and shooting an abysmal .430 from the field but the triple doubles are cool...he's Allen Iverson on steroids

LOL...watch the games, you don't know what you are missing. Dude is the ultimate competitor. Continue in the Westbrook thread in Sports section, my bad for mentioning in horse sections.

arw629
12-25-2016, 12:32 AM
LOL...watch the games, you don't know what you are missing. Dude is the ultimate competitor. Continue in the Westbrook thread in Sports section, my bad for mentioning in horse sections.

Why do you assume I don't watch the games?

EasyGoer89
12-25-2016, 12:34 AM
Russ on another level no way I'd argue he isn't the best ever. Merry x mas CJ enjoy the game tomorrow!

arw629
12-25-2016, 12:37 AM
Russ on another level no way I'd argue he isn't the best ever. Merry x mas CJ enjoy the game tomorrow!

You guys are out of your mind ...his style is do it all at 100 mph but he doesn't make his team better and doesn't win on the big stage ....he's got his team in line for the 6th seed in the west but then what? I'm a big Cavs fan and the real game tomorrow comes on at 2:30

EasyGoer89
12-25-2016, 12:56 AM
You guys are out of your mind ...his style is do it all at 100 mph but he doesn't make his team better and doesn't win on the big stage ....he's got his team in line for the 6th seed in the west but then what? I'm a big Cavs fan and the real game tomorrow comes on at 2:30

Are you suggesting he's not a great player?

arw629
12-25-2016, 01:24 AM
Are you suggesting he's not a great player?

CJ posted he "is the greatest pg we've ever seen."
I'm suggesting this not to be true ...he is a great player but not the best at his position ...I'd take Curry at pg over Russ in a heartbeat....i guess I'd put Russ at second best pg currently in the league

EasyGoer89
12-25-2016, 01:51 AM
CJ posted he "is the greatest pg we've ever seen."
I'm suggesting this not to be true ...he is a great player but not the best at his position ...I'd take Curry at pg over Russ in a heartbeat....i guess I'd put Russ at second best pg currently in the league

If you believe that the athletes and players In 2016 are much more advanced physically than people from generations ago, can't you make the case that the players in today's game are the best in history? If that's true, than Russ being the best who's ever played is certainly in the convo.

Ocala Mike
12-25-2016, 10:14 AM
Since my thread was hijacked by hoops guys (no problem with that, by the way), I just want to say that I was once a passionate pro basketball fan back in the day.

I'm talking Tuesday night doubleheaders at the old MSG on 50th St. and 8th Ave. watching players like Pettit, Cousy, Oscar, and Dolph Schays come in and wreck the Knicks.

Gladys Gooding playing "In Old New York" when the Knicks came on the floor - those were the days, my friends.

cj
12-25-2016, 11:21 AM
No more basketball please. I'll move it all to the Westbrook thread later where I'll then obliterate the "doesn't make his teammates better" thought. 😀 Merry Christmas all!

EasyGoer89
12-25-2016, 12:49 PM
Russ Vegas prop today total points, rebounds and assists o/u 54.5 -110 on both sides

Secondbest
12-25-2016, 02:03 PM
You never saw Walt (Clyde) Frazier. The greatest knick ever.

cj
12-25-2016, 03:24 PM

Have you seen the team around him? If Russ isn't superman, the team loses, simple. The TEAM record when he records a triple double is off the charts. Most times when he doesn't it is because the rest of the guys can't make a wide open shot or finish at the rim.

Sure, the Thunder will probably lose in the first round. That is hardly his fault. He is a fabulous player the likes we have never seen. He is incredibly athletic, a great passer, smart player, etc. The Thunder without him are a high lottery team. Keep in mind Russ is doing all this with probably the worst offensive player I've ever seen Andre Roberson sharing the floor with him most of the time. The Oladipo injury has made it even tougher on him yet he still keeps producing.

As for Curry being better, I don't buy it. Russ destroyed him in the Conference Finals last year. The Warriors won because Klay Thompson went crazy and because KD folded up like a cheap suit.

cj
12-25-2016, 03:26 PM
You never saw Walt (Clyde) Frazier. The greatest knick ever.

I saw Frazier. Side note, he and my wife are both SIU alums. He was a very good player. But to quote John McEnroe, "You CANNOT be serious!"

cj
12-25-2016, 03:28 PM

He is nothing like Allen Iverson other than he can be a high volume scorer. He can do pretty much everything else much better than Iverson could.

ReplayRandall
12-25-2016, 04:36 PM
He is a fabulous player the likes we have never seen. He is incredibly athletic, a great passer, smart player, etc.

I like Westbrook CJ, but "the likes we have never seen"??

#1- Magic Johnson
No one even close

#2- Oscar Robertson
Averaged a Triple Double for an ENTIRE season...1961-62

cj
12-25-2016, 04:40 PM

#1- Magic Johnson
No one even close

#2- Oscar Robertson

Magic is an all time great, no doubt. He played a totally different style so tough to compare them directly.

As for Oscar, the game was way, way different back then. The pace was much faster. I think I read teams averaged 20 more possessions a game, which obviously leads to more points, rebounds and assists. If Russ averages a triple double, it will be more impressive than Oscar's. And no, I'm not knocking Oscar. Fabulous player by all accounts though a little before my time.

Secondbest
12-25-2016, 08:58 PM
Don't forget back when the the Big O played there was no 3 point shot.

cj
12-25-2016, 11:14 PM
Don't forget back when the the Big O played there was no 3 point shot.

Sure but as far as the triple double goes not really an issue.

EasyGoer89
12-26-2016, 12:30 AM

#1- Magic Johnson
No one even close

#2- Oscar Robertson

Do you think if Russ, as is in 2016, was transported in a time machine back to magic's era, do you think he would be just another guy? Would he be a top 5 player? Would he be the best player in the league?

I think a lot of this argument really surrounds a persons belief or non belief that the human race has largely stayed the same, Athletes in all sports haven't gotten bigger faster and stronger, I believe that players are just much better than they were 3 and 4 decades ago so it's hard for me to give the nod to the yesteryear player knowing what we know now.

ronsmac
12-26-2016, 04:36 AM

#1- Magic Johnson
No one even close

#2- Oscar Robertson
Averaged a Triple Double for an ENTIRE season...1961-62The NBA was awful in 1962. Go to Youtube and just watch 2 minutes of a game from that year. Westbrook might score 80 a game against those players.

tophatmert
12-26-2016, 09:32 AM
The 3 point line has opened things up for the more athletic types but it is the no hand check that has changed the game the most making it hard to compare even Jordan era players to the newest superstars

tophatmert
12-26-2016, 10:57 AM
I saw Frazier. Side note, he and my wife are both SIU alums. He was a very good player. But to quote John McEnroe, "You CANNOT be serious!"
I am also an SIU man 79-83.

Valuist
12-27-2016, 04:24 PM

For a number of years, SIU was considered #1 party school in the nation. Not much else to do in Carbondale.

cj
12-31-2016, 09:39 PM
Triple double again tonight...in the first half.

Valuist
01-10-2017, 12:28 PM
The Thunder was up 20-25 points by early in the 4th quarter last night but for some reason, Donovan kept Westbrook in until very late. I know WHY he did, but I don't think it was the right thing.

cj
01-10-2017, 03:45 PM
The Thunder was up 20-25 points by early in the 4th quarter last night but for some reason, Donovan kept Westbrook in until very late. I know WHY he did, but I don't think it was the right thing.

Actually it didn't quite happen like that if memory serves. I think when he checked back in for the 4th the lead had been cut to under 20 with about eight minutes to go (his normal return time) and there was a definite momentum swing. The lead was further cut down to 13 or 11 with about three minutes to go and didn't really get put away until under two minutes.

I've seen at least three or four games this year where he fouled on purpose to check out of games when a rebound or an assist short of a triple double and plenty time to go so I really don't think that was it. He was a rebound short last night.

cj
01-12-2017, 10:31 AM
Another triple double against a very good Memphis defense last night. Russ didn't shoot well at all but still played a fabulous game. He has matured as a player so much the past couple years.

Valuist
01-18-2017, 07:07 PM
Should be interesting tonight. Earlier in the season when they played in Oakland, Kanter was trash talking Durant (are you kidding me?). Thompson does look like he will play.

cj
01-18-2017, 07:45 PM
Should be interesting tonight. Earlier in the season when they played in Oakland, Kanter was trash talking Durant (are you kidding me?). Thompson does look like he will play.

It won't be interesting really. Adams is out with a concussion. Thunder are just not good enough to compete with the Warriors at home, especially without their starting center and playing the 4th game in six nights, all on the road.

Valuist
01-18-2017, 08:10 PM
It won't be interesting really. Adams is out with a concussion. Thunder are just not good enough to compete with the Warriors at home, especially without their starting center and playing the 4th game in six nights, all on the road.

I didn't mean it would be interesting in that the game would be close. I meant interesting in that the Warriors could be amped up because they are facing OKC. Of course the big win over Cleveland may take some of the juice out of tonight's game.

cj
01-18-2017, 08:18 PM
I didn't mean it would be interesting in that the game would be close. I meant interesting in that the Warriors could be amped up because they are facing OKC. Of course the big win over Cleveland may take some of the juice out of tonight's game.

I guess, but they already played in Oakland so I think that has lost a little luster. More likely the big one is in OKC in early February, which I already sold for a mint. :)

cj
01-19-2017, 01:17 PM
Well, it was definitely interesting.

Robert Fischer
01-20-2017, 12:57 PM
Most entertaining player in the league, and doesn't start in the All-Star game?

MOST
ENTERTAINING
PLAYER

I'm a 'tinfoil hat' guy, who thinks the league is a revenue vehicle (ad revenue in particular). Stephen Curry is the Under Armour guy ('sources':$14Billion worth). [LeBron is the Nike guy, btw, for anyone sleeping].
I don't see anything short of an injury keeping Curry out of the starting lineup.

Of course, the NBA's new All-Star voting rules consisting of Fan/Player/Media is officially to blame.

I'm pretty sure that Curry has slightly more efficient advanced stats (eg. Curry .217 ws/48 , Westbrook .203), however Westbrook is pound for pound the best individual player in the NBA, while Curry is a clean-cut 'Mahmoud Abdul Rauf' clone, in a brilliant system.

Westbrook would eat his lunch in a game of 1-on-1!

Even considering the system, Curry put huge numbers last year. Westbrook does not have the 3-point shooting ability to thrive in a modern NBA 3-point offense, like Stephen Curry.

This season, however, Westbrook deserves to start in the All-Star game.

HoofedInTheChest
01-20-2017, 01:50 PM
That’s what happens when you leave the decision to a bunch of “Millennials” on the internet, what a disgrace.

Valuist
01-21-2017, 01:43 PM
CJ,

Is the circus in town at Chesapeake? If not, the NBA did a horrific job of scheduling with the Thunder. They now are up to SIXTEEN consecutive court changes. We sometimes see 10 or 11, even 12 but 16 is outlandish. I guess the good news would be they have to have a ton of home games coming up.

cj
01-21-2017, 01:52 PM
CJ,

Is the circus in town at Chesapeake? If not, the NBA did a horrific job of scheduling with the Thunder. They now are up to SIXTEEN consecutive court changes. We sometimes see 10 or 11, even 12 but 16 is outlandish. I guess the good news would be they have to have a ton of home games coming up.

No, nothing really going on here, just a scheduling quirk. We all saw it coming when the schedule came out, very rough month.

cj
01-24-2017, 12:50 PM
Very nice road win against very hot Utah. Russ with a triple double and a game winner.

cj
01-25-2017, 11:20 PM
Another ho hum triple double.

ReplayRandall
01-25-2017, 11:24 PM

It's the only enjoyment you'll have, so I'm happy for you.....Come playoff time, you're one and done...:cool:

cj
01-26-2017, 08:10 AM
It's the only enjoyment you'll have, so I'm happy for you.....Come playoff time, you're one and done...:cool:

Wow, thanks for the enlightenment. I had no idea. I was working on suggested parade routes for the city planning commission.

ReplayRandall
01-26-2017, 12:06 PM

Another ho hum post that looks like SRU wrote it....:cool:

cj
01-27-2017, 12:38 AM
Another ho hum post that looks like SRU wrote it....:cool:

He actually didn't play very well which is why it was ho hum IMO.

I'm actually having more fun at the games than in the last few years where it seemed like the Thunder "should" have won nearly every won. No, they won't win a title, but Russ is worth the price of the ticket. I hope I work every day at my job as hard as he does. He was fabulous tonight, hanging up 45 with a late barrage to put the game away.

Here is an interesting read. He gets a bum rap from people at times that don't really know basketball:

http://deadspin.com/clutch-time-is-westbrook-time-1791560876

He isn't perfect by any stretch, but I'll ride with him on my team any day. His supporting cast is subpar, to say the least, and he carries these guys on the court and off.

ReplayRandall
01-27-2017, 12:52 AM
He actually didn't play very well which is why it was ho hum IMO.

I'm actually having more fun at the games than in the last few years where it seemed like the Thunder "should" have won nearly every won. No, they won't win a title, but Russ is worth the price of the ticket. I hope I work every day at my job as hard as he does. He was fabulous tonight, hanging up 45 with a late barrage to put the game away.

Here is an interesting read. He gets a bum rap from people at times that don't really know basketball:

http://deadspin.com/clutch-time-is-westbrook-time-1791560876

He isn't perfect by any stretch, but I'll ride with him on my team any day. His supporting cast is subpar, to say the least, and he carries these guys on the court and off.
It's got to be a slow burn for Westbrook to see two former teammates start as All-Stars, while he's added as a reserve.....Especially Harden, though he's having a great season, and so are the Rockets, he just doesn't compare to Russell's numbers.

cj
01-27-2017, 12:58 AM
It's got to be a slow burn for Westbrook to see two former teammates start as All-Stars, while he's added as a reserve.....Especially Harden, though he's having a great season, and so are the Rockets, he just doesn't compare to Russell's numbers.

If it is he doesn't show it. I'd say he'd use it as motivation, but since he seems plenty motivated all the time what is the point? He did start last year and is the two time MVP. It will be interesting to see him on the court with KD. I doubt he'll say a friendly word to him all weekend.

Tee
01-27-2017, 04:14 PM
Enes Kanter out 6-8 weeks with fractured forearm losing a fight with a chair.

Just how much will the Thunder miss his near 22 minutes and 15 point per game during this stretch?

cj
01-27-2017, 11:57 PM
Enes Kanter out 6-8 weeks with fractured forearm losing a fight with a chair.

Just how much will the Thunder miss his near 22 minutes and 15 point per game during this stretch?

A lot. :mad:

ReplayRandall
01-28-2017, 12:02 AM
A lot. :mad:
I hear Russell's being fitted for a back-brace as we speak.....Talk about having to carry THIS team the rest of the season..:eek:

As Boz Skaggs used to sing, "Danger, there's a breakdown dead ahead"

cj
01-28-2017, 12:57 AM
I hear Russell's being fitted for a back-brace as we speak.....Talk about having to carry THIS team the rest of the season..:eek:

As Boz Skaggs used to sing, "Danger, there's a breakdown dead ahead"

The Thunder have pretty good depth in the frontcourt. If this happened to a guard or even a 3 it would be big trouble. It will cost them a few games I would think but it isn't catastrophic. The Thunder are probably going to be between the 5 and 7 seed, this just pushes the odds closer to 7 than 5. No big deal really, as you noted, they aren't winning anything. Of course you could say the same thing about every team not named the Warriors this year.

Grits
02-01-2017, 02:19 PM
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/01/magazine/the-misunderstood-genius-of-russell-westbrook.html

NYT wrote a piece on Westbrook today.

cj
02-01-2017, 03:15 PM
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/01/magazine/the-misunderstood-genius-of-russell-westbrook.html

NYT wrote a piece on Westbrook today.

That is really well done. Russ is my favorite athlete ever, even surpassing Cal Ripken Jr.

SAL
02-01-2017, 03:38 PM
Great story about a great player-- I'm rooting for him to pull off the triple double average--something I didn't think was even possible in today's NBA

cj
02-04-2017, 12:39 PM
Russell put on a display for the ages last night. He scored the last fifteen points against a very good Memphis team. The Thunder were down 98-93 pretty late, maybe 4 to go, and wound up winning 114-102. Memphis didn't score a point the last 2:50 of the game.

Stat line 38 points, 12 assists, 13 rebounds and 3 steals.

cj
03-29-2017, 10:56 PM
The last two games by Russell Westbrook have been the thing of legends...huge comebacks, triple doubles, game winners, game tying threes, just insane.

Makes me wonder what could have been if Cupcake Durant didn't insist on having the ball for the last shot all the time when he was here. Russ has been as clutch this year in tight games late as any player I've ever seen.

HoofedInTheChest
03-29-2017, 11:58 PM
Most points in a triple-double in NBA history. :ThmbUp:

Valuist
03-30-2017, 11:44 AM
Yes, Westbrook is having a great season. But it should be pointed out, he is averaging over 8 UNCONTESTED rebounds per game. This obviously paints a different picture of the rebounding portion of his numbers.

http://stats.nba.com/players/rebounding/#!?sort=REB_UNCONTEST&dir=1

cj
03-30-2017, 12:19 PM
Yes, Westbrook is having a great season. But it should be pointed out, he is averaging over 8 UNCONTESTED rebounds per game. This obviously paints a different picture of the rebounding portion of his numbers.

It is actually a brilliant strategy by Donovan. The others box out and Westbrook gets the ball and is off. It leads to many easy points and puts the defense on their heels immediately. It isn't done for him to pad stats, it is done to win games...and it works.

The tying three point shot was a perfect example last night. If he doesn't get the rebound he probably never gets that shot off. But him getting the ball made it almost impossible for the Magic to foul without risking him shooting and getting three free throws.

I'll also add that the guy is a fabulous rebounder. He has pulled down so many huge rebounds in traffic in clutch situations it is unbelievable, and does it on both ends of the floor.

PressThePace
03-30-2017, 11:58 PM

Trying hard to figure out why you think this is important? OKC leads the league in rebounding, so common sense tells me this is a good thing. If they were losing rebounds because of it, then it might be construed a different way.

Robert Fischer
03-31-2017, 12:43 PM
OKC is 3rd in NBA w/ 17.1 fastbreak points per game.

OKC poses a big threat following defensive rebounds, and much of that is RWB.

Valuist
03-31-2017, 03:27 PM
Trying hard to figure out why you think this is important? OKC leads the league in rebounding, so common sense tells me this is a good thing. If they were losing rebounds because of it, then it might be construed a different way.

It's important because the sports media is spinning this narrative about averaging a triple double as one of the biggest stats in all of sports. Westbrook will get his MVP, but when 80% of his rebounds are uncontested (for instance, off missed free throws) it certainly puts the accomplishment in a much different light.

cj
03-31-2017, 07:13 PM
It's important because the sports media is spinning this narrative about averaging a triple double as one of the biggest stats in all of sports. Westbrook will get his MVP, but when 80% of his rebounds are uncontested (for instance, off missed free throws) it certainly puts the accomplishment in a much different light.

I think you will find the majority of rebounds are considered uncontested. I saw that Harden and LeBron are like 79% and 78%. It is another basically meaningless stat somebody dug up to try and discredit an incredible season without putting it in context.

Robert Fischer
03-31-2017, 07:44 PM
Also is a self-fulfilling prophecy.
OKC is a top fastbreak team, and RW is a top coast-to-coast threat, thus teams get back on D, & don't 'crash' the offensive boards.

PressThePace
03-31-2017, 11:31 PM
Also is a self-fulfilling prophecy.
OKC is a top fastbreak team, and RW is a top coast-to-coast threat, thus teams get back on D, & don't 'crash' the offensive boards.

^^^^THIS^^^^

Valuist
04-21-2017, 03:16 PM
Steven Adams": "we weren't taking the greatest shots and they took advantage". A not so thinly veiled shot at Westbrook, who missed a record 14 shots in the 4th quarter.

PressThePace
04-21-2017, 04:10 PM
Steven Adams": "we weren't taking the greatest shots and they took advantage". A not so thinly veiled shot at Westbrook, who missed a record 14 shots in the 4th quarter.

Westbrook basically said the same thing after the game. I'm sure there were conversations in the locker room. I don't see that as taking a shot at Russ. And, on the slim chance that it is a shot, Adams might want to start delivering on the contract extension he signed...

Valuist
04-21-2017, 04:58 PM
Westbrook basically said the same thing after the game. I'm sure there were conversations in the locker room. I don't see that as taking a shot at Russ. And, on the slim chance that it is a shot, Adams might want to start delivering on the contract extension he signed...

Considering Adams only took 3 shots in the game, it was evident he wasn't referring to himself.

PressThePace
04-21-2017, 09:42 PM
Considering Adams only took 3 shots in the game, it was evident he wasn't referring to himself.

He has three shots because he's a human pitch-back. He routinely catches the ball 8 feet from the basket and throws out to a non-shooter with 2-3 seconds on the shot clock.