PDA

View Full Version : Horse with a kneepad? (and it fell off during race?)

EMD4ME
11-27-2016, 09:39 PM
Doing the usual, I notice a horse with what looked like a knee pad, :lol: , not kidding. Then after 1/2 a mile, this white "thing" over his front right leg (where a knee would be on a human) wasn't there anymore.

October 28th, 1st race, Belmont. #2.

Any thoughts, team PA?

EMD4ME
11-27-2016, 09:44 PM
Oh, 1 more thing............

Ya'll will see (on the head on) what looks like little party debris all over the track. Obviously, it's fall at Belmont, so crumpled up leaves are all over the place.

Please no sarcastic comments about that race needing to be a no contest :D

HalvOnHorseracing
11-27-2016, 10:31 PM
If I was in the Tommy Copper business I'd be looking to expand into horses.

EasyGoer89
11-27-2016, 11:03 PM
The horse's name is Over Promised (for those of you who watch replays on calracing and can't search out of state races by date function).

I see what you mean from the head on, its possible that it was just a normal bandage and because of the reflection and the angle of the horse's stride, it appeared to be 'loose' and then when mud got all over the bandage it appeared to blend in with the dirty leg, i didn't notice the bandage flying off, but i do see what you are talking about, it did look like a piece of equipment that wasn't on too secure.

Watching this same horse from the head on in his Aug 29th Spa race, you can kind of see this same bandage, its not as white, but since this is the last race of the day, you get a full screen head on (don't get me started on half box headons that are cut to show 'prices' when we all can get prices and probables on our phones, diff subj, diff day)

Did you see the bandage fly off onto the ground? I didn't see it fall off.

Ruffian1
11-28-2016, 08:46 AM
Doing the usual, I notice a horse with what looked like a knee pad, :lol: , not kidding. Then after 1/2 a mile, this white "thing" over his front right leg (where a knee would be on a human) wasn't there anymore.

Any thoughts, team PA?

It looks like the horses natural markings.

The horse was wearing 4 dark grey bandages.

The horse is grey with a white right leg. The white starts just above the knee and runs down to the foot. The front bandage hides the cannon bone area.
I think it disappears because after dirt or mud stains it.

NYRA replays at 0.26-0.27 seconds if you make it full screen will clearly show the unique markings of the horses right leg as he starts to load into the gate. Freezing the tape might help you see it better.

Hope that helps.

EMD4ME
11-28-2016, 05:31 PM
It looks like the horses natural markings.

The horse was wearing 4 dark grey bandages.

The horse is grey with a white right leg. The white starts just above the knee and runs down to the foot. The front bandage hides the cannon bone area.
I think it disappears because after dirt or mud stains it.

NYRA replays at 0.26-0.27 seconds if you make it full screen will clearly show the unique markings of the horses right leg as he starts to load into the gate. Freezing the tape might help you see it better.

Hope that helps.

Fantastic reply. Thank you very much Ruffian1!

EMD4ME
11-28-2016, 05:32 PM
The horse's name is Over Promised (for those of you who watch replays on calracing and can't search out of state races by date function).

I see what you mean from the head on, its possible that it was just a normal bandage and because of the reflection and the angle of the horse's stride, it appeared to be 'loose' and then when mud got all over the bandage it appeared to blend in with the dirty leg, i didn't notice the bandage flying off, but i do see what you are talking about, it did look like a piece of equipment that wasn't on too secure.

Watching this same horse from the head on in his Aug 29th Spa race, you can kind of see this same bandage, its not as white, but since this is the last race of the day, you get a full screen head on (don't get me started on half box headons that are cut to show 'prices' when we all can get prices and probables on our phones, diff subj, diff day)

Did you see the bandage fly off onto the ground? I didn't see it fall off.

Thank you New York's horse of the year.

BTW, how do you feel about half box headons? :lol:

EasyGoer89
12-02-2016, 01:44 PM
Knee pad horse racing in five mins at Aqu. Number 3 in the 4th. Looks like that might be the color of his leg, it's an odd coloring it does look like a bandage at first glance.

green80
12-02-2016, 02:10 PM

Any thoughts, team PA?

By rule a horse cannot wear any bandages above the shin area where the normal wraps are worn. A horse cannot wear any bandages over the knee or above. If there are, the paddock judge will make sure the bandages are removed before the horse walks into the saddling paddock. What you are seeing has to be mud or some kind of normal coloration of the horse. The reason I know, I tried it one time.

DSB
12-03-2016, 09:39 AM
Horses with white markings above the knee and/or hock joints are known as having sabino markings.

In recent years I've seen a few examples of this in bay and chestnut thoroughbreds, although at one time they were practically non-existent.

I haven't seen the horse in question here, but it sounds like he may have markings that extend into the knee area, which qualifies as sabino.

EMD4ME
12-03-2016, 10:19 AM
Thank you all :ThmbUp: