PDA

View Full Version : "Follow the buffer horse"

VigorsTheGrey
11-09-2016, 06:23 PM
In a quote regarding Champagne Room winning the Breeders Cup Juvenile Fillies, jockey Mario Gutierrez remarked.....about following the buffer horse:

MARIO GUTIERREZ: " Everything played out good, right? We got the win. We got the win. Just like how he said, you know, the main thing was like not to get in trouble with her. He helped a lot that she breaks really fast out of the gate, so that was a plus for us. She broke on top, and from that point on, the position really helped her as well. Then she was a little bit strong, but I was able to relax a bit in the backstretch and follow the buffer horse. From that point on, she was waiting until I said in the end, when I asked her, she was all game, she was all heart, and she demonstrated that all the way to the wire."

Now I assume what he means here is that horse provides a buffer against the rail or hedge...I often see the ouside horse outperforming the horse between it and the rail....any comments here about Mario's curious remark....

Also, kudos to Champagne Room, she ran a heck of a race!

Racetrack Playa
11-09-2016, 06:30 PM
:10: Noted and Quoted

VigorsTheGrey
11-09-2016, 06:40 PM
:10: Noted and Quoted

You are right, Playa, :10: Noted and Quoted functioned as that "buffer horse"
now what do you suppose he meant by that?

Racetrack Playa
11-09-2016, 06:45 PM
You are right, Playa, :10: Noted and Quoted functioned as that "buffer horse"
now what do you suppose he meant by that?
The Baffert horse.

VigorsTheGrey
11-09-2016, 06:59 PM
The Baffert horse.

That is very estute of you to have figured that out, Playa!

Thanks for your insight here!

AltonKelsey
11-09-2016, 10:55 PM
Reminds me of the Jose Santos derby controversy.

VigorsTheGrey
11-09-2016, 11:34 PM
Reminds me of the Jose Santos derby controversy.

How did that go again?

Racetrack Playa
11-10-2016, 06:58 AM
http://staugustine.com/stories/051203/spo_1530526.shtml#.WCRf82Mo7mI
"An article in the Miami Herald triggered the controversy, calling attention to the photograph that showed a mysterious black spot in Santos' right hand. Reporter Frank Carlson asked the jockey for an explanation and quoted him as saying that he was holding a "cue ring." This answer raised many questions because nobody in the racing business has heard of a cue ring. Santos later told another reporter he had been misunderstood and had said "Q-Ray," a bracelet used to treat arthritis. Obviously, Santos couldn't possibly have meant that he was holding a bracelet in the palm of his right hand. (He wears it on his left wrist.) The jockey doesn't speak English like an Oxford don, and there was obviously a great deal of miscommunication between him and his interviewers."