PDA

View Full Version : Horseplayer now warning

Tom
11-13-2016, 06:59 PM
Getting a warning about thier website for night school....never got this before there. Anyone else getting this? Maybe they read here and get it fixed.

Tom
11-18-2016, 12:56 PM
Getting this now with both FF and IE and on several different computers.
New message says their site is not configured properly.

Don't THEY ever go their own website? :rolleyes:

Inner Dirt
11-18-2016, 01:09 PM
Getting the same type messages, I never heard of them till now thought I would check it out.

upthecreek
11-18-2016, 01:12 PM
I just get a warning on my browser on my Android tablet that their security certificate is out of date, I can ignore if I want

Longshot6977
11-18-2016, 07:40 PM
When you choose the 'advanced' box, you get this. Their security certificate is from weebly.com and their server could not prove it is from horseplayernow.com.

threegoldstars
11-18-2016, 08:59 PM
Assuming their URL starts with https://, they use a "digital certificate" to encrypt the data going from your browser to their web server. Generally, websites purchase a digital certificate from a certificating authority such as Verisign. Verisign verifies that they are who they say they are (by requiring such things as business licenses and identification be sent to them for review). Verisign then issues the certificate for installation on the website's web server. The certificate encrypts the data.

If their certificate has expired, which can happen if they are not paying attention, then browsers will give you an alert, which is, essentially, telling you that the data between your browser and the website's server is not encrypted and can be read by a "man in the middle" (a common type of hack).

I cannot say for certain that this is the issue, but I thought I would offer up this possibility, as it is a very common issue for small to medium sized websites that have purchased digital certificates.

Tom
11-19-2016, 11:09 AM
That is probably it, but in this day and age, that type of risk is unacceptable.
If you want to be on the web, you better be prepared to manage your site responsibly.