PDA

View Full Version : Gary Birzer Needs Your Prayers

Buddha
07-20-2004, 11:55 PM
If anyone was watching Mountaineer tonight, you saw Gary Birzers horse break down in the 7th. Well the early report is paralysis from the waist down. They dont know if it is temporary or permanent yet, but please remember him in your prayers.

Steve 'StatMan'
07-21-2004, 12:03 AM
Oh my God! He'd been on such a tear these last few days! Something like 6 wins in a row from Sunday into Monday. How tragic!

I select MNR as part of my job. My prayers for Gary and his family!

Steve ('Finger') from the Green Sheet/Finger Sheet.

RXB
07-21-2004, 12:08 AM
Yes, he had a four-bagger yesterday, and I think a couple of 2nd's, too.

Here's hoping that he'll be alright. I have a sister who is paralyzed from the waist down (because of a drunk driver in another car). Hopefully, Gary will be luckier than her and be able to walk again. If not, I hope he's as emotionally strong as my sister has always been and forges a good life despite the accident.

Jockeys earn every penny they make, that's for sure.

The_Knight_Sky
07-21-2004, 12:45 AM
I'm sorry to read about this. First Free House now this. :(

Here's a pic of River Downs jocks courtesy of www.patlangphotos.com
http://www.patlangphotos.com/files/personalities/rdjocks.jpg

River Downs jockeys gather to
celebrate Fabio Arguello, Jr.'s winning
ride in the 1999 Cradle Stakes.
left to right:_ Vernon Bush, James Bruin,
Eddie Zuniga, Fabio, Gary Birzer (kneeling),
Rodney Prescott, and Perry Ouzts.

CryingForTheHorses
07-21-2004, 04:53 AM
Wishing Gary a speedy recoverey!
Our prayers are with him and his family.
This is the sad side of this game.

shanta
07-21-2004, 08:13 AM
I saw the fall last night. My prayers are with him and his family .
Richie

brdman12
07-21-2004, 01:03 PM
A very sad story that is a part of this "business". I will say a prayer for him.

Buddha
07-21-2004, 08:05 PM
latest I have heard is a broken neck, and sugery tomorrow AM. I will let you guys know if i hear anything else.

sq764
07-21-2004, 09:50 PM
Buddha, is there an article about this? I looked on DRF and NTRA but couldn't find anything

Buddha
07-22-2004, 01:59 AM
i have yet to see an article anywhere. dont know if/when the drf will have anything since it is a "smaller" track accident.

BillW
07-22-2004, 02:03 AM
Originally posted by Buddha
i have yet to see an article anywhere. dont know if/when the drf will have anything since it is a "smaller" track accident.

On the subject of media, I watched the replay on HRTV today and Berry made no mention of the spill for the duration of HRTV airing his call and The HRTV talking heads made no mention of it either. It was visible on the video and seemed really strange that it wasn't at least acknowleged.

Bill

Dancer's Image
07-22-2004, 12:38 PM
Thanks Buddha, for your update. I can't find any story about this accident at any racing site, which is really pretty irresponsible behavior by the racing media, afterall, it is their duty to inform the public. I mistakenly hoped yesterday, that no news was good news, in that the media would be less likely to have a story if there was no serious injury. But a broken neck is pretty serious....any word on the paralysis?

Buddha
07-22-2004, 01:43 PM
no word for sure yet, but from what I hear, probably not good.

RXB
07-23-2004, 07:17 PM
I missed the start of Mountaineer's show tonight. Did Mark say anything about Birzer?

garyoz
07-23-2004, 07:18 PM
Mark didn't mention it.

RXB
07-23-2004, 07:21 PM
Thanks, Gary.

QuarterCrack
07-23-2004, 09:38 PM
DRF has an article about it.

http://www.drf.com/news/article/57575.html

Suff
07-23-2004, 09:44 PM
son of a bitch huh? What a tough break. Poor Kid. My thoughts go out to him and his family.

he's got a tough road in front of him

Dancer's Image
07-23-2004, 10:59 PM
Finally found a story about this tragedy....keep him and his family in your prayers...

Mountaineer Park _
Birzer, jockey, paralyzed
By MATT HEGARTY
Gary Birzer, a 27-year-old jockey based at Mountaineer Park, has been paralyzed from the waist down after severing his spinal cord in an accident on Tuesday night at the West Virginia track, his agent said on Friday.
Birzer, second in the standings at the current meeting, was thrown from Lil Bit of Rouge in the seventh race when that horse broke her leg just past the half-mile pole. Birzer landed on his neck, breaking the C-7 bone in the vertebral column and fracturing his C-6 bone.
"He can move his arms, but he does not feel anything below the waist," said his agent, Jimmy Isbell, who spoke as the representative of the Birzer family. "He's talking, he can talk to you. He said the horse was going fine. It's just one of those terrible things that can happen in racing."
Doctors at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center Presbyterian Hospital operated on Birzer on Thursday night to stabilize the injuries, Isbell said. He will be moved to a rehabilitation facility for eight weeks in five days, according to Isbell.
Birzer arrived at Mountaineer Park four years ago, and led the spring standings at the meet. He has a wife, Amy, and a 2-year-old daughter, Robyn.

Skanoochies
07-23-2004, 11:11 PM
Best wishes and prayers to both Gary Birzer and Dan Hendricks the trainer from Cal. who are both going through very trying times. Lets hope the best for both.

BillW
08-02-2004, 03:18 AM
Here's a story from Thoroughbred Times regarding a fund for Gary Birzer.

For those so inclined:

http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/todaysnews/newsview.asp?recno=47471&subsec=2

Bill

Buddha
08-02-2004, 12:22 PM
cards and donations can also be sent to

RD 3
Box 41 E 5
Weirton, WV 26062

That address was posted on the River Downs simulcast yesterday for him.

BillW
08-02-2004, 12:26 PM
Buddha,

I should have remembered to ask in the previous post, but which address is the more direct, i.e. most likely to get to Gary?

Bill

Buddha
08-02-2004, 01:28 PM
well the mountaineer one is probably just an address to send money that mountaineer is collecting for him. The weirton one i think might be an address for his home, and i think i heard that his wife goes home every day or other day or something and would be taking it to him, so i would say the weirton one owuld be the better way.

penguinfan
08-02-2004, 01:41 PM
Really appreciate that you keep us posted on this as much as you can Buddha, I swear the New Castle crew is coming down there again soon.

Penguinfan

Dancer's Image
08-03-2004, 10:42 AM
Here is the address....please write it down and make a donation...I am.

Donations can be sent to the Gary Birzer fund, in care of the horsemen’s bookkeeper, Mountaineer Race Track and Gaming Resort, P.O. Box 358, Chester, West Virginia, 26034.

Dancer's Image
08-21-2004, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by Dancer's Image
Here is the address....please write it down and make a donation...I am.

Donations can be sent to the Gary Birzer fund, in care of the horsemen’s bookkeeper, Mountaineer Race Track and Gaming Resort, P.O. Box 358, Chester, West Virginia, 26034.

cards and donations can also be sent to

RD 3
Box 41 E 5
Weirton, WV 26062

Well, in light of the difficulties Birzer is having concerning his rehabilitation/medical care services being paid for by West Virginia, I thought I'd bump this to the top. One of the articles in that thread mentioned the possibility of Birzer needing to get rid of his assets above $2,000...??? Does anyone know anything about that? Buddah?

I would hate to see all the money donated to Birzer and his family by racing fans (like myself), money clearly earmarked for Birzer and his family, being given to the state to pay for his medical care. The racetrack/racing authorities in WV should have insurance to cover the medical care for their employees!

CryingForTheHorses
08-21-2004, 01:48 PM
Hey Dancer!
What a great guy you are in the way you care about people and animals.I myself hate to see this hapen to anyone whether it be in racing or not,I do agree that the ractrack that is holding the meet and making mega buck,need to protect those who put on their show, This accident has put this poor familes whole lives at stake!.I think its terrible having to sell off your life.The jocks guild should also help him if he was a member.The sad thing is, He will never be the same again.He will need months of rehab,special renovations done to the home, car,He will need round the clock care for the rest of his life,I am blessed to have the life that I do..God Bless you Gary..Ill say a prayer and send a donation to you

Dancer's Image
08-21-2004, 01:59 PM
Thanks McSchell...I am a great guy....just ask me! Now I might not be so generous if Tom slipped on a banana peel! LOL Just kidding, and don't worry, he's got me on "ignore" anyway (except when he wants to make some smart-assed comments)!

CryingForTheHorses
08-21-2004, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by Dancer's Image
Thanks McSchell...I am a great guy....just ask me! Now I might not be so generous if Tom slipped on a banana peel! LOL Just kidding, and don't worry, he's got me on "ignore" anyway (except when he wants to make some smart-assed comments)!

????????

cj
08-21-2004, 06:02 PM
Tom Mc

He meant another Tom, the one with the monkey picture.

JustRalph
08-21-2004, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by cjmilkowski
Tom Mc

He meant another Tom, the one with the monkey picture.

That's a Monkey? I thought that was really Tom....... I need to get my Glasses Fixed..........

CryingForTheHorses
08-21-2004, 07:44 PM
LMAO I always wondered if it was a monkey. You know its really not nice to comment on people's looks. Now I know,Thanks god Tom you look like us!:)

Tom
08-21-2004, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by JustRalph
That's a Monkey? I thought that was really Tom....... I need to get my Glasses Fixed..........

Hey!

Tom
08-21-2004, 09:58 PM
I am reporting you guys to the Monkey Mafia!

Buddha
08-22-2004, 12:32 AM
I havent heard anything recently but will see what I can dig up. not that it was much, but I did donate a nights worth of tips from work, which was a measly $36 but I am sure that they can use all that they can get. They are also having a golf scramble Wednesday taht I am getting in.

CryingForTheHorses
08-23-2004, 03:14 PM
Im bumping this to the top again..Please give that 10 bucks to Gary and his family, Rather then to the track, There is a address that Dancer gave us all on his post. Please find it in your heart to write his address on a envelope, Put a donation in and send it out in todays mail.Thanks

JustRalph
08-23-2004, 03:57 PM
I sent and email to MNR via their website. I advised them that I am upset that they haven't done more to help out the Birzer family. I also advised them I had canceled my planned fall trip over to MNR due to the fact that they have not "ponied up" for Birzer and his family. No pun intended. I received this response this morning..........FYI..............

Dear Mr JustRalph,

Mountaineer is helping the Birzer family through donation that are passed through the Don Mac Beth Memorial fund. A fund setup to help disabled riders. We also are providing assistance with fundraisers.
Although Mr. Birzer is not an employee of Mountaineer but employed by the trainer his insurance is through the Jockeys Guild. This is the provider for all riders across the country. Since jockeys are independent contractors we cannot provide their insurance.

Thank you for your concern for Gary.

Rose Mary Williams
Director of Racing

CryingForTheHorses
08-23-2004, 04:52 PM
Ralph
Mountaineer does have a point! A jockey is self employed, I also hope he is a member of the jocks guild.The Don McBeth fund for disabled riders is a good cause, BUT They can only do so much.Fundraisers and donations are badly needed as Im sure it will be gone with all the expenses.When Gary recovers,With his heart Im sure he will be on TVG giving us winners

CryingForTheHorses
08-23-2004, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by JustRalph
I sent and email to MNR via their website. I advised them that I am upset that they haven't done more to help out the Birzer family. I also advised them I had canceled my planned fall trip over to MNR due to the fact that they have not "ponied up" for Birzer and his family. No pun intended. I received this response this morning..........FYI..............

Dear Mr JustRalph,

Mountaineer is helping the Birzer family through donation that are passed through the Don Mac Beth Memorial fund. A fund setup to help disabled riders. We also are providing assistance with fundraisers.
Although Mr. Birzer is not an employee of Mountaineer but employed by the trainer his insurance is through the Jockeys Guild. This is the provider for all riders across the country. Since jockeys are independent contractors we cannot provide their insurance.

Thank you for your concern for Gary.

Rose Mary Williams
Director of Racing

After reading a little closer,I see this...The only thing helping Gary is donations..Mountaineer is accepting donations and help to arrange fundraisers.Big Deal.I say they give up a win pool from a race.Im sure the horseman are pulling together for him.

JustRalph
08-23-2004, 06:43 PM
Last Nights chart reads.....

Wagering Type Attendance Handle
Off track wagering $1,463,421
Track $57,765

With Takeout and expenses.......what do you think their profit was last night? Just from the track/Horse portion of the resort?

If they made a total profit of 5% (which is probably very low) I get somewhere in the area of 75k profit. Give one nights profit to the family and change their life for the foreesable future. I realize 75k is not going to be enough to make a long term difference, but I think the real problem is setting a precedant. If they do it for him, they would be locked in for the future. It is a tough nut.