PDA

View Full Version : Gulfstream Park Track Layout

Cratos
11-24-2016, 09:18 PM
Attached is a track layout of Gulfstream Park and those of you who play NYRA on a regular basis might see some similarity between the geometry of Belmont and Gulfstream Park.

The similar comparison between Belmont and Gulfstream Park comes into play with both racetracks having long backstretches and large turns, but relatively short home stretches.

thespaah
11-24-2016, 10:31 PM
Attached is a track layout of Gulfstream Park and those of you who play NYRA on a regular basis might see some similarity between the geometry of Belmont and Gulfstream Park.

The similar comparison between Belmont and Gulfstream Park comes into play with both racetracks having long backstretches and large turns, but relatively short home stretches.
Do you have a link you could provide where these specs are available?
Thanks in advance.
BTW, Belmont's stretch is 1040 ft. That's the number that sticks out in my mind. Could be wrong. Saratoga's stretch is actually a bit longer.

Cratos
11-25-2016, 12:08 AM
Do you have a link you could provide where these specs are available?
Thanks in advance.
BTW, Belmont's stretch is 1040 ft. That's the number that sticks out in my mind. Could be wrong. Saratoga's stretch is actually a bit longer.
We don’t have a single link that will give all of the specs for any one racetrack.

What we have is multiple links that we use in conjunction with Google Earth Professional.

The NYRA Racetracks:

• Saratoga main track stretch length = 1,144 feet and its turns are 1,485 feet
• Belmont main track stretch length = 1,097 feet and its turns are 2,020 feet
• Aqueduct main track stretch length = 1,155.5 feet and its turns are 1,484.40 feet

VigorsTheGrey
11-25-2016, 01:08 PM

And the ramifications of the bold above, are what?

Cratos
11-25-2016, 02:29 PM
And the ramifications of the bold above, are what?
In a word: "Acceleration"; big horses or slow breaking horses are somewhat disadvantaged by racetracks with "tight turns" even if those tracks have long straightaways.

An example is Churchill Downs, the track which probably have the "tightest turns" with the longest straightaways of the major racetracks; and how many come off the horses has won the Derby?

VigorsTheGrey
11-25-2016, 02:38 PM
In a word: "Acceleration"; big horses or slow breaking horses are somewhat disadvantaged by racetracks with "tight turns" even if those tracks have long straightaways.

An example is Churchill Downs, the track which probably have the "tightest turns" with the longest straightaways of the major racetracks; and how many come off the horses has won the Derby?

That makes sense to me....the fairest racecourse would then be one that is a total straightaway, lacking any turns. I wish the weight of horses would be tracked and recorded in the form...I know the weight is known on some foreign racetracks...it makes sense that the biggest horse might also at times be the dominant one, but dominance in horse culture may not necessarily be which horse wins a race...