PDA

View Full Version : I'm new here

bootyclause
11-18-2016, 06:01 PM
I did not exist previously.

I'm new to horse racing in the last six months, local to Meadowlands. Enjoy harness racing, attended or watched a dozen times or so. Same with thoroughbreds at Monmouth, Parx and online.

Still trying to learn, especially harness. I could probably think of over 50 questions about racing but for now I will just ask one.

Is there somewhere that gives an extensive explanation of all the different classes of races and all the abbreviations in the program for the previous race conditions? I'm interested in deeper knowledge of that subject, not just a brief summary. Asking about harness but also curious in thoroughbreds.

Also, in that same general topic, I see a lot of times where the description of the race conditions will say like "Fillies and Mares NW (I know that means "non-winners") $5000 in last 5 starts" - which seems straightforward but then I see that three of the horses in this race have higher winnings than that in their last 5, two of them have over 10,000 in winnings. (Looking randomly at race 4 tonight at the Meadowlands). I don't follow why the horses seem to contradict the stated conditions at times.

Any information is appreciated, thanks!

bootyclause
11-18-2016, 06:02 PM
actually that was two questions lol

Jess Hawsen Arown
11-18-2016, 06:14 PM
I did not exist previously.

I'm new to horse racing in the last six months, local to Meadowlands. Enjoy harness racing, attended or watched a dozen times or so. Same with thoroughbreds at Monmouth, Parx and online.

Still trying to learn, especially harness. I could probably think of over 50 questions about racing but for now I will just ask one.

Is there somewhere that gives an extensive explanation of all the different classes of races and all the abbreviations in the program for the previous race conditions? I'm interested in deeper knowledge of that subject, not just a brief summary. Asking about harness but also curious in thoroughbreds.

Also, in that same general topic, I see a lot of times where the description of the race conditions will say like "Fillies and Mares NW (I know that means "non-winners") $5000 in last 5 starts" - which seems straightforward but then I see that three of the horses in this race have higher winnings than that in their last 5, two of them have over 10,000 in winnings. (Looking randomly at race 4 tonight at the Meadowlands). I don't follow why the horses seem to contradict the stated conditions at times.

Any information is appreciated, thanks!

There are usually multiple conditions for a NW race. Look at the other conditions in tonight's 4th race. The 2, 5 and 9 are in for a claiming tag.

The 4th is one of the most competitive tonight. I give 5 horses a chance, but Kiwi Focus N (8) gets the call with the driver change to Gingras. 1,2,4 and 9 should also get some consideration. The 5 is not impossible, but she offers little value as the morning line favorite and I will look to beat her.

bootyclause
11-18-2016, 06:25 PM
thank you.

regarding the claiming aspect of that race - it says "optional claiming 12,500 NJ Sired or Owned Preferred" but then next to those three horses (2,5 and 9) it says "$15,000". Why is it a different number?

Ray2000
11-18-2016, 07:25 PM
Is there somewhere that gives an extensive explanation of all the different classes of races and all the abbreviations in the program for the previous race conditions?

Welcome bootyclause

The abbreviations can be found at the USTA website.
https://racing.ustrotting.com/abbrcodes.aspx

Claiming prices have allowances for young horses 2-3-4 yos. maybe that's the explanation. (I don't have the program in front me)

Good Luck and I hope you enjoy "The Dark Side" :)

bootyclause
11-18-2016, 07:54 PM
cool, thank you. more questions to come in the future.....

barahona44
11-18-2016, 09:24 PM
Welcome aboard.I myself only became interested in horse racing about 5 years ago, so I understand your desire to learn.Not that big on harness racing but I have been betting that more the last few months.There's a lot of knowledgeable folks who are glad to share what they know on this site.

Jess Hawsen Arown
11-19-2016, 11:24 AM
thank you.

regarding the claiming aspect of that race - it says "optional claiming 12,500 NJ Sired or Owned Preferred" but then next to those three horses (2,5 and 9) it says "$15,000". Why is it a different number?

You pointed out one of my complaints about what appears on the program.

In this instance, 12,500 is the base price. But they go for 15,000 because they are mares and mares get an allowance on top of the base price. Most programs provide allowance percentages based on age and sex.

The confusion comes the next time they race. You will see that they raced for 12,500 in their last race, and now they are going for 15,000 so you are misled that they are up in class. But the past performances always identifies the base price while the current line always gives the claiming price.

Now if you are looking to claim a horse, of course you want to know how much you have to spend, but they need to find a way to make it clearer.

Get ready to be more confused when January rolls around. 2, 3 and 4 yos become 3, 4 and 5 on January 1st, so the allowance goes down for those horses. You may think you are seeing drops in claiming price in January when there are none.

Always glad to see new blood in harness racing. Sadly it does not happen enough any more.

jwcomposer
11-19-2016, 02:45 PM
The next time you're at the Meadowlands on a Saturday, track me down. I'm the guy in the fox-hunt costume. I'll answer any questions of yours that I'm able.