PDA

View Full Version : OMG Sheriff required job applicants to be citizens

davew
11-22-2016, 04:45 PM
can you believe the gall of it all?

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/us-denver-sheriff-illegally-excluded-citizens-hiring-43704875

HalvOnHorseracing
11-22-2016, 06:17 PM
What is there to believe? Should people who have emigrated here legally, and who have work permits not be allowed to apply for jobs for which they are qualified? Maybe instead of letting them come to America, we should throw them out too. Or maybe just keep them from getting jobs here in America and instead put them on welfare or something.

It's not hard to stir up trouble here, and there are plenty of legitimate things to stir up trouble about. But this one is pretty much a tempest in a teapot. Move along. Nothing to see here.

EasyGoer89
11-22-2016, 06:24 PM
What is there to believe? Should people who have emigrated here legally, and who have work permits not be allowed to apply for jobs for which they are qualified? Maybe instead of letting them come to America, we should throw them out too. Or maybe just keep them from getting jobs here in America and instead put them on welfare or something.

It's not hard to stir up trouble here, and there are plenty of legitimate things to stir up trouble about. But this one is pretty much a tempest in a teapot. Move along. Nothing to see here.

I think they're getting in trouble for not hiring illegals, unless i read it wrong?

EMD4ME
11-22-2016, 06:43 PM
I have a revolutionary thought.........

Hire the best candidate.

With that said, than why does the POTUS have to be born here? Because certain positions require more than others.

How do I know you will uphold the law if you're not born here? I don't BUT it makes a whole lot more sense that you will, if you're a citizen.

Sick of these politically correct, crayon loving, safe space WHACKOS.

So, they required you be a citizen, SO WHAT??!!!

EMD4ME
11-22-2016, 06:44 PM
I know 1 thing.

If I migrated to Italy, Greece or Germany, I wouldn't scream at the top of my lungs: I'm here illegally. Give me welfare, give me equal rights, give me a job.

I'd humbly see what the country wants and CONFORM.

CONFORM, A BLANKEN WORD, NO LEFTY PSYCHO wants to do. CONFORM like a human being.

HalvOnHorseracing
11-22-2016, 07:15 PM
I think they're getting in trouble for not hiring illegals, unless i read it wrong?
You read it wrong.They got in trouble for not allowing non-citizens who are here legally and have work permits to apply for jobs. It violated federal law.

Fager Fan
11-22-2016, 07:29 PM

What an inane response. Obviously, to be an AMERICAN LAW enforcement officer, and giving him a gun and other weapons on top of it, they should be a citizen.

Clocker
11-22-2016, 07:33 PM
The Sheriff's Department stated that it was not aware that it was breaking the law. Especially given the DOJ's new policy of accepting the "Hillary Defense" of lack of intent, I think it is stupid to fine the Sheriff's Department, i.e., the taxpayers, $10,000. Boy, that will teach those taxpayers not to pull that stunt again. :rolleyes:

I would just put the the Sheriff on Double Secret Probation. :p

Tom
11-22-2016, 09:19 PM
THIS is what our DOJ is wasting it's time on?
First thing Trump should do is fire everyone in the department.

To allow someone here on a work permit to be a cop is just stupid.

barahona44
11-22-2016, 10:12 PM
What an inane response. Obviously, to be an AMERICAN LAW enforcement officer, and giving him a gun and other weapons on top of it, they should be a citizen.
You do not have to be a US citizen to join the military, although you have to be a lawful permanent resident.When you complete your initial enlistment, you are allowed to take 2 years off the waiting period to apply for citizenship.However, non citizens cannot be officers.

Don't know about law enforcement requirements.I'm assuming each local police department sets their own requirements.

Fager Fan
11-22-2016, 11:27 PM
You do not have to be a US citizen to join the military, although you have to be a lawful permanent resident.When you complete your initial enlistment, you are allowed to take 2 years off the waiting period to apply for citizenship.However, non citizens cannot be officers.

Don't know about law enforcement requirements.I'm assuming each local police department sets their own requirements.

Interesting, thanks.

Soldiers though are fighting a war, usually on foreign soil. They're not enforcing American laws against American citizens. It's absurd to allow anyone who isn't a citizen to be in any area of our law enforcement.

Inner Dirt
11-22-2016, 11:48 PM
Interesting, thanks.

Soldiers though are fighting a war, usually on foreign soil. They're not enforcing American laws against American citizens. It's absurd to allow anyone who isn't a citizen to be in any area of our law enforcement.

Also most soldiers are working in groups and or under constant supervision, big difference than a cop who usually works alone. I think cops should not only be citizens they should be natural born. A foreign born person could come in with ideals totally opposite of our own and suppress them enough to get past all the evaluations. Do you want a cop from a country that believes it is ok to beat or rape your wife and stone adulteress women to death? I worked with some guys who had older friends who came from Vietnam in the 70's that got arrested for wife beating here as it was an accepted practice in Vietnam, they had no idea it was illegal here.

HalvOnHorseracing
11-23-2016, 12:33 AM
You were one response too soon with your characterization of inane.

It's already been noted that we have non-citizens fighting in our military. Perfectly legal. So that sort of shoots your argument (no pun intended) to pieces. And no amount of tortured logic (whoops, forgot about the National Guard or the Coast Guard whose duties are often domestic) can slice the baloney as thin as you are trying to slice it. Did you also forget, they both take an oath? But, of course i'm sure you wouldn't trust any foreigner to keep a promise he made.

There is no cogent reason they need to be American to do that job, whether soldier or jailer. Did you forget how many "foreigners" joined the RAF before the U.S. got into WW II?

But your quibble is not with me. It is with the federal government that allows non-citizens to defend the country and requires consideration of legal residents with work permits the opportunity to compete for jobs. Doesn't say they have to give them the job. Doesn't force anyone to hire them.

Anybody wondering what Ready, Fire, Aim looks like would do well to review such threads.

HalvOnHorseracing
11-23-2016, 12:34 AM
The Sheriff's Department stated that it was not aware that it was breaking the law. Especially given the DOJ's new policy of accepting the "Hillary Defense" of lack of intent, I think it is stupid to fine the Sheriff's Department, i.e., the taxpayers, $10,000. Boy, that will teach those taxpayers not to pull that stunt again. :rolleyes:

I would just put the the Sheriff on Double Secret Probation. :p
More of your irrepressible, world class humor.

Next time you get cited for anything try that defense and let us know how it works. Really. Now that would be funny.

HalvOnHorseracing
11-23-2016, 12:56 AM
Also most soldiers are working in groups and or under constant supervision, big difference than a cop who usually works alone. I think cops should not only be citizens they should be natural born. A foreign born person could come in with ideals totally opposite of our own and suppress them enough to get past all the evaluations. Do you want a cop from a country that believes it is ok to beat or rape your wife and stone adulteress women to death? I worked with some guys who had older friends who came from Vietnam in the 70's that got arrested for wife beating here as it was an accepted practice in Vietnam, they had no idea it was illegal here.
Prison guards (which is the primary function of the Denver Sheriff's dept) work alone? And if you read about the problems the Sheriff's Department has had over the last few years, the existing citizens working there already thought it was ok to beat the hell out of prisoners. They (and other jails) have had plenty of problems with deputies suppressing their real feelings and get hired. Honestly. I'm guessing you don't even have the first inkling your characterization of immigrants (who apparently all come from countries where wife beating is legal and their dream job is patrolling the piss-stained cells of county lock-up) is ludicrous. I can see it now. They become law enforcement officers, head out on a domestic abuse call, and join in beating the wife. Could happen you know.

If it is your opinion that most - perhaps not all - foreigners don't come here for the same reasons your distant relatives came here and were willing to work to become good Americans, I'm pretty sure there is nothing I could say that would make you feel at least slightly embarrassed by your offering here.

I just hope they hire the right people to do the job and that those people do it well, and if they don't they bounce them out of there like a rubber ball.

Fager Fan
11-23-2016, 12:58 AM
You were one response too soon with your characterization of inane.

It's already been noted that we have non-citizens fighting in our military. Perfectly legal. So that sort of shoots your argument (no pun intended) to pieces. And no amount of tortured logic (whoops, forgot about the National Guard or the Coast Guard whose duties are often domestic) can slice the baloney as thin as you are trying to slice it. Did you also forget, they both take an oath? But, of course i'm sure you wouldn't trust any foreigner to keep a promise he made.

There is no cogent reason they need to be American to do that job, whether soldier or jailer. Did you forget how many "foreigners" joined the RAF before the U.S. got into WW II?

But your quibble is not with me. It is with the federal government that allows non-citizens to defend the country and requires consideration of legal residents with work permits the opportunity to compete for jobs. Doesn't say they have to give them the job. Doesn't force anyone to hire them.

Anybody wondering what Ready, Fire, Aim looks like would do well to review such threads.

I can tell you this: I'm not following the orders of any non-American. They should have zero authority over anyone in this country.

And yes, your post was inane if you can't see the issue here.

HalvOnHorseracing
11-23-2016, 08:38 AM
I can tell you this: I'm not following the orders of any non-American. They should have zero authority over anyone in this country.

Oh, I see the issue. It's called xenophobia.

davew
11-23-2016, 08:54 AM
You read it wrong.They got in trouble for not allowing non-citizens who are here legally and have work permits to apply for jobs. It violated federal law.

I read it to say that over 40 states have rules/laws prohibiting hiring non-citizens and Colorado does not. Therefore the Denver police were not following their state rules, but making up their own...

Fager Fan
11-23-2016, 09:00 AM

Aw, that hurts. I'm going to go cry now.

Only libs can find anti-American sentiment to be a beautiful thing. As I've been saying since 2001, the enemy is within, and he's far more dangerous than any terrorist threat. The enemy is the American liberal.

But back to the topic, no American citizen should knowingly allow a foreign citizen to have police authority over him in this country.

Tom
11-23-2016, 09:50 AM
It's already been noted that we have non-citizens fighting in our military. Perfectly legal.

As members of a supervised group, not alone, and not allowed to be officers. Huge difference.

Inner Dirt
11-23-2016, 09:51 AM
Prison guards (which is the primary function of the Denver Sheriff's dept) work alone? And if you read about the problems the Sheriff's Department has had over the last few years, the existing citizens working there already thought it was ok to beat the hell out of prisoners. They (and other jails) have had plenty of problems with deputies suppressing their real feelings and get hired. Honestly. I'm guessing you don't even have the first inkling your characterization of immigrants (who apparently all come from countries where wife beating is legal and their dream job is patrolling the piss-stained cells of county lock-up) is ludicrous. I can see it now. They become law enforcement officers, head out on a domestic abuse call, and join in beating the wife. Could happen you know.

If it is your opinion that most - perhaps not all - foreigners don't come here for the same reasons your distant relatives came here and were willing to work to become good Americans, I'm pretty sure there is nothing I could say that would make you feel at least slightly embarrassed by your offering here.

I just hope they hire the right people to do the job and that those people do it well, and if they don't they bounce them out of there like a rubber ball.

You sure put your condescending liberal spin on that didn't you? Get over yourself and the fact the witch got a house dropped on here.

Tom
11-23-2016, 09:53 AM

Ding ding ding.
There it is...the predictable liberal move.

Thank you.

barahona44
11-23-2016, 10:08 AM

And if you find yourself in a state/locality that permits non citizens to be in law enforcement?

HalvOnHorseracing
11-23-2016, 10:13 AM
Aw, that hurts. I'm going to go cry now.

Only libs can find anti-American sentiment to be a beautiful thing. As I've been saying since 2001, the enemy is within, and he's far more dangerous than any terrorist threat. The enemy is the American liberal.

But back to the topic, no American citizen should knowingly allow a foreign citizen to have police authority over him in this country.
Frankly, I could care less how this all comes out. I'm sure there is somebody wanting to fight the fight with the feds or the sheriff's dept, and that's fine with me.

Nobody, including me, was suggesting the sheriff's dept was required to hire any particular person. You guys start with a requirement to allow resident aliens to apply for a job and the next thing you know it's Abu Ghraib with some immigrant playing the part of Lynndie England and fine upstanding Americans tormenting prisoners on leashes. And you think the liberals are whacko.

Suppose the sheriff's dept hired a non-citizen who was fluent in Spanish or Vietnamese to assist with prisoners who have language or other barriers? Is that such a bad idea, even if they are a resident alien? Those prisoners might even be more compliant with people of their own kind.

Funny. I had that same anti-American thought after reading your post.

HalvOnHorseracing
11-23-2016, 10:16 AM
Ding ding ding.

Thank you.
The invented the word for a reason. If the shoe fits...

Inner Dirt
11-23-2016, 10:22 AM

Ding ding ding.

Thank you.

It seems they are playing the race card at a greater rate than before the election. I didn't think that was possible.

HalvOnHorseracing
11-23-2016, 10:22 AM
You sure put your condescending liberal spin on that didn't you? Get over yourself and the fact the witch got a house dropped on here.
Condescending liberal spin. Isn't that an oxymoron over in alt-right world?

Tom
11-23-2016, 10:24 AM
Just be quiet..everything will be alt. right.

HalvOnHorseracing
11-23-2016, 10:32 AM
It seems they are playing the race card at a greater rate than before the election. I didn't think that was possible.
1. Look up xenophobia.

2. Try to not turn molehills into mountains. This was only about the feds fining the Denver sheriff's dept for not accepting applications from legal, resident non-citizens. I happen not to see the horror in looking at an application. That doesn't mean anything more than in one instance there didn't seem to be anything wrong with seeing who was interested in a job.

HalvOnHorseracing
11-23-2016, 10:33 AM
Ding ding ding.

Thank you.
The invented the word for a reason. If the shoe fits...

Inner Dirt
11-23-2016, 10:36 AM
Condescending liberal spin. Isn't that an oxymoron over in alt-right world?

I have used the word condescending quite frequently for the last 10 years or so describing how liberals talk down to people who don't think like them, well before anyone heard of an alt right movement. If you don't believe me ask my liberal girlfriend of the last 10 years. I tell her that she sounds condescending all the time. She was one of those highly upset that the witch is dead. She made a first time visit to Pace Advantage the day after the election and read my posts about laughing at crying Clinton supporters. You can image how that has went over.:lol:

JustRalph
11-23-2016, 11:17 AM
Police officers take an oath to uphold the constitution of both the United States and the State in which they are commissioned/employed.

How a non citizen can make that pledge gives me pause

HalvOnHorseracing
11-23-2016, 11:42 AM
Police officers take an oath to uphold the constitution of both the United States and the State in which they are commissioned/employed.

How a non citizen can make that pledge gives me pause
They do it when they join the military. Doesn't seem to have been an issue there.

JustRalph
11-23-2016, 12:08 PM
They do it when they join the military. Doesn't seem to have been an issue there.

Very very different organizations and overwatch

delayjf
11-23-2016, 12:09 PM

Depending on their time in the US, the background check for law enforcement would be problematic as it is very extensive, almost the equivalent of a top secret clearance investigation. Police Officers exhibit authority over US civilians while military personnel do not.

Fager Fan
11-23-2016, 12:23 PM
And if you find yourself in a state/locality that permits non citizens to be in law enforcement?

If I know it, then I won't surrender to his authority. Then I'll make a huge deal about it in the press to highlight the absurdity.

Can you imagine any other country allowing something so absurd?

HalvOnHorseracing
11-23-2016, 12:27 PM
I have used the word condescending quite frequently for the last 10 years or so describing how liberals talk down to people who don't think like them, well before anyone heard of an alt right movement. If you don't believe me ask my liberal girlfriend of the last 10 years. I tell her that she sounds condescending all the time. She was one of those highly upset that the witch is dead. She made a first time visit to Pace Advantage the day after the election and read my posts about laughing at crying Clinton supporters. You can image how that has went over.:lol:
I would be lying if I said I wasn't stunned when Trump won, but upon reflection I have gotten past the election and am anxious to see whether Trump can fulfill most of his promises. You can't underestimate D.C. You need a lot of ocean to turn an oil tanker. Multiply that by a thousand and you have an idea of how hard it will be to turn Washington. I've been on record as not being a Hillary fan. And if people followed the threads, I was actually very careful not to disparage Trump in the same way a lot of people here disparaged Clinton (the Hag, etc.) Feel free to check that claim.

You may see some liberals talk down to the conservatives. I'm not sure what you called the disparaging treatment the conservatives gave the liberals here. From what I saw, you were giving as good as you were getting. How many posts did I read where the liberals were "stupid." Or inane. Two way street.

My fear is that Trump sold a long list of populist outcomes and that making them all come true is going to be a very tall mountain to climb. There are not going to be millions of coal jobs, if for no other reason than there never were more than about 750,000 jobs when coal was a primary fuel for electricity and industry. The markets for coal are dying for lots of reasons and they aren't likely to turn around soon. I don't think he'll get tariffs through. The last time it was tried (Obama trying to keep Chinese tires out of the country) it lasted a few months. Even if manufacturing jobs come back, they will be far more automated than ever. We no longer have a person attaching door handles to Fords. We have a machine guided by computer.

Trump tapped into what makes Americans angry. But even with the best of intentions, he's got a struggle. If he succeeds, I won't be unhappy at all. If he fails, I hope the Democrats nominate someone you can live with.

Inner Dirt
11-23-2016, 01:06 PM
You may see some liberals talk down to the conservatives. I'm not sure what you called the disparaging treatment the conservatives gave the liberals here. From what I saw, you were giving as good as you were getting. How many posts did I read where the liberals were "stupid." Or inane. Two way street.

I never called anyone ignorant, stupid or claimed to be smarted than them because their views differed. Most of my disdain of liberal speak does not come from here. I belong to a football fan forum based in the liberal capital of the USA. Most of the liberals there are like Most Post and worse. As a conservative I am greatly out numbered there. The liberals there love to call conservatives ignorant racists at every turn. Those are the folks I thought of when I was laughing at the crying Hillary supporters, not those who treat people with different opinions with respect.

Clocker
11-23-2016, 01:23 PM
I have used the word condescending quite frequently for the last 10 years or so describing how liberals talk down to people who don't think like them, well before anyone heard of an alt right movement.

I think that calls for coining a new word: Libsplaining. :p

Example: Don't be libsplaining that I don't know what is good for me if I complain about being forced to buy more health insurance than I think I need.

HalvOnHorseracing
11-23-2016, 02:46 PM
I never called anyone ignorant, stupid or claimed to be smarted than them because their views differed. Most of my disdain of liberal speak does not come from here. I belong to a football fan forum based in the liberal capital of the USA. Most of the liberals there are like Most Post and worse. As a conservative I am greatly out numbered there. The liberals there love to call conservatives ignorant racists at every turn. Those are the folks I thought of when I was laughing at the crying Hillary supporters, not those who treat people with different opinions with respect.
My experience is that most people are clustered between the middle right and the middle left. They define themselves by their prevalent positions, but it is an extreme rarity to find someone who is solely liberal, conservative or libertarian on every issue. The majority of people tend to be socially more liberal but fiscally more conservative. I expect most of us here are libertarian on gambling, regardless of our social or fiscal politics. The problem, is that neither party seems to fit the model of that liberal/conservative/libertarian mix. For example, I tend to be conservative about border security, but more liberal on treatment of immigrants once they have established legal residency. Once we've said, ok you can stay, they should be able to grab as much of the American dream as they are willing to work for. But in the same regard, there should be a very rigorous process of getting to legal residency. That's just my opinion, and for me it makes sense.

Liberal or conservative, if you are only willing to see things from a single, ideological point of view, I wouldn't expect to have a good dialogue.

JustRalph
11-23-2016, 05:47 PM
Depending on their time in the US, the background check for law enforcement would be problematic as it is very extensive, almost the equivalent of a top secret clearance investigation. Police Officers exhibit authority over US civilians while military personnel do not.

Exactly! The military members are supervised at a level that far exceeds a street cop or jailer too.

Even military cops are supervised well beyond a local or state officer.