PDA

View Full Version : Where are they now?

OTM Al
07-20-2004, 10:54 AM
With the big meets at Del Mar and Saratoga coming and the BC on their heels I was flipping through some of last year's big races when I was struck by last year's BC Juvenile. My memory must be short because over half the field elicited a "Who??" from me. Have another look at this stellar lineup in order of finish

Action This Day
Minister Eric
Chapel Royal
Tiger Hunt
Consecrate
Capitano
That's an Outrage
Relaxed Gesture (IRE)
Race for Glory
Siphonizer
Mambo Train
Cuvee

It reminds me to take little or no stock in 2yos (at least the males, the filly field last year was better, but that is likely a maturity issue between colts and fillys) until about November or so.

kenwoodallpromos
07-20-2004, 05:51 PM
I'm mildly curious about how many 2 yr old starts each had, and how many 2 yr old starts the top 3 yr olds this year had (most of whom will not be running next year).
Maybe they were used up faster because they matured earlier than the others.
Maybe there are offspring of certain sires who mature and start winning earlier, like sprinters. Might be an angle worth looking into.

OTM Al
07-21-2004, 08:52 AM
I've always been of the opinion that the male 2yo champions are not better than their competition, just matured faster, and tend to go by the boards when the rest of their generation gets a few more months of growing. There are exceptions like Secretariat who was a monster at 2 and of course continued to be one, but they seem to me to be pretty rare. This is not so much true for the girls who seem to be much more mature as a group in the latter 2yo season. I would say we can start looking for a champ among them very soon, but for the boys not until at least November or so.

Tuffmug
07-21-2004, 10:10 PM
Colt or filly 2 YO champ is a great play AGAINST angle. They get bet heavy and hyped to the sky by the racing press.