PDA

View Full Version : Horse Burgers

MonmouthParkJoe
11-22-2016, 09:55 AM
Sometimes I think I have seen it all but reading this I have come to the conclusion I have not. In Louisville of all places. Wow!

http://www.paulickreport.com/horse-care-category/coming-soon-horse-burgers-sale-derby-town/

Inner Dirt
11-22-2016, 10:08 AM
When I saw the thread title I thought "What a strange name for a race horse." How disgusting that it was about humans eating horses.

MonmouthParkJoe
11-22-2016, 10:16 AM
I know people in other countries eat all types of things (Thanks Andrew Zimmer), just more shocked this is in Kentucky of all places.

Fox
11-22-2016, 10:26 AM
After the first sentence, I thought the article was headed in the direction of the meat being labeled with horse it came from. Like this burger is made with Smarty Jones meat. That would be more frightening.

bello
11-22-2016, 10:35 AM
Well you will know if you get one ridden by Jose Ortiz. It will still have the whip marks.

MonmouthParkJoe
11-22-2016, 10:40 AM
Well you will know if you get one ridden by Jose Ortiz. It will still have the whip marks.

Should be very tender :D

Seriously though, with the usual animal rights protesting that is done at some tracks, this fuels the fire. Now we eat our own. Not a good look

baconswitchfarm
11-22-2016, 10:54 AM
It's pretty good. Taste like a slightly different beef. Like beef to venison comparison.

barahona44
11-22-2016, 11:28 AM
I'm so hungry, I could eat a horse.
And now I can. :eek:

Tom
11-22-2016, 11:31 AM
They drink way too much bourbon in Kentucky.

EMD4ME
11-22-2016, 12:54 PM
I can't believe there isn't outright OUTRAGE HERE.

I for one, am blanken pissed about this. I say we cook up the owner and feed him to the horses.

REPULSED.

cj
11-22-2016, 01:00 PM

I for one, am blanken pissed about this. I say we cook up the owner and feed him to the horses.

REPULSED.

I guess it is a matter of perspective. Having lived in Europe for five years I saw horse meat everywhere, don't see the big deal. I don't want to see this happen to racehorses ever, but if they are raised for the purpose of food, doesn't bother me.

Light
11-22-2016, 01:38 PM
Slaughterhouses in the US were closed down in 2007. So now around 130,000 horses a year are sent to Canada and Mexico for slaughter for meat consumption.(Source:Reuters). Ferdinand is known to have died in a slaughterhouse. It is believed that his carcass was used to make pet food.(Source:The Blood-Horse)

Act (S. 1214/H.R. 1942) would ban the exportation of horses abroad for the purpose of slaughter and meat consumption. This bill has been on the table for several years and despite bipartisan support, it does not get enacted upon. Meanwhile over 100,000 horses continue to be slaughtered via exportation from this country. This includes "washed up" race horses.

River11
11-22-2016, 01:41 PM
Yes, we do and barrels of bourbon exceed population in the state.
http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2011/06/theres-more-bourbon-people-kentucky/352057/

Poindexter
11-22-2016, 01:47 PM

REPULSED.

I agree with you. I do not like any animals being consumed(went vegetarian about 30 years ago). But horses? That is just way overboard. Wish the owner of the Restaurant and the New Mexico farm nothing but the worst. Just awful.

cj
11-22-2016, 02:28 PM
Moving this since, in reality, it has nothing to do with horse racing.

Inner Dirt
11-22-2016, 07:46 PM
I can't see eating any animal that people keep as pets. Also people used horses for transportation and work animals for centuries. They aren't just for betting on. We owe them a better fate than to eat them.

fast4522
11-22-2016, 08:05 PM

Oh hell no, we need another thread for libations.

ReplayRandall
11-22-2016, 08:41 PM
Strange to see no Canucks in this thread. While in Toronto, most major supermarket chains sell horse meat on a regular basis....

VigorsTheGrey
11-22-2016, 08:53 PM
One old timer at the track told me they used to, I don't know if they still do, use horses for lions and other carnivores in zoos...shocking, but it kind of makes sense, I guess, after all, it is what lions eat in the wilds....the food chain is a shocking reality.... And I like my steak just as much as the next guy...the vegetarians of India have come to terms with carnivorous habits...but here in the west it is another story told....

Actor
11-22-2016, 09:00 PM
Strange to see no Canucks in this thread. While in Toronto, most major supermarket chains sell horse meat on a regular basis....Many years ago before I retired my employer sent two of my co-workers to Europe on business. When they returned one told this story.

The two of them went to a restaurant. Neither spoke the local language and they could not understand the menu. One of them saw a waiter taking a plate with a large thick steak to another table. "That! That! That!" he almost shouted to the waiter while pointing. The waiter smiled and said, "Ja. Pferdefleisch."

He ate the whole thing.

Actor
11-22-2016, 09:06 PM
As far as I'm concerned if it ain't human you can eat it provided you obtain it legally.

And I make no moral judgements about the Donner Party nor those people whose plane crashed in the Andes.

ReplayRandall
11-22-2016, 09:08 PM
Many years ago before I retired my employer sent two of my co-workers to Europe on business. When they returned one told this story.

The two of them went to a restaurant. Neither spoke the local language and they could not understand the menu. One of them saw a waiter taking a plate with a large thick steak to another table. "That! That! That!" he almost shouted to the waiter while pointing. The waiter smiled and said, "Ja. Pferdefleisch."

He ate the whole thing.

What part of Germany were your co-workers dining?...By any chance, was it the Osterreich region?

Actor
11-22-2016, 09:12 PM
What part of Germany were your co-workers dining?...By any chance, was it the Osterreich region?I have no idea other than it was somewhere near an American Air Force Base.

ReplayRandall
11-22-2016, 09:16 PM
I have no idea other than it was somewhere near an American Air Force Base.

It was probably Rhein-Main Air Base near Frankfurt....

rsetup
11-22-2016, 10:20 PM
How, refreshing: selective carnivores.

Zaf
11-23-2016, 12:21 AM
As far as I'm concerned if it ain't human you can eat it provided you obtain it legally.

And I make no moral judgements about the Donner Party nor those people whose plane crashed in the Andes.

Yes up here in the the great white north we eat Partridge, Moose etc. You won't find it in the Supermarket, but we have the proper credentials to hunt them legally.

Z

Fox
11-23-2016, 12:33 AM
It's sad to think that someone may be chowing down on a Monarchos burger as we speak.

Tom
11-23-2016, 09:38 AM
Yes up here in the the great white north we eat Partridge, Moose etc. You won't find it in the Supermarket, but we have the proper credentials to hunt them legally.

Z

I've had moose before - it is delicious.
I've only tried the chocolate so far. :p

Redboard
11-23-2016, 10:03 AM
Eating horseflesh has traditionally been frowned upon in the English-speaking world. Racing already has a bad image and this would be something that would add to that, if it became acceptable and commonplace. Back in the day when racing was the only game in town, it didn’t have to worry so much about image. It could thumb its nose at the general public. But nowadays when racing has its hand open for slots supplements, it has to worry about how its perceived by the public.

Frost king
11-23-2016, 12:30 PM
Slaughterhouses in the US were closed down in 2007. So now around 130,000 horses a year are sent to Canada and Mexico for slaughter for meat consumption.(Source:Reuters). Ferdinand is known to have died in a slaughterhouse. It is believed that his carcass was used to make pet food.(Source:The Blood-Horse)

Act (S. 1214/H.R. 1942) would ban the exportation of horses abroad for the purpose of slaughter and meat consumption. This bill has been on the table for several years and despite bipartisan support, it does not get enacted upon. Meanwhile over 100,000 horses continue to be slaughtered via exportation from this country. This includes "washed up" race horses.

So just out of curiosity, if these horses don't go to slaughter annually, what do you do with them? Who would feed them and look after them? There is already a problem with the wild horses and burros, so what becomes of these horses? It is fine and dandy to stand up and say they shouldn't be slaughtered, but once again, the question becomes who is to look after them?

Steve 'StatMan'
11-23-2016, 12:38 PM
PUtting them down on the farm is far more merciful than sending them off to slaughter. They are flight animals and used to being in their own stall, not packed in mass on a trailer. Livestock is one thing. Race horses are different, and since most have been treated with chemicals not allowed in animals for human consumption, former race horses are questionablee for eating for that reason alone. The wild horses that the Land Bureau has sold off to slaughter has been a disgrace, as are the used up Premarain mares. Ugly stuff. And yes, some still do get shipped out of the US to Mexico or Canada. By the way, if a man with a truck full of horses offers to buy your horse because it'd make a good riding pony for his daughter, be very suspect - the Killer Buyers are very good at Lying!

Light
11-23-2016, 01:33 PM
So just out of curiosity, if these horses don't go to slaughter annually, what do you do with them? Who would feed them and look after them? There is already a problem with the wild horses and burros, so what becomes of these horses? It is fine and dandy to stand up and say they shouldn't be slaughtered, but once again, the question becomes who is to look after them?

What is driving the need to slaughter horses is not horse overpopulation.It is the demand for horse meat in foreign countries.

The Dept of Agriculture found that over 90% of horses to slaughter were healthy and could continue to be productive.

"Kill buyers" purchase the healthiest horses for horse meat that is sold as a delicacy in some foreign countries.

So the "overpopulation of horses" requiring disposal is a smokescreen for the real reason horses are slaughtered: Profit.

Furthermore, horses are not raised as food and are given many substances banned by the FDA that does not oversee their human consumption.

Zaf
11-23-2016, 09:13 PM

:lol:

My buddies got a big one about 4 weeks ago, so its been a steady diet of Moose Burgers, Steaks and Stew. We won't be hungry this winter :)

Z

Zaf
11-23-2016, 09:15 PM

The Chocolate kind tops off a nice hearty Moose stew :D

Z

barahona44
11-23-2016, 11:10 PM
:lol:

My buddies got a big one about 4 weeks ago, so its been a steady diet of Moose Burgers, Steaks and Stew. We won't be hungry this winter :)

Z
You're eating Bullwinkle?
You savage!

Zaf
11-23-2016, 11:51 PM
You're eating Bullwinkle?
You savage!

Better than eating Felix The Cat :eek:

Z