PDA

View Full Version : Did any of the favorites win in the BC

RacingFan1992
11-08-2016, 12:56 AM
I'm not sure if these were the favorites but it seemed like the big popular horses didn't have the race people thought they would.

Flintshire and Found lost.
Ironicus, Tepin, and Miss Temple City lost
Songbird got beat by Beholder.
Arrogate beat California Chrome.

If anyone knows please post.

SharpCat
11-08-2016, 02:10 AM
The only favorite to win was Obviously in the Turf Sprint.

Redboard
11-08-2016, 09:59 AM
Yes. It was a very un-chalky weekend. Last year four betting favorites won(Lians Map, AP, Runhappy, Songbird). Two years ago, when it was in Santa Anita, there were also four(Goldencents, Lady Eli, Untapable, Judy the Beauty).

I have to say that the morning line odds were pretty bad this time. Of the 13 races, he missed the betting favorite six times(Good Samaritan, La Coronel, American Gal, Obviously, Carina Mia and Limato) . There was plenty of off-shore betting going on during the week leading up to the races, all he had to do was google who was going to be the favorite. No excuse.

dilanesp
11-08-2016, 02:44 PM
Yes. It was a very un-chalky weekend. Last year four betting favorites won(Lians Map, AP, Runhappy, Songbird). Two years ago, when it was in Santa Anita, there were also four(Goldencents, Lady Eli, Untapable, Judy the Beauty).

I have to say that the morning line odds were pretty bad this time. Of the 13 races, he missed the betting favorite six times(Good Samaritan, La Coronel, American Gal, Obviously, Carina Mia and Limato) . There was plenty of off-shore betting going on during the week leading up to the races, all he had to do was google who was going to be the favorite. No excuse.

I don't know how to make a morning line, so this is only a guess.

But I bet line-makers try to discount the early betting somewhat. There's been many cases, especially in the Triple Crown, for instance, where the horse who is the early favorite does not go off the favorite as the betting shifts.

I'm not saying what they should do or whether this is right, but I bet they are aware of this and try to make their own prediction rather than looking at current odds.

SG4
11-08-2016, 10:33 PM

Tough BC to nail down who the favorites were going to be ahead of time. American Gal & Limato were shocking to me as favorites. I thought Oscar Performance was an 8-5 shot, I might never understand the betting on that race. Any sheets players, was he rated ridiculously slower than the others perhaps?

cj
11-08-2016, 10:37 PM
At one close to post time for the Turf Sprint, four or five horses were all 5-1, the lowest odds on the board. Obviously took all the late money.