PDA

View Full Version : Best Wishes to Frank Mirahmadi

theiman
11-14-2016, 10:45 PM
https://twitter.com/FrankMirahmadi/status/798274860640137216

Frank Mirahmadi ‏@FrankMirahmadi 6h6 hours ago
I am taking a leave from Golden Gate Fields for surgery. Michael Wrona starts fill-in this Thursday. I'll likely be out until December 26.

EMD4ME
11-14-2016, 10:48 PM
Best wishes Frank! You are appreciated and will be missed (despite me not playing GG :lol: )

VigorsTheGrey
11-14-2016, 10:49 PM
Best wishes Frank....

ultracapper
11-14-2016, 10:59 PM
Best wishes. I always enjoyed his segments on TVG when he was a regular anchor. He's one of those guys when I'd see him on TV that came across as one of the good ones. Good vibes.

whisperlunch
11-15-2016, 12:21 AM
Please Get well soon I hope they don't bring back the Shiela to announce GGif he can't make it

forced89
11-15-2016, 08:54 AM
Good luck to one of the good guys!

Big Peps
11-15-2016, 10:46 AM
Frank is my favorite race caller and I love Tony at the Lakes too, I know everybody has their opinions but I was pissed when Frank didn't get the Santa Anita gig.. heading to Finger Lakes today actually, got one in. Should be me and most likely two others

theiman
03-21-2017, 11:16 AM
LA Times Article on Miramahdi

Part of the article mentions he has Stage 3B Colon Cancer and is being treated for it.

The fact they found only two cancerous lymph nodes meant the staging was 3B. Four would have meant 3C. According to the American Cancer Society the five-year survival rate for 3B is 69%. For 3C it goes to 53%.

Mirahmadi is currently undergoing chemotherapy at UCLA. He goes every three weeks for the actual treatment and takes a strict regimen of pills in between. So far, things are going well, with some side effects, especially after an infusion.

“The way I look at it, like in a video game, I’m completely in bonus time right now,” Mirahmadi said.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/more/la-sp-race-caller-mirahmadi-20170320-story.html

Get better Frank. The game needs someone like you who makes it so much fun for the rest of us to enjoy.

Andy Asaro
03-21-2017, 01:16 PM

Part of the article mentions he has Stage 3B Colon Cancer and is being treated for it.

The fact they found only two cancerous lymph nodes meant the staging was 3B. Four would have meant 3C. According to the American Cancer Society the five-year survival rate for 3B is 69%. For 3C it goes to 53%.

Mirahmadi is currently undergoing chemotherapy at UCLA. He goes every three weeks for the actual treatment and takes a strict regimen of pills in between. So far, things are going well, with some side effects, especially after an infusion.

“The way I look at it, like in a video game, I’m completely in bonus time right now,” Mirahmadi said.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/more/la-sp-race-caller-mirahmadi-20170320-story.html

Get better Frank. The game needs someone like you who makes it so much fun for the rest of us to enjoy.

A really good race caller. Interesting article. Don't know if it's good for him to talk about gambling problem but it's his business.

Mr. Pick 5
03-21-2017, 02:27 PM
i hope this doesnt mean theyre bringing back angela herman :puke:

dilanesp
03-21-2017, 03:47 PM
A really good race caller. Interesting article. Don't know if it's good for him to talk about gambling problem but it's his business.

I think that's great.

30 years ago Bill Christine (a racing writer who didn't bet very much) wrote a great article about all the betting in race track press boxes. Unsurprisingly, almost all of his colleagues were losing players and some of them had serious addictions.

And the sports betting thing needed to be said too. A lot of people who can beat one gambling game insist on playing others they can't beat. Casual fans cannot beat the vig in sports betting.

I believe passionately in legal gambling, and strongly feel that anyone should have the right to place a bet on an outcome and experience that action. But we have to tell the truth about addicts and encourage them to get out before they ruin their lives. Miramahdi lost a good job due to a gambling problem. That's a story worth telling.

Andy Asaro
03-21-2017, 03:50 PM
I think that's great.

30 years ago Bill Christine (a racing writer who didn't bet very much) wrote a great article about all the betting in race track press boxes. Unsurprisingly, almost all of his colleagues were losing players and some of them had serious addictions.

And the sports betting thing needed to be said too. A lot of people who can beat one gambling game insist on playing others they can't beat. Casual fans cannot beat the vig in sports betting.

I believe passionately in legal gambling, and strongly feel that anyone should have the right to place a bet on an outcome and experience that action. But we have to tell the truth about addicts and encourage them to get out before they ruin their lives. Miramahdi lost a good job due to a gambling problem. That's a story worth telling.

Bill Christine and I became good friends. One of a kind writing style. For a sample do a search for Bill Christine Get out the lifeboats. Nobody has that kind of style.

reckless
03-21-2017, 04:13 PM
Bill Christine and I became good friends. One of a kind writing style. For a sample do a search for Bill Christine Get out the lifeboats. Nobody has that kind of style.

I know it isn't mentioned often but among horse racing turf writers, the very best to me was always Bill Christine.

To get to the thread, I hope and pray Frank Miramadhi beats this. He has a lot of fans cheering him on. Good luck Cheech.

Andy Asaro
03-21-2017, 04:18 PM
I know it isn't mentioned often but among horse racing turf writers, the very best to me was always Bill Christine.

To get to the thread, I hope and pray Frank Miramadhi beats this. He has a lot of fans cheering him on. Good luck Cheech.

In 2010 during the boycott Baffert was on my list (Dubaibob@). He got so pissed of that he replied to all asking that Bill Christine and I be banned from going to Santa Anita. I kid you not. It was great.

cj
03-21-2017, 04:41 PM
Anywhere to read that article besides the LAT web site? It is horrendous. I've tried everything to get it to load properly and it just keeps jumping all over when I try to read it.

Cratos
03-21-2017, 04:57 PM

A good and informative read about horseracing other than handicapping and wagering; thanks for posting the link.

dilanesp
03-21-2017, 05:51 PM

I am usually not much for the "human side" of horse racing- my idea of a great turf writer is Andy Beyer. :)

But if you wanted to read that sort of material, Christine was as good at it as anyone I have ever read. He did great stuff in 1985 on Spend A Buck's owners Dennis and Linda Diaz and why they skipped the Preakness, for instance.

cj
09-11-2017, 06:23 PM
Great news...

http://www.drf.com/news/announcer-mirahmadi-gets-clean-bill-health

jocko699
09-11-2017, 06:29 PM
Great news...

http://www.drf.com/news/announcer-mirahmadi-gets-clean-bill-health

:ThmbUp::ThmbUp::ThmbUp:

outofthebox
09-11-2017, 07:12 PM
Fantastic news...

VigorsTheGrey
09-11-2017, 10:38 PM
I am happy to hear this...great news.

lamboguy
09-11-2017, 10:45 PM
great guy, great news

JustRalph
09-11-2017, 11:44 PM
From coast to coast pizza parlors are celebrating! Way to go Frank!

ultracapper
09-14-2017, 01:31 AM
I am usually not much for the "human side" of horse racing- my idea of a great turf writer is Andy Beyer. :)

But if you wanted to read that sort of material, Christine was as good at it as anyone I have ever read. He did great stuff in 1985 on Spend A Buck's owners Dennis and Linda Diaz and why they skipped the Preakness, for instance.

Have no comment about the writer as I know zero about him, but I can write a two word article why the Diaz's skipped the Preakness: Bonus Opportunity

BELMONT 6-6-09
09-14-2017, 09:30 AM
Though I have never met frank, in person, he seems to be a very likeable personality in the NYRA live shows when he substitutes. Great news!!!

dilanesp
09-14-2017, 02:32 PM
Have no comment about the writer as I know zero about him, but I can write a two word article why the Diaz's skipped the Preakness: Bonus Opportunity

Obviously. But at a time when the Diazes were getting slammed in the press, Christine humanized them. I thought it was very good journalism.

AstrosFan
09-15-2017, 03:47 PM
i hope this doesnt mean theyre bringing back angela herman :puke:

She sure dropped off the horse racing map after that failed GGF adventure

Zaf
09-15-2017, 08:26 PM
Glad to hear Frank is doing great :headbanger:

Z

upthecreek
09-17-2017, 08:52 AM
https://twitter.com/FrankMirahmadi/status/907340071812165632