PDA

View Full Version : Good Article- "You Go Michael"

GR1@HTR
02-07-2002, 08:31 AM
LOOKING INTO THE WIZARD'S CRYSTAL BALL

by Michael Jay Kipness (A.K.A. "The Wizard")

I must admit that when there is something I want, especially when it comes to my livelihood as a
professional handicapper, I will go out and purchase it regardless of price. When TVG appeared on
the scene I quickly purchased a satellite dish, had a professional installer hook it up and was more
than happy to fork over the $50 plus dollars a month for programming. The dish was something
like $250 and with the installation the total came to about $500. I wanted the convenience of
watching several tracks in the comfort of my home.

Then The Racing Network (TRN) appeared and I wanted that too. I found out I would have to
purchase a separate satellite dish and called back the installer for a second installation. Then came
Trackpower with a few racetrack signals, which required a third satellite dish and another install.
Since this is my occupation, I wanted it all.

I could set up my own private simulcast outlet and never have to leave home again. No more coming
home with my clothes stinking of second hand smoke. No more long drives to the track. I could
have it all within feet from my bedroom. So I built a private office above my garage for privacy with
five phone lines -- two for telephone, one for fax and two for computers. I would never get shut out
or miss a race from any track in which I had an interest. And I would never go thirsty or hungry
because my kitchen was only five seconds away.

My computer was hooked up to BRIS's SuperTote so I could watch the odds and exotic payoffs. I
would never miss a call from one of my employees in the field to report late changes. I felt like the
king of handicappers ready to attack on all fronts.

Then as soon as I had it all, it was taken away without any warning. All the money invested in
equipment and installs was going down the drain. Trackpower was the first to go broke and
discontinued service without any warning.

Then it was TRN, which was my favorite. It had some commentators but they were more like air
traffic controllers moving the action along from race to race, track to track. Less interference, more
racing action and live odds were their goal and they accomplished it rather nicely. Nothing disgusts
me more sometimes than those talking heads on TVG. They can be so annoying and are geared
toward the novice horse player. This was not the case on TRN, and the price was right, something
like $24.95 a month. However, this good thing did not last either.

TRN pulled the plug without much warning and I was stuck with two dishes on the roof of my
home that were useless. With $1000 down the drain, all that was left was TVG. It has the product I
want and I'm able to mute the ridiculous commentators until the race comes on.

Now comes word that TRN will once again be revived, but this time The Wizard will not be
purchasing it! And I am pleading with everybody to pass on it as well. I'll give you my reasons.

Frank Stronach, who in my opinion has done nothing for this game except to prove what a
scoundrel he is, has once again showed his true colors with the revival of TRN, which will be called
the Racetrack Television Network (RTN). Stronach will place all Magna tracks (Gulfstream Park,
Santa Anita, Bay Meadows and Golden Gate Fields are the main ones) on RTN exclusively. This
new racing channel will be available nationwide but there is a big hitch.

Subscribers will have to purchase equipment from Stronach's company at a cost of around $300.
Then one will have to hire an installer to put it up for an additional cost and the real slap in the face
is that it costs $99 a month for the privilege to view his tracks. Greed, Greed, Greed! Does anybody
not recognize Stronach's tactics for what they are? It's like he's stepped into the arena of
Thoroughbred racing with the idea that horseplayers are idiots and he'll fleece them for every dollar
they have.

Cable TV with 900 channels only costs $50-$60 a month. The NFL Ticket sports package for the
entire season is only $149. If you want to watch Santa Anita, Gulfstream and all the Magna-owned
tracks, it will cost you about $1200 a year. Is there one reasonable person in the world (a
non-Magna employee) who can justify this expense? This is enough to make me want to throw up.

Stronach's new venture is totally structured toward the big player, horse owners and people with a
lot of disposal income. The little guy, the players who supports this game, are once again shafted
and shut on just by the sheer expense. Magna will eliminate on-air expenses by only showing races
(no studio hosts) and subscribers will be betting through Stronach's account wagering service
Xpress-bet on his own tracks. They've gotten rid of a lot of overhead but won't be passing on the
savings to the customer. Instead, they'll gouge the customer for all they can.

Magna should absorb the cost of the equipment if someone wants the service and charge $24.95 a
month for it. I guarantee Stronach would more than make it up with wagers going to Xpress-bet. Or
they could have us pay for the equipment and charge nothing for the service. Another option is a
plan where from every dollar wagered a portion goes to the cost of the equipment and service so
that the price ends up somewhat affordable. Of course there's no chance of this because Stronach
wants it all.

The contempt for good, old-fashioned competition and the everyday player is just disgusting. I can
certainly afford the service. It would be a nice tax write-off for me and make my life a lot easier as
far as my work goes. But I refuse to support what Stronach is doing and I hope you will do the
same. A lot of people supported Stronach when he first got into the game buying tracks and talking
about deregulation and free markets. I wonder how his supporters back then feel now about his
latest ploy to line his pockets.

karlskorner
02-07-2002, 09:36 AM
GR1

I think the article by Steve Moody is more to the point and worthwhile reading.

Both articles can be found at

www.tsnhorse.com/cgi-bin/HTML/edge.html

Handicappers Edge, scroll down to the Wizards's article and Moody's underneath

Karl
__________________________________________________ _
A profit at the race track isn't a profit until you spend it somewhere else.

GR1@HTR
02-07-2002, 09:53 AM
Thanks for the heads up...Part of my pro-active daily routine at the office it to print out Handicappers Edge so that I can use it for reading material when I go to the pooper. Best to be prepaired w/ reading material and not try to "risk" or press it searching for literature at the last minute. Some of those battles can not be won...Well anyways, I usually read till the deal is done....Guess I just finished "early" and didn't get a chance to read beyond the Kipness article. Some days it's a sprint, other days it's a marathon...

:)

ceejay
02-07-2002, 10:12 AM
GR1

Thanks for sharing that. I think that your full explanation was more than I needed to know [LOL]!

Alc
02-07-2002, 04:40 PM
So well stated. Thanks. I also subscribed to TRN and to TRACKPOWER and now have TVG. No way that Frankie will get one cent at 100/mnth.

GR1@HTR
02-07-2002, 04:57 PM
Yeah, I honestly could live just fine w/o ever wagering on his tracks. In matter of fact, a boycott would be just fine with me. To many other tracks w/ good and better products out there. Next thing you know, he might even try to raise the take out.

takeout
02-07-2002, 06:32 PM
And speaking of takeout, in MD they're thinking about putting it back where it was. Talk about closing the barn door! It may take a lot more than that at this point.

$4 million in renovation funds may be transferred to purses
http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/horseracing/

smf
02-07-2002, 08:06 PM
I would gladly pay $100 a month for a service that would show the old TRN menu of thoroughbred tracks **on a consistent, daily basis**. TRN/ RTN has shown that they can't do this however.

Yesterday I saw Laurel. Today, no Laurel, even tho only 2 tracks were being shown early in the day (before the cal tracks came on). Also, no OP, even tho they usuaully show OP. You have no idea what's going to be shown from one day to the next! (sounds like tvg)

At $100 per month, Stronach is obviously after serious bettors. When his schedules are screwed up as badly as tvg's, then no one other than the most fanatical Californians will sign up. And I think Magna's grossly overestimating the potential # of subscribers from CA.

For the record, all the bad things said about Magna/ Stronach can be doubled for CDSN/ Meeker, imho. That group is every bit as bad for racing. Just another reason for me to love the Fairgrounds :)

takeout
02-08-2002, 02:11 AM
Years ago I used to watch a replay show on Home Team Sports. I liked the show but it was an underlay, too. My particular cable company was the only one in the area that had the gall to charge for it as a premium channel. The whole thing ended up being a bust anyway because I would set the VCR and then come home to find one of those damn infomercials where the replay show should've been. That show never seemed to come on at the same time.

They didn't get it then and they don't get it now.

MikeDee
02-08-2002, 08:14 AM
I say lets boycott Magna's new channel, don't buy it even if you are willing to pay $100 @ month. Who is he kidding? Does he think that fat cat owners and trainers will set around the TV sets all day watching races? I doubt it. As far as I'm concerned they are price gouging SOB's.

Do any lawyers read this stuff? I bought TRN last march and agreed to 1 year of service for free equipment. They "suspended" service in July. They did not go out of business, they still operate internationally.

Now the same principals have just reformed and offer the same thing at $100 @ a month. As far as I am concerned this is just a sham to avoid living up to their end of my agreement with them to provide me with 12 months of service at 29.95 @ month.

There must be a number of people in the same situation as me, is there a basis for a class action lawsuit here? Can I take them to small claims court? I’d like to do something to show them that you just can't always ride roughshod over the racing public and get away with it.

ranchwest
02-08-2002, 09:57 AM
Lawsuits are messy. You might want to try going to the state attorney general first. Who knows? The AG might force compliance with little effort on your part.

MikeDee
02-08-2002, 12:19 PM
state AG in Ohio is not at home wagering friendly, got winticket to move operation to OR from Couumbus Oh with threats of investigation. I wouldn't expect much from that source

John
02-11-2002, 10:05 AM
For the above reason I went back to the track. My local track is doing bad so they gave me a all year nice box with my own TV for all the simulcast races . The box seats 4 so I have a partener to shar the price of the box.. The box is 30 yards from the windows and I never get shut out. I love it.