PDA

View Full Version : First Santa Anita Trip/BC

MonmouthParkJoe
11-06-2016, 09:24 PM
Greetings,

Just got back from my first trip to Santa Anita. I had been to a BC before at Monmouth, but always wanted to check this track out. After scoring some sweet tickets, it was a done deal.

Wife flew in Wednesday and we left from Tucson first thing Thursday morning. The card ride took about 7 hours and was painless. Straight drive on 10 and was no problem. Highlight of the drive was seeing a palm tree nursery. Yes, I like palm trees.

Hit El Monte at about 330pm, dinner reservations at 5:15 at the Derby. I had printed out their menu for the long drive and was looking forward to it. Checked into our hotel in El Monte (honestly was pretty nice), showered up and headed over. We were seated no problem, order a couple drinks and checked out the menu. It was at this point I noticed that the same exact menu items from the website were all bumped up $7-12 for each item on their breeders cup menu. I started to lose it and asked for a manager. I understand its a big weekend, but at least have the menu on the website reflect those prices. Spoke to a manager and was give $25 off the meal making up for the price differences. I had chicken Marsala that was excellent, wife had shrimp scampi that was the best I have ever had.

Friday was the start of day 1 and I was pleasantly surprised at how beautiful the track is. We ubered there and back and it was pretty simple, got there roughly 9:45. The track with the mountains as a back drop is breath taking. We had box seats and seats in the chandelier room, so were able to move around pretty easily. The luxury areas are top notch, weather was perfect. I can see why it is here all the time. That being said, lets bring it back east! Didnt hit one bet all day, and it was topped off by songbird losing by a nose. Awesome

Saturday was a marathon that started at 9am with a couple bloody marys. Weather was a little cooler thank god. Ubered in again. The enclosure area was nice for an up close look at the horses. Place didnt feel crowded at all, that is until we left at the end of the day. More of the same, didnt hit one bet all day. Easily worst weekend ever in terms of wagering, but still had an amazing time. I was surprised to see so many top horses like Tepin, Lady Eli, Flintshire, Found, CC, Dortmund, and Songbird lose. Saw alot of people I havent seen in a while, drank and ate like a king and got my teeth kicked in at the windows. I would do it again in a heart beat.

The parking lot situation at the end was a nightmare. Couldnt find our uber, decided to walk out the place and up the road to an area that was clear. Found ourselves at a Dennys with a huge light up windmill. I have never eaten at a Dennys before, so we tried it then called an uber. wasnt impressed :D

All said and done it was an amazing experience. Gorgeous track, but on a regular day you can give me a picnic table at Monmouth or Saratoga over this place. Never felt crowded and customer service was top notch.

PaceAdvantage
11-07-2016, 02:44 PM
Nice pics, thanks for sharing! Awesome dog you two have there! :ThmbUp:

lamboguy
11-07-2016, 03:06 PM
what a cool dog