PDA

View Full Version : Pitt 76 Syracuse 61

Marshall Bennett
11-26-2016, 05:11 PM
That's football too, not basketball.
Don't believe I remember a total score that high. :)

barahona44
11-26-2016, 06:46 PM
There was the infamous 222-0 rout by Georgia Tech over Cumberland in 1916.IIRC, the Cumberland team had most of their players suspended but Cumberland didn't want to forfeit, so most of the players were just regular students.

Navy beat North Texas 74-62 in 2007, which was the old record for Division 1 football.They eclipsed it by one point today.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007-Navy-vs.-North-Texas-football-game

EasyGoer89
11-26-2016, 08:06 PM

Someone texted me this 5 seconds ago and said "that's football, not basketball' LOL

Marshall Bennett
11-26-2016, 09:20 PM
Navy beat North Texas 74-62 in 2007, which was the old record for Division 1 football.They eclipsed it by one point today.

Ha Ha, and today Navy beats the neighbor SMU 75-31.

ElKabong
11-26-2016, 09:29 PM
The big 12 commissioner will read this score in the paper tomorrow, and offer them acceptance into the conference immediately.....(no defense required)

Robert Fischer
11-26-2016, 09:44 PM
Pitt is a fun team this year.

They don't have the horses, and they struggle on things like matching up defensively and coverage technique.
However, they have a good core on offense, and creative play-calling.

Inner Dirt
11-27-2016, 09:29 AM
Anyone have a good explanation why insanely high scores are now common place in college football? Obviously the NFL stocks it's teams with defensive players from the college ranks so it isn't like all the good athletes are on offense. I realize college follows the NFL, so as the NFL rules and their interpretation favor passing more and more by the year so does college but WTF, these scores are nuts.

Robert Fischer
11-27-2016, 09:43 AM
Anyone have a good explanation why insanely high scores are now common place in college football? Obviously the NFL stocks it's teams with defensive players from the college ranks so it isn't like all the good athletes are on offense. I realize college follows the NFL, so as the NFL rules and their interpretation favor passing more and more by the year so does college but WTF, these scores are nuts.

Teams each run 20 more plays per game than in the NFL.

You also have disparity in talent. - Good teams vs bad teams, and even among similarly ranked teams - NFL talents vs college talents... And teams do very good at spreading out and isolating these matchups.

I don't know why they have more plays. I don't know the exact clock-stoppage rules, but I think that college stops the clock more often.

Inner Dirt
11-27-2016, 09:54 AM
Teams each run 20 more plays per game than in the NFL.

You also have disparity in talent. - Good teams vs bad teams, and even among similarly ranked teams - NFL talents vs college talents... And teams do very good at spreading out and isolating these matchups.

I don't know why they have more plays. I don't know the exact clock-stoppage rules, but I think that college stops the clock more often.

Hasn't that been going on for quite some time? I understand to an extent everything you said, although it seems you still should get the occasional defensive struggle yet those 13-10 games are very rare these days. I played in a lower division college game 35 years ago that we won 7-5. If you had a score like that now it would make the national news.:lol:

Marshall Bennett
11-27-2016, 12:20 PM
College would be more likely to run a score up towards the end. NFL players meet each other a lot more often for various payback. :)

LottaKash
11-27-2016, 01:25 PM

When I first saw that score and pondered, especially this early in the college Hoop season, I wondered what could be so special about that...

Now I know... :D

ldiatone
11-27-2016, 02:01 PM
watched the entire game and i follow Pitt all year the team could have 2 more wins as pitt lost2 games in the final seconds if there defense was better. the coach has made a difference also. and this
http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=134739